Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Ebay teflon alert!!
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Just heard that all Teflon production is to be ceased by 2010. Y'all start stockpiling those skillets NOW!
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 10:21 pm | Edited by: dirk diggler

no good.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 10:31 pm

I feel all righteous and stuff cuz I've always had the sense to never use it...
You wouldn't believe how many "companions" will give you shit because you insist on an iron skillet...
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:16 pm

What--where did you hear this? I wonder why they aren't ceasing it sooner?

Speaking of weird cooking supplies, have you seen those silicone bundt pans???
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:30 pm

I heard it on the local news at 4. There's going to be some kind of gradual ceasing of it. Also, they fined DuPont like 16 million dollars or something. (Though, that seems a rather low figure, doesn't it?)
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:46 pm

also avoid stainmaster or stainguard or whatever it's called and gore-tex.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:47 pm

and dry cleaning.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:48 pm

What do I do with all my cashmere?
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:50 pm

Speaking of weird cooking supplies, have you seen those silicone bundt pans???

At Costco, I saw a whole set of bakeware made out of that stuff- cookie sheet, loaf pan, bundt pan, etc. It looked like it'd melt instantly if you put it into an oven.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:54 pm

Just heard that all Teflon production is to be ceased by 2010.

Is all non-stick cookware bad for you, or is it specifically Teflon that's bad? If it's all of it, what's it supposed to do to you if you use it? Is it supposed to give you (said in a whisper) cancer? I like my cast iron skillet for some things, but it's a little heavy for everyday use. I'd like to be able to use a pan that didn't give me a hernia.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:54 pm

That stuff is certain to go the way of Teflon and saccharin.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 12:05 am

Yep, the big C.
What does non-stick have on it if it's not Teflon?

I have Revere Ware, and iron skillets. Spray those Revere Ware skillets with cooking spray, or use a little grease. They're just as good...
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 12:16 am

What does non-stick have on it if it's not Teflon?

They have all sorts of other name-brand nonstick stuff. It may be the exact same stuff as Teflon with another name, but I'm not sure.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 12:23 am

We bought All-Clad stainless steel cookware with wedding $$$ and that stuff is WORTH IT. Everything will come off if you soak it or use a non-metal scrubber on it.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 4:15 am

Those silicone baking things are pretty cool, actually. My little brother, who I live with, is big into baking, and my grandma got him a buncha different "pans". I thought they'd melt too, but they don't, and they making getting the banana bread and muffins outta the pan really easy. You can just sorta pop 'em out.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 9:48 am

if you have pet birds, cooking food in teflon pans emits something in the air that kills the bird.
think about it - you eat food off that? it'll kill you too

i too am suprised that teflon is ceasing sooner and why the fuck is dupont still in business? oh... right... they're the ONLY business in delaware
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 9:15 pm

it gives polar bears the sickness
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 9:27 pm

if you have pet birds, cooking food in teflon pans emits something in the air that kills the bird.

Not sure about this logic. Birds eat berries that would kill us. Not disagreeing, just contemplating...
Somebody call Mr. Wizard.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 10:55 pm

Or Mr. Merlin. Oops, back to the 80's thread.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 1:12 am

Not sure about this logic. Birds eat berries that would kill us. Not disagreeing, just contemplating...
Somebody call Mr. Wizard.

Teflon kills birds
Avian veterinarians have known for decades that Teflon-coated and other non-stick cookware can produce fumes that are highly toxic to birds. As early as 1986, a Chicago-area expert on “Teflon toxicosis” called the phenomenon a “leading cause of death among birds,” and estimated that hundreds of birds are killed by the fumes and particles emitted from Teflon-coated products each year [1][2]. Although an accurate national accounting of deaths is not available, in a single year this Chicago veterinarian documented 296 bird deaths in 105 cases involving non-stick cookware.

Under ordinary cooking scenarios, Teflon kills birds. A review of the literature and bird owners’ accounts of personal experience with Teflon toxicosis shows that Teflon can be lethal at normal cooking temperatures, with no human lapses in judgment or wakefulness.

