Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 4:57 pm

i stumbled upon this website that's pretty usefuly, enlightening and fun

http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:33 pm

A box of baking soda in the fridge or freezer absorbs odors?

"This is a very clever and successful marketing ploy by the baking soda people, but the fact is that baking soda is very poor at absorbing odors. It seems to make sense, however, so lots of people have spent untold billions of dollars to put boxes of baking soda in their fridge or freezer to no effect. Activated charcoal would work much better but is expensive. Better to wrap your food and clean the fridge once in a while."

THEM MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:39 pm

I'm throwing away my box of baking soda tonight if all's it's good for is getting knocked over and making a mess.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 3:26 am

Good stuff. After recently "retiring" from food service after nearly 30 years, I love it when somebody fresh out of culinary school tries to school me with their "knowledge". The avocado pit and the soaking of beans area both matters I have argued with people over and over. Cooking is chemistry, plain and simple.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 3:31 am

and the soaking of beans

Sir/Madam,
I implore you to kick down some knowledge. I have seen "quick" methods of soaking beans. Is there such a thing, or must it be overnight.

Much respect for a 30-year schooling in experience. No lie.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 4:14 am

cook the damn beans until they are soft
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 5:04 am

cook the damn beans until they are soft

I bet you say that to all the fellas. Soak, or no. Discuss.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 5:40 am

Soak em and then cook em--that makes them the most soft. If you don't have time to soak overnight, you can boil them alone with salted water hardcore til they