Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Honey Roasted Peanuts
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:11 pm

What's the verdict on these? I think a lot of nut aficionados scoff at them.

Personally, I love 'em. Just on their own though, they suck with beer.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:14 pm

you should've raided my car when i was in new orleans.

I had honey roasted, spanish, cajun mix, peanut brittle, sugared pecans, pistachios, and more from the peanut shop for my dad's christmas present...
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 12:14 am

i have been known to eat honey roasted cashews until i make myself sick. it was a trait i shared with my dog actually.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 1:13 am

i made candied pecans last year---wonderful,easy treat.

but how do you make them where they aren't shiny, but sort of "matte"-looking????
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 1:43 am

"Ahh.. the last peanut, overflowing with the oil and salt of its departed brothers. Honey roasted peanuts. Ingredients: salt, artificial honey roasting agent, fresh peanut sweepings."
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:39 am

Great thing about New York... there's loads of street vendors with candied peanuts, cashews, coconut chunks, and another variety that I don't remember. About two bones a bag and freshly candied and delicious.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:41 am

Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:42 am

Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:49 am

Emerald Nuts is a really great brand, by the way. They have some kinda sweet walnuts that are great.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:52 am

Is that nuts store still on Main with the old Peanut man clicking the window/nickel with his cane?

Anyway, does anyone know what I talking about with the non-shiny candied pecans? They have that dusty look like with honey peanuts--I wanna make those. GREAT on salads with stilton cheese and apples, with a nice pomegranate vinaigrette.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:31 am

K -- that's the photos I just posted, of the downtown Peanut Shop. there's also a location on Summer Ave near Pop Tunes... they have the candied pecans, but I dunno the recipe.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 3:46 pm

you can make a simple candied pecan (or cashew or whatever)

in a skillet to taste:
butter (more the better in my opinion)
sugar
salt
then stir the nuts continuously until they are well coated.
don't over cook or the sugar will burn

spread on wax paper to dry.

PEANUT SHOP! I'm gonna miss that when I leave the downtown job! sniff
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:49 pm

Honey roasted peanuts are great, especially great are the new Honey Roasted Payday bars...those fucking things are awesome.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 6:48 pm

Try making some GORP with honey roasted peanuts. Man, that's good stuff.
Posted: Jan 7, 2006 11:15 pm

/i made candied pecans last year---wonderful,easy treat.

but how do you make them where they aren't shiny, but sort of "matte"-looking????/

shit simple and very tasty...

Candied Pecans (Makes 2 cups)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon cold water
1 egg white
1 pound large pecan halves
1 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Beat water and egg white until frothy. Mix well with pecans. Combine sugar cinnamon and salt. Mix well with pecans. Spread on a cookie sheet. Bake at 225 degrees for one hour. Stir occasionally.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®