Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Dinner vs. Supper
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 3:11 pm

I say "dinner"
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 3:26 pm

If its during the week its supper. If its Sunday, it must be dinner.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 5:45 pm

dinner.
If it's after the theatre it's supper.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 5:50 pm

dinner.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 6:30 pm

Supper was what my grandmother Minnie referred to as lunch.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 6:32 pm | Edited by: lemissa

Growing up it was supper every night except Sunday.

Now most of the time I say 'dinner', but often times if someone calls in the evening and ask what I'm doing I'll say almost too naturally reply with 'I'm fixin' supper'.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 6:38 pm

dinner all the way. supper is for old people.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 6:57 pm

ouch
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 7:35 pm

Lemissa, get off the goner board and call me! A
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 8:12 pm

I always say dinner but it seems to be regional, and generational among other things. This is from Wikipedia if you really care...

Supper is the evening meal - ordinarily the last meal of the day.

In the United Kingdom, supper is a small meal just before bedtime, often preceded by high tea; what a Canadian or American would refer to as supper, then, would be called dinner. However, "dinner" can be used to refer to lunch in Britain and parts of the United States and Canada.

In English-speaking countries such as Britain, Canada, and the United States, the evening meal is usually served in the early evening, sometime between five and nine p.m. However, supper customs vary in European cultures. In Spain, supper can be as late as ten or eleven p.m.

In Britain and Ireland, the understanding of "supper" is typically a meal taken in the evening (between 6pm and midnight) when one's main meal or "dinner" has been eaten during the day; in place of "dinner", when the main meal of the day is usually taken in the evening, or distinct from "dinner" in that it is another light meal taken several hours later on the same evening. "Supper" is typically a lighter meal, often served cold and unlikely to involve either elaborate preparation or more than one or two courses.

The term "supper" is derived from the French souper, which is still used for this meal in Canadian French and sometimes in Belgian French. It is related to soup, a food often served at supper.

Continental French for "supper" is dīner; in Catalan it is sopar; in Spanish and Italian it is cena, and in Esperanto it is vespermanĝo.

In Scots and Scottish English, a fish supper is a portion of fish and chips.

In Australian English, supper may refer to a late light dessert had some time after dinner
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 8:24 pm

Supper always reminds me too much of what they served at Shoney's and whatever that HUGE cafeteria was...I think they had one in the Poplar Plaza
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 8:30 pm

Britling's...now Tasty Buffet. We ate there all the time when I was a kid (fried cod, macaroni and cheese, greens and chocolate pudding).
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm against supper. way against it.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:38 pm

It's such a redneck/country thing. Two of the girls I'm working with, from South Haven and Nutbush neighborhoods respecitively, both say supper and are under 25. They also have kids and tithe so often times I feel like the youngin' in the bunch. I mean young one.

The cashier at Briltling's was a grade school teacher of my mom's...in the early 50s. My grandmother LOVED going there.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:44 pm

So did mine. I used to think my grandmother was someone special because of all the people that would stop to say hello to us. Straight out of the 50s...decor and all. That room was pretty fancy.
Every single time we were there, as we'd go through the line, she'd say "Careful, Lis, your eyes are bigger than your stomach."
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Supper's kinda cute.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Two of the girls I'm working with, from South Haven and Nutbush neighborhoods respecitively...are under 25. They also have kids

The latter is obvious, and there is no need to re-state.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:17 pm

"Careful, Lis, your eyes are bigger than your stomach."

Did we all have the same grandmother? I heard this for the first time here too. Wasn't there a big cafeteria Downtown too? You're right, the room was pretty damn fancy. I would freak out by the time we would get to the dessert section. I had already gotten jello with "whup cream" and then there were ALL THOSE PIES!
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:24 pm

It really was a mind-boggling, kid in a candy store type thing. They had salads with RAISINS AND WALNUTS. It was pretty damned exotic. That's the reason I had the same thing every single time I went there (a lot). Once I varied and went down that slippery slope...

As for "supper"...mother still says "I'm fixin supper". Grew up with that all my life, I just never took to it. Course, my kids laugh at her now because of her quaint southernisms. She says "saredee" for Saturday.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:26 pm

We went to Gerber's Tea Room downtown. I can't remember what cafeteria was there...maybe another Britlings?
And, very funny you first heard that there too.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:56 pm

We went to some tea room, maybe that was it. My mom is a blend of country and Southern. My granny was very Southern. She would always be faux-shocked at things I said (and now I stupidly have forgotten her expression, "Well, my word, isn't that (something--starts with a "d")?" If I did something the least bit good, it was "Well, isn't that GRAND??!?!?!"
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 11:16 pm

She says "saredee" for Saturday.

I'm in love with your mom.
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 12:25 am

It's oddly endearing.
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 12:56 am

Are you thinking of the Piccadilly downtown? I think it was on Court Square or near Court Square and it had two levels with an electric dumbwaiter? Or am I really, really old.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 6:55 am

duper and sinner... i prefer Leakfast over Brunch.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:07 am

dinner. for certain.
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 4:15 pm

BLUNCH!
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 4:23 pm

It could have been the Piccadilly. Strangely, the only things I remember about it (I was probably 3 or 4 so it isn't really strange) are that it was Downtown and had these weird huge circular vents in the ceiling.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 10:46 pm

We always used to laugh at the vice-principal when he'd get on the intercom and read what we were having for dinner (lunch). What a rube! Let's get a can of pop. Was the "d" word ducky, fiery?
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 11:12 pm

(and now I stupidly have forgotten her expression, "Well, my word, isn't that (something--starts with a "d")?"

Or was it "different"? A lot of country folks use that term to mean "unbelievably strange and not really okay for nice people."
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 11:13 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

-
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 11:17 pm

ha! huge jass, that's what my mama always said about my high school boyfriends' hair cuts -- "now, isn't that different..."
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 12:51 am

Or was it "different"?

Oh no, she was faaahhhhhhrrrrr too polite to ever be even that obvious about cutting someone down. I never heard her say anything really all that mean, unless you count the typical racist shit common to Southern people her age. She was beyond polite even; she was totally and genuinely NICE. I don't think they make many people like her anymore. RIP Granny West.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 1:53 am

"isn't that dear?"
My gramma sounds so like that...RIP Granma Grace.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 7:37 am

BLUNCH!
hellsss yea..!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®