Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Should restaurants design their menu to cater to vegetarians etc?
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:19 pm

I am currently disussing this in another forum and it is my take (and yeah, I am biased, I eat meat and vegetables) that restaurants should NOT be expected to design a menu that has lots & lots of vegetarian options. If they want to, fine, but if not, do they "suck"?

This guy says that restaurants who do not do this (esp. in Portland) "suck" as "this is not Omaha". I think this is so ridiculous given the amount of fantastic restaurants here, some of which are filled to the brim with crazy vegetarian options.

Thoughts?
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:25 pm

No.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:33 pm

I think it would be nice if there were vegetarian options but if it doesn't have any it doesn't mean it totally 'sucks'. I mean unless you are a vegetarian. Then I guess it sucks.

Omaha has "The Natural Kind Cafe".
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:36 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

That is what I am thinking--it sure would suck to be a vegetarian. Esp. if you can still find room to complain in Portland. Please. This place has entire establishments devoted to NO MEAT. I don't wanna hear that mess.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:47 pm

Unless you're the kind of vegetarian who eats seafood, there are scant options for you in New Orleans and much of the south. Not my fucking problem! Eat meat, assholes!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:50 pm

A restaurant is the vision of its chef. If the chef wants to make lots of vegetarian options... its his choice and his prerogative.

I'm sure lots of people here have read Kitchen Confidential by Tony Bourdain. I LOVE what he says about vegetarians...wish I could remember the quote... Surely someone can dig it up.

Anyway - I don't believe a restaurant sucks if it's not veggie-friendly. A restaurant sucks if the service is bad, the place is dirty, the food is not fresh or is made badly.

Dining in restaurants is elective, therefore, the chef doesn't need to bend to a diner's whim...
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:56 pm

I guess the only potentially sucky thing for meateaters is that their options are limited if they are going out to eat with vegetarian friends. I like that HUE place on Division in Chicago but they don't have many vegetarian options at all and it became a problem when I went there w/my vegan friend.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:00 pm

Dining in restaurants is elective, therefore, the chef doesn't need to bend to a diner's whim...

THANK YOU.

I am presently getting beaten up by the moderator of this goofball site. I knew I should have never gone back in there! He hate me. He is claiming that if a restaurant wants to "survive" it needs to cater to vegetarians, esp. in Portland. Methinks vegetarians here think they are far more populous than they actually are. I rarely come across them anymore. I know there are more than down South, for sure, but it isn't like they match the # of seafood and meat eaters here by far.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:04 pm

As long as there is 1 or 2 vegetarian items on the menu, vegetarians have nothing to complain about. I was a vegetarian for 13 years (6 of those years vegan!) in Iowa, of all places. That was not easy at all, but I brought it on myself, so how could I complain? If you're gonna make yourself a weirdo, it's only natural that you'll have to work a little harder to get what you want in the real world.

Even in Iowa, I was able to figure out a way to go out to eat regularly. It just took some finagling and sometimes being a little bit of a pest when I ordered. If a place didn't have something for me to eat, I wouldn't go there. It was that easy. Just like now, if a place doesn't have food in large portions at reasonable prices, I don't go there.

Thank God, I gave up that meatless lifestyle, though. It makes me sad to think of all the Iowa porkchops I missed out on. If you live in Iowa and you don't eat meat-stuffs, you may as well kill yourself, 'cuz that's about the #1 most attractive thing about living there.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:06 pm

I REALLY don't understand why this is such an issue with people. Eat where you want to eat. If you're a vegetarian, most places will accommodate you if you ask nicely. It's stupid to say a restaurant will/will not survive based on this one thing. How many French restaurants have vegetarian options, really? That wouldn't be very authentic. I would, however, like to note that being a vegetarian does not necessarily make you an asshole or difficult or whatever. Jesus. I don't understand why people argue about it so much.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:18 pm

I would, however, like to note that being a vegetarian does not necessarily make you an asshole or difficult or whatever.

that's cuz you aren't militant or sanctimonious about it. you made a choice, and you understand the ramifications of it (ie: dining can be problematic) - i hate it when militant veggies go on about their laundry list... you can always eat somewhere else and surely some place will accommodate you!

some vegetarians dine at a steak house and expect seitan... you know? although, i have to say, i've had the very BEST grilled veg platter at ben benson's steak house in NYC. its a side dish, to go w/ the steak, but man - its awesome!