Bird deaths have been documented during or immediately after the following normal cooking scenarios:

New Teflon-lined Amana oven was used to bake biscuits at 325°F; all the owner’s baby parrots died [3] [4].
Four stovetop burners, underlined with Teflon-coated drip pans, were preheated in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner; 14 birds died within 15 minutes [2] [5].
Nonstick cookie sheet was placed under oven broiler to catch the drippings; 107 chicks died [2].
Self-cleaning feature on the oven was used; a $2,000 bird died [5].
Set of Teflon pans, including egg poaching pan, were attributed to seven bird deaths over seven years [6].
Water burned off a hot pan; more than 55 birds died [7].
Electric skillet at 300°F and space heater were used simultaneously; pet bird died [8].
Toaster oven with a non-stick coating was used to prepare food at a normal temperature; bird survived but suffered respiratory distress [9].
Water being heated for hot cocoa boiled off completely; pet bird died [10].
Grill plate on gas stove used to prepare food at normal temperatures; two birds died on two separate occasions [11].
DuPont claims that its coating remains intact indefinitely at 500°F [12]. Experiences of consumers whose birds have died from fumes generated at lower temperatures show that this is not the case. In one case researchers at the University of Missouri documented the death of about 1,000 broiler chicks exposed to offgas products from coated heat lamps at 396°F [13].

DuPont also claims that human illness will be produced only in cases involved gross overheating, or burning the food to an inedible state [12]. Yet DuPont's own scientists have concluded that polymer fume fever in humans is possible at 662°F, a temperature easily exceeded when a pan is preheated on a burner or placed beneath a broiler, or in a self-cleaning oven [14].
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 1:22 am

Teflon fries more than just chickens!
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 1:25 am | Edited by: The Driver

yeah! baby chickens - all I really need is my seasoned cast iron skillet, BUT (and this maybe deserves it's own thread) nothing beats a good quality "name brand" non-stick (heavy) pan for perfect scrambled eggs. I'm open to alternatives and suggestions.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 12:17 pm

perfect scrambled eggs. I'm open to alternatives and suggestions.

try scrambling them in an ad-hoc double boiler

put your egg skillet over another skillet of boiling water

the skillet that your eggs are in should be sprayed w/ PAM or whatever or put butter in it.

crack some eggs into a bowl, whisk them a bit, then pour that into the greased skillet. KEEP STIRRING the eggs until they're done to the consistency you like. the stirring is what keeps them from sticking and you won't burn them (which is what makes them stick)
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Thank-you Theresa. Interesting. You're right, of course - heat plus "scrambling" (or it's really just an omelet) Any thoughts re: adding a splash of milk or soda water?
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 5:27 pm

milk i've added. soda water? never tried.

for the last word on cooking eggs, i would recommned the escoffier cookbook - its a million years old, but the cooking methods are flawless most of the time. also - julia child's first one, when french women cook - or something like that. like em or not, the french know their way around a kitchen
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 6:03 pm

I have pretty much perfected the art of scrambling eggs over years and years. Other eggs, I am clueless. This is just a very easy but good plain with cream cheese version:

I use a small allclad skillet with a teeny bit of real butter. I make sure the whole bottom of the pan has at least some melted butter (melt over medium heat so your pan doesn't get too hot). As soon as it is melted, turn the heat way down. You will have beat the eggs (I do the fork beat method, ask if you don't know, whisks are unneccesary) and put a few globs of cream cheese in. For 3 eggs, about 4 1" cubes should be OK, I like to use the whipped version as it melts better.

Pour the whole mixture in and make sure the globs of cheese are even across the egg on the bottom of the pan. Remember, HEAT ON LOW. Leave it be until you start to see a hint of dryness maybe happening around the edges of the egg at the side of the pan (this is a learned moment). At this point, use a wooden flat ended spatula and scrape everything together, back & forth and constantly, making sure nothing is sticking long enough to get dry. Stir everything around making sure the cheese is melting so it is one with those eggs. This part will be fast in an allclad.

It is done when it is like a pudding--scrambled eggs are not supposed to be dry, but these are even more moist b/c of the cream cheese. I also do versions of these with lox or spinach etc etc. They are great.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 6:36 pm

actually, with eggs, you can pretty much turn the heat practically OFF because they cook so quickly

when you add other ingredients, their presence will reduce the heat in the pan, so you'll have to keep the flame - but yeah - LOW
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®