Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / $4.99 Ethiopian Food PDX
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 4:35 pm

OK, I heard there is a great new Ethiopian place on N. Williams and Skidmore in those nondescript, windowless bldgs that run the block called Dalo's or something that has 4 vegetarian dishes and injera for $4.99!!!!

$4.99! Supposedly it is enough to feed two people. Get there before they learn enough to change their pricing.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 5:12 pm

Let me know if this is any good, as I live about 5 blocks from there. I'm kinda on a budget, so I haven't been eating out as much...

Anyone got a job?
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 5:18 pm

They have food in Ethiopia?

I never get tired of that joke!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 5:34 pm

Will do. I am thinking of going by there today after work.

Joe--I just left some snark for that idiot over at Portland Food & Drink. He did this Swiss time breakdown of this terrible service he had at an "unnamed" (naturally) restaurant in town. The funniest thing about about it is that he had a vegetarian friend with him and it was fairly obvious this was a MEAT place. The veggie friend got in a total snit and made the old, "well...I'll just eat at home then" comment after a few fuck ups from the establishment (i.e. fish-based sauce etc). I hate that shit. Eat at home, then!
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:13 pm

Is the food at that place made to order (or at least fresh), or is it a steamtray place like a lot of Chinese places? If it's somewhat fresh, that's a steal!

However, I ate at an Ethiopian buffet they used to have on the edge of SF's Tenderloin. They used steam trays/heat lamps. It was about $7 and it sucked bad. The injera turned into the consistency of a singed orange peel under the heat lamps and the entrees were all congealed. I think the enormous amounts of butter in there doesn't work well under a heat lamp or in a steam tray environment. That place was so bad I only went back three more times before they closed.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:38 pm

I will report back. I may go today, maybe tomorrow. I have heard good things from people who like Queen of Sheba, to me, one of the two best Ethiopian places here.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 7:57 pm

I hate Portland Food and Drink!

I'm on my way over there, though. I'm getting a late start on the Internet this morn'- I had an EARLY breakfast with my stepdad at Bijou, which, Fiery, wasn't half bad.
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:08 am

Don't tell Sally Struthers.
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 2:07 am

...there is no food in Etheopia!!!
how can you have a restuant in PDX???

I used to pass by that one up on MLK(Union Ave.) and see folks stuffing there face. that shit looks like weeds and stinks worse that falafel...
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 2:10 am

Food in Portland is good...concidering they don't have really any kinda food of there own...louie
just stick with mexican and chink shit...
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 10:58 pm

fiery- where did you hear 4.99? i go there often with elizabeth, and it's always been 8.99 for the two person HUGE meal! i like it. it's your standard ethiopean food.

so far the times i've gone in they've been playing
1. fela kuti (multiple times)
2. john coltrane
3. jimi hendrix.

i stand by the place.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:30 am

I heard their one person lunch buffet is $4.99...I also read it is the people that used to have that little place on San Rafael and MLK, Cafe San Rafael.

Have you been to that Aladdin's on 33rd just past Kennedy School? We are going tonight. It is supposed to be the best falafel and pita in town.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:45 am

Report back about that shit.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:09 pm

REPORT:

Eh. Would be excellent falafel IF it wasn't fucking COLD. It was like "I have been in the fridge since the lunch rush" cold. And they skimp on the tahini sauce. They just drizzled it over the falafel where at Nicholas and La Hala, you get a container of it!!!!

The hummus was good. A little too garlicky, but very creamy which I like.

Ryan says the lamb sharma was awesome. The pita was also really good, if a bit cold and chewy.

I will give it one more chance...the falafel is promising. It has much more flavor than Nicholas'.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:26 pm

Nicholas, bah

La Hala, Yeah!

By the by, did you hear that the old theater in Montavilla is getting fixed up by the Flying Pie guys to be a pizza/beer theater with childcare? Whatever.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:54 pm

I do love Flying Pie. That salad bar rocks--totally 80's!

