Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Last great meal you cooked?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 2:25 pm

My roommate and I went to town and did some stuff from our Everyday Italian cookbook.

Menu:
Rolled flank steak stuffed with parmesan, basil, parsley, topped with a spicy carrot and celery marinara (this marinara was surprisingly great, but I think it's because my sister got me this really cool vegetable chopper for Christmas that can mince very well)

Stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with Italian bread crumbs, parmesan, and diced garlic)

Fettucine (for the leftover marinara)

Garlic breadsticks

If we would have had some mozzarella (the store closed before we finished cooking) this would have been NEXT LEVEL. But it was great! Yes ladies, I am single.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 4:45 pm

Standing rib roast (ryan did that part), Yorkshire pudding (me)

I can't remember if we had mashed potatoes too--I am sure we did with all that beef.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 4:56 pm

looooooooooove yorkshire pudding.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 4:59 pm

Isn't the most fab? I resisted it every Xmas as a kid because it didn't look like Jello Chocolate Pudding. What an idiot.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Yorkshire pudding (me)

I've never had that and I've always wondered what it is. Please explain.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:24 pm

Well, when you cook a roast of some kind (veal/beef) and all that juice drips out, you save some of that and pour it into the bottom of the roasting pan (sans rack) and add this mixture of eggs, flour and something else to it. Bake in the oven for a bit...and WHAM! It rises up and you have this rich, beef-infused bread like goodness. It is hard to explain. Google it.

A lot of recipes try to fancy it up by making little individual ones in cupcake tins, but this is unnecessary. I'll post a recipe if you'd like.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:31 pm

Well, when you cook a roast of some kind (veal/beef) and all that juice drips out, you save some of that and pour it into the bottom of the roasting pan (sans rack) and add this mixture of eggs, flour and something else to it. Bake in the oven for a bit...and WHAM! It rises up and you have this rich, beef-infused bread like goodness. It is hard to explain. Google it.

That sounds totally delicious, but I think it would be even more appetizing if they didn't insist on calling it "pudding." I suggest that they call it Patriot Bread.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 2:44 am

So's, it's like a gravy you can eat with a fork...with the more flour and some egg thrown in?
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 3:15 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

No, it's like bread. Kinda like a muffin, if you make it in the muffin pan. I can't imagine anybody not liking this, cept for vegetarians.
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 4:12 am

Patriot Bread!!!!

If that didn't smack of Desert Stormism, I'd agree. I tend to think of it more Fancy Foppy England...when I was googling different recipes over Xmas, I found a page that was "Basil Rathbone's Yorkshire Pudding Recipe".

Check it:
http://www.basilrathbone.net/potpourri/recipe.htm
Posted: Jan 14, 2006 4:28 am

My English grandma used to make yorkshire pudding... it was simply a vehicle for slopping up the little bits left on yr supper plate and super-yummy. almost as good as a slice of soft wheat bread that's grazed the bottom of the pan you cook the roast in.mmmm...bread-n-grizzle....
Posted: Jan 16, 2006 7:11 am

the last really fantastic meal i made was lasagna. used so much fresh mozz it was gooooood. also made a salad with my own raspberry vinaigrette and chevre cheese and walnuts. and i also made some rosemary romano garlic bread from scratch.
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 6:53 pm

The last great meal I cooked... hmmmm. I made a bad ass spread for new year's day- gotta start the year off right! I made pan fried pork chops- breaded in an herb crust & fried in bacon fat, of course!- some real-deal southern collard greens (chock full of bacon), mashed taters & some chicken gravy. It's simple stuff really but can't be beat when you're hungover as hell on new year's day.
I also rocked up an excellent batch of my famous guinness beef stew last week. All this rain & gloom out here in the NW has got me on a soup & stew kick these days...
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 7:13 pm

Made some jerk pork with black beans and rice and green peppers and onion. I was eating that shit for 4 days...fucking great.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 5:52 am

Halibut was on sale, down from $12 a lb to $7 so I got a pound of filet and used a nice beer batter with bay spice in the dry part and deep fried those fishies and did some taters after that and dipped it all in a nice gourmet tartar sauce, had a couple of Rainers and watched the Seahawks beat the Redskins. last Saturday..
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 5:57 am

Seahawks beat the Redskins
Fag. Smart and well prepared in good dishes, but...
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 6:00 am

Sorry, b. Y'all wanted it more. That's true.
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 6:48 am

creamy saag and chicken masala

i love me some indian food
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 2:08 pm

Thai green curry with tofu, red peppers, onions, jasmine rice, etc ... Even found a Thai supermarket which sells sweet basil and lime leaves, which really gives it the flavour (note proper spelling!) to savour (ditto!) ...

Mmmm, and I also had a chopped birds-eye chilli/nam pla/soy/spring onion/coriander (cilantro) topping/garnish, which gave me serious heat rushes up the back of my neck!!! Excellent!

Getting coconut milk that's thick enuff to do a really good Thai is difficult, tho', and requires some brand testing ...
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 3:52 pm

whats the best brand...
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 5:10 pm

Sorry, I was cooking while drunk'n'stoned! Erm, well, ther BETTER brands seem to be the ones that you can buy in 'ethnic' markets (i.e. Thai, Caribbean, Chinese, etc), rather than from the 'world foods' section of yer average hypermarket - basically, the more unintelligable the can, the better class o'gunk ... However, I've heard that those blocks of coconut that you can buy, then dissolve in water, are also v.v. good, cos you can control the consistency ...
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Cajun Meatloaf last night, shitheads!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 6:43 am

cook my ballz in ass gravy, lil bitch.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 5:22 pm

quesadilla...fuck you i'm in college
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®