Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Chinanese New Year this Sunday !
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 7:20 am

There won't be any Pho Hoa Binh food. I am not sure about My Thanh yet-- update closings/asian parties here. Beware of fireworks in Little Sucky.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 11:03 pm

Long Noodles = Long Life, i know that much.

I think those folks ain't chinese, chuck!
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 7:25 pm | Edited by: Crystal Lake

I went out for the annual dim sum lunch with a bunch of coworkers yesterday. Every year I go, eat a couple of quivering mystery blobs, and then remember that I don't actually like dim sum at all (besides char siu bao - steamed BBQ pork buns). Unfortunately, since I live in Vancouver and work with a bunch of Chinese ladies, the lunar new year is kind of a big deal and i'd feel rude and un-PC to be the only one to skip out. I bet I'm not the only one who thinks it, though.

Any other dim sum haters? I'm really not a fan of a lot of Chinese food, besides the really spicy Szechuan or black bean-y kind. Too greazy & starchy.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 7:27 pm

char siu!!!!!

manapua (same thing)!!!!

yum.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 9:49 pm

I think those folks ain't chinese, chuck!

They like to be referred to as Orientals.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Watch "The Untold Story" for Chinese New Year. Anthony Wong plays a restauranteur in Macau that serves people in his dim sum. Chinese title: Human Pork Buns. True story.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 11:20 pm

I love dim sum. Shiu mai, har gow, crab claw, taro cake, pea tips, pork-stuffed eggplant, baos, it's all good. There used be a place on Clement in SF that had all-you-can-eat dim sum for like $9 on Saturdays. And it was all fresh. You could keep picking stuff off the carts until you were hallucinating. I cried when it closed.

It's the year of the dog. Last weekend, I went to Chinese new year festival in Oakland Chinatown and the Tet festival in Oakland's New Chinatown, which is actually mostly Vietnamese. Lots of crazy high-pitched singing and dudes selling that stuffed banana leaf thing. Not at all touristy like the one in SF.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 4:51 am

Had the best dim dum in my life today at the Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown. Jesus christ it was good. Stuffed for $5.75.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 10:41 am

Is there a good Dim Sum place in Memphis?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®