Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / slow cooker/crock pot
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 10:24 pm

are there any slow-cookers out there? i just bought one for $7 at home depot! it was an impulse buy i couldn't resist.

my mom used to make a pot roast with a packet of onion soup + water....yum. i also want to try beef stew.

anyone have any vegetarian ideas for this one?
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 10:29 pm

put your fave veggies in with some beer.......try different beers but a sierra nevada pale ale is ace.....try some beans in beer too......guinness is great with beans
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 10:39 pm

Man, I really want a crock pot...
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 10:41 pm

my mom advised me to get one when i told her what my gas bill was...
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 11:30 pm

i swear by crock pots. they are awesome, they do save ya money... andria, you gotta get one.

this is the kind of thing where you just throw everything in and the low n slow cook method takes care of it for you

slow cooking will make certain herbs and spices either more intense, or completely wrong. that's where you have to be careful and follow recipes. black pepper grows more intense in a crock pot; garlic (in whole clove form) mellows, for instance.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 11:50 pm

I've got some killer recipes for southern bbq ribs in the slow cooker- anyone can let me know if they're interested. The meat just falls right off the bone...

Crocks are the best for making a good soup or stew- veggie or otherwise. You just gotta throw all your broth & veggies in there & then give it a good 2-4 hours to soften up & mingle (longer if you're adding meat- or brown your meat in a pan before you add it). I would wait to throw any herbs in until the last hour so your flavor doesn't turn on you.
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 12:37 am

I have some great recipes. Tarragon Chicken is a good one. Let me know if you want it posted--it is really, really easy.

Ryan makes all his chicken stock in the crock pot lately, but may go back to the old way to get more bang for his buck. We have the biggest one, but when you are making stock, it comes up a little short.
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 1:57 am

Do slow cooker/crock pots use a lot of electricity like a toaster, microwave, or a space heater?

I'd really like to get one, but our apt. bldg. has cruddy wiring. If we ever use more than one of those afforemntioned devices at once (or sometimes only one), we blow a fuse.

Also, does anyone know how to SAFELY prevent us from blowing fuses like that?
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 2:50 am

Do slow cooker/crock pots use a lot of electricity like a toaster, microwave, or a space heater?

every owners manual for every crock pot i've ever owned sez NO
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 6:18 am

crock pots are the shit for making scallopped potatoes and ham!
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 6:30 am

lots of on line tips just google slow cook or crock pot and the local library has tons of cook books devoted to the subject.
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 3:23 pm

fierydrunk: pretty please post the tarragon chicken recipe. Thanks!
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 4:11 pm

I will do it later on today--check around 8PM EST!!!!

(soooo good--your house will smell delicious after 6-8 hours of slow cookin' chicken, wine and tarragon!)
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 4:20 pm

chicken...
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 4:21 pm

there is a cookbook I have been eyeing called Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/2004/fresh/
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 6:09 pm

Pssst. Here is the one that I got the Tarragon Chicken one from. It is separated by country. It has a fantastic Chicken n Dumplings recipe and some great Indian recipes too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580084893/qid=1136916580/sr=8-4/ref= pd_bbs_4/002-7658664-9131218?n=507846&s=books&v=glance
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 6:56 pm

I've got some killer recipes for southern bbq ribs in the slow cooker- anyone can let me know if they're interested. The meat just falls right off the bone...
yes please

I'll post 'em tonight once I get home to my secret recipe stash. I've also got a killer Guinness beef stew recipe that has to be started on the stovetop but finishes nicely in the crock.

I'm lookin forward to the tarragon chicken action! Mmmmm...
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 12:35 am

Here t'is!

TARRAGON CHICKEN (slow cooker style--A French recipe)

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 chicken, cut into serving pieces and skinned (or not!)
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 Tbs olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
6 springs tarragon
1 cup heavy cream or half & half

Combine the 3/4 cup flour and the salt in a ziploc. And the chicken, several pieces at a time and shake them to coat.

Heat a saute pan over med-high heat; add butter and oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, for 8/10 minutes, until browned on both sides. Take out and drain on paper towels then lay them down in bottom of the crock pot.

Put the saute pan back on med-high eat, add onion and 2 Tbs flour. Saute, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Gradually add the wine, stirring to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and cook, stirring frquently for 10/15 minutes, untilt he sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.

Pour the sauce over the chicken in the crock pot and lay 2 springs of tarragon on top. Cover and cook on low setting for 3 to 8 hours (I do it for 8--I like the meat falling off the bone). Pour in the cream and stir well. Cover and cook for 10/15 more minutes.

