Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / vegetarian cookbooks
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 6:48 pm

anyone have recommedations on good vegetarian cookbooks? I'm getting pretty bored with the 5 vegetarian dishes that I know and really can't afford to each out as much anymore.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 7:32 pm

Field of Greens

The only one I have ever liked.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 7:33 pm

the Moosewood Cookbook is supposed to be really good. But I think it depends on what you want to cook...

I like to take non-vegetarian recipes and alter them - I'll make meat pie with morning star fake meat crumbles or BBQ sandwhiches with seitan.

Look for Fantastic brand mixes at your grocery store. They have really good veggie chili mix, sloppy joe mix, etc. They're cheap and good.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 10:18 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Moosewood just tends to be very plain, old-style vegetarian. Not a lot of inventive use of seasonings, which you better have if you ain't putting no meat up in there.

Joe made me a vegetarian cookbook once, complete with illustrations called (ah HEM): "Put This in Your Mouth!"
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 10:35 pm | Edited by: lemissa

I've been cooking a lot out of Moosewood the last month b/c I stole it back from my mom. The black bean soup is really good and flavorful but Fiery is right, some recipes need to be augmented for sure. I like it mainly b/c it's a classic and was my first cookbook.

I tried the cornbread as a test b/c can a person from ithica, ny really know how to make cornbread? Well, to my surprise it's really really good. I used a big cast iron to make it thin and crispy and man, I'm about to go make some as soon as my hubby gets back from the store w/ the buttermilk.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®