Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / great cookbooks
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:12 pm

I got this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73317966@N00/81553795/

Joy of Cooking is essential! so is Larousse Gastronomique and CIA's and of course the goner cookbook too
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:15 pm

oh and The Escoffier Cookbook is also essential
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:32 pm

High-falutin'!

We likes Doubleday Cookbook, any Rick Bayless or Mark Bittman, the new Gourmet Cookbook is fantastique, Cooks Illustrated collections kickass too (Best American Food or something like that--also their "Cover and Bake" is GREAT)...
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:37 pm | Edited by: messageboardbandit

yeah I guess a little. something wrong with that? they come with pictures too, fiery.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:07 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

No, not at all. I am impressed, that's all. Gourmet and Doubleday are no jokes, though. No pix in Bittman either...he just writes his so nicely and can make confusing recipes so much more understandable.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:28 pm

I like Gastronomique 'cause it's more of an encyclopedia and covers just about everything. I wouldn't open it up and cook from it. If I'm looking for a recipe I usually start with Joy of Cooking.
The Escoffier is kind of a cooking classic. I think I came across him reading Bourdain muse on him. It is, after all, all in the stock, right?
I've been wanting the "how to cook everything" Bittman one.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:36 pm | Edited by: Windy

I'm no gourmet. this is my favorite cookbook, hands down
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0452272998/ref=pd_bxgy_img_b/103-3575 522-6905462?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I long to have a complete set of Joy of Cooking. My mother refers to it as Joy of Sex, and I can't bring myself to make the purchase
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:47 pm

The Bittman ones are really, really good. We have the "everything" one and he just put out one called something like "1000 Best Recipes in the World" which is a pretty literal title. Most things are foreign dishes and it is nicely separated into types of meat/cuts etc. Like a bunch of trout recipes are all up in there together.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 6:33 pm

I have about 2 dozen cookbooks. I really like Bittman too although he doesnt use enough spices for me. I usually end up doctoring the recipes with fresh herbs or bay leaves or peppercorns to get more flavor.

one thing I've really been loving is the Everyday Food magazine. It's put out by the folks at Martha Stewart Living, but the recipes are super easy and great. It's digest-sized, usually available near the check out.

recent wonderful recipes I've tried: tandoori chicken (marinated in yogurt), leek/parsnip soup (with a green apple, who knew?), chile flank steak with fresh parsley puree, white bean and bacon soup, and a fantastic cranberry sauce made with fresh cranberries and fresh ginger root.

one thing i really like about it is that every month they pick an ingredient -- some kinda cheese or veggie or meat -- that you know about but aren't quite sure how to use, then give you about 10 great recipes. they're also big on teaching you how to cook a whole chicken or something for a fancy main course then making great dishes out of the leftovers. some might be kinda obvious, like a steak salad, but then they'll make an amazing dressing out of the leftover parsley sauce and a lime.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 6:54 pm

You are the second person to pimp Everyday Food.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:08 pm

My (girl) roommie has this book called "How to be a Domestic Goddess", which, despite it having the WORST TITLE EVER, turns out some pretty amazing sweets.

I also like Jaques Pepin's "Style and Technique" book, or whatever it's called. It has tons of great recipes but also TONS of pictures detailing how to, say, bone a duck, hold a knife, do this, or that.... pretty great.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:17 pm

Isn't this MUCH better than "A Exploration of Portland Food and Drink", Joe?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:18 pm

Oh, man. So much.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:53 pm

tandoori chicken for Colin:

1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 minced garlic cloves
1 t ground tumeric
1 t ground ginger
coarse salt and ground pepper
4 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (or whatever piece of chicken you wanna use -- I've done boneless breasts and thighs)
2 granny smith apples
1 T fresh chopped cilantro

preheat oven to 475. in large bowl mix 1/2 cup yogurt, garlic, tumeric, ginger, 2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper. add chicken, turn to coat.

put chicken on rimmed baking sheet (I put foil down 1st to cut down on mess). roast 25-30 minutes.

peel and core apple, put apple chunks and cilantro in food processor or coarsely grate by hand. add to remaining yogurt, season with salt and pepper. serve sauce alongside chicken with rice if desired.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:26 pm

