Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / A Lady who Lunches - Women's Exchange today
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:59 pm

Today was my mother's birthday, and she wanted to go to the Women's Exchange with my great aunt-Clarice, her two 50ish daughters, Carol and Susan, and Cousin Linda.
I had never been. Talk about weird Southern dining experiences! There were four lunches to choose from. My catfish was so salty I couldn't eat it, mighty flaky, though. Aunt Clarice had tomato aspic. The waitresses all look like aging Stepford women, or really old Southern white women. There's a huge area on the way in with hand smocked and hand made baby clothes and dolls. High pitched squeals come from thataway every so often during lunch.

Memphis girls, y'all know about this?
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:09 pm

Oh yeaaaaaah. It was a thing every once in awhile with my great grandmom to go there. I have their recipe book from way back...and it has some great ones in it. All of the recipes are signed like so:

"Mrs. Bill Dunivant III"

etc
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:15 pm

Aunt Clarice had tomato aspic.

What the fuck did you just call me?
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:16 pm

Kiss and hug your Mom Alisa....as of Wednesday night February 1st at 10pm, I no longer can......but she ain't suffering no more.
Had 85 fantastic years and a shitty last 4 months......don't want to bring anyone down but.....my heart is broken.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:16 pm

I figured you'd know. How long has it been in operation? I cannot believe my grandmother never took me there.

I LOVE those old Southern cookbooks...old Junior Leagues. My very favorite is called "Southern Cooking by Mrs. S. R. Dull"!!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:18 pm

Damn Golightly, I'm really sorry. I can't even think about what I'll go through when that happens. It was hard enough just hearing my grandma had cancer.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:19 pm

You're an aspic. A tomato aspic.

Very sorry, Golightly. Very, very sorry. 85 fantastic years and 4 shitty months is a very good thing, though. The best thing that can be said is that it's wonderful she left behind a son who obviously appreciated her so much.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:21 pm

I am sorry Golightly. The whole idea of that terrifies me.

Alisa, YEARS. Definitely before I was born ('68). I used to hate it because I had to wear my prissiest clothes and GLOVES. I was A Little Doll. Remember that clothes store that used to be in the space of the Poplar Plaza at the corner of Highland/Poplar? Clothes that came from that place.

Those old Southern cookbooks...snatch them up. Collectible and really good for desserts, baking etc.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:28 pm

I was a little doll, too! A little older, but...yeah, totally gloves, and no white shoes and all that stuff. Gerber Tea Room...
We didn't go to that store, although we lived really near for a while. Grandmother bought all my clothes at The Helen Shop, thank you.
http://static.flickr.com/26/65132620_aa3f97184f.jpg
I LOVED that coat.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:29 pm

Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:38 pm

HOT!!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:40 pm

Look at you!
Uber-cool
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:44 pm

Aww. Though that might border on perve, Joe.
Note in Christmas picture I was so Southern girlhood that I had to put some curling ribbon from a package in my hair!

That is why I'm so shocked I'd never been to the Women's Exchange!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:44 pm

I had one pair of white shoes that were gross Buster Browns--I used to play with the spongy white shoe polish applicator and squish too much polish over em.

I had different clothing expectations from all sides...my fave shoes were my white clogs with cork heels and my squeeky patent leather WHITE gogo boots. But if I had worn either around the grandparents? Whoa no. Black patent leather. White socks. And those obscenely short dresses. Can you believe how short those things were? I cringe thinking about all the pervs.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:47 pm

Hey, all I'm sayin is that you ladies who grew up in the 70's did it right. Or maybe your parents did it right- whatever. The point is, us kids of the 80's were hardly that lucky.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:51 pm

I lived with my grandma, and mom and brother, til I was ten. So, everything had to pass inspection. No go-go boots for me. My paternal grandma was almost worse. She was a hotty totty in the 40s, and 50s. Every Christmas she wore a white housecoat with gold brocade all over it and gold sparkly slippers. I was doomed.
God, you brought back some kind of primal memory of squishing that shoe polish. Even when I grew up and was in college I used to shine my shoes with vasoline...couldn't afford the actual polish then.
Today my mother delighted in telling me all the colors of little kid (as in leather) Mary Janes I had.

I still have a couple of my little girl dresses. And, wore nylon panties with ruffles under them. Pervs indeed...
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:51 pm

No kidding. I would always comment to my dad on how sorry I felt for my little brother who was an 80's kid by saying (a-hem), "Even his commercials SUCK compared to what we had."
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:53 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I have one of mine left. My sweet granny made it--white cotton with an empire waist and Holly Hobby buttons on the bodice. Hanging beside a Dutch Milkmaid outfit from the stripper store. Also worn with ruffley panties. OW!!!!!

Ooh. Did you have RED Mary Jane's? Loved those.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:55 pm

Yeah- hold on a minute.

You girls can't just talk about how short your skirts are and how ruffled your panties and then call us pervs. Jeez!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:56 pm

Sorry, man.

Alisa, hit me up over at gmail and we can compare notes.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:59 pm

Yes, red. Though my mother delighted most in telling me about the pink ones today.
And, way holdover, I still have red Mary Jane's! Some things you just don't outgrow.

Yeah, you're right, Joe. Hard to believe that once upon a time pervs didn't enter into the picture of short little girl dresses with ruffled panties.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 1:37 am

Anyone remember when Sears actually had a charm school. It was a course of several weeks. My mom sent my sister and thought she was doing pretty well... ridding her of all of the Frayserian influences... when one night at dinner, we all discovered that my brother had been teaching her how to belch and belch is a sustained and resonant way.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 2:09 am

oh my...I think I might have actually gone to that when I was little. This is bringing back all kinds of little Memphis doll memories...
Remember that clothes store that used to be in the space of the Poplar Plaza at the corner of Highland/Poplar? Clothes that came from that place.
Wasn't this called "Youngtown"?
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 3:09 am

This isn't about exchanging women for other women.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 3:57 am

I want to say Youngtown was the smaller store in the back of Poplar Plaza. I will ask my mom. This is just the sort of thing she will remember. Sorry to bring up panties again, boys, but this was the store where all panties were bought. These boring white cotton panties with eyelet. They had a white tag with green writing in the waistband. I was thrilled when my wild Jewish best fren gave me a pair of psychedelic mushroom bikini panties for my 6th birthday. Gotta love those Jewish girls.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:26 pm

fiery, white clogs might need their own topic!!!!!!!! i loved mine too, they were my 'easter' clogs. no joke. i am still pretty obsessed with white shoes, moved on to white pumps now though. not clogs. maybe we can ask eric and zac for a hair clothes and makeup section but that might make the guys mad. not garage enough!!!
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:38 pm

I thought white shoes were de riguer for alla yous go-go dancin', hip-shakin', garage-mod hotties. TOTALLY garage enough!
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:54 pm

But, as you can see, we will easily go off topic!

I have zero white shoes anymore, but this climate does not lend itself to me really expressing myself with clothes as much as the Southern climes.

My dog ended up chewing up the cork in my white clogs. Bad dog!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®