Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Memphis BBQ Reports...
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 9:02 pm | Edited by: extramsg

Hope it's okay to post a couple links. Was checking out the hullabaloo about Joe and Fierydrunk and figured I'd put some links to a friend and mine's trips to Memphis for BBQ. My personal favorite from my trip was Central BBQ's ribs. My friend's favorite from his trips was probably Payne's sandwich:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=26

http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=15

http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=35

Central BBQ's Wonderful Ribs
[img]http://www.extramsg.com/albums/album98/centralbbq7.sized.jpg[/img ]

Payne's Sandwich
[img]http://www.dallasfood.org/photos/memphisbbq/memphistwo/paynessand wich. jpg[/img]
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 9:11 pm

warning: if you are hungry, the pictures on those sites will ruin you! holy crap, I want a payne's sandwich right now!!!!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 9:27 pm

http://www.dallasfood.org/photos/memphisbbq/memphistwo/paynessandwich. jpg

Thanks for the links- some good barbecue-eating stories. and yeah, that payne's sandwich looks amazing. it IS amazing!

Central BBQ is around the corner & doesn't have a good rep (kinda the Corky's of midtown) but i'll give it another shot one of these days.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 9:30 pm

Nick-

You made it!

Nick runs the other popular food site based in Portland, www.extramsg.com and also host the food forum www.portlandfood.org both of which are very entertaining and informative.

Check 'em out.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 10:34 pm

Ahhhhhhh! World's collide.

That is your friend's site in Dallas??? I have that Payne's photo on my desktop.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 2:10 am

i think about payne's BBQ sandwich at least twice a day since having one last september.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 3:47 am

i think about payne's BBQ sandwich at least twice a day since having one last september.

are you back in NYC now? if you are - go to Bar BQ on 6th Ave and 20th St in Park Slope, Brooklyn. that's my former roommate's place. pretty damn good. you won't regret it. ITs #1 in Citysearch...
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 10:48 pm

Eric, I just got off the phone with Ron from Cheapskates and he claimed "Tom's BBQ" over near his skateshop was the best in town. He's been there for ages, but is he crazy??
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 12:05 am

yes, Ron is crazy... like a fox!

i think Tom's is the weird little shack that's never open? or is that on lamar?

i gotta go see Ron sometime so i'll try to get to the bottom of whatever's going on over there.

i said i'd go check out central bbq, but how can i when paynes is right down the street?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:08 am

hey theresa, thanks! i'll check that place out. i've gone to BISCUIT on flatbush a few times. its pretty decent, but definitely missing that empty gymnasium feeling that paynes had...and the bright yellow slaw
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:24 am

I really like Central BBQ most of the time. Granted, I only get ribs there. My problem is that it can be inconsistent. In fact, their ribs have a "no-no" factor to them most of the time, in that the meat falls off the bone via gravity. I've heard from some "experts" that you should be able to pull the meat with your teeth with hardly any effort, but if you shake the bone over your plate, the meat should not fall off. Sometimes I've had it where you can grab two bones to split, and they will pull right out of the meat. Whatever, usually great ribs, and I have some Dancing Pig powder at the house.

And, no, you can't beat a Payne's sandwich.

However, I plan on getting some BBQ from Windy's Pop's place this week or next.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:27 am

i've gone to BISCUIT on flatbush

isn't Biscuit closed now?

by the way, the slaw at Bar BQ is red cabbage and its not the creamy kind. both the slaw and potato salad use vinegar based dressings. we were all vinegar fans in that house -- although, you can get a multitude of BBQ sauces there... hot, sweet, vinegary, thick... you name it
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 9:10 pm

Three Little Pigs, at Quince & White Station, makes a fantastic pulled pork sandwich.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 9:31 pm

Central BBQ dry ribs have a teriyaki-peppery taste. that reminded my of beef jerky. I love beef jerky, but I am not a fan of ribs that taste like it. The pork sandwiches are VERY DRY.

River City BBQ on Lamar makes a great pulled sandwich, but the ribs are lame.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:00 pm

three little pigs - that's by our bowling alley!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:37 am

Central BBQ has a decent sausage sandwich. It's the only thing there I've like.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:55 am

On Jeopardy tonight there was a question that was along the lines of "A popular kind of Southern sandwich is made out of chopped or pulled THIS"

Made me think of this thread and how I've never eaten a chopped pork sandwich... which made me sad.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:43 pm

One more reason to move to MEM.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:48 pm

chopped pork sandwich
I like chopped better than pulled. When I think of pulled, I think of either Carolina style bbq or people who have never had real bbq trying to create that smokey flavor in their oven.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 6:16 pm

Pulled just reminds me of the BBQ sandwiches you get at the school cafeteria.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 6:49 pm

I like the little crusty bits you get with the chopped. There is no good pig bbq here in Austin. I can get smoked loin and we have one of the those chain Smokey Bones places. I'd even settle for a Tops sandwich about now.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:05 pm

I like the crusty bits but more than anything that super soft piece that melts in your mouth for about 25 seconds. I cannot wait! I swear I will have to pack one up on the plane for Ryan as I don't think he can come with this time.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:37 pm

Man I just remembered a Thai I place we used to eat at in Austin...called Thai Passion...shit was really good. I was into the drive up cheap ass taco joints too...one right by the airport...have authentico breakfast burrto type deals...good. I also remember some like hip market...huge with the craziest variety of fruits and veggies Ive ever seen...the also had all kinds of gourmet foods, wine, cheese, all kinds of beer etc. and a deli and a cafe.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Thai Passion is good and I've 5-6 taco places within about 3 miles from my house in Beautiful South Austin. As for the "hip" market, we've got Central Market and the new mother-of-all Whole Foods. Central Market is good for seafood and bread and hard to find condiments. Whole Foods is just too much. The food rules, it's the millionaire hippies that drive me fucking crazy.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:07 pm

Central Market..thats it!! Place was pretty badass, but i did snse the millionaire hippy type for sure...actually all throughout Austin..."Trustafarians" as we used to call them.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®