Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:20 pm

Really really good right now. Buy them.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:37 pm

yes winter is the season.

the ones you have - are they sicilian? spanish? israeli? or from california?

sunkist started growing them - i noticed the groves last time i drove out into citrus land, and started seeing them in stores in the last 3-4 years.

nothing beats a spanish or sicilian blood orange though - the right balance of tart & sweet
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:41 pm

I have two versions and all I know is one is organic and one isn't. The non-organic ones are sweeter than the organic ones. The organic ones have a great aftertaste, though. I am a big fan. I would imagine they came from California as I am in Oregon.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 5:48 am

the organic ones probably DO come from california

at dean & deluca in NYC, you can get blood oranges from sicily and from spain. there are other markets where i see the ones from israel.... i don't think these are organic, but maybe the israeli ones are if they come from one of those agricultrally advanced kibbutzes
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 5:40 pm

mmmmm, mixed green salad with blood orange sections, crumbled blue cheese and a balsamic vinegarette.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 5:41 pm

try a salad of shaved fennel w/ blood oranges, shaved parmesan and balsamic (vinegar only) drizzled over it
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:16 pm

Does fennel taste like fennel seed? if so, I cannot eat it. The mixed green version is very do-able! I found out the oranges are from California (went back and bought more). I will be pretty sad when they are out of season...they are perfect!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:47 pm

the california ones have a much longer growing season than the mediterranean ones
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:49 pm

But tell me about the fennel!

Are the Mediterranean ones in season now as well?
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:53 pm

Fennel tastes like lettuce flavored lightly with anise.

Fresh, watery, crunchy, bracing, SLIGHTLY licorice-y.

Really good, though, despite that sorta odd desription.

Theresa K's on the money with that salad. Another good one is blod oranges, avocado, and olives, drizzled with a bit of balsamic.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:55 pm

BLOD oranges are like "blood oranges" except they're from Ukraine.

HA! Kidding! How crude of me.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:58 pm

You mean "blod" oranges drizzled with "Kwel".

Ahhhh...no fennel pour moi. I hate licorice. My dad used to use fennel seed way too liberally when I was a kid. That shit was in EVERYTHING from omelets to meat loaf. I tried to ask him to not put it in my omelets and I think eventually he got the picture. Anise flavored eggs? What a weirdo.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 7:01 pm

Oh man, I totally forgot about blod ogange and Kwel salad. Truly the perfect dish.

I have to get some coffee now before I lose my mind. If only Tiny's wasn't so far away... I hear they've got a hot new barista.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 7:08 pm

mediterranean blood oranges season is dec/jan/feb

joe's description of fennel is pretty accurate. it is an acquired taste, i suppose but the texture and toothiness....yeah!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®