Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 3:14 am

I never cared about coleslaw until visiting Memphis and now I crave it. Anyone know a good recipe? I've tried a lot and they all sucked.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 3:30 am

cole slaw is the most versatile thing

you can do whatever you want to it. experiment to find what you like best. there is no wrong way (if you like the results)

i guess the thing to ask yourself - what about your other recipes sucked? too sweet? too tangy? too creamy?

round here (NYC), some people do slaw w/ only a vinegar-based dressing - no mayo, no mustard, etc. - cabbage, shredded carrots and that's about it - experiment w/ vinegars - apple cider vinegar is nice and so is rice wine vinegar

i like to use plain yogurt w/ my shredded cabbage, shredded carrots
i've put in golden raisins w/ this. celery seed is a must

in memphis, at payne's, they use good old yellow hot dog mustard in their dressing and it glows in the dark
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 3:48 am

my tips: colemans mustard powder. white pepper, sparingly. cabbage & jalapenos. celery salt. caraway seed. try whipping cream instead of mayo. I don't like carrots in my slaw.

the ingredients are so cheap you should just experiment until you come up with something you like.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 3:50 am

I was craving the old Kentucky Fried Chicken cole slaw the other night.

I would imagine there is tons of sugar in that but how do you get that watery quality? I'd like to have some that isn't so creamy.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 4:25 am

how do you get that watery quality?

they process the shit out of the cabbage obviously - to get it that tiny and uniform and that releases the cabbage's natural liquid, and then they add salt, which releases it more, then they have their dressing AND its packed up and just sits there drowning in its own liquid.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 7:14 am

when you mix mayo and salt and sugar it breaks down the mayo and makes it watery

my pops makes really good coleslaw
sometimes he puts poppy seed in it
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks! Everything up here (Canada) is sugar and mayo. I'll keep trying.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 3:05 pm

I would imagine there is tons of sugar in that but how do you get that watery quality
Way back when, I did time in the col's army. The cole slaw is really simple: cabbage, carrots and their dressing. You throw the vegetables in a buffaloe chopper, turn the crank a few times, add dresssing, viola! instant cole slaw. The dressing is just mayo, sugar and vinegar, salt, pepper. The watery-ness comes from the salt leeching out the liquid from the cabbage. Thats why the longer it sits, the more watery it becomes.

I really like "asian" style slaw. Mix cabbabge, carrots, jicama (sp?) with a dressing made with sweetened rice wine vinegar, sesame oil (just a little), lime juice, cilantro and red pepper flakes. Grill a steak. slice it thin and serve over the slaw.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks! I think I am going to try to replicate the Colonel's cole slaw this summer--it is one of those foods that is delicious on one of the first scorchers of the summer. It is like baby food.

That "asian" version sounds awesome...Ryan made a similar one with jicama once for a Mexican salad. Delicious.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 5:31 pm

Oh yeah, add a little soy sauce to the dreesing, too.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 6:22 pm

Isn't there a guy who writes cookbooks by figuring out how to make common 'famous' foods (shit from Nabisco, McDonalds, etc)?

I swear I saw a reference to him on this board once.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®