Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Paynes vs BBQ Shop
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:43 am

Anybody care to give their memphian opinion. Me and the lady have a serious debate going on at home.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:48 am

I don't know about BBQ Shop cos I am not a rib fan, but Payne's has easily the best BBQ chopped pork--fuck it, BBQ pork, PERIOD-- sandwich in the world.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:51 am

fuck it, BBQ pork, PERIOD-- sandwich in the world.

As much as I loved Payne's when I tried it at G-Fest 2, I think the sliced pork sandwich at Chef Edwards in Downtown Oakland is actually better.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:32 am

As I have never and likely never will had this "Chef" Edwards, I will stand by Payne's!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:01 pm

Pork aint meant to be sliced....chop that shit up. I dont trust anybody labeled a "chef" makin my bbq sandwich...for real!! I think the BBQ Shop has a pretty good sandwich and the hottest sauce in town by far, but as a whole you cant fuck with Paynes. CANNOT
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:50 pm

Agreed.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:12 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Pork aint meant to be sliced....chop that shit up. I dont trust anybody labeled a "chef" makin my bbq sandwich...for real!!

Dude, Chef Edwards is a big 70 year old black dude that looks like a cross between Ice-T and Barry White and wears a filthy apron at all times. And he never puts down his cleaver. I'm sure the title "chef" was bestowed on him by his many admirers. His restaurant is in downtown Oakland, catty-corner from the Greyhound station- not exactly the home of sophisicated dining. This place makes Payne's look like the dining room at the Four Seasons. You southerners think you have the market cornered on good BBQ. Oakland has a lot of good que, due to all of the black folks that moved out here from the south during WWII to build ships. When the ship-building industry went belly up and most of them lost their jobs in the 60's and 70's, they didn't have much to do but kill each other, join the black panthers, or make killer BBQ. Oakland rules!
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Dude, Chef Edwards is a big 70 year old black dude that looks like a cross between Ice-T and Barry White and wears a filthy apron at all times. And he never puts down his cleaver. I'm sure the title "chef" was bestowed on him by his many admirers. His restaurant is in downtown Oakland, catty-corner from the Greyhound station- not exactly the home of sophisicated dining. This place makes Payne's look like the dining room at the Four Seasons. You southerners think you have the market cornered on good BBQ. Oakland has a lot of good que, due to all of the black folks that moved out here from the south during WWII to build ships. When the ship-building industry went belly up and most of them lost their jobs in the 60's and 70's, they didn't have much to do but kill each other, join the black panthers, or make killer BBQ. Oakland rules!

Chris, is that you?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:37 pm

Ahhh....Oakland!! Home of the A's, Too Short...the Raiders. Ive never been there and probably never will so I cant make that call, but I do feel pretty confident bout us southerners and our BBQ.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:48 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Yeah, Hugh. You gotta let the South have that. Oakland does remind me of Memphis in many ways, namely the fact that it is basically ruled by people of the black race. But those people out here are absconders, expatriates...after awhile the culture gets a bit dilluted and becomes its own thing. I have never had any West Coast BBQ that is as good as the South (incl. Texas and KC in "South" as they do their thang).

You don't see Memphis trying to claim shit like the Black Panthers and Sonny Rollins, right?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Chris, is that you?

No, this ain't Chris Owen, but I took him to his first visit at Chef Edwards.

I agree that "the south" can get dilluted out of some folks in a lot of ways, but a lot of the ghetto communities in Oakland and Richmond are so insular, those folks may as well be back down south. That said, Chef Edwards BBQ is certainly different than Payne's. The hot BBQ sauce at Chef's is a lot hotter than Payne's for one thing. BTW, I think he's orginally from Louisiana, so the BBQ may be different there than in TN, anyway.

