Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Karam falafel sandwiches--NOT BAD AT ALL!
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 6:56 pm

Up here (Portland and Seattle) they have these stellar Middle East restaurants called Karam. Well, Karam also sells falafel, hummus etc at small shops and fancy groceries. I bought the "Falafil" sandwich and it is great great great for one from a store.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 7:05 pm

I bought the "Falafil" sandwich and it is great great great for one from a store.

I don't know. How can a cold falafel sandwich be good, no matter how tasty it was to begin with? Do you heat it up in the microwave or something?

Ever eat at the King of Falafel on Divisadero (@ Bush) in SF? That place's name tells the truth. According to a sign in the restaurant, their falafel is the 4-time winner of the Billy Award. The Billy Award, man!
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 7:11 pm

Yes, I too was surprised when I realized this AM that I could not heat it up due to tomatoes and parsley and hummus being all over it. But it is pretty good tasting stuff. I would imagine fresh it would be killer. I am going to finally check out the place.

Someone here did a falafel tour and basically found one place in town she thought it was authentic and "right". I don't eat it enough to care. I am more of a hummus and pita bread girl.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 7:16 pm

Yes, I too was surprised when I realized this AM that I could not heat it up due to tomatoes and parsley and hummus being all over it.

I suppose you could take off the greenery and then put it back on after you heated up the rest, unless it all got kinda "fused together" in the fridge. But if it's actually good cold (or is it room temp?), why bother?

Someone here did a falafel tour and basically found one place in town she thought it was authentic and "right".
But did it win the Billy Award?
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 7:36 pm

It is good cold--the produce is fresh and it is actually more mixed up than your typical falafel ball sandwich. I only ended up eating half, cos, yeah, it was cold.

What is the Billy Award?
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 7:45 pm

What is the Billy Award?

Who the hell knows? For all I know, that place made the whole thing up. It sounds imressive, though.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 8:56 pm

Did you buy this sandwich at the grocery store? I haven't been to Karam, but have heard good things... I'm sick of 3 hour waits at Nicolas', so if there's a worthy alternative, I'd love to know.

Also, that Aladin Cafe by Kennedy School is supposed to some mean falafel. Anyone eaten there yet?
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 12:36 am

I am finally going to try both Karam and the Alladin.

But tonight, it is hangar steak and sauteed spinach again. Easy and FAST.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®