Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / New Vietnamese place on Poplar where Star Search Video used to be?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:09 pm

Jay said he went there opening day and it was horrible, but eating at a restaurant on opening day is bound to be strange.

anyone else try? ihaven't been able deny my my thanh homies.

haven't tried the new Boogies/Middle Eastern line up, either.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 9:54 pm

It was okay- Big ass dining room, the menu was really light on the veg items but the do have the venerable 'Avacado shake'

The 'namese market its a bit crowded, the S. Lee has the best veg stuffs, Hoa Bien gets an honarable mention for the most slammin buffet in the city limits. I also like My Thanh, their groceries are rock bottom cheap. There are a couple more out there, all on Cleveland none in downtown.

New Boogies (its something like Al Rayani, new sign put up right next to Boogies sign.) Makes a nice falafel, dunno bout the meat dishes. I talked to the one of the owners, they just moved here from Michigan, broken english, we talked about the weather, nice folks.

Mayuri @ quince and kirby has the most compelling indian buffet period.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 10:58 pm

Mayuri used to be in the admiral benbow on union, was still open while they were tearing down the hotel! that was fun. buffet was great and i'm sure has only improved with less concrete dust & petrol fumes in the air.

why no thai in midtown?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:15 pm

what about that thai place in that house on cooper?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:44 pm

yeah, i always forget about that one. i miss the royal dragon.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:55 pm | Edited by: TheMalevolentOne

what about that thai place in that house on cooper?

It's notch below the Thai place downtown, and that place is bland.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:00 am

No Viet downtown, what I would give to have Hoa Bien take the place of that nasty Wangs buffet on Main behind my office, our alley smells worse than the east side of Canal St NY in the summer.

Swadiddi at Union btw Main and second, as well as Bhan Thai on Peabody are the same folks, Bhan is the top thai in town IMHO, go there for lunch when its warm, they have an incredible deck with a one of a kind view of Crump Stadium. Jasmine on Cooper has some probs, I think its since they aren't really thai, oops.

Its time for somebody to step up and put some quality asian stuffs in the Evergreen/Snowden/Rhodes blocks, Dino's is really stale, but Cleveland will have to do for now.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 3:30 am

The Godamn Royal Dragon was heaven. Then it was a shitty soul food joint for a spell but the summer rolls at the dragon were an anomaly. I can't find them anywhere since Royal Dragon shut down. Cute wait staff too.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 3:42 am

I've been hearingthat the best Thai is Chao Praya near hickory ridge mall... I haven't checked out yet, but I will soon.

I really like the place downtown, but its not cheap. I do miss the Royal Dragon. The tom yam soup was unbelievable.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:11 pm

TOM YAM SOUP! that's what i'm talking about!

Could go for some of that on such a cold, snowy day.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:25 pm

we need a group outting to the Korean place, Asiana Garden, but we have to take Hemants dad. That lady hooked Hemant and I up, but she really hooks Hemants dad up. Seafood rice pancake here I come!
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:26 pm

Seafood rice pancake

Damn, really? PLease take me.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:35 pm

it is some of the most amazing food ever at this place, but you will have to come to Memphis
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:42 pm

but you will have to come to Memphis
Which you and sixteene should do soon...
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:44 pm

No shit. Ever since our food tour of New Orleans got cancelled cuzza that stupid storm and our friends lost their houses and all...
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:03 pm

You guys should have detoured to Memphis, you would have gotten to see many of the same people, and although we may not have that creole food, we do have some good places.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:04 pm

We had tix on Jet Blue and they don't go to Memphis. FUCKERS!!!
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:05 pm

Doh!!!!!!!!! Too bad.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:17 pm

Don't fly in to Memphis. Too expensive. Fly into Nashville, rent a car, and drive in by way of I-40. 'Bout 2-3 hours, depending on how fast you drive.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:52 pm

Fly into Nashville, rent a car, and drive in by way of I-40. 'Bout 2-3 hours, depending on how fast you drive.

same goes for little rock, with the added bonus of getting to drive across the river
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:56 pm

I dunno, that is a cool sight coming in.
But going over the Tennessee River bridge is pretty fun, too. And you have the Adult-magazine mall/lot lizard hook-up/and truck stop at exit 68. I always thought thy should move east a mile, and be at exit 69.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 6:13 pm

Asiana Garden is great! cook your own noodles & meat at the table. tons of different pickled things to eat.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 7:39 pm

next time let the lady cook for you, there is this spicy soup she made with tofu and these rice noodles, mmmmmm
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 7:44 pm

I was a Larb fan at the Royal Dragon. Im a "spicy" food nut and I had some of the hotest food there I have ever had in my life. Where is Asiana Garden eric o?
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 8:09 pm

Asiana Gardens is catty corner from Apple Tree Center (Mount Moriah and Ridgeway)... in a shopping center that is mostly Korean stores now. Our family decided to have christmas eve dinner there from now on.

By the way, friday is the korean barbque lunch special...mmmm!
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 8:10 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

TOM YAM SOUP! that's what i'm talking about!

You crazings! That is Tom YUM soup! Melikes Tom Kha Soup.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®