Thanks andria...Ima make it this week. I used to cook the Indian specials at Squash Blossom(the old one where India Palalce is now) after John Pearson quit. I would make and apple chili chutney just like that except i would de-seed some jalapenos and toss them in with the apple, cilantro, fresh ginger and i would pour in a bottle of Reeds Ginger Brew http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/home.asp...sort of gave it a twang.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:40 pm

mmm, your way sounds good!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:13 pm

Any Southern Living Annual cookbook is great. Also, River Road Recipes and the Talk about Good! series can't be beat. Any Junior League cookbook is bound to be fun.
Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking is my favorite
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:17 pm

Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:51 pm

Larousse Gastronomique

LOVE this book. if you're really into wanting to know the how and why of cooking, this is a FANTASTIC way to start.

i fucking loathe hate and despise rachel ray simply because she does the most annoying thing in the entire world - she calls extra virgin olive oil E.V.O.O. and she will say "extra virgin olive oil or E.V.O.O" forty freaking times in her show. if you just say that once, then use EVOO after that, it wouldn't be so bad, but nooooooooooooooooo. grrrrrrr. i dislike her almost as much as i dislike that nigella bites lady on the fashion channel.

are there any goner cookbooks up at goner or are they all gone? i missed out on that one. :(
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:56 pm

i hate the way rachael ray conducts herself - her smirks, all that... however, i think her techniques and easy to follow recipes are pretty good for the average bear.

on the other had, i ADORE nigella lawson. i want to be her.

on the cook book front....i LOVE julie sahni's indian cook books - classic indian cooking and also her vegetarian one. indian made easy.
there's a russian one called to the table which i really like and just about anything by paula wolfert for provencal french and also general mediterranean and north african.

i got some 1950s gourmet compendiums from my dad and i love their vintage recipes... all butter, salt, lard... all so very tasty....
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 12:01 am

on the other had, i ADORE nigella lawson. i want to be her

i like gaffling her recipes for certain. i switch them up a bit, but she has some really brilliant /creative/interesting ideas for things to make. we used to watch her show up at this restaurant i used to cook at, but have it on silent and i'd copy her ideas a bit. i stole my favorite dessert recipe from her, as a matter o'factly. i just don't like the whole idea of "hey i'm pretty and i cook." she eats a lot while she is cooking so that kind of reminds me of myself. i just wait for the day she packs on an extra 15 pounds...
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 12:34 am

Any Junior League cookbook is bound to be fun.

I have an early 1960's Exchange Club Tea Room cookbook that is FANTASTIC (no lie).
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 12:35 am

are there any goner cookbooks up at goner or are they all gone? i missed out on that one. :(

reprint please! I think I have stuff in there too. Vol. II is obviously a must.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 12:52 am

the whole thing about nigella lawson's looks.......

in the TV industry, all the executives already thinks she is fat... seriously.... i frequently shoot screen tests for casting directors and that's all they talked about.... how fat she was. even when i was relaunching the food network, there was this buzz about her and they all said, "but she's fat."

when i finally saw her from head to toe on tv, i thought, well, if SHE is fat... then what about the rest of the overweight people????

i think the thing about her that people really hate is that she's dating charles saatchi, who she got close to while her husband, a wealthy guy and pal of saatchi's was terminally ill. of course no one really considers that maybe saatchi swooped in on her?

i dunno... she just seems like a real person to me, i like her recipes and she's one pretty woman for whom i have no contempt.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 1:03 am

i just wait for the day she packs on an extra 15 pounds...

Me, too. In the words of Rachel Ray, "Yummo!"
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 8:19 pm

That rock'n roll cookbook up top has gotta be the inspiration for the Goner one, right?
I have an awesome Marlboro Cowboy cookbook from the early 70s (seriously) that calls for one pack of finely-ground cigarette butts in every recipe (not seriously). I don't think I've ever seen more different shades of brown in one book, ever. It's basically recipes that cowboys have contributed from being out on the range.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 8:23 pm

n the TV industry, all the executives already thinks she is fat...

Even the "models" on America's Next Top Model are "too fat". This is all nothing new. Look at how women have always looked on TV/magazines.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®