Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / totally loving this new topic!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 4:26 am

okay, i've been 'away' from the goner board for so long that i totally missed this new section....happy new year and thanks eric!!!!!
did somebody already obsess on my favorite foods...PANCAKES and/or DONUTS!!!!!!

yum yum!!!!!!!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:28 am

....actually, no.

There was a place in Austin for a VERY short time called Roy Henry's Chickens & Waffles on Ben White....weird [doomed] place to open, but Schooley was all about it....

That's all I got...donuts are tas-teee...but pretty sure I never bought any....well. maybe when I werz just a kid I bought the white powder-y ones...

Happy New Year indeed!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:11 am

laurel - do you like krispy kreme donuts?
we only got them in NYC a few years ago, but in my opinion, they wipe the floor w/ dunkin donuts (dunkin donuts have always tasted stale to me)

as for pancakes.... luv em!
i have my dad's 1950-something GOURMET mag cookbook with a recipe for the FLUFFIEST pancakes ever. if you find an old cookbook, the recipes for comfort food from days gone by are far superior to today's calorie counting ones
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:18 am

ooooohhhhhh...Krispy Kreme!!! I was raised on those in the south!
There used to be a pancake house on 1st ave & 16th st or somethin like that a long time ago. They waitresses had these cool big yellow buttons on there shirts that said "Think Sausege!" Anybody know of any pancake houses in NYC?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:24 am

i think the royal canadien pancake house is gone, long gone
can't think of any specific pancake joints, dang.

shall i open a pancake house in your record store?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 1:53 pm

ooooohhhhhh...Krispy Kreme!!! I was raised on those in the south!

I first experienced krispy kreme living in lousiana as a teenager, and I was staying with my aunt who had just had a stroke and was really poor, and her church was always bringing dozens of boxes of these every day because krispy kreme donated them... That said, I really don't like them now that we have them in Ohio.

dunkin donuts have always tasted stale to me

This is so true. My little sister worked at one in high school, though, and apparently keeping that uniform/hat/whatever in plain site in your car TRULY gets you out of some shit with the police!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:16 pm

voodoo doughnut in Portland is pretty great.

http://www.voodoodoughnut.com/
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:53 pm

Lemme just tell you know-nothing jerks about REAL donuts:

WINCHELLS.

Winchells makes the classic american middle class donuts. They might not be as fresh as Krispy Kreme, but they blow Dunkin' away. Plus you can get chocolate frosted chocolate with peanuts. Winchells even hasa cool sign. Yup, the sign is what makes it great.

In So. Cal. there's still a few Spudnuts left. Their donuts are madewith potato flour. They are delicious and huge. Try the apple fritter.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:55 pm

Krispy Kremes were always way too sugary--the balance was off. I liked the fluffy yeast and sugar combo of a good glazed from Howard's.

Thornton's on Lamar did Krispy Kreme local style in Memphis and while getting them hot and off the conveyor belt was cool and all...that compacted sugar blast wasn't what I was looking for with a yeast glazed doughnut.

Voodoo Doughnut really knows how to make 'em.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 4:13 pm

why does EVERYTHING in portland have to have hipster/subculture undertones? stumptown coffee, voodoo donut, that stupid tattooed brass marching band -- it sounds to me like lollapalooza came to town and unfortunately never left...
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Hello! Andria, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head why I rarely leave our house. It has gotten so much worse in the last two years too. It wasn't all THAT bad that long ago.

Those doughnuts are fucking good as hell though. And the coffee...well, it is the best I have ever had. I fought it for about two years before giving into Stumptown Roasters.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 4:25 pm

yeah I have a good friend who lives in Portland and I love him but he's always raving to me about some restaurant/record shop/club that sounds like it belongs on the lollapalooza midway... I'm sure it all tastes good, and I'm also positive that 99% of the tattoo-having, dreadlock-sporting, non-bathing, bike-riding Portlandites love living in a generation x mentality, but I think it would drive me CRAZY!!!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 4:38 pm

Well, OK, that is simplfying it a bit...though not much! The thing that is annoying is that this is a relatively small town (Memphis-sized) with an absolutely enormous population of white kids, post-college (or drop out) 20-somethings, creative subculture of some stripe etc etc. So it is all imbalanced. Regular people are underrepresented because anything that gets attention is rather flashy and part of the whole YOUTH subculture(s) here. There is very little connection or opportunities for connection between these subcultures and the rest of the culture. So they just live in this hipster realm--music, record stores, food, bars, semi-famous musicians who just moved to town, bands...

While you have the people you described, you also have 17 other youth subcultures all over the damn place. It just is uncomfortable when you are perhaps a little over those scenes. Which I happen to be. Call me provencial, small town, Southern, whatever. Its what I am.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:21 pm

her church was always bringing dozens of boxes of these every day because krispy kreme donated them... That said, I really don't like them now that we have them in Ohio.

