Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / orange chicken
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 7:16 am

my boyfriend and i are trying to recreate an orange chicken recipe made by a place called peking duck in houston. we used a mix of cornstarch, egg, and soy sauce for the batter and after deep frying with vegetable oil the chicken batter was just not thick enough. we battered and fried it again a second time and it was thicker, but not crispy.

that said, can anyone recommend a good way to batter chicken? we are trying to get it to be both thick and crispy. any ideas??
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 4:46 pm

try beer batter - beer and flour
you can put in seasonings if you like - soy sauce, or herbs/spices
i don't think the cornstarch is really going to help the batter. cornstarch works much better as a thickening agent for sauces

maybe for extra thickness, dip chicken in egg, shake off excess drip, then dip into flour, shake off excess flour, then into batter, then into fryer

i use beer batter for deep frying oysters. tender oysters, crispy batter

make sure oil is hot enough - don't put too many pieces of chicken in at once, as it will bring down the temperature of the oil considerably
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®