Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / SUSHI! WAAA-TAAAAAAAAAAH!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 3:30 am

Odd at First, then it grew on me......HIIIIII-YAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 3:34 am

I took my first bite (tuna= maguro?) at the age of 16 and haven't looked back since. Tuna is still a fave but my fave rolls are yum yum, rainbow, spider and dragon. Not too adventurous but hella good, yo.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:26 am

WERD!
I wish I started at 16, I was to busy smoking weed & eating BK back then.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:42 am

(^&*& WoW! mE LoVe sUSHi WRONGTIME!(&%%
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:34 pm

wasabi has to be the best thing ever. We had sushi on new year's and it was super yummy. I only get the vegetable stuff though, so does that really count?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:38 pm

I am a poki fanatic. I also love the cone sushi--what are those? Much easier for me to eat.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:41 pm

Poki- ahi or tako? I don't eat no tako. only taco.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:44 pm

Poki-ahi.

We had some in Mexico that was truly the best thing I had ever had. Strangely enough, it was at an Italian restaurant run by hippie surfers in a way Southern Mexico town. Go figure.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:49 pm

That is weird. It's a Hawaiian/ Japanese dish!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 6:19 pm

Like I said, go figure. I think it had to do with the fact that the town is a long-time surfer's enclave. The big surfer hotel had anotehr version of it that was also great--they used lotsa hot pepper there.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:20 pm

I also love the cone sushi--what are those?

Those are called "hand rolls."

I particuarly love the Yellowtail tuna (Hamachi), but I'll eat just about everything, with the exception of the mackerel. If you've never tried mackerel sushi, let me just say there's a reason why it's always the cheapest item on the menu. It is beyond "fishy" tasting.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:21 pm

Holy mackerel.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:28 pm

Well, hand rolls rock. There is quite a bit good sushi here but I have a problem wif it. I'd rather not confess to the board cos I'd hear a bunch of "sexy" jokes...but why not? The rolls here tend to be too big for my little mouth. SEE?!?!?!?!?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:31 pm

O-Toro & Chu-Toro are the best for tuna. Amae-Ebi (sweet shrimp) are quite tasty.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:38 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Yoko's has this amazing seared tuna nigiri--it is just barely seared and has this yum spice on it.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:42 pm

The rolls here tend to be too big for my little mouth. SEE?!?!?!?!?

I'll see your "sexy" comment and raise you one. Try nigiri sushi (fish on a bit of rice), rather than maki (rolls), that might be easier for you to take into your "little mouth" without your gag reflex kicking in. Plus, you get more fish that way.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:45 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I never knew this, but I don't care. I still do it with crappy maki sushi. I am an Ugly American. And due to my "delicate mouth issues", I have to also break Rule #2. Me gagging on a full mouth of fish, rice and nori is the ugliest.

Don't make wasabi soup with your soy sauce! Sushi Chef's cringe at this spectacle that Americans often make. Wasabi paralyzes your palette and will hide the subtle flavors that fish has when eaten raw.

Never bite into a piece of food and then replace the other half on your plate. Once you have picked something up you should eat all of it.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:46 pm

Hugh, thank you for your concern. I have finally discovered this is the way to go...when eating sushi.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®