Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Favorite Soft Drink
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 8:44 pm

soft drinks: A generic term applied to beverages that do not contain alcohol. Soft drinks are most often thought of as carbonated, though effervescence is not a requisite.

LEMONADE!
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 8:46 pm

LEMONADE!

Hands down. Genius.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 8:54 pm

I finally tried limeade last year and I loved it.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 8:58 pm

I decided to try minute maid's cherry-limeaid. It was really good at first, but the longer it sat in my fridge, the more it started tasting like grapefruit juice.

It's still in there. I wonder if it'll ferment?
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 9:07 pm

Lime and lemonades are fantastic but no matter how many universities ban it...COKE IS IT!!!!
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 9:09 pm

HELLO BOSS
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 9:34 pm

cherry limeades from Sonic are amazing!!! Once of the things I will dearly miss when I move out of the South.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 9:37 pm

Try Cherry Limeades with PGA.

A favorite from West Memphis Sonic circa 1983.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 9:42 pm

what's a PGA? Is it a memphis thing?
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 9:44 pm

Is it a memphis thing?
In a way, yes.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 1:35 am | Edited by: skot

RC, as in Royal Crown.

Squirt is pretty good for the day after with Chinese food when you wake up and realise you've slept through what would've been breakfast and lunch.

I really like those overpriced soda fountain thingamajigs i.e. green river and the stewart's brand.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 1:37 am

People out here all the time ask when I refer to "PGA Punch": "What is that?" Oh you haven't LIVED people!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 1:52 am

We always refer PGA as Everclear down in these parts and we call the punch "jungle juice". Don't get me started about punch, we started to get really ornate with the juice, adding large amounts of fresh fruit such as pineapple, kiwis, oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, and lots of lemons. Lemon juice really counteracts the sweetness of the fruit juice concentrate. However it is pretty sick when people are grabbing handfuls of fruit after just coming out of the bathroom.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 2:28 am

mmmm diet cherry limeade is my thang these days. when i was in high school, i used to put soco into regular cherry limeade. was actually pretty good. rode around with it in a sonic cup and it still just smelled like cherry limeade, but got ya druuuuunk.

i likes me some diet dr. pepper. stuff is good.

pga punch. shit is a surefire ticket for a ride on the vomit comet.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 2:47 am

That was why the PGA "Cherry Lime Sprahte (Sprite)" as we called it, was more tolerable. I remember being in a Magic Market to get more maranchino cherries and I was so annihilated that I just dropped the entire glass jar on the floor and ran out. Who the hell was DRIVING on these nights?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 2:52 am

Green River, assorted flavors of Jones Soda, Cherry Coke and Shasta cream soda on a hot summer day. If I'm eating a hot dog, I need some kinda soft drink.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 2:53 am

coca cola
i put in a lime wedge and maraschino cherries when i want to live large

dr. pepper is next in line.
diet dr. pepper is the only diet cola i'll drink
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 6:40 am

black cherry Kool-Aid.

Your delicious PGA drink reminds me of Faygo Rock & Rye mixed with Black Velvet. When you're 14 you have fucked up taste budz and a cute lil liver.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 6:54 am | Edited by: andria

who remembers Rondo? it was like kinda like Mountain Dew... rumor was that it could getcha drunk!

who bought OK Soda for the cool label design?

and I wish I'd tried this:
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 6:57 am

Ho. Ly. Shit. Andria.

Rondo? FUCKING RONDO!!!!!
There was "White Lightning", too, around the same time?
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:02 am

white lightning was legendary around our school, but I never actually saw a bottle...
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:06 am

I only remember the can.
Official Victory Drink for the third place winner of the Wall-Doxey, MS Fishing Rodeo, 1978.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 2:12 pm

Kelly Dougher(sp??) used to drive us around after we had been drinkin some PGA mixed with Jungle Juice. I dont think I had hangovers back then in high school...cause that shit should have been killin my ass!! I also was a fan of the 100 Proof Vodka mixed with Gatorade....shit would mix in with the supposed electrolytes and hit straight to your bloodstream...used to mess me up baaad!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 3:51 pm

cherry limeades from Sonic are amazing!!! Once of the things I will dearly miss when I move out of the South

make your own the Sonic way:
(20 oz)
1/2 cup ice
sprite
cherry syrup to taste (sonic uses minute maid)
1 lime wedge (don't squeeze unless you like more lime than cherry)
1 cherry

does everyone know this already?

or you can do what the high school kids do:

Sonic slush any flavor
vodka
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 3:56 pm

Cherry Slurpee
Coke Slurpee
Cherry Coke Slurpee
Horchata
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 3:59 pm

No doubt on the RONDO memory. I had all but forgot. It was huge around my house; I think they fell for the ye olde tymey-yet-70's-fern-bar hipness of it. There was, at least up until my last living in Memphis (May 2000), a bleached out old Rondo ad, painted ont he side of some Midtown bldg. Anyone know it? I wanna say the West side of the Underground Sound bldg.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:02 pm

Fanta Red Creme Soda !! I think it has been discontinued. I really enjoy diet coke from Wendy's for some reason.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:57 pm

Jones Creme Soda.
Cherry Coke slushies
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:08 pm

White Lightning was another short-lived Mt. Dew rip off. Sun Drop is delicious, alas unavailable in this area.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:09 pm

Sodas with brominated vegetable oil are the shit. Like liquid ball bearings.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:10 pm

a bleached out old Rondo ad, painted ont he side of some Midtown bldg. Anyone know it?