frankly, i don't care what people eat or don't eat.... more vegetarians means more pork for me
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:19 pm

What's wrong with catering to vegetarians? I mean, does that mean they have to not offer as much meat dishes just because they have more than spaghetti marinara that doesn't have meat in it? That's like saying that chinese places shouldn't have hamburgers and hot dogs because it's catering to kids! People with kids shouldn't eat chinese!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:26 pm

What's wrong with catering to vegetarians?

nothing.

the ISSUE we're dealing with is SHOULD restaurant cater to vegetarians and my position is that it is the chef's prerogative and that dining is elective
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:30 pm

People with kids shouldn't eat out!!!

Hahahhaha!

Just kidding (?)
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:35 pm

OK, lemme get back to the kids, I mean, vegetarians.

I was also a vegetarian for eons...in the Bay Area. It still SUCKED at times, but hey, I chose the lifestyle. Then I chose to eat meat again. OK, life opens back up in the world of dining! The thing is there are a number of restaurants here that cater strictly to vegetarians, even VEGANS, and still vegetarians complain. Memphis vegetarians, complain away. Portland? Really now.

You could tell in this review that the guy went out to a meat place--just from a few things he said I am venturing that it is even a "Southern" focused menu. You can't be serious that you would take a vegetarian friend to a place that touts itself as Southern and then complain all over the place about it only having one veggie themed entree.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:45 pm

People with kids shouldn't eat out!!!

Now THIS is a bandwagon I can jump on...

some vegetarians dine at a steak house and expect seitan... you know?

Yeah, I've definitely been there... I'm perfectly happy with a twice-baked potato and the veggie sides, if it means a good meal with good friends... I think it's great when restaurants make it easy, and in some areas it definitely IS good business sense. But I don't expect to go to NOLA and find a lot of great tofu dishes. And I don't expect to go to a steakhouse ANYWHERE and find a lot of (if any) choices. That's just silly. I guess I just don't understand the argument. If I'm going to a seafood restaurant, I've got a pretty good idea of the selection and I'm not going to expect anything but SEAFOOD. If they have something, happy fucking surprise for me. Basically, hurrah for vegetarians, hurrah for freedom of fucking choice (for customers AND chefs).

No, you know what, basically I'm saying "FIERY WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ARGUING WITH THIS GUY??"
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:56 pm

taking into account your friend's attitude about portland not being omaha which makes him the fucking dali lama, i say not just 'no' but FUCK NO.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 8:07 pm

i went on adkins diet for awhile i realized most places had nothing i could eat other than a burger with no bun and water.

I think Atkins, South Beach, and all the other low-carb diets out there didn't help vegetarians any. If anything, restaurants added MORE meat options. If you're a vegetarian and you eat out regularly, carbs are pretty much your only friend.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 8:13 pm

It always cracks me up when there's the "protein lovers" option for those who are "counting carbs" and it's steak and chicken all covered in cheese and bacon...
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 8:15 pm

"He hate me."

i love it. laughed out loud.

Brad & Theresa just about covered it. Eating with vegetarians IS a hassle for meat-eaters, though. More vegan/vegetarian-oriented restaurants should serve delicious meat dishes so we don't have to suffer!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 8:25 pm

Brad, how'd you feel on that diet? The only people I know who tried it were just fatties that couldn't even stick to that. But I just have to imagine you gotta feel like crap eating all that shit?

And no, any diet that deprives you of beer is not worth your time...
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 8:31 pm

I have to imagine digestion becomes a serious problem at some point before your kidneys fail from protein overload.

But it sounds great in theory...

ROUGHAGE, people! Eliminate waste! WOO HOO!!

ooops... little off track from the topic.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:00 pm

I did adkins too, lost a lot of weight. Kept it off for more than two years, said fuck it last year and have gained it all back. I liked eating like that though. And eating out was incredibly easy. I did it kind of modified, though...more like the "no white flour, no white sugar" diet. Ate a TON of spinach.
My, uh, elimination was kind of strange, though.

Fiery, that guy you're arguing with is just one of those combative vegetarians. I've never understood why vegetarians can be such assholes about it when not eating meat is supposed to make you more peaceful, or something. They can just be so entitled and annoying.
Not to sound prejudiced or anything. Really, some of my best friends are vegetarians.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:25 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

No, you know what, basically I'm saying "FIERY WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ARGUING WITH THIS GUY??"

