Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:53 pm

OK Colin & Andria...it deserves its own locale...

Plus, I wanna know what that nice greenish white sauce they give you with your naan at the Indian places is...and how to make it.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:00 pm

I never had them give me sauce with my Naan. The do bring out 2 chutneys wtih the Pappadum(sort of a crispy spicy wafer deal) at the begining of the meal at India Palace. There is a brown one that is a tamarind chutney and the other one is sort of a mint/cilantro one. Im sure all Indian places are different though...esp. out on the west coast. Im a big fan of dipping my naan either in the tamarind chutney or in my raita. I love me some raita!!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:03 pm

Last night I ate there and had vegetable pakoras, raita, chicken tika masala and garlic naan. Always good as hell....my wife will only eat Indian food when its cold outside and its been like 65 deg. the past few days. Neeless to say i got it to go for myself.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:28 pm

I could be totally wrong about this, but at Mayouri (sp?) they give you a white chutney, and it has more south indian influenced food unlike India Palace, so I might look for south indian foods. (i think it might be coconut based, just a guess)
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:34 pm

Fiery-

Whats up with the shitty Indian food in this town? Am I missing some awesome hidden gem somewhere?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:38 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

NO DOUBT! Can you believe all this great Indian chit chat is coming from the Memphians? I'm telling you Memphis has it up on us out here in the Indian dept.

***However, we do have India Food 4 Less on Hawthorne...cheap and good paneer and papadum for "cooking".***
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:39 pm

I think the one I am referring to is the one on the table, the mint/cilantro and lute is right, there may be coconut in it too, cos it has a sweetness and it is pale green.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:40 pm

Good Indain in NY as well. My vote is for Taj Mahal on Indian row. Cheap & good eats. I love the spicy green stuff as well but do not know the name....
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:46 pm

The only time I had good Indian food was in NYC - some restaurant with about a million sets of christmas lights. There was something shiney taped to just about every surface in the place. Awesome atmosphere despite it being the size of a shoebox.

Anyone got a good, easy Indian recipe?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:47 pm

Yeah, put a skewer through my boss and roast him alive.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:48 pm

That's EVERY Indain place here in NYC. Trust me, the lights get old quick. I think Taj Mahal took 'em down cause it was just overkill after awhile. Thank god....
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:50 pm

Frybread with deer chilli.

Oh...
"India" Indian...
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:58 pm

Bombay House on Gtown parkway is really really good.....it is in a souless part of town in the same shopping center as the Kroger.....put all of that aside and go get you some.

Now if you can make to Manchester England there is the Curry Mile....at least 40 Indian restaurants on one street.....I've had the best Indian food I ever had there.....of course I was drunk but I do remember it being really good
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:00 pm

The besst thing about the Indian places in NY is that they're all so desperate for business that they'll let you bring in your own booze AND give you a free glass of wine.

"Ethnic" food in Portland sucks. I'm pissed.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:02 pm

Except for Outer SE Portland and West Suburban Portland Mexican...which rules. That is ethnic, right?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:03 pm

In Portland, I went to this slop Indian place just cos it was cheaper than some...then I saw a rat running out one day. Running OUT.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:07 pm

Yeah, I 'spose.

There's just nothing close-in, though. I did find this little hole-in-the-wall Indian lunch place downtown called Ghandi's. It's just ok, but pretty fuckin' cheap. And that Taste of India cart is also good for how cheap it is. But I've yet to be blown away by any Indian place here.

Sorta the same goes for Thai, it's all pretty boring. Have you been to that Pok Pok place? That's 'sposed to be pretty good.

And Mexican. La Serenita on Alberta is the only good, cheap, close-in spot. I also go to El Burrito Loco on N. Portland Blvd., mostly 'cause it's super cheap/fast/big portions. The quality is nowhere near great, though.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:11 pm

OMG! How you can eat somwhere for under $800 dollars is BEYOND me. I mean, HELLO!!!GROSS!!! you have to ask yourself, "are these people really capable of handling something that's going to go in my mouth??" Ask yourself that and $800 dollars doesn't seem so much now does it?

BUY MY PERFUME!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:12 pm

Not to get too far off track but La Sirenita is muy overatedo.

Taste of India is good enough for the cheapness, but nothing has the FLAVOR Indian food needs. It is all so damn bland here.

Pok Pok is supposed to slay--I'm there. I like Chaba Thai though. I am honestly not a huge Thai fan at this point...it is like crappy beer in Chicago, ON EVERY CORNER.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:19 pm

OOPS!- I meant to say "La Bonita"

My roommies try to insist La Sirenita is the way to go, but Bonita is WAAAYYYYY better.

