Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Ethiopian Food
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:20 pm

Man...for those folks who havent been to Abysssinia on Poplar before...check it out. I guess its been open a couple of years now but last I checkd they have a lunch buffet. I usually get the combo platter which has chicken, lamb, beets, green beans(or a lentil dish) and usually some ethiopian type of cottage cheese. Typically you dont use silverware with Ethiopian Cuisine, you pick eberything up with this sort of spongy bread called Injera. They also place the food on top of the Injera which soaks up all the juices etc.. Some good eatin for sure!! Nice folks too.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:23 pm

They have food in Ethiopia?

Another joke I never get tired of!
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:32 pm

Where on Poplar and when did that open?
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:42 pm

Its on the ground floor of a really old office building right next to the Poplar Lounge...well the new Poplar Lounge that used to be The Patio some years ago. Almost at Poplar and Collins on the south side of the street. Its been open a couple of years.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:46 pm

Its been open for about 5 years...and I agree. Its terrific. Its between E. Parkway and the Union overpass... I think Alicia is the closest street. Their coffee is amazing too.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:49 pm

north side of the street, ya'll
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:55 pm

My baad...nauf nauf side....nauf nauf side.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:58 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I remember when they opened it; it was right around when I left. Well hopefully it stays open--I want the good stuff to remain for my return (if that is how things end up going down!)
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 6:59 pm

I went there once.....stood in a long line with my bowl on my head and then..... they ran out of food......

I'll get me coat..........
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:22 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Ethiopian/Eritrean food rules. There's a stretch of Telegraph Ave. in Oakland/Berkeley with about 10 different places. Everything is swimming in butter..ahh yeah. And you get to eat with your hands. I'm a lefty, so I eat with my left-hand, which must make the Ethiopians crazy, 'cuz that's the hand you use for "sanitary purposes." Best items are that red lentil thing, the yellow split pea thing, and the spicy beef cube thing.

Injera bread is like the hide of an animal that was covered with Nerf.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:32 pm

There was this place on Telegraph near 40th when I lived there called Cafe Eritrea...they made this thing called an "Injerito": Injera wrapped red lentil stuff. It was amazing.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:36 pm

There was this place on Telegraph near 40th when I lived there called Cafe Eritrea...

That place is still there. It is great, but Asmara (51st and Telegraph) is THE joint. And man, are those Ethiopians/Eritreans good-looking people or what?!
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:38 pm

Asmara was good, but I lived across the street from Eritrea, so they got my biz. Even though one of the dudes backed over me with his SUV when I was on a bike...they are good looking but they kinda freak me out a little!
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:56 pm

they are good looking but they kinda freak me out a little!

Totally! They seem to move in complete silence like a stalking cat or something. And those eyes seem to see into my very soul.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:57 pm

they are good looking but they kinda freak me out a little!

Totally! They seem to move in complete silence like a stalking cat or something. And those eyes seem to see into my very soul.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:58 pm

Have you ever been in one of the restaurants when they burn the coffee beans and then the "woman" will go from table to table flicking the burnt smell toward your table? This happened here at Queen of Sheba one night and well, it was scary.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 8:08 pm

Have you ever been in one of the restaurants when they burn the coffee beans and then the "woman" will go from table to table flicking the burnt smell toward your table? This happened here at Queen of Sheba one night and well, it was scary.

They don't do that at any of the places I've eaten in Oakland or SF. It's probably against some sort of CA air-quality staute.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Best items are that red lentil thing, the yellow split pea thing, and the spicy beef cube thing.

Injera bread is like the hide of an animal that was covered with Nerf.

I just had dinner at the Blue Nile in Columbus. It was super yummy, but that bread gets to be way too much after a while. the red lentil and yellow split peas are my favorites from this place, and the chickpea mush.

I think it's weird how Ethiopians will come in and order a huge plate, and devour everything in like 3 minutes! Bread on the side, bread on the plate, everything! We left the bread on the plate and half the bread on the side...
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 7:17 pm

but that bread gets to be way too much after a while. the red lentil

I love the bread on the bottom of the platter. I save that for last It's completely saturated with all of that seasoned butter. I could see how that might be hard to take for someone with a less-than-cast-iron stomach.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 8:16 pm

I love the bread on the bottom of the platter.

It crossed my mind that it was probably the best part, but by the time that happened I was completely stuffed. That bread has ridiculous expanding action.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm

IIt does expand like mad to the point where you might as well be rolling out of the restaurant.

I do adore the soaked injera though--esp with red lentils or mushroom stew.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 6:34 pm

The Blue Nile in Columbus - excellent. This place was actually on Morgan Spurlock's show- is that still on? -30 Days- it was on FX for a while. He and his girlfriend came to live in Columbus to see if they could survive on minimum wage... Their big celebration night was at the Blue Nile.
Posted: Jan 26, 2006 3:46 am

They have food in Ethiopia?
Yes, they just can't afford to pay for it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®