Oh, cos he is a total asshole and it is fun. Joe Dixon and I have been known to stir things up with the foodies over there...

He hate me.

I knew someone would catch it.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:32 pm

XFL was good for one thing, i think.

and the sight of a cameraman running around in the backfield, too. genius.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:34 pm

I got yr back over there, fiery. That guy's such an asshole. I think people in Portland, especially those that have lived in bigger cities, tend to give their palates too much credit.

Everyone who knows ANYTHING about food in this town thinks that they've got a handle of the complexities of every single cuisine that exists. So fucking obnoxious.

And, yeah, fuck your "diet restrictions". I'm all for people eating how they want, but the expectation that they'll be treated differently (extra-specially) for their self-imposed limitations is a ridiculous notion. Go to Veganopolis or the Paradox or the Farm or Vita or ANY OF THE OTHER TEN MILLION veggie-friendly places in this city!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:34 pm

Alisa, the guy I am arguing with will argue with me over ANYTHING. They are like this gay ass foodie blog and as my girl Heidi Klum of Project Runway says, "Either you in o' you out." I'm out. Way out.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:39 pm

Joe, your comment was priceless. I was going to go in there & comment again but I don't wanna get us banned...yet.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:40 pm

Where is it? I need a laugh...
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:43 pm

Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:51 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Veganopolis

That's actually the name of a restaurant? That blows so bad. I'm gonna open Carni-topia.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:52 pm

We should get ourselves banned. It might be kinda hard though, after we called him out on his absolute and obvious tendency to be full of shit when it comes to criticism from posters... ever since then, I've noticed him being pretty diplomatic about letting people post what they want.

Someone on there wanted to take up a collection to get me a subscribtion to the Mercury- after I negatively compared that paper and his blog- so that I could "blow off my hot air on the toilet, where it belongs", which I thought was pretty great.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:53 pm

It blows bad indeed. And it's a CAFETERIA! HAHAHAHAHA!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:55 pm

He has so many protectors! When he first started the site, he could take a joke. I mean, he wasn't funny, but he didn't chafe at a contrary opinion. Now, if you don't just totally blow smoke up his ass, you're getting lambasted by him and his crew of self-important food critic cronies.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 9:57 pm

Veganopolis is so bad! I went there after all the write ups on how delicious it was...wow. So very bland. Even I know how to make better vegan slop than that.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:01 pm

Thanks, Joe. I will check it out.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:04 pm

[i]Veganopolis

That's absolutely horrifying.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:05 pm

Lord, I haven't even gotten to the comments yet. Bad service is annoying, but this guy is PRIS-SY already!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:06 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Cort. Seriously. I cannot wait to hear your beloved cackle every other five seconds once you see this place. Whoa.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:14 pm

"Any business should be able to pick and choose everything they offer. Unfortunately, a lot of failed empires have been built on such ideals. There are far too many vegetarians in Portland to alienate that portion of the population."

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Failed empires...yeah, Food Dude, I can think of a lot of failed empires because of alienated Portland vegetarians!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:18 pm

Totally. I mean, empires are crumbling left and right up in this bitch. Portland is EXACTLY like feudal Japan!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:19 pm

"Any business should be able to pick and choose everything they offer. Unfortunately, a lot of failed empires have been built on such ideals. There are far too many vegetarians in Portland to alienate that portion of the population."

The third sentence really can't live with the first now, can it?
The middle sentence is supposed to be the thing that swings our vote?

Maybe this guy should talk to Nero....
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:21 pm

Oh man, it's a Goner invasion of the uppity Portland food blogs! I'm in heaven!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:24 pm

Thank you for your non-Portland insights to a very real mindset we deal with living here!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:41 pm

Personally I can't even comprehend why vegetarians want to dine out in the first place... By being vegetarian you've already sucked all the pleasure out of eating anyway, why not just stay home and cook some ramen or something? I could understand going out for middle eastern food or crazy tofu/vegan stuff, but what kind of vegetarian dish at a normal restaurant would really be worth dining out for?
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:44 pm

Occasionally there can be good vegetarian pastas, and usually salads are a no-brainer... but yeah, a littly silly. And if Fiery's prediction about this place being a southern joint turns out o be true, well...
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:48 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Knew it!

