Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:04 pm

double cheesburger sub

to properly digest this "thing" you have to train for a marathon. i'm still laid up from eating one, and that was five years ago.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:06 pm

The only cheesburger sub I've had was way better than a regular cheeseburger. I almost can't believe I said that. I never had no problem digesting anything though.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:06 pm

Fish sub with cheese, and everything...closely followed by cheeseburger sub or 48 shrimps with spicy fries. Extra tartar sauce...
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:07 pm

did anybody else slip on the floor there?
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:08 pm

I live two blocks from Yums.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:37 pm

and what a terrible temptation that must be
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:47 pm

This has gotta be the 100th time I've read references to cheeseburger subs on this board. What the hell is it? Where can I get one? Why don't the NW have a cheeseburger sub restaurant? Damn!
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Growing up around D.C., the cheeseburger sub was a fairly commonplace item. Most sub shops had it on the menu. It's exactly what it sounds like; usually three or four burger patties on a sub roll, covered with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Like a real long cheeseburger.

When I moved away to Wisconsin, I was shocked to discover that the cheeseburger sub is actually a regional specialty and not available anywhere in the midwest. In fact, it is not available anywhere in the mid-south either, except Yums. Interestingly enough, Yums is a D.C. chain of korean owned take-out joints, specializing in fried rice, fried chicken, egg rolls, and subs; the cheeseburger sub being among the most popular. In D.C., these establisments are found exclusively in the hood.

A 2002 article in the Washington City Paper about Yums revealed that the Yums in Memphis has no connection to the ones in D.C. It turns out that some enterprising immigrant was inspired by the D.C. Yums chain, took their name and their menu, and opened one in Memphis on South 3rd Street, thus introducing the cheeseburger sub to Memphis.

Fortunately for me, New Orleans being a city of culinary geniosity, the burger po-boy is a mainstay on the menus of lunch counters throughout the city. Unfortunately, it is a rare occasion to find a place that doesn't use nasty dried out frozen burger patties, but my life is an eternal quest to find the best one.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 11:30 pm

those enterprising immigrants
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 11:38 pm

The one I had is from a place in Central PA called Dutch's. It's a little mom and pop place with "50's" decor. They've actually been around since the 50's and seem to have a pretty loyal lunch clientele. They seem to be more popular for the pizza, but I'll always get the cheeseburger sub. I think it's actually better at room temperature. The first time I ate one it was a half, leftover from xtine's lunch with her mom. They brought it back and gave it to me and I flipped! The roll had little "things on it, like these crumbs or something. Incredible. I'll never put mayo on a burger, but these definately require it. And the lettuce is shredded. Yeah...
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 12:31 am | Edited by: Pastlame

You can get cheeseburger subs in the Midwest. You can also get hot dog subs. Mr. Sub in Chicago has both. I can't attest to their quality, though.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 12:44 am

I stand corrected! Is Mr. Sub asian owned? The cheeseburger sub seems to be particularly prevalent in asian owned takeout places.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 1:42 am

What the hell is it?

Thanks for asking....never heard of it either...and thanks for the always useful info, Martel.

Most folks, don't know what a torta is either.....
Which is a mexican sandwich, served on a white sub bun....
My favorite is a milanesa.....delish!
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 7:10 am

tortas....mmmm

maybe somebody shoud slip a torta into the suggestion box at YUMs
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 1:15 pm | Edited by: Alisa

There are now a whole lot of Yums in Memphis, I can think of four right off the top of my head. And, yep, they are mostly in the hood. It's hell living a couple of blocks from one. Good thing I'm poor, or I'd weigh 400 pounds. I would eat there every day.
Always order the 12 incher...you can eat off of it for several meals.
Don't order the steak and shrimp sub...ugh.
Also, they only take cash, no debit or credit cards.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 1:27 pm

has anybody had the hotdog-cheeseburger at the Quik Mart on Central & East Parkway - i've seen one, but had to just say no.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Always order the 12 incher...you can eat off of it for several meals.

ha, that just reminded me of the simpsons where Homer has the giant party sub and eats it for weeks until it nearly kills him.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 3:35 pm

yeah it turns all green

yum scome that way though
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 3:42 pm

ha, that just reminded me of the simpsons where Homer has the giant party sub and eats it for weeks until it nearly kills him.

Homer, to sandwich: "I could never be mad at you!"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®