Here's the thing. A Krispy Kreme in a box is no great shakes. It's just a donut. But a Krispy Kreme fresh off the donut machine is a transcendent experience. The first time I bit into a hot Krispy Kreme, it was like I had seen God.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:32 pm

There's a place down the street from our house called "Yum-ee Donuts" we have only been there a few times, but they were yummy! I also think the food and drink string was a great idea, since we all like to eat and drink and talk about it.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:42 pm

ahhh...the beauty of a hot krispy kreme straight off the conveyor....almost orgasmic the way they melt on your tongue. There is really no topping a hot glazed kk. Boxed - not so good. I have always been a fan of the howard's doughnut holes.

Winchell's? - had 'em wasn't impressed, but they weren't terrible. Salt Lake has a doughnut shop called banbury cross that has pretty damn good doughnuts.

anybody had spudnuts? strange but pretty good
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:45 pm

I metioned Spudnuts above. My fave along with Winchells.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:54 pm

sorry - in my haze of illness i missed the spudnuts mention
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:56 pm

Yo I'm ill too, nigga!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:56 pm

Sorry if that turned you on, fiery...
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:58 pm

What? Spudnuts? I have no clue what those is.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:04 pm

Spudnuts? I have no clue what those

potato doughnuts
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:05 pm

I meant my black talk.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:12 pm

Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:19 pm

We have all these gyro/donut places popping up all over town. It's really strange...
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:46 pm

WINCHELLS.

amen brother. they are dwindling, though. i LOVED winchell's... great variety and stayed fresh longer in the display case than Dunkin ever was (even when DD's were "freshly baked")

Krispy Kremes are a must when they roll off the conveyor. i only go when that fluorescent HOT DOUGNUTS light is on
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 7:49 pm

I flipped out when I found out there were no Winchell's on this coast. I was positive for years that's where all Americans got donuts.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 8:23 pm

This has been discussed before - but Sherry's Austin Chicken and Waffles join t makes me think of both the amazing LA institution Rosco's Chicken and Waffles and the Calvary Church Lunch deal which is coming up again soon here in memphis - they do it for Lint, Ithink, and always serve Chicken an Waffles. Lots of other good things too. You do have to eat in a church, but the food's good!

Would love a good chikcen and waffle joint in town. COME ON ROSCO!

also, Howard's Donuts get my vote. APple Fritter time. Yes!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 9:02 pm

we only got them in NYC a few years ago,

I remember there was a Krispy Kreme in the World Trade Center plaza that was destroyed in 9/11. For that alone, I wanted bloody vengeance on the terrorists!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 9:15 pm

If one is inclined to avoid the hipsterpalooza of Voodoo Donuts, but still needs their mean sugar fix, I would suggest Joe's Donuts in Sandy/Zig Zag. A bit of a drive, yes, but if you're already on your way to Mt. Hood, stop in. The BEST DONUTS IN THE WORLD. The apple fritter weighs in at around 2lbs, the maple maple bar a respectable 1.5lbs, and the coffee is only .75 cents.

And it's full of old-timer regulars who will simultaneously chastise you for being from the city, and treat you with that crazy small-town hospitality that seems to be slipping further and further from city centers.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 9:23 pm

Yeah, no Winchell's in NYC...but we do have one of the all time depressing donut shops....Twin Donut.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 5:40 am

oh god is twin donut depressing!

the dunkin donuts on 23rd between broadway and park was almost directly under my apt. (nyc that is) and it is open 24/7. that's a depressing one too. homeless people essentially live there. well they nurse an empty cuppa joe. when you're trying to alleviate your drunk w/ a few donuts at 4 AM... this is NOT the place to do it
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 6:52 am

amazing LA institution Rosco's Chicken

I TRIED to take my man there tonight. he's too civilized... shall i hold it against him? on the other hand... did have a nice italian meal

ANY LA Goners wanna do Roscoe's on Friday night?
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 1:50 am

okay zac i have a reason to bring your band to sf/oakland. its called the merritt bakery. home of THE most delicious chicken and waffle combo. sadly not available after 1 am on thursday nights as chriso and i discovered..booo. also they have amazingly shaped cakes. like hamburger cake and sexy man cake. i'm not kidding!! i love that place!!! bay area!!!!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 2:05 am | Edited by: Hugh Jass

okay zac i have a reason to bring your band to sf/oakland. its called the merritt bakery

I lived across the street from Merritt Bakery for 2 years at E. 18th and Lakeshore! It's kinda pricey for the amount of food they give, but the chicken is some of the best in Oakland and their pastries and cakes are great. Unfortunately, it's not open 24hrs anymore, either.

Have you tried that Louisiana Fried Chicken place on Broadway & Grand? I think that chicken may be even a little better than Merritt. I'm always scoping out places to eat in waaay deep East Oakland, though, so I anticipate finding even better chicken soon. Go Oakland!

Oh yeah, there's also that chicken n' waffle place on B'Way right across for the entrance to Jack London Square. It's okay, but the old Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles (which was 4 blocks from where Chris O lives now) was better- and cheaper.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®