Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / desserts.desserts.desserts.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 5:04 am

what's your favorite to make?

i make some really great maple pecan bread pudding with praline sauce, a terrific chocolate/white chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce, and this really strange gelatin fruit thing with vanilla creme sauce, and a yummy lemon/blackberry cake (sounds strange too but works. trust me.)

i want to learn how to make tiramisu. i've never tried though. anyone have a decent recipe? :D
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 5:08 am

mmmm ...tiamisu...I want that now!
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 5:12 am

ladyfingers
espresso
alchohol(cognac,brandy,rum)
marscapone
for garnish:
powdered sugar
powdered chocolate

finish with a shot of grappa.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 7:31 am

carrot cake
especially with walnuts and crushed pineapples in the middle, and coconut in the frosting
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 8:22 am

I make really yummy brownies.

This past Christmas, I made lemon hazelnut biscotti. They were a success.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 11:27 am

take a HOstes Suzy Q.. put in fridge for 1 hour er so,
take it out. Put your fav Ice Cream on top of it. with some hershey's chocolate syrup. trailer park parfait.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 4:55 pm

Flan is the best---it is time-consuming but pretty eay.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 5:46 pm

i tried my hand at chess pie for xmas. We always had it when I was a kid b/c it was my grandfather's favorite, but after he died my mom stopped making it.

I made it with homeade crust, another first. For eggs and sugar, chess pie sure is good.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 3:00 am

flan doesn't have to be time consuming!

you can use the french short cut

combine your milk, eggs & extra egg yolk, stir up.

meanwhile - in a non reactive skillet, melt down sugar.

swirl sugar into ceramic or glass thingie
put the thingie into a bain marie (ie: another pan that has simmering water in it - half way up the top of your thingie filled w/ custard)

bake in oven at around 350 til its firm and a toothpick or knife or other testing thingie comes out clean.

refrigerate
turn upside down onto platter.... let the caramelized sugar do its thing.

i add orange peel to the custard but you don't have to
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:48 am

I made Steingarten's chocolate chip cookie recipe today -- took 3 dozen over to friends for dinner, and the kids ate em all before we even finished our first course. easy recipe -- he tweaked the one on the choco chop package a bit -- and delish.

my fave pie that's the easiest but is the most rewarding is bourbon chocolate pecan pie. but i ain't as good as Melissa -- I use the refrigerated pie crust (not the pre-formed one, the kind that unrolls into sheets. it's cheating, but it tastes as good as a real one, and it's a helluva lot quicker!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:53 am

1 slice white bread
2 TBSP Sugar

Spread sugar on bread. Fold diagonally. Mash on counter until flat.

Heat in microwave, if necessary for warm Crepes.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 2:17 pm

Man...I had some banana bread french toast with homemade vanilla bean ice cream at Mcewens once...shit was rich but really, really good.....and of course it was like $8. Im also a big fan of Bananas Foster when its done right.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:02 pm

flan doesn't have to be time consuming!

That was exactly how I did it and the caramelizing of the sugar took FOREVER. And I burnt my hand on it. It wasn't all that time-consuming once the sugar was done, but to get that just right took some time.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:12 pm

I make a kickass key lime pie with yummy meringue. Well, I've made it once, but it's my favorite now. Hopefully I can recreate the masterpiece.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:20 pm

Just when the holiday treat-season was OVER, somebunny at work brought in a ho-made lemon meringue pie. GRRRR!!

It was delish. Dammit.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 4:55 pm

Bread pudding is some good shit that I can actually make.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®