La Hala is easily the best. Their pita--when fresh out of the oven--just kicks ass. The last time I went to Nicholas' was, well, likely the last time. The pita was so so so old and it always takes a zillion years. Have you been to Karam? I have heard good things.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 5:56 pm

Nope, but maybe I'll check it out for lunch today!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 6:23 pm

As they say, report back.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:58 pm

Okay, went today to Karam. I think I was confused at first because there's Al Amir across the street and Abou Karim a block down. Of the three, Abou Karim is my favorite for lunch. All three places are stingy when it comes to coughing up pita bread. At Karam, I just had a lamb Schwarma, which was good (though, had the requisite knuckle-cartlidge bits). The humus was interesting in that it was rather tangy as if a tad bit more lemon juice was present. I usually get a veggie mezza at these places because I like the social aspect of sharing, so, I can't really report on that. Service was fine, but not like Ya Hala. Haven't a clue how dinner menu differs. I suppose it's okay but is a bit spendy. They did have "sandwiches" in the $6 range. My schwarma was $8.95, which is a bit much for me for lunch. I think you can get a veggie mezza at Abou Karim for $5.95. I guess the place really didn't stand out to me, good nor bad. Mileage may vary.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:41 pm

I want to try the falafel. I want to go back to Aladdins maybe tomorrow at lunch to see if it is better at a busy time where they are not able to leave falafel to get cold. But then again, since you mentioned Flying Pie...I am craving that!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:22 am

just had the beer battered deep fried garden burger at sagittarius.
just what you would expect.
good n greazy.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:50 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Oh yeah! I always forget about Sagittarius! Of course, you don't, Triple Sag, Joe!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:53 am

I ain't been there yet- and I'm a Sagitarius!

Isn't it owned by that chick who was in that band the No-No's with Ralf Youtz?
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:01 am

I dunno--I know it is a husband and wife team who live in N. PDX and were frustrated about the lack of basic eating and drinking joints in their hood, so voila.

I want to try their fish and chips. A couple of our friends might still work there...maybe tomorrow evening? Joe(s), if you wanna show up, I'll email you if we go.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:06 am

Hmmm. No late-90's-Portland-indie-rock experts on the board?
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:08 am

Joe Danger might be able to know, he was certainly around until early 98. But hated indie rock...as I understand, it was a much smaller scene then, however. Everyone knew everyone.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:06 pm

i remember that band the no-nos. with heather dunn, dyke drummer extrodinaire.

could be the same girl. i thought one of the girls looked familiar, but years of drinking and smoking i don't even worry about trying to remember who people are.

fish and chips were good. comes with a very tart dipping sauce and a mango chutney.

yeah joe, i moved away in 97, but i saw all those old bands. no-nos, underpants machine, hellbender, sone, 30-06, ...fuck, i could go on for hours. not here, though. strictly food.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:35 pm

The good version of Sone, I hope.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:26 pm

i don't know, they always sounded like a velvet underground/college rock sort of thing to me.

i was really punk back then. sort of. i also played drums in the roger nusic band.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 9:07 pm

I was pretty into the "indie" back then- I was a teenager, so you know. We did like to hang out at Stage 4 and Thee O, though, so got to see a lot of the good Silver Kings-type shit. I'm just pissed I was too young to go to EJ's in it's prime.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 10:39 pm

yeah, i played the stage 4 and the o tons. did you ever see punky rockit? or ten-four?
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 11:35 pm

I think ten-four... Punk Rockit doesn't sound too familiar, though.

I went to HS with Adam Cox and the rest of the Exploding Hearts, so that was my scene... Saw the Automatics a bunch, the Silverkings, Spider Babies, etc.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 7:24 pm

Yo Fierydrunk-

Did you ever get over to Sagittarius? How was it? What's the deal?
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 9:44 pm

No, I was so sleepy last night! I crashed early. We ate dinner at Lagniappe though. Ryan got a pulled pork sandwich that had enough pork on it that he made another sandwich today!
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Mmmmmm.... pork.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 12:44 am

DOOOOOD!

I just, like, 10 minutes ago, ate at Aladdin's. It was the JAM! Based on what I've read, I think the trick is to go when ain't nobaody around. This way, you get prompt service and hot food. Everything we had was awesome... best falafel in Portland, the Kafta beef sandwich was great, baba ganouj and hummus were both delicious, and the fuckin' baklava was bangin'!

I'ma eat there a buch more.

Oh yeah- super cheap- 3 apps, 3lunches (which we took home half os and will eat for dinner), desert, Turkish coffee= $27+tip.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:06 am

Yeah, I think that is KEY. That hummus is my fave.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®