Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:21 am

theres this shit at my store called Jacks salsa (out of Fenville Mi. with a high population of Mexicans... go figure..) and that shit is pretty damn tight.

other than that i dont know where to find good salsa.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 11:55 am

Do you have a Trader Joe's?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 4:46 pm

I think TJs is only in the West? I have always considered franchising one in Memphis and making a jillion.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:03 pm

We have one in Columbus, but I think we're one of the few exceptions. The parking lot is full of Hummers and Land Rovers. We just got a Whole Foods a few months ago, but I haven't been there yet. I'm intimidated.

Hey, is it just me, or do those t-shirts the TJ employees wear manage to make ANYONE look like a pothead hippie?
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:17 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Ours wear Hawaiian shirts. Totally Jimmy Buffet land---and they are slimy. The girls who work there always look miserable. I'd be miserable too...unless they kept slipping me those thai dumplings.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 5:48 pm

We gots Trader Joes out here in Massachusetts. I tried their Fresh salsa last week, it was good (spicey!) but I still prefer the "Authentic" non-chunky salsas. Original and verde, although I think the verde is supposed to be the mild one.

They also have a habernero and lime chunky salas that's pretty good.

I hate the Hawaiian shirts. Although there seems to be a lot of you punky boyz working at the one I go to. Last time I was there they were talking about how they were partyin' and pukin' over the weekend. Pretty funny.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 6:03 pm

Youse all should avoid the TJ salsa's and dips. Don't you remember the ecoli scare/recall a couple years back on that seven layer dip as well as the salsa?

TJ's is indeed for yuppie scum. I have too many friends who think they can do all their shopping there but always complain about not having anything in the house to eat because all they have is a bunch of salsas, nuts and frozen dumplings.

Come on, name some good salsa. I used to try out all the local tub stuff at my grocers, until, one time, I was chowing down the chips and salsa and had almost completed half the tub when I started noticing a funny flavor. It was like this minty aftertaste. I started to suspect some overdose of cilantro or something when my next chip emerged from the tub with an extra large chunk. It turned out to be a wad of spearmint gum. For some reason, this wasn't agreeable to my stomach and the salsa didn't taste the same coming up.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 6:37 pm

Posted: Jan 13, 2006 6:47 pm

We only buy salsa for the house from Aztec Willies @ Broadway & 15th--$4 for a huge drink cup full. Joe can sniff all he wants, but it is perfect chips salsa!!! Just chunky enough, but still lotsa liquid and HOT. Otherwise we make it. We have lotsa recipes.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 6:48 pm

As fas as great Mexican hot sauce (as opposed to "chips n salsa" salsa), La Bonita's salsa roja kicks!
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:32 pm

chicagoans: La Condesa has the best around. Go early in the day so it's still warm when you buy it.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 7:46 pm | Edited by: cthort

I can't stand how those California type Messican places serve whole pintos steeped in water. I used to walk by that place on B'way and scream "Why don't you refry your beans?!" Salsa was good , though. Is the Mermaid on Alberta still open, or is it some pangean fruity place now? That guy would give me Lucha Libre magazines for free.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:02 pm

I won't sniff at Aztec Willie's...

I've just never been able to see past the gaudy "Aztec" pyramid made of "copper" that's impossible to miss.

And I'm always wary of "buffet" type places. But! If you vouch for it, I may have to check it out. I spend enough time sitting at Pete's across the street...
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:18 pm

Is the Mermaid on Alberta still open

La Sirenita is open but it is just a tacqueria. A better one is just to the East of it: La Bonita.
Posted: Jan 13, 2006 8:23 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I won't sniff at Aztec Willie's...

Hey man, I only vouch for the SALSA, the red stuff they give for free with the chips (also good). Anything else is muy cuestionable...er "dudoso".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®