Is it Bernie's????

EDIT:
Oh wait, you said "if"....
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:51 pm

I don't know, but I think you're on the right track.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 10:56 pm

Man, it's been pretty quiet over there for awhile.

Maybe they all drank some of Food Dude's Kool-Aid.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 1:12 am

It also took Vince McMahon down quite a notch, too, since he lost millions on the deal. One less loudmouth, bad programmer running his mouth. So, that's 2 good things about XFL.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 6:30 pm

Fuck vegetarians and omnivores and carnivores.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 7:23 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I am officially about to burn the book of one of the bitches in the food blog who must have a crush on the moderator and continues to try to pick more fights with me (I guess fair is fair).

Her name is Nancy Rommelman (sp?) and she moved her last year from LA to open yet another coffee roastery with her husband (yeah, we really need another of those). She quickly inserted herself as a Food Critic and I think got her ass fired from Willamette Week. She is a total blowhard who brags how she has been published in Gourmet, LA Weekly etc.

Her book is some useless stocking stuffer called Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Food (but were afraid to ask). My dad got it for me. Meet some matches.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 7:29 pm

Do it! Do it!
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 7:34 pm

I should go do it in front of her husband's roastery. But then she would likely get me arrested for some sort of hate crime.

She defends that "Food Dude" (retch) with a pretty embarrassing passion.

I should go get an americano at their place and pull out a stopwatch on the barista. Even if cup is perfect, I'll send it back.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 7:48 pm

Posted: Feb 4, 2006 8:10 pm

I love self-important hacks who move here from L.A.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 8:20 pm

So- I just posted a comment in you defense:

"I think, tha-krza, that when you said,

“Nowhere, and I mean nowhere, in my posts did I say the waits and the terrible service were the restaurant’s perogative. That experience, AGAIN in case it has been overlooked, was really obvious bad bad bad service.”

you weren’t clear enough. I mean, I’ve had to quote you TWICE! Which means the above statement- posted originally by you, tha-krza- has now appeared THREE times within this thread. But it’s totally not clear what you mean.

Man, sometimes I feel like maybe these Big City Transplants have got some left-over smog trapped in their brains."

And when I hit 'submit' I noticed that at the top of my comment it says "Your comment is awaiting moderation"! WTF?! It's never done that before! He's on to us!
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 8:56 pm

You are on your way to being banned. I am right behind you.

She wrote the book about "The Real World": "The REAL real World". Hack. Hack. HACK.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:03 pm

Oh and he did that to me once and I don't think it was ever published. I read some of her comments on Portland and though I often mock this place, an LA-ite has nooooooooo right. She hasn't even lived here a year. It is mostly people like her and her dillitante husband who have jacked the housing market up her so ridiculously high that we could never afford to buy a home, much less start a vanity coffee roastery.

Remember Joe, these people hit you where it hurt on that thread--talkin' about YOUR DAD! For shame.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:37 pm

He published it! Phew, only a few more pointed posts and I'm on my way!
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:56 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I just posted (waiting for mod, apparently) a DOOZIE.

Go check it out. I read some of her blog (awful. awful...she name drops all of her LA connects) and there is one dedicated to Food Dude as the only "local Foodie whose opinion and writing she respects." Holy shit.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:12 pm

Oh man, her is blog BAD!

"hey everybody, just so you know, I just might stay in Portland forever, and that might just be ok. Again, just so you know. I'm Nancy Rommelmann."

Holy shit indeed.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:18 pm

Ha! Totally. It should read:

"Hi, I'm Nancy Rommelmann and I married the first and only guy who ever asked me. He hated LA and wanted to move to Portland so we could buy a house and he could start probably the most unneccessary business in Portland ever, a coffee roastery. I sort of fancy myself an LA version of 'Carrie Bradshaw', if you will, but am more than willing to put up with dirty hippie Portland because people are so kind here compared to LA. And because I'd have to get a divorce to leave."
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:35 pm

He hasn't published your comment yet... Maybe you ARE banned!
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:39 pm

Good!

I'll copy it for you.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:43 pm

Banned for basically disagreeing with the Foodie Cadre. They suck. They need to get got.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:54 pm

What's so strange is their sense of importance. Food Dude's only been publishing for a year, little ol' Nan JUST moved here to open a vanity business...

