Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:35 am

i have been a ben and jerry's junkie lately due to my lack of alcohol intake. i think my favorite flavor is definitely pistachio pistachio. fucking great.

what is your favorite ice cream flavor? any recommendations?
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 6:34 am

Oh man, pistachio ice cream is rad. I also eat a lot of gelato- Trader Joe's has decent gelato for cheap.

Mostly though I just get vanilla or coffee. And never the gross, custardy french vanilla bullshit. That stuff sucks. Haagan Das makes the best nationally distributed ice cream, but Ben + Jerry's is pretty close.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 9:41 am

Country Fresh Chocolate. Bryers taste like "ass cream"..
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 5:04 pm

jeers to ben & jerrys for shelving their "Southern Pecan Pie" flavor, which was literally just crushed up pecan pie in vanilla ice cream, crust and all. it was the best. I stopped supporting those hippy jerkoffs when they stopped making it. blue bell all the way.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Haagan Das makes the best nationally distributed ice cream, but Ben + Jerry's is pretty close.

Definately. Ther's always HD in the freezer, but when we were in Santa Barbara we wnt to a B&J's for a cone and I got oatmel cookie. One of the best flavors I've ever had.

But for my top HD flavs:
1. Chocolate and Peanut butter
2. Banana split
3. mint chip
4. rocky road (this really is a perfect ice cream)
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm

I like that Godiva ice cream - the vanilla with dark chocolate caramel-filled hearts, but I can't remember what the flavor is called.

I also love Graeter's but I fortunately don't have one close enough to be harmful.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Haagen Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake. There was (I thought) some sort of other caramel-inflected Haagen Dazs (other than Dulce de Leche), but I can't remember it.

I also love B&J Chubby Hubby. Pretzels and chocolate!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 7:45 pm

without ice cream and kool-aid, i probably might die. peppermint stick with hot fudge.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 7:47 pm

I miss 15 cent cones at Thrifty Drugs. Cheap ice cream with little ice particles in it. Classic.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:04 pm

I miss 15 cent cones at Thrifty Drugs. Cheap ice cream with little ice particles in it. Classic.

Rite-Aide took over Thrifty Drugs about 5-6 years ago, but they still sell Thrifty Ice Cream in the freezer section. A handful of Rite-Aide stores (including the one in Downtown Oakland) actually still have an ice cream cone counter with that weird scoop, which is really more of a cylinder than a scoop. It's still the cheapest cone around, but it's more like $1 now.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:08 pm

I love that Breyer's super vanilla or deluxe vanilla (whatever it's called)- the kind with the extra flecks of vanilla bean in it. Get a Take 5 bar, bash it apart, and mix it up in that ice cream. You won't be sorry. Sometimes, I'll even add a few extra pretzels to the mix. Soooo good!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:15 pm

One of my fave at home desserts is vanilla ice cream with a couple spoonfulls of PB and some Hershey's syrup.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:27 pm

Haagan Das Macadamia Nut Brittle
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:28 pm

been meaning to try that.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:35 pm | Edited by: sixteene

haagen dazs eggnog with swirls of caramel. yum.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 9:22 pm

when we were in Santa Barbara we wnt to a B&J's for a cone and I got oatmel cookie. One of the best flavors I've ever had.

Holy shit, this is by far the best flavor. Cinnamon ice cream, fudge chunks and oatmeal cookie chunks.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 9:42 pm

Yeah, it was HELLA good.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 4:06 am

I also love Graeter's

i used to walk to the graeter's on ludlow in cincinnati. fucking great ice cream and they have the best sugar cookies known to mankind. holy hell.

godiva ice cream is terrific too. i really liked the chocolate with the raspberry swirl. i got kinda disappointed when i tried the magic brownie ben and jerry's with the raspberry swirls. but then again, i should have known it would suck when it is a special "dave matthews band" flavor. blah!

i have yet to try the oatmeal cookie b&j. might have to check that out. and yeah i would be upset if i had ever had the southern pecan pie flavor because that sounds amazing. i've been testing out different flavors of b&j...all the mixed up ones are a little too much for me...too many chunks of different stuff. i'd rather just stick to a lot of chunks of a couple things rather than 5 or 6 things.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 6:45 am

all these posts and no love for haagan daz' DULCHE DE LECHE? for shame. for shame.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 7:14 am

Strohs Ice Cream....i see it all over the Midwest.. great Rocky Road!!
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 4:09 pm

Forget ice cream. Its all about the frozen custard. Smooth, creamy, doesn't freeze your tastebuds, no risk of a brain freeze, and made fresh all day. I know cause I have to make it five days week.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 4:15 pm

Ryan what was that other Haagen Dasz with caramel?!?!?! Oh yeah, CARAMEL CONE!!!!! Jesus. Caramel ice cream with caramel swirl with chocolate covered Waffle Cone bitlets.