Yeah, that's just the thing: everyone seems to think they get away with
boring food if it's just really cheap. Which, y'kow, cheap food is great and all, and if I'm downtown and only got 5 bucks I'll totally hit the Indian cart 'cause I won't have to eat for 5 days afterward. But it's FUCKING BORING! Cheap doesn't automatically=good.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:24 pm

My roommies try to insist La Sirenita is the way to go, but Bonita is WAAAYYYYY better.

You got it, brother.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:32 pm

The only time I had good Indian food was in NYC - some restaurant with about a million sets of christmas lights. There was something shiney taped to just about every surface in the place. Awesome atmosphere despite it being the size of a shoebox.

I've had some great indian in new york, yum; and I have heard some of the best indian places are in London, unfortunately they were all closed when I was there.

Hemants sister was telling me of there kind of ready made, just add water kind of thing, boxes that many of the Indian students get to eat, and are very good. I don't think anything Indian is going to be easy. I think it takes marinating over night and crazy spices.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:37 pm

Hemants sister was telling me of there kind of ready made, just add water kind of thing, boxes that many of the Indian students get to eat,

I wonder if these are Tasty Bites? You can get those here.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:52 pm

I don't think anything Indian is going to be easy. I think it takes marinating over night and crazy spices.

True dat. You can make good food at home that's "sorta Indian," but it's nearly impossible to get it to taste like it came from an Indian restaurant. This is mainly 'cuz Indian restaurants cook with homemade clarified butter (ghee), which most novices aren't gonna bother with. Ghee has a lot to do with that "Indian" flavor.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:57 pm

Ghee is so easy though...people should bother! They sell ghee at India Food 4 Less but I can't get why you'd wanna buy something like that.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:58 pm

whoa! I was away from the Goner board for an HOUR and there's 23 comments on Indian food?!?! good lord! I'm not gonna be able to sleep or shower ever again!

yep 6th street in noo yawk is the place to eat indian food...
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:05 pm

yep 6th street in noo yawk is the place to eat indian food...

Yep, or on and around University Ave. in Berkeley, CA. There is easily 50 Indian restaurants within a 2-mile radius. When in town, check out VIK's Chaat House on Allston, near the University Exit off I-80. It's a huge Indian snack bar where they sell all of the street food you'd get in India for cheap. Get a dhosa, they're about the size of an armadillo.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:06 pm

can you get biryani in memphis? I had really good prawn (shrimp) stuff in london in april... it was really complex like a gumbo and it came in its own clay pot.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:42 pm | Edited by: elle

Bombay House on Gtown parkway is really really good.....

i concur. i used to eat there a lot when i worked out in the soulsucking part of town. i sometimes hit the india palace buffet cuz i can walk there and roll my fatass home once finished. garlic naan and vegetable korma. sometimes get that tandoori chicken. mmmmmmhmmm.

there is this really great store where you can buy almost anything related to indian food over by the old mall of memphis. they have everything from vegetables to spices to cookware. it's fucking terrific and if you're really hankering to cook your own indian food, it's the only way to go. i've made some chicken jalfrezi before and some potato/vegetarian curry. i would like to be able to make my own paneer though. that shit rules. maybe try a vegetable korma with it in there. mmmmm.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:47 pm

can you get biryani in memphis?

You should be able to get Biryani at any Indian restaurant anywhere. It's a staple. The only problem is, if you go to 10 different Indian places, you're likely to get 10 different things using that name. I order that dish with chicken and shrimp pretty regularly at the place I like in Berkeley and it is nowhere near gumbo-esque. It's more like fried yellow rice with nuts and weirdo spices. I've also had it more soup-like (kinda Gumbo-ish) and it was then spooned over rice. And I've had it where it was sort of a cross between those 2 things. It's a crapshoot everytime you order it in a new place. It's usually good, but it's never what you think it'll be.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 12:02 am

maybe i'm not thinking of the right thing? it's a specialty of some coastal region... very dark and soupy and complex, not yellow, no nuts, heavy on bay leaves and tamarand, i think. you put just a lil rice in the bottom of the bowl...
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 7:38 pm

i think i've literally eaten at every indian place in nyc on 6th. i used to go to taj mahal about once a week for a $5.00 lunch.

when i was working in/near the garment district there was a vegetarian indian buffet that was pretty good. it's now closed.

my wife is making noise about making indian food at home which seems silly because there's a great indian buffet about 20 minutes from us. best indian i've ever had & cheap.

preferred dishes -- chana masala (chickpeas & yummy sauce/spices) & yellow dal (dal tadka, etc).
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 8:37 pm

It AMAZES me how cheap indian food is in NYC...it doesn't make sense. I don't see how they pay their rent. Balucci's near E. Village was teriffic and I think Mary and I ate there several times for under $10 total. On the other hand, our last trip to India Palace cost over $20 for the same amount of food.