Yet they rep like they've been "on the scene" for decades. Now, I'm only 25, but I've been working in Portland restaurants since I was 17- that's 8 years... not a lifetime, but I ain't no rookie.

They refuse to acknowledge anyone but their stuffy, insular, catty group of what seem to be terribly-unhappy-with-their-station-in-life yuppies and silver-spoon-fed (pun NOT intended) wealthy, layabout know-it-alls.

Where does it say that because you're from LA or SF or NY that you've automatically got a leg up on everyone else. So strange, that life-with-blinders-on must be.

Excuse all the hyphenation.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 11:02 pm

Where does it say that because you're from LA or SF or NY that you've automatically got a leg up on everyone else. So strange, that life-with-blinders-on must be.

If there were some official card for Memphis citizenry, I would extend an honarary one to you right now. That statement qualifies for a "Joe be welcome down hura".
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 11:11 pm

Huzzah Joe!

I always wanted to type "Huzzah" so there you go.

Yeah, I called Nancy the "Judge Wapner of the Foodie's Court" and the site the "Heathers of the Food Scene". I will doubt it is published because it does simply say how snotty and exclusive and averse to anything but complete and utter aggreance they are.

Now I know I am not from Portland, but the LA-ification of this place (or 'Californication'!) has really wrecked a lot of what this place was good for. Particularly the above mentioned ability to buy a home. It was all about ex-SF and LA people (and yeah, NYC people too) moving here and paying exhorbitant housing prices that were cheap to them.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 11:15 pm

We can only hope that Food Dude takes the Christian Slater thing seriously and starts killing all of 'em.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 11:16 pm

hura=here, Joe. Remember that when you finally make it down. Pronounced exactly as it reads.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 11:22 pm

I should be making it down this summer/early fall. Thanks fer the tip... and I'll be looking out for that honorary citizen card (and some BBQ).
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:00 am

Everyone! Quick! Head over to Portland Food and Drink! He's published an expose about the filthy language on the Goner board!

Actually, it's just about the bad language Fiery and I use to express our frustration with the self-appointed Portland food elite! It's HILARIOUS!!!

Internet wars are the future, let me tell ya! Why wasn't this in GW's State of the Union speech?

www.portlandfoodanddrink.com
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:13 am

AHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Great job, y'all! He even filed it under "Political Stuff"!

What happens on the Internet, stays on the Internet!

Man, I hope they check out the "Bigfoot Lodge" thread in the Memphis section!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:18 am

Food Dude is everywhere.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:35 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

This is great!!!!!!! Please someone comment. PLEASE.

I did. I love how he says how crude we are is indicative of how staying in college is an imperative...oh man, he should be way embarrassed.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:41 am

And I just noticed how he even gives credit to some of the more intelligent posters and discussions on the Goner board. What a guy.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:43 am

I'm guessing it's my posts that led to the "and a good argument for staying in college and getting an education" comment.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:44 am

I know, aren't we a "pretty darn intelleigent" group of crazy kids?

Eric- it should be your new motto:

Goner Records- Pretty Darn Intelligent.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:45 am

Quote of the Day.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:47 am

what? intelligent? we're ruined.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 12:48 am

Where does it say that because you're from LA or SF or NY that you've automatically got a leg up on everyone else.

Try living down here for awhile and see what it's like when EVERYBODY seems to be that way. The East Bay isn't too bad, but in SF, it's douchebag central. And people from out of the area wonder why I go into "the city" so infrequently.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 1:17 am

I just emailed whomever Food Dude is. I asked him not to publish it and hope he honors that; I just had to let him know some commentary from my serious side. You know, that sensitive, pretty gosh darn intelligent side?

It was Womb Raider and Theresa--thank you two! Honorary Goner Intelligencia (Now how is that spelled again? That college education is letting me down!) degrees comin' up!

Now, where can we go eat? We are going to see Cache and need to be Downtown by 7?
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 1:21 am

They didn't add a single bit of the XFL controversy.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 1:28 am

I think I'm gonna write a song called "The Stuck in Moderation Blues".
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 1:31 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Dude, unless the XFL players had helmets shaped like olives and shoes made from recycled prociutto, these people would have no awareness of their existence.