While the chicken finishes cooking, strip the leaves from the remaining sprigs of tarragon and chop coarsely. Remove and discard the tarragon sprigs from the slow cooker and stir in the fresh tarragon.

EAT THAT DELICIOUS FRENCH MESS!
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 12:39 am

this sounds amazing...joe & I are gonna make it on Saturday. Thanks for the recipe! we'll let ya know how it turns out.
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 1:03 am

Here t'is!

TARRAGON CHICKEN (slow cooker style--A French recipe

Motherfuckin sweet! Sounds delish- can't wait to try it!
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 1:06 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Guaranteed to please.

I leave a couple of pieces with skin on cos well, I likes even more flavor!
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 1:45 am

It's called a "sprig," mudshark.

HEE-HAWW!!!
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 2:34 am

I said 'sprig' the second time! What, you never misspell?
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 2:39 am

6 springs tarragon
lay 2 springs of tarragon
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 2:39 am

Only cuz I like you. :)
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 2:53 am

strip the leaves from the remaining sprigs of tarragon

!!!!
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 2:54 am

You're a sprig.
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 3:02 am

You're a spring.
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 3:04 am

Sprigger lover.
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 4:40 am

As promised- straight outta the ATL:

Slow-Cooker Barbeque Ribs

4 lbs. bone-in country-style pork ribs
2 tsp. salt, divided
1 medium onion chopped
1 C. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 C. apple butter
1 C. ketchup
1/2 C. lemon juice
1/2 C. orange juice
1 Tbs steak sauce (whichever is your fav)
1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

CUT ribs apart, if necessary, and trim; sprinkle 1 tsp. salt evenly over ribs, and set aside.
STIR together remaining 1 tsp. salt, chopped onion, and next 9 ingredients until blended. Pour half of mixture into a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place ribs in slow cooker;
pour remaining mixture over ribs.
COVER and cook at HIGH 6 to 7 hours.

The meat will be sliding off the bone so be ready to get all kinds of messy eatin 'em up!
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 5:34 am

A French recipe

Surrenders when you put the heat on, eh....
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 5:34 am

Anyone got a good pulled pork recipe for the crock pot that doesn't turn to total mush?
Posted: Jan 11, 2006 3:22 pm

crock pot spaghetti sauce is the way to go
let that shit marinade over night. look out

ground veal
hot italian sausage
ground sirloin
portabello mushrooms
garlic
onion
tomato puree
-that shit gets better with time. let it go 10-12 hours.
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 10:15 pm

so I'm gonna try to cook COCHINITA PIBIL (pork in orange and annatto marinade) this week. I've got a small serloin pork roast and the recipe says to marinade it before I bake it. I was just gonna throw it in the crock pot, do you think it's necessary to marinade if i'm gonna cook it over 5-6 hours?
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:22 pm

so has anyone seen those crock pot savers, it is a disposable insert that goes into the bottom of your crocl and keeps it from getting those oh so hard to get out stains
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:28 pm

No! But I wish I had before we first used it cos, damn, if it ain't all stained. I had no idea such a thing existed.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:29 pm

Fiery, that chicken was super good. Thanks!
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 8:38 pm

No problemo--I am craving it now. I need to try another recipe from there. The chicken and dumplings one is REALLY GOOD too.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 10:36 pm

so I'm gonna try to cook COCHINITA PIBIL (pork in orange and annatto marinade) this week. I've got a small serloin pork roast and the recipe says to marinade it before I bake it. I was just gonna throw it in the crock pot, do you think it's necessary to marinade if i'm gonna cook it over 5-6 hours?

first, you rule in my book bcause cochinita pibil is my favorite mexican dish.

i believe you should marinade it before sticking in the crock, because making it the normal way (in a giant banana leaf or wrapped in foil), you marinade it and slow cook it forever also. i believe the overnight marinade is an essential part of the process. its easy... prep the meat before bed. when you wake up, put in the crock pot. but aren't you then braising it rather than baking/roasting it long, low and slow? just a thought. i'm sure it will be fab either way... but take that step
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 3:08 am

I just came off 36 hours of slow-cookin': started w/ beef stew, then did an epic batch of pinto beans, and then the Pibil...

Next time I will definetly marinade it over night. This first time I had grandiose ideas of waking up and eating Mexican pork & beans for breakfast. (I did!) The meat was tender & falling apart, but wasn't fully saturated w/ the marinade.

The big challenge was the annatto seeds - I don't have a ready-made paste, I'm using the real seeds. One recipe said to grind them up in a molcajete and then crush in dried herbs, garlic and h2o. I've also heard of soaking them in water, then using the water. I might try this next time. The seeds just didn't want to grind up, it looked like I was just getting the red coating off of them....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®