Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / heat gun cooking
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:07 am

today I was using a heat gun, which is a pretty mind numbing task, and my mind started wandering and I started thinking that heat gun would be the perfect thing for searing the outside of a steak or a burger whilst leaving the inside nice and bloody. I'm going to try this one day unless someone here can give me a reason not to.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:41 am | Edited by: unfriendly1

Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:46 am

Well, the internet told me that some people are using the heat-gun method to roast their coffee beans.
http://www.homeroaster.com/heatgun.html

And you should NOT use it to dry your hair.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060106/D8EVDAB80.html
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 1:24 am

Everything in that article is completely accurate (regarding roasting coffee), Womb Raider. I think I would even recommend this over my pan-roasting method. Especially since you have easy access to the green beans, Chris.
I have heard and seen people use Popcorn-poppers for beans, but it's really messy. I can't believe I've never thought of this method before. I think I will try this myself! Thanks, unfriendly1!
Another benefit from this, is that it would blow out the chaff. I'm going to need to get a heat gun now. But it'd have to be one that you could switch from heat to blowing cool air. Once the coffee is roasted (especially dark roasts) the bean needs to be cooled quickly.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 2:28 am

whatever you do, don't spend $75 on one. I got this for $9.99: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=107&pric etype=
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:26 am

if you need something to blow cool air I would suggest this crazy thing called a "fan" or buy a thrift store hair dryer and cut the coils out.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:33 am

Hair dryer would be better, actually. A fan doesn't blow hard enough in a concentrated manner. I use one for the pan roasting method, but a hair dryer on cool blow would definitely do better for separating chaff and cooling.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:34 am

I'm gonna post pictures whe this is done, by the way...
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:42 am

get an air compressor. seriously. I bought a 33 gal. compressor the other day, which is definite overkill for coffee purposes, but it's the most versatile thing you can own. air, brah!
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:48 am

Dude, I really want one. Hardly has there ever been such a versatile contraption. I could put a lug-nut on quickly, or airbrush a mall t-shirt with dolphins on it that says "Fuck all y'all".

On another subject, I'm listening to Art Bell lament the death of his wife on the radio right now.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 6:58 am

Note to self: Get an air-brushed t-shirt that has a dolphin fucking a unicorn under a rainbow that says in scrolling type at the bottom - "Fuck all y'all..."
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:00 pm

make two...
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:08 pm

My dad often uses a small blow-torch to roast peppers.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:25 pm

I got a small one for a wedding present. It's great--loads of fun. works good for tuna steaks, brownin' stuff or just playing with fire---probably the coolest thing in my kitchen
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®