Not that that many other people did either.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 1:36 am

File under "stoner rock band names" thread: "Prosciutto Helmet"
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 2:17 am

I love the internet.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 2:19 am

Man, there's not a cussword in my "feedback". My e-mail address, yes, but...
To be fair, I don't live in Portland, either.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 2:31 am

Duh! It's 'cause your comment sounds like a highschooler wrote it.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 2:34 am

It's true. But sincere.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 3:43 am

Jack! You made it!

Now watch as the comments condemning Fierydrunk and me roll in!

"There’s enough insecurity in those quoted posts to power a small city of therapists for a good decade or so."

YES!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 4:19 am

I thought that Brokeback (Soda) Fountain was pretty good.

Well on the way in the path of becoming a "nemesis".

Congrats, y'all.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 4:30 am

Actually, this just occured to me. I never realized how much food snobs and record nerds had in common...
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 5:46 am

LA & NY and other "first city/media city" people get sick of people from all over the place coming here to "make it" - that's why we leave and go to the other coast, or go somewhere else where we think we can live normally without gate-crashers and carpet baggers... but the gate crashers and carpet baggers always annoy us, regardless of where we go....
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 5:42 pm

Actually, this just occured to me. I never realized how much food snobs and record nerds had in common...

Krab is to food snobs as Epitaph records is to record nerds.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:06 pm

Perfect analogy, martel!

The entire thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, no pun intended, but it does. It creeps me out not just a little that he did that...now, who needs therapy? That is just so thin-skinned. He has a blog where he posts minute details about restaurants. Then there is an immediate comments section. He expects comments, no? This is not a BLOG. It is a message board where more than a few of us know one another and one of its charms is its foul lang and sarcastic nature.

Anyway, then the guy impugns Joe's dad (a local food critic etc), again. It also creeps me out that he does this much research and got that riled up for some pretty light commentary. Really what the hell did we do to him? It isn't the first time he has decided to "get" people, but the last people are a couple who happen to own some of the best restaurants in town.

I think I hate the internet!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:13 pm

OK, now that I went back and read the comments, I think I love the internet again.

And, like totally, that "Dave J" guy is not even worthy of the Gay Ass Foodie title. He is a Fucking Dork. I love our "conversation" he came up with. "Kewl"? The only people who actually use that are the people from Perverted Justice trying to bait guys to pick up on faux 12 year olds...uh oh.

Anyway, I am done with this...unless Jack posts more funniness.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:28 pm

Good times, good times.

I know, my favorite part of the whole thing is the "I think they're successfully destroy Jim Dixon's reputation all by themselves."

Talk about priceless!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 6:51 pm

I'll leave it alone from this point out. After the first "Approval" from moderation, they would let me post instantly. Now I'm back on Moderation again. If they refuse me, I wouldn't blame them. Nothing racy, really:

"Is there a dentist in the house? No one knows about the chewing thing? I need to know, people. We’re having a pizza party at Mom’s again soon. We’ve got a GREAT campaign coming up: “The Wizard Dragons of Prosciutto” (I designed the realm myself), and I get to be Dungeon Master this time. Jeb is bringing his 9th level Palladin, Kromorth the Strong and I think Carl is bringing his new guy; 2nd level chaotic-good cleric. Let me tell you, Crom will have NO mercy on that little elf-whelp. I’ve got a great treasure surprise for them, too. I put some “Boots of Swiftness” in there that increses dexterity by 5 points; joke’s on them, though, because when you try to run, your character is going so fast, that it cuts their vision by a 1-4 dice roll. HAHAHAHA! Gonna put on some Jethro Tull “Songs From the Wood”, very Magikal. I’m so excited! Y’all please let me know about the chewing thing, though. Pizza is awesome, but not if it’s gonna make me sick. Yikes! "
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 7:03 pm

Oh my god. If I used emoticons, well, mine would be the laughing one.

How's the "Stuck in Moderation Blues" coming?
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 7:19 pm

Man, nothing makes me crazier on the internet than people who put themselves out with all their views and then gets all bitchy when people might have a different point of view. I was reading a blog I liked and whenever anyone disagreed w/ the guy he'd call them a 'troll'. Fuck that, get a life people.

About vegetarians - 2% of American society, yep, it's true. Maybe in Portland it's more, but in the rest of the country there are probably more people eating kosher than vegetarian. To ask a place of business to cater to 2%, well, is not very good business is it? Maybe in Portland it's more, but probably not by much.

