2 cups lime juice (from about 16 limes)
4 to 6 Serrano or jalapeño peppers, halved, seeded and finely chopped
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 leaves Boston or butter lettuce
2 grapefruits (one ruby, one white), peeled and segmented
2 avocados, peeled and thinly sliced.

1. Place the scallops and halibut in separate nonreactive bowls. Season each generously with salt. Add 3/4 cup lime juice to each bowl, toss again, cover and refrigerate. After 45 minutes, drain the halibut, discarding the lime juice, and return halibut to the bowl. Fifteen minutes later, repeat with the scallops.

2. Combine the peppers, shallots, cilantro and remaining 1/2 cup lime juice in a nonreactive bowl, cover and refrigerate.

3. Fifteen minutes before serving, whisk olive oil into shallot mixture. Pour half over the scallops and half over the halibut. Toss and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

4. Line each of eight plates with a lettuce leaf. Top with a layer of grapefruit and a layer of avocado. Adjust seasoning of scallops and halibut. Place a handful of each over the avocado slices and sprinkle with cilantro.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 9:41 pm

¿Por Que No? on Mississippi makes a mean ceviche. We walk down there when it's hot out, get some ceviche and some sangria, and watch the yuppies move in.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 9:51 pm

We went to Porque No? when it first opened and I have banned it on principle ever since. Not the typical yuppie principle but the one that scerams foul when I am ripped off. For $2.50, they need to hook ya up with mo' carnitas in those bitches. Ripoff!!!!!!

I heard the ceviche ws good though, so maybe next summer.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 9:52 pm

Por Que Pig?
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Yeah, I know, sizes are a little small- but they ARE using really good ingredients. They source from the same purveyors that supply Paley's, Bluehour, Carafe, Wildwood, Park Kitchen, etc. etc.

And those home-made tortillas are the shit.

Speaking of getting ripped off, though, I once had the ceviche at Mint... GARBAGE! And super expensive. I hate that fuckin' place (though they are supposed to have a new chef and cheaper/better menu).
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:23 pm

that sounds really really really good. i have some scallops at home too that i am needed to fix. maybe i will try this.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:27 pm

Y'all eat stuff I have to look up on Google.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Jack Stands, ceviche is your new favorite food. But those no stinkin' mushrooms in it.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:40 pm

Did you know?
Mushrooms have been known to help with vision.
People who hate mushrooms walk into glass doors alot...
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 10:43 pm

The most important ingredients of the Peruvian Ceviche is the Peruvian lemon (a counsin of the Key Lime), which is not so sour but strong, and the aji amarillo pepper, which is not only hot, but very tasty (be careful when using a small piece of a red, round vegetable called "rocoto pepper." It is sometimes put over the dish as a decoration when serving. Because you could take it to be a tomato and it is a very, very, very hot big red pepper.

Tiger milk is the juice that stays in the plate after eating the fish. Perfect after a "resaca", the way we call that miserable feeling we have after drinking too much the night before. It is not a misbehavior if you raise the plate with your hands and put it in your mouth to drink it. But you can also put it in a glass, alone or with some vodka or Pisco, if you like.

I could try it.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 12:21 am

Ceviche would be perfect for those sick hot days around July 27th in Memphis.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:00 am

Ceviche is the perfect food.
Served w/ Ice Cold Beer.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®