Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Speaking of the best Ruebens...
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:20 pm

Who knows where the best Monte Cristo is? That's my all time favorite sandwich.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:32 pm

Man...whats on a Monte Cristo?? Does it have powdered sugar on it??
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:32 pm

Your'e not gonna believe this,but the best Monte Cristo I've ever had was some left over whopper .I was too drunk to notice that it was'nt realy a fried beef sandwich in the first place,It was someone elses gabage.I loved it.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:35 pm

yes,it's fried like french toast,sometimes dipped in au ju.swiss cheese rocks
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:52 pm

It should always have turkey on it! Powdered sugar on it is ace.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:55 pm

Al's Good Food on Mission in San Francisco has a great Monte Cristo. I don't understand why the Monte Cristo isn't available at more places. It's at least as good as a club sandwich, which is everywhere.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:57 pm

They are rather hard to locate.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 8:15 pm

i'd try a greek short order type place

Unfortunately, those kind of places are scarce West of the Mississippi. Most of the sandwich/lunch counter places in Calif. are run by Chinese. They don't know about the Monte Cristo.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 9:05 pm | Edited by: pheezy

I had one just last weekend in the east bay @ Rudy's Can't Fail. Not deep-fried, but still a fine sammich.

Ham, turkey, swiss and cheddar on french toast with powdered sugar AND syyyyyyyrup. Good morning, stomach!
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 9:09 pm

Damn, that's hittin' the spot proper! I dont know about cheddar though. That part was ok?
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 9:23 pm

I had one just last weekend in the east bay @ Rudy's Can't Fail. Not deep-fried, but still a fine sammich.

That's funny. I ate there on Sunday. The food there is good, but a lot of the portions are on the skimpy side and the prices are generally too high. I guess one of the dudes from Green Day is a co-owner.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 11:11 pm

I live right around the corner, Hugh. The food is good, not amazing. Their fried chicken is pretty tasty, their fries are amazingly delicious, and the breakfasts are very filling and good. And, yeah, I've heard the same about the ownership.

But, more to the point, yeah, the cheddar didn't interfere-- added a little more sweetness. But, I mean, it WAS doused in syrup.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 11:21 pm

i used to get monte cristos delivered from the gramercy diner (on third ave around 17th) and they were great AND actually traveled well (well, it was only 2 blocks)
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am

I can't believe I've never had a Monte Christo. This sandwich sounds deicious. There is a gap in my life that must be filled.

I have also mentioned to my wife that we MUST have Missouri Club sandwiches soon. Cheese. Sauce.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 12:24 am

we MUST have Missouri Club sandwiches soon

What's this?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 12:45 am

I had never heard of it before, either, until my wife made them for me.

Essentially it's a club sandwich with or without tomatoes, but no lettuce. Bread toasted extra firm. Heavy on the bacon and meat. Slice the sandwich in two diagonally, then ladle on some of this awesome cheese sauce she makes. Eat with fork.

She said her family used to eat them all the time, before she stopped eating meat. I have no idea why cheese sauce makes this club sandwich a "Missouri" Club.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 1:31 am

Man, that sounds tasty. I've already booked my flight to Kansas City.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:56 pm

jack- you can get a pretty good monte cristo at the half shell at mendenhall and poplar
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 7:46 pm

Posted: Jan 28, 2006 7:47 pm

windy...where was that place where me and you and scott went to get that reuben
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 9:09 pm

i forget the name - movie and pizza company or something like that.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 12:43 am

After doing some googling it would seem that one of the most well known monte cristo sandwiches in the world is served at Blue Bayou in New Orleans Square in Disneyland. The irony being that you cannot get a Monte Cristo sandwich anywhere in New Orleans, except for Bennigan's.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:24 am

I want a Monte Cristo. In memphis or NYC in about a week. Where to go I will be in midtown and BedStuy.....and rikers.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:47 am

I haven't tried the Monte Cristo @ Shopsin's, yet, but I bet they do it right (if EXPENSIVE).

From the menu:

monte cristo- turkey, ham, gruyere, strawberry jam, pan fried 14.95

more options on the dense, 12 page menu w/ thousands of items at http://www.shopsins.com.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:11 pm

you gotta be kidding me!! That menu is for real?? Ive never seen such a badass selection of shit to eat...oh my god!! We gots nothi...nothin like that...fuck.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:35 pm

$15 for a sandwich?

$12 for pancakes?

Is that menu a joke?
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:37 pm

BLISTERS FOR MY SISTERS!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 7:31 pm

this menus is NO JOKE.

it's worth saving up for.

the down & dirty @ http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?020415fa_FACT

blisters for my sisters: http://flickr.com/photos/pheezy/42484655/

and CATFISH HASH w/ CORN FRITTERS: http://flickr.com/photos/pheezy/42484635/
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:02 pm

oh shopsin's...
yes.... i haven't been there in ages.
used to go w/ my friend lizz when we were writing - so i associate it with writing and eavesdropping (for the writing, of course).

we saw jfk jr there (that tells you how long ago i was there - he was still alive) and my dining companions - 3 otherwise blase ny gals - all drooled over his entrance.... in tight bicycle shorts and roller blades. he came in w/ some older guy who we figured out later was probably one of the money men behind GEORGE

ANYWAY.... the food IS superb
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®