But that whole "eat meat, assholes" line of thought kind of creeps me out. I could give a fuck if anyone eats meats, fish or pussy or doesn't eat meat, fish or... well, let's just stick with those two as the last choice is a drag.

It's a free country goddamit. Eat whatever the fuck you want, assholes! But remember, if ya choose to be in the 2% then don't ask some restaraunt owner who is probably up to his eyeballs in debt to cater to you.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 7:28 pm

I think I got straight-up "deleted". I'm not even in Moderation, it's just not there.

The irony that you guys have a user named "bigfoot" is not lost on me, though.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 7:33 pm

"eat meat, assholes" was an kneejerk reaction. vegetarians aren't assholes. the assholes are those who expect other people to bend over backwards to cater to their diet choices. or people who get bent out of shape when they realize that red beans and rice is not a vegetarian dish. it's an incredibly self righteous and closed-minded attitude, and people who act this way are usually oblivious to how obnoxious they are.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 7:38 pm

also, if you think that food blog is heavily moderated, you should get a load of the fucking nazis that run those "Chowhound" message boards. After hurricane katrina they were deleting all messages on the new orleans board that weren't specifically related to food-- i.e. the location of chefs and restaurant owners who were taking refuge in other cities, you know, messages that might set people at ease or provide very useful information were deleted and replaced with nasty "FOOD DISCUSSIONS ONLY" notices. self important jerkoffs.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 8:07 pm

they were deleting all messages on the new orleans board that weren't specifically related to food-- i.e. the location of chefs and restaurant owners who were taking refuge in other cities,

i wish those chefs would post on chow hound "thanks for trying to sabotage my career"
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 8:09 pm

What beer goes best with looting?
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 8:13 pm

The internet is creating some silliness. The food scene is already ripe for the picking. Where am I getting all of these food analogies?

This guy is creepy. He obviously feels threatened which is insane. He and his cronies have bad-mouthed Joe's dad time and time again and also made crude jokes about Joe's dad whenever Joe would defend a restaurant couple that happens to be a target of this blogger, due to the fact that they are extraordinarily successful, good-looking and have excellent restaurants, basically. Yeah, they are very pretentious, but the attacks this guy was putting out there made Joe and I's little Goner shit look like Sesame Street.

What is bizarre is that eventually he won't be able to hide behind his "Food Dude" moniker and he'll still be eating out...at the restaurants that employ some individuals and their friends who frequent this board. Not a good move in my opinion; I don't flip attitude at restaurants or their staff. I've watched the Fox specials!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 8:15 pm

And, by the way, that isn't a threat, veiled or otherwise, in case we are being monitored by the little freak.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 10:34 pm

Incredibly, I think DDunlap even had season tickets and tried to get folks to go to a game or two. I think he may have been the only season ticket holder though. He may have even had his face painted. A big fan, for sure!
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 11:11 pm

This I do not doubt for a second!
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 12:35 am

yes. i think that they should. simply because of my having to go to eat with my family and they all want to eat someplace filled to the brim with meat. and i used to be a vegetarian. so it would make it difficult having to eat something stupid like just a side salad or whatever. it sucked butt. i mean don't have fifty thousand options or whatever. just maybe something simple with no meat. now what would be going too far is to ask them to be vegan.*shrugs*
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 12:59 am

you would - or maybe you wouldn't --- be surprised at this

one band i toured w/ for about 10 years were all vegetarians.
the rider specified that they were to have vegetarian meals and actually said no meat/flesh/fish, no cheese, no eggs

you know what they almost always got?

chicken
salmon
tuna salad
pizza (with cheese only)
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 4:24 pm

not pasta?

they were not playing squats.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 9:43 pm

sometimes squats have really good food...i remember a thanksgiving show here that had some wicked good curry...i tried to make a vegan pecan pie for it, but egg replacer doesn't set up very well
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:10 pm

how is it that some veg. eat fish..i'm always baffled
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:45 pm

That is a Southern vegetarian for you. At least that is what I tried to pull, "Uh, yeah, I'm vegetarian but I still eat seafood of course!"
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:53 pm

People ask me that all the time (about the seafood).......But, then, our secretary always tries to bring me chicken noodle soup and chicken salad, as if chickens are yanked from the ground like a fucking potato.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®