Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:09 pm

are, in my opinion, the perfect food. All kinds of good shit in an easy-to-eat little package.

Fiery- and other Portlanders, too- you should all get over to the Gotham Tavern (no matter how snooty you think it is). I just had one of the most amazing sandwiches I've had: Two THICK (like, half an inch) slices of home made bacon, some o that Beaufor dijon mustard, HP sauce (aka "brown sauce" from England), all on a toasted baguette.

UNREAL! And pretty cheap at $6.

Anyone had/made some good sandwiches lately?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:17 pm

No, but I love them. Please whatever you do, don't call 'em "sammies".
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:20 pm

Hammy Sammy!
Strawberry Banana Milkshake
and you can git it in chocolate too...
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 9:27 pm | Edited by: messageboardbandit

Croc Madame! is my fav. toasted bread, Ham, cheese (usually gruyere) and an egg on top. mmmm
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 9:49 pm

A couple weeks ago, I took 2 hot links sliced lengthwise and I grilled 'em in a pan along with some onions and peppers. I took a big-ass loaf of SF french, cut it in half, and put the links/onions/peppers on top. I topped the whole thing with a couple slices of provolone and stuck it in the broiler just long enouh for the cheese to melt and for the bread to get a little toasty. When it was all done, I poured a little spicy marinara on top. Ahhhh man, that was good.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 10:04 pm

Croque Monseur (sp?) are super good too. There's this bakery in Portland that absolutely kills with those things. Better even than anything I had in Paris.

Another favorite is meatloaf. Meatloaf, ketchup, bacon, and a little mayo (or aioli, if you's wanna get fancy) on some toasted bread is the shit!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Does your town/region have a "special" sandwich. Philly has the cheesesteak, NY corned beef, chicago hot dogs and Italian beef. My wife is from Springfield Il and they have the Horsehoe. It's basically any normal sandwich: ham, turkey, hamburger, etc. But they cut it in half, spread it apart and place french fries in the middle. Then they cover the whole thing in cheese sauce. Not Cheese Wiz, but a classic bechemel (sp?) sauce with cheese. An half order is called the Pony Shoe. That was always half the fun of being on tour, eating the local specialities.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Not really, in the NW. But everything "regional" seems to come with cream cheese, avocado, or salmon. It's kinda lame and boring.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 11:12 pm

I don't know if there's a "signature" bay area sandwich, but this seems to be one of very few areas where you can get any sandwich on either a sourdough roll or sliced sourdough. If you ask for that kinda bread in most of the US, they give you a blank stare...

Don't order a sandwich on rye here, though. Always a total letdown.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 11:39 pm

my neighborhood's signature sandwich is the Payne's chopped shoulder: tender bbq meat topped with bright yellow slaw on a hamburger bun, for around three bucks. mmm, mmm, good!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 11:39 pm | Edited by: andria

it's so good I tried to post it twice!
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 12:17 am

my neighborhood's signature sandwich is the Payne's chopped shoulder: tender bbq meat topped with bright yellow slaw on a hamburger bun, for around three bucks. mmm, mmm, good!

Yes! So good, it has the featured "desktop" spot on my laptop--I can see individual pieces of pepper in the sauce and pickles in the slaw!

Joe--are you talking about that bakery on Fremont? They have this kick ass onion & cheese tarte there too--I can't remember the name, but it is fantastic. The Croque Monsieur would be so easy to do if you owned a Forman grill or a Panini maker...which I don't.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 12:50 am

I'm talkin bout Ken's on NW 21st. What bakery on Fremont? That one up in the 40s? "Cause I've driven by, but never been in.

You could probably do a Croque in a toaster oven, or regular oven, for that matter. The secret is a really goo beschmael sauce, with some super stinky gruyere. You gotta try Ken's if you're ever up in that 'hood (which, really, there aren't a lot of reasons to head up there).
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 7:01 pm

In Texas, the BBQ beef brisket sandwich is probably the signature sandwich. Smoked brisket, sliced and slathered BBQ sauce with onions, pickles, and jalapenos between two slices of white bread. That shit is the jam!!! Behind the insanely cheap and good vietnamese sandwiches, my favorite sandwich in town.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Muffuletta!
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 8:22 pm

In Texas, the BBQ beef brisket sandwich is probably the signature sandwich. Smoked brisket, sliced and slathered BBQ sauce with onions, pickles, and jalapenos between two slices of white bread. That shit is the jam!!! Behind the insanely cheap and good vietnamese sandwiches, my favorite sandwich in town.

The TACO is fighting for first place! (Because what really IS a sammich?)
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 8:27 pm

Criollo is the place on Fremont...pretty good.

For something funny/sad, check out portlandfood.org and under Portland Restaurants, the dude from Apizza Scholls and Ken from the Hawthorne Ken's have an online tiff.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 8:52 pm

Mmmmmmm. Beef Brisket.

I wish I lived in the South sometimes. I'd kill for a cheap, reliable, close-to-home BBQ joint. You can just never be sure what you're gonna get out here.

I've never been to Criollo, I'll check it out (I'm house-sitting in that 'hood this weekend).
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:29 pm

Here's the deal: if the sandwich has meat, it needs tomato and lettuce. It should have a pickle, too.

Otherwise, it is totally FUCKED.

Over and out.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:33 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I've never been to Criollo, I'll check it out (I'm house-sitting in that 'hood this weekend).

Don't let the yuppies get you down. If there is anywhere in this world where a "yuppie" still truly exists, it is the Alameda neighborhood.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Here's the deal: if the sandwich has meat, it needs tomato and lettuce. It should have a pickle, too.

Otherwise, it is totally FUCKED.

If I ever see you eat a corned beef/ hot pastrami/ steak/ hot open faced roast beef or turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato I'll kick you in the teef.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:22 pm

If it is me, I take the lettuce and tomato gingerly off the sandwich (with a grimace) and only then can I eat it. The only time lettuce and tomatoes are eaten on a sandwich by me is when I am at an "organic cafe" type place where the vegetables actually taste like something or at home.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Pittsburgh: PRIMANTI BROTHER'S MOTHERFUCKER
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:29 pm

But the yuppies got fast internet connections, cable and TiVO!!

They'll never get me down.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Shit, maybe I am a yuppie.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 11:46 pm

Pittsburgh: PRIMANTI BROTHER'S MOTHERFUCKER

Hell yeah, Primanti's. French Fries and eggs on a sandwich! Genius!
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 12:02 am

Anyone in Portland ever get the "Muu Muu Burger" at Muu Muu's? Crusty baguette, burger, cheap-o American cheese, harissa aioli, and FRIES on the burger. At $5 (I've heard it may have gone in price since the last time I was there) it's a pretty solid deal.

Too bad Muu Muu's sucks so bad. I would eat that burger ALL the time if I could get it at a less "cool, but by 'cool' we actually mean full of douchebag idiots wearing too much cologne" type place.
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 2:04 am

primanti's is the shit--the slaw is totally perfect!!
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 6:13 pm

Will "foodies" in Portland ever get their shit together? That little hissy-fit on PortlandFood.org is embarassing.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®