I will give you that BBQ in the South is better than anywhere else, yet I still assert that Chef has the best BBQ pork sandwich in the world. What can I say, I'm loyal. And so are ya'all. And I respect that. If Chef's ever closes, Payne's immediately moves up to my #1 position.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 9:30 pm

The chopped at Payne's is a delight, and the best in town. I am beguiled by their rib sandwich though. It's like a bone-in version of the McRib.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:21 pm

as are most rib sandwiches- and fried chicken sandwiches.

piece of fried chicken, bone-in, between 2 pieces of white bread.

i don't know what they're thinking, either.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:23 pm

Fried chicken SANDWICHES?

Wha?
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:31 pm

I've asked a lotta old school folks about that, and this is the answer I got everytime -- Mr Withers the photographer gives a really good version:

if you were out and about, or on your way home, you'd stop into a restaurant and ask for a rib or fried chicken sandwich, which you'd eat while walking. the top slice of bread works as a napkin, the bottom as a plate -- so you'd open up the sandwich, sop up the sauce with the top slice (or use bread to mop up spills on your face, hands, and shirt), eat the meat, throw away the bone, then eat the plate.

simple, really.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Dancing Pigs Hot is the best sauce in my world. I am fortunate to be able to altern-eat between BBQ Shop, Payne's, and Cozy Corner. Payne's sandwich wins, but i need my hens and ribs too.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:53 pm

eat the meat, throw away the bone, then eat the plate.

simple, really.

When you explain it like that, I guess it's no weirder than eating gumbo that has chicken pieces with bones in them and crab and shrimp with their shells on. Huzzah for the bone-in rib sandwich!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 1:44 am

Andria, when you gave that version my face literally made that "But of course!" look!
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 4:17 am

I know -- it used to confound me too, but it's so fucking obvious!
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 1:38 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE, SOMEBODY SEND SOME DANCIN' PIGS (hot variety) TO LONDON!!!! WE'RE DYING OVER HERE, THE FOOD'S TOOOOOO BLAAAAND!!!!! (Even most curries) ... Shit, what I owuldn't give for even a Tops BBQ sanwich rite now ... Corky's still sucks assmeat, tho' ...
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 4:29 pm

eat the meat, throw away the bone, then eat the

First time I saw the rib sandwich I was a little confused. I was at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa and once it was 'plained to us, we just ordered several full racks and dove in. Not my favorite ribs, but damn good.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 6:44 pm

i still have a hard time getting excited anymore about barbecue sandwiches since we lost j.c. not only an amazing bar, not only an amazingly great guy, but one unbelievable sandwich. and quite a burger too. fuck i'm sad now. that's what i mean. it just sucks.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 10:28 pm

I still get a hankerin' for that piggy!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 3:06 pm

JC made a mean one - two sanwiches, quart of beer, ten bucks, no messin' with that ...
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 3:16 pm

..call me stupid, but whats J.C.?
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 3:46 pm

JC Hardaway was the man behind The Big S - his BBQ was amazing. So were his cheeseburgers. He had a little kitchen in the corner of this tiny bar off McLemore behind Southern. The perfect lunch: 1 cheeseburger, 1 bbq sandwich, fries and a quart... cheeseburger cooled the pain of the really peppery BBQ. Man it was good. And you'd chat with JC, and if you were lucky you'd pick up every fourth or fifth word about how his feet were hurting. JC past away a few years back.

Plumley and I were just talking about him the other day!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Took my cousin and Nadia's uncles there for a beer when we were over last year, and was sad to hear about JC's passing ...
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 6:38 pm

we always figured the JC stood for Jesus Christ...
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 7:56 pm

I have been there about 4 or 5 years ago or so. Tiny place and the dude was old as hell, but damn right the BBQ was great. I had no idea that was dudes name(or maybe not)...thanks for the info.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 8:08 pm

[url=www.goner-records.com/index/images/jchardawayinbigs.jpg]JC![/url]
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 8:12 pm | Edited by: zac

Posted: Jan 31, 2006 8:21 pm

you can still go by the big s for a beer- amazing atmosphere.

last time we went, the jazz dj was just setting up and there were 10 ladies...no men!

single guys could completely make the scene!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®