I thought that was at the Kwik Chek.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:15 pm

Maybe that is it...I know I used to see it A LOT.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:28 pm

I second Horchata.

Also, I love vanilla coke, but only the hand-mixed kind, not the stuff that's pre-made in the can (which is being discontinued, by the way.)
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:07 pm

Also, I love vanilla coke, but only the hand-mixed kind, not the stuff that's pre-made in the can (which is being discontinued, by the way.)

i just saw a GIANT billboard in HOllywood for black cherry vanilla coke
so i guess the vanilla coke is being morphed

chemical vanilla and cherry are gross though. i always made cherry cokes by dumping the liquid from maraschino cherries into the coke and dumping in half the cherries as well
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:09 pm

black cherry vanilla coke

Yucky! I betcha that'll taste like carbonated NyQuil.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:13 pm

Anybody ever had Shasta diet chocolate mint soda? I always hoped they made it regular, but they dont.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:16 pm

Holiday Spice Pepsi. Why didnt they bring that shit back this Christmas?

Also, the best cola of all-time was Pepsi out of the 16 oz tall glass bottles. There was soemthing in those bottle that made it test better, i swear. I dont suppose any bottling plant still makes those? RC in the little glass bottles too. I miss glass.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:22 pm

Also, the best cola of all-time was Pepsi out of the 16 oz tall glass bottles. There was soemthing in those bottle that made it test better, i swear. I dont suppose any bottling plant still makes those? RC in the little glass bottles too. I miss glass.

Go to any Mexican neighborhood in the US. The stores and taquerias generally sell pepsi and coke from Mexico bottled in the old glass bottles. Not only does the glass make it better, but they still use mostly sugar in Mexico, rather than the corn syrup they use in the US.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:10 am

mmmm fruit punch flavored kool aid. i still have a couple of packs of the sugar free version of that in my cabinet right now.

i like diet cherry coke. from the plastic bottle or can. either way.

i do miss rc cola from glass bottles though. that shit was tasty.

i like cheerwine too. and ski. and fresca (the og kind, not this fruit flavored fusion b.s. they came out with recently). and oh hell...big red. mmmmm.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:13 am

The Mexican version of Coke is waaaaaaay better than ours. íVivaMexico!
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:14 am

Yup. I can get it at all 50 taco stands on my block.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 8:54 am

Vernor's
and the Pellegrino Arancita or Orangina (even if they cost more than a goddamn beer)

but I like Minute Maid Strawberry soda and Welch's or Nehi grape also so my tastebuds might be fucked

the mexican apple soda is really good too
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 3:45 pm

Lipton's Extra Sweet Tea.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:07 pm

and I wish I'd tried this:
I tried Pepsi Kona once. Philadelphia was one of the test markets when I lived there. I was surprised that it even made it to the test market stage. Absolutely disgusting. Its what you expect: it tasted like someone put expresso beans in your Cola.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 6:16 pm

When I was a tyke growin' up in Wautoma, WI, it was always a treat to get Ting Soda. Small, kid size bottles we'd try to drink in one gulp a la Mean Joe Green in that Coke commercial.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 10:19 pm

Topo Chico mineral water!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 3:35 am

Minute Maid Lite Lemonade
Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper
Seagrams Raspberry Ginger Ale
Orange Crush
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 4:09 am

Mellow moon red pop and mcormicks. Not so soft but cheap.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:54 pm

gimme some water with some cocaine in it
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 3:18 pm

you got it.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:02 pm

Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper sucks.

Nehi Grape is where it's at.
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 12:27 am

Schweppe's raspberry and grape ginger ales are perfectly refreshing sodas.
Posted: Jan 15, 2006 4:23 pm

Don't partake much these days but Dr. Pepper in the can is the tastiest. (I like it in the can!)

Used to go to a place called THE POP SHOP in Louisville, Ky when I was a tot. They made all their own sodas and you could mix and match.
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 10:49 pm

Nehi Peach
Big Red
Hiney Wine
Posted: Jan 17, 2006 11:25 pm

Diet Cherry Limeade
Big Red
Ginger Ale [regular - not Wholepaycheck Foods styles]
Diet Coke - Lime
Orange Crush in tha summer
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 1:00 pm

Ting
Vernor's Ginger Ale
Mr. Goudas West Indian Style Ginger Beer

(bonus points: these are all excellent mixers, as well)
Posted: Jan 18, 2006 8:10 pm

Vernor's is the bomb

Anyone else out there enjoy some Cheerwine?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®