Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / i want to make some chili
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 6:40 pm

anyone have a chili recipe they'd care to share? i've got a craving and some time on my hands so i want to cook something. like chili. someone want to help me out?
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:10 pm

I've got a pretty good veggie chilli recipe, but I'm guessing you're looking for something a bit more meaty.

Try browning your meat with a nice assortment of poblano and jalapeno peppers (and any others you deem appropriate) at the beginning for some nice flavoring.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:16 pm

I know lots about TOILET CHILLI!!!!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:19 pm

Who prefers what:

Real Chili

or

Texas Chili

It is obvious which I crave (but to be fair, I have never had Texas Chili...I just can't imagine no beans)
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:39 pm

I still more or less consider myself a Texan and have always preferred it with beans.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:40 pm

I love me some good chili...but sometimes my fucked-up working schedule doesn't permit the time or foresight to make a proper pot. So.....

The Workin' Bitches Quick Chili From Cans

-2 cans yo' fave canned chili
-1 can of sweet corn
-1 can of diced tomatoes (or stewed, chopped, whatever)
-salt and pepper that bitch
-chili seasoning if you have it on hand, but taco seasoning, or anything in a seasoning pack in the back of yo' cupboard will do

throw in a pot, and heat til your liking

top her off with diced onion if you gots, maybe some cheese and a spoon o' sour cream

This stuff is by no means a replacement for a nice pot of chili, but as a substitution, it'll do in a pinch. I always keep a few cans of this shit on hand for emergencies. It'll feed you for a few meals.

ct
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 9:38 pm

Follow the recipe on the label of Bush's Chili Hot Beans.

I add a teaspoon of sugar and a tble spoon of ketchup to the recipe. I put olives in it after I put it in a bowl.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 9:40 pm

green or black?
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 9:55 pm

i'm gonna spend tomorrow hung over and making chili. keep 'em coming!
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 10:07 pm

Green.

My cat loves em too. He'll grin ear to ear for a green olive.
Posted: Jan 1, 2006 8:11 am

Whatever recipe you use, make sure to add some cinammon. And remember, you can always add more hot sauce after the fact.
Posted: Jan 1, 2006 8:45 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I just made a pot.
Saute 3 big onions and some garlic in some olive oil, add a couple of pounds of hamburger, and a pound of stew meat (cut small if you need to).
Add dry chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne and a little coriander.
Add peppers if you want them (jalepeno, habenero, etc)
Saute. Drain for non greasy chili, don't drain for greasy chili.
Add 1 large can crushed tomotos, 2 cans of canned chicken broth, a bit of water. Season with everything again.
Heat to boiling...turn down to simmer. Let it simmer a couple of hours at least.
Add 1 mostly drained can of black beans, and 1 mostly drained can of kidney beans...bring back to simmer and simmer another hour or so. Season again if you want.
I put cheese and sour cream on top.

Really easier than it sounds. The longer it cooks the better. Keep it way low after you add the beans, or it will scorch. It's also better (thicker) the next day.
Posted: Jan 1, 2006 10:21 pm

i just got back from brunch, didn't make it out of bed in time to go to the grocery store so no chili for me. nothing but beer in my house. starting the new year off with a bang i guess.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 1:19 am

i like to use:

2 cans of black beans
1 can of chili beans
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of shoepeg corn
a fuckton of jalepeno slices
2 cans of rotel
a shitload of chipotle hot sauce
some garlic
cumin
chili powder
1 bag of frozen gumbo fixins (okra, onions, peppers etc)
cayenne pepper
1 beer
salt and pepper to taste

but i don't eat red meat so it's really more veggie oriented than what you might be looking for...
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 3:05 pm

Man...in Cincinatti they have a chain called Skyline Chili and they serve it on noodles. Pretty damnd good. I dont think it has beans in it either.

http://www.skylinechili.com/
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 3:06 pm