I am "off the ice cream" though, so enjoy it for me.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 5:26 pm

Its all about the frozen custard.

where can you get this tasty goodness in memphis? i love this stuff but haven't had it in years. i think the last time i had it was the last time i went to detroit about 3 years ago.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 5:33 pm

Carl, I know where you work. Which location is it at?
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 5:40 pm

elle.........You can lap frozen custard in the Memphis area (Cordova) at Sheridans Frozen Custard at 8075 Macon Road.....right offa GTown Pkwy.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 7:24 pm

If you are ever in Cambridge, MA, go to Christina's Home Made on Cambridge Street (Inman Square). It doesn't matter what flavor you get; it's the best ice cream in the Boston area.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 12:28 am

it's the best ice cream in the Boston area.

there was a place in boxford that was a working dairy farm that sold ice cream, it was the fucking best when i was a kid.
in chicago the strawberry shake from oberweiss can not be beat.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 1:16 am

SParks FLoaT:

full can of tasty tangy Sparks ( pour into a beer mug)
2 or 3 scoops of Orange Sherbet Ice cream
enjoy..!

disclaimer: ive never tried this, but someone should, and post a link or pic of it..i dare ya!
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 3:10 am

LOVE frozen custard.

Bazooka - I've not been to SB in a year (and i'm 100 miles away and not goin) - is McConnell's Ice Cream still around (State St)?

Haagen Daz flavors I like are:
Strawberry (makes a great milkshake)
Vanilla Swiss Almond
Dulce de Leche
Bananas Foster
French Vanilla
and the discontinued Winter Pear Sorbet -- please bring it back you clowns!

Ben & Jerry's Flavors
Cherry Garcia
Coffee

just about any premium ice cream brand makes a great butter pecan because how can you go wrong w/ butter and pecans?

Dreamery made a flavor that sounded good theoretically but tasted bland in reality: it was vanilla based ice cream with chocolate swirl and cayenne pepper. bland. Could have been a contender
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 3:10 am

OH.... and in Austin, TX MUST HAVE Amy's Mexican Vanilla (plain - no mix-ins)
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 8:02 am

Dreyer's Apple Pie flavor kind of blew my mind when I recently discovered it. It's vanilla ice cream with pieces of cinnamony-apple in it, and ... also ... nice, crisp pieces of PIE CRUST.

Agent Cooper's knees would buckle.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 2:37 pm

Elle, if you come in early on a Monday, Wednesday, or a Friday you can get it for free from me. Doesn't work later because other people come in but generally up until noon I work by myself.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 6:29 pm

I LOVE BURGER KING CHOCOLATE SHAKES!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 9:35 pm

Chubby Hubby.
Chunky Monkey.
ANYTHING Bryer's.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 11:17 pm

When i was in san francisco a couple months ago I had ice cream at bombay ice cream on valencia-- the most delicious ice cream I have had in my life! saffron and rose cardomon were my favorites.

also: ice cream plus at airways and lamar in memphis. the lemon custard flavor is a particularly tasty treat and for really cheap you get huge scoops.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 11:31 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

i had some gelato in the airport at chicago (midway) and i totally forgot i was in chicago - and got two scoops. they were ginormous. in NY, two scoops would be two swallows.

i want ice cream now. thanks people. reading this made me so long for some ice cream and its raining outside!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:08 am

Why so fancy? Mint Chocolate Chip from 31 flavors in a sugar cone.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:17 am

i just had haagen dazs dulce de leche. mm mm good!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:46 am

no no no... MacDonalds has killer cho-co-late shakes..!!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:00 pm

Drumsticks.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 8:29 pm

Wow, when I opened this thread I was gonna write something like "Meh, ice cream makes my stomach hurt." Now, I am going to get it for lunch cause I cant stop drooling
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 9:56 pm

well stop breathing through your mouth for once then you might not drool so much
Posted: Feb 4, 2006 5:25 pm

ah lemon custard. The second most requested flavor by black people besides strawberry. They always get rude when they find out we don't have either of those. STUPID FUCKERS READ THE MENU!!! Sorry, had to vent.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®