That place on Highland (Rucci's) is worth a try. Its not very consistent: at its worst its comparable to India Palace (which is still good), but other times is was fucking amazing.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 8:39 pm

There are only 3 kitchens in the block that ALL the restaurants use. That's why they are all on the same block.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 1:43 pm

ok, I'm sorry but IMHO, 6th street is not the best Indian in NYC. It's about equal to India Palace on Evergreen - which isn't that good. Salamm Bombay on Greenwich Street is the shitz - it's a more expensive upscale joint, but you can taste the difference, and everyone I've ever taken there has been blown away. Everything there has layered flavors, if that makes any sense at all.

I've literally taken people there that hate Indian and converted them. I always thought 6th street was touristy and cheap. I used to work on 10th, so I got my fill of it.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 2:34 pm

Anyone got a good, easy Indian recipe

There's a line of cooking sauces made by Patak, they have curries and tandoori, chutneys, etc. They always some sort of recipe on the labels. I'll make curry or Tandoori when I feel like it. Also, Chole (sp?) is real easy to make. It's garbonzo beans with tomatoes and onions and ghee. You can find packages of Chole seasoning in Indain grocerie or specialty food markets. I can't remember what that white/green sauce that is served with naan is called. It's basically yogurt with cilantro, mint and chile.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 2:58 pm

buy any Julie Sahni cookbook. great recipes, fairly simple and quite tasty.

Classic Indian Cooking
and Vegetarian are her two best selling and at-home-cook-friendly volumes

and in NYC, take the damn subway over to Jackson Heights instead of staying in the E Village!
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 4:15 pm

i figured out how to make saag and masala...working on an easy way to do kurma
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 4:53 pm

I'm coming in late - but we ate Indian in London and it was unlike anything I had ever eaten in the states. And I already liked Indian. But this was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I'm sure you can get bad stuff there too and this is a generalization but I bet the bad stuff there is like the good stuff here.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Good Indian in Amsterdam too...
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 6:26 pm

i gotta say, i don't know what they put in this stuff, but the lamb meatballs at india palace have been unbelievable lately. i've always liked them, but the last two times i ate there i couldn't stop shoveling them in. thought it was just me, but got two corroboating (sp?) stories to back it up. It's the only thing that has stopped my unbelievable addiction to the eggs with fish sauce over rice thing at the vietnamese joints. pork chop underneath works great too, and i've always known this, but lately i just can't stop eating that shit.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 4:55 am

6th street is suppossed to be cheap! London has the best tho....
I have heard of this Jackson Heights Buffet place. Never had time tho....
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 8:18 am

if you think London's Indian food is great.... go to Oxford. it RULES, and curries are rated on a scale from 1-10. i DARE anyone to go above 7
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 3:55 pm

6th street is good for what it is...cheap. It's not the best Indian food, but I don't think I ever had anything that was awful either.

Curry and Curry on E. 33rd is really cheap and really good for some of their stuff...It's closer to one of those cab driver stop off places...not really a sit down dining place. Their "fried dahl" is one of the hottest things I have ever had at and Indian place.

Queens / non-Jackson Heights Indian that rates with me would be Roti-Boti on 21st and Astoria blvd. and 5 Star Punjabi under the 59th street bridge. I think both may be open 24 hours. Roti-Boti may be Pakistani actually...still in the same realm. Killer behari kebabs. If you find yourself working around Silvercup Studios or in LIC then 5 Star is just a few blocks away.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 4:17 pm

Curry and Curry = grossssssss.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 6:04 pm

Andria, you're right on the biriyani ... It's actually two dishes in one - a rice with meat/veg, plus a separate container of thick sauce ... S'great ...

The greenish yogurt sauce served with your naan bread is usually just refered to as 'mint sauce', not sure why, as most places just make it out of tangy natural yogurt and corainder (cilantro) ...

Anglo-Asian style 'Curry' is great (check out www.thecurryclub.org.uk), but bears little/no resemblance to real Indian food, having been invented in the UK during the 20th century, by some of the first immigrants, based on one or two basic sauces, and whatever spices they could find.

You curry something, it's not a dish, per se. Saying "I'm going for a curry" is like saying "I'm going for BBQ", it's the tip of the iceberg, as it were ...

I've eaten Anglo-Asian (sometimes referred to as 'one pot curry') style dishes all over Europe, and even in the US, and found that they had too much sugar/sweetners, and not enuff spices in 'em, compared to the UK version ...
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 6:16 pm

really.... read the intro to any of Julie Sahni's cookbooks. very helpful all around
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®