Also....i always add part of a milk chocolate bar in the pot when Im makin chili. Thickens it up and gives it a little sweetness...check it out.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 3:24 pm

crucial chili

1 lb or so ground beef (not too lean)
one onion chopped
several cloves of garlic (minced)
can of diced tomatos (with zesty chiles)
can of beans (red or black - your choice) - drained
small can of sweet corn
ketchup
crucial seasoning mix (black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cyenne pepper, salt, little bit of sugar, pinch of tyme)

in iron skillet cook the beef and onions - wait about 2 or 3 minutes and add the garlic. add a couple tsps of crucial seasoning.
once meat is brown and onions are translucent lower heat and add the beans and totatos - maybe throw in a bay leaf for good luck and few more pinches of crucial seasoning
let simmer on low heat - probably covered - stir every once in a while and throw in some more crucial seasoning

while the chili is simmering make some jiffy corn bread mix and put in the oven -- what i do is put 1/2 the can of corn into the jiffy mix so there is corn in my cornbread - reserve the other 1/2 the can of corn

when the corn bread is done throw the other half the can of corn into the cilii and dump in about 2/3 a cup of ketchup and the last of the crucial seasoning mix. let this cook another 5 minutes or so and serve. maybe with some cheese on top.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 9:11 pm

Man...in Cincinatti they have a chain called Skyline Chili and they serve it on noodles.

In addition to the noodles, Skyline/Cincinatti chili has cinnamon in it. I kinda like it, but is it really chili?

I make my chili like so (sorry I don't really use too many specific measurements, but this recipe is for a HUGE pot of chili. I make it so it's so hot that you can see into the next dimension, but you can adjust to your own wimpy taste):

Brown 1 1/2 lb coarse ground beef
Brown 2 lbs. pork shoulder (or boneless pork rib meat) cut into 1" chunks
Drain and remove from pot

In olive oil, sautee 2 chopped onions and 3-4 cloves chopped garlic until translucent.
Add the following:
2 large cans whole tomatoes (including juice)- chopped
1 standard can tomato paste
1 15oz. can Chicken Broth
1 can of El Pato Tomato sauce (get this at mexican markets)
I can dark red kidney beans
8 jalapenos seeded and veined chopped in big chunks
12 serrano peppers cut into small pieces
2 habaneros cut into small pieces
WARNING: wear rubber gloves when you cut these pepper. Otherwise, anything (eyes, genitalia, etc.) you touch afterward will burn, even if you wash your hands a dozen times!

Add the following
Chili Powder (lots)
Cayenne pepper (lots)
Black pepper
Oregano (not too much. 2 teaspoons maybe)
2 Tablespoons Masa Harina
1 Teaspoon sugar

Add water, if needed

You'll need to add some salt eventually, but you won't need too much, as the broth and tomato products all have salt in them. Wait until everything's mixed well and starting to cook. Taste. If it needs salt, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and taste. If more is needed, add another 1/2 teaspoon. Repeat until the right saltiness is achieved.

Keep cooking on low until the pork chunks are tender. It'll probably take at least 2 hours, but 3-4 hours is better. It's best to let the stuff sit overnight in the fridge and heat and serve the next day. This allows the flavors to completely mingle. Serve with cornbread and/or Frito's
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:15 am

Man...in Cincinatti they have a chain called Skyline Chili and they serve it on noodles. Pretty damnd good. I dont think it has beans in it either.

the first time i ever ate this i thought it was fucking nasty and then i kept finding myself craving it. so much in fact that when i went up there in august of this past year, i actually broke my no red meat rule and ate a 5 way and a couple of coneys.

it's not very good qualitywise, but there's just something about it. like someone said, they definitely have cinnamon in it. rumored to contain slight traces of chocolate as well, but don't quote me on that. maybe that's why it's so fucking addictive. they can it and they also have frozen meals of it too. i need to get some of my friends from up there to ship me some of that shit. really wouldn't consider it chili, but whatever. it's yum.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:33 am

like someone said, they definitely have cinnamon in it. rumored to contain slight traces of chocolate as well,

that's classic Oaxacan cooking.... mole poblano (imagine an accent aigu of the e)

i also like to balance out cumin w/ cinnamon
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 5:36 am

the Low Down Dirty DAWGS are big fans of the Skyline... if it's good enough for Bryce Michaels and Kenny "Bad Dawg" Malone, it's good enough for me!
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 5:43 am

"Hows about a 3 way! Thats just Cinci talk for Skyline chilli! Add beans & you've got a 5 way!"--I never understood how adding one topping could make it go from 3 to 5. Crazing! Love dem D.A.W.G.'S!!!
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:01 pm

Posted: Jan 11, 2006 4:36 pm

My secret chili ingredients are: Take 5 different brand cans of chili, put them in a pot,& brag to everyone about how you make the best chili EVER!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®