Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Table Of Condiments That Periodically Go Bad
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 3:42 pm

I take umbrage with several of these. I mean, fuck, I can assure you I've eaten gravy that's older than 3 days and lived to type the tale.

http://backtable.org/~blade/fnord/condiments.html
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 7:40 pm

Can buttermilk go bad? How could it get any worse than it is at point of purchase? How would you know if it went bad?
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 8:22 pm

There's no fucking way I'd eat 4 month old TarTar sauce.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 8:32 pm

Q: Can buttermilk go bad?

A: Here's a simple and easy way to tell if buttermilk has gone bad. Take the carton out of the refrigerator. Look at the carton. If it says "buttermilk" on it, throw it out.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 8:37 pm

Does salt EVER go bad?? Pepper?

This chart gets more ridiculous the more I look at it.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 9:08 pm

I know that some salt never goes bad. Some chef friends of mine ate at this super fancy restaurant in California- the French Laundry- and they were served an entire SALT COURESE! Apparently, one of the salts they tried dated from the Jurassic age. No shit.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 4:01 pm

the 16 year old mayo didn't make any of us sick, it just tasted like ass.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 5:58 pm

oils- I have learned in my studies that oils, after time of exposure to light/heat/air, changes its chemical structure, and is no longer heathly, but harmful. So, it would be like eating burned food (carcinogens) and possibly cause cancerous mutations in cells.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:08 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

I know that some salt never goes bad. Some chef friends of mine ate at this super fancy restaurant in California- the French Laundry- and they were served an entire SALT COURESE!

That place wins "best restaurant in N. Calif" just about every year and they specialize in kooky stuff like that. It's all a big ruse to get pretentious rich people to spend too much money on small portions of food by making bizarre claims about the food's origins. Whoever came up with that racket is a genius. I need to devise way to prey on the gullibility of rich jerks, too!

Hot Sauce definitely goes bad, especially after you open a bottle. I used to have a collection of about 70 Mexican hot sauces that I'd picked up at little groceries in Baja for about 50 cents each. I'd open a bottle and use it and sometimes it'd get lost in the shuffle and I wouldn't use it again for a long timer. When I finally revisited those forgotten hot sauces a couple years later, they tasted like I was licking the inside of a musty closet. Not pleasant at all. Once a bottle's opened, you have about a year to use it, I'd reckon.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:07 pm

oils- I have learned in my studies that oils, after time of exposure to light/heat/air, changes its chemical structure, and is no longer heathly, but harmful. So, it would be like eating burned food (carcinogens) and possibly cause cancerous mutations in cells.

Not only is the aforementioned absolutely true, BUT I learned (because one of my roommates had to get a food handling license from the State of NY when he was opening his restaurant) that there ARE regulations about how long salad bar items can sit there, how long pizza can sit there, etc. at fast food places --- its all based on safety and health.. and while you may live to type the tale, if you have any kind of compromised conditions ranging from auto-immune disorders or you just have a weak tummy, all that shit CAN make you sick. its not a guarantee, its a warning.

Me, i don't like puking, so i err on the side of caution
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 10:15 pm

I had quite the condiment collection a few years back, leaving little room for BEER. One night, the woman I was dating at the time, challenged me on each and every jar and bottle with "who was I dating at the time of purchase?" Carbon 14 meets The Dating Game. I threw most everything out and started fresh.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®