Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Breakfast in places other than Memphis!
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 3:17 pm

Yesterday I went to the Blue Danube for breakfast and got the Huevos Rancheros. Eggs over easy. Hash browns soaked in butter. All kindsa veggies, cheese, and refried beans. Even the tortilla was yummy. They have Melinda's hot sauce, which is perfectly acceptable. YUM! I'm trying to keep myself from going again this morning.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 4:49 pm

Genie's in Portland.

Consistently great, they server breakfast all day, they have a liquor license and any tips many be going to support ME.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 4:51 pm

Liquor and pancakes, you say?
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:58 pm

Oh yeah. It is pretty much heaven. Eggs benedict and huevos rancheros too.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 6:15 pm

Surry's here. Get chef Paul Rotzz to come pour vodka into your satsuma juice. Great way to kick off a drunken afternoon.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 6:22 pm

Lula - Have you ever been to Rube's up on Indianola? Standard breakfast food but quick and cheap and pretty decent. Haven't been back though since the smoking ban went into effect (actually well before that), but you used to be able to smoke up a storm in there, if that's you cup of tea. I used to frequent Nancy's whenever I was awake before 6am a while back in order to eat with the hardcore early morning regulars.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 8:59 pm

I ain't been to Genie's in a while... I used to get that Tasso ham benedict- so smokey and spicy and good.

Junior's, just down the street, consistantly makes the best eggs in town. I can't tell you how many times I've ordered eggs "over-easy" and had them come fried hard or without the whites set. Junior's is perfect every time.

Beth's in Seattle is reliable- open 24 hrs, and they got 12 EGG ommelettes, if you can dig it.

Bijou Café in Portland is good if you're not paying- it's a little steep. But there's nothin' like oyster and bacon hash in the morning to get rid of that hangover.

Gotham Tavern in Portland has a pretty solid fried-egg sandwhich, and they turn out some mean chilaquilies. Their bloody mary is second-to-none.

In Eugene, at a place called Braille's, you can get a bacon waffle. Yeah- a waffle with big chunks of real bacon swirled into the batter.

Man, I guess I really love breakfast.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 9:06 pm

L&Ms Italian Kitchen and Salumaria in oxford ms sat & sun brunch-
10am-2pm

pan di mie french toast and homemade italian sausage form their salumaria

grilled asparagus with fried egg, shaved parmigiano reggiano , and truffle oil

in-house cured prosciutto, goat cheese omellette

thick sliced bacon egg and fresh mozz panini / etc/

fresh peach bellinis, fresh mimosas, liter san pelligrino, excellent italian imported wine selection, bloody marys

and other yummy stuff
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 9:09 pm

I gotta gits to Oxford.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 9:11 pm

Bijou Café in Portland

Gone wayyyyy downhill. Last time we went, they served our sausage RAW inside.

Have you had La Bonita's breakfast? Also Simpatica is doing a sunday brunch now.

L&M's sounds fantastic!
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 9:20 pm

I like to La Bonita's breakfast in the afternoon- so rad that serve it all day, and super cheap too.

I've been hearing nothing but good things about Simpatica's brunch, which, if it's anywhere near the quality of their meats and other endeavors, should be delicious. I'm eager.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 2:12 pm

Lula - Have you ever been to Rube's up on Indianola?

Not for years. I'm sure it's completely different now that the regulars can't smoke. In fact, they may not even be able to make it, which sucks for many businesses in the area. Nancy's is awesome! The line is always out the door on the weekends, and I'm not that patient. I love Jack and Benny's, too. They have an awesome avocado and swiss omelet with salsa and sour cream.

they have a liquor license

I love places that serve breakfast and liquor all day long.

On another note, I heard the entire state of Ohio may be smoke free soon. I'm glad this didn't happen when I was younger and angrier.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:05 pm

Is Scramblers a chain in other cities? It's some damn fine stuff...
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:26 pm

Buffalo= the spot is Nick's. The order is the "Country Breakfast": two eggs, home fries, choice of meat (sausage, bacon, or ham), regular toast, and two french toast or two pancakes, and coffee. The damage= $5 (plus tip). Personal fave= homefries extra crispy, rye toast with mixed berry jam, bacon (they give you three strips), french toast, and eggs over easy. Cheap and delicious.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:39 pm

homefries extra crispy

Oh, you gotta get em extra crispy. Nothing I hate more than some half cooked home fries.
Posted: Jan 20, 2006 7:14 pm

French toast at Burger King!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm

I still can't stop ordering the Barnyard Buster at TeeJaye's - even though it's got all that sausage gravy on it! Homefries, eggs over easy, biscuits and gravy. Yum.

The Dube has some good breakfast, too- I had a cheese omelet there a few weeks ago.

Have you guys been to Jack & Benny's? We used to go there when we lived on campus & we could just walk. It gets crowded on weekend mornings though of course- so if you're hungry, go early... I have since stopped eating meat pretty much but when I did, they had some kickass Chorizo - because they made it themselves! It was super hot, perfect for a hangover.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:33 am

my favorite breakfasts ever were at the maple tree in oak park, il. good food, cheap, and as long as you got one of the old lady waitresses you're coffee cup was never more than half empty.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:51 am

The Breakfast Klub in Houston. Awesome southern breakfast!

In the Chicago area, maybe Skokie there's this place called the Original Pancake House(?) where they serve a German pancake, which is this enormous pancake with sides and you squeezed a wedge a lemon onto the normal syrup and butter mix. Delish.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:57 am

You know what place was really "fun" but also good as hell? The Friendly Toast in Portsmouth, NH.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:46 am

i gotta see if La Rosita is still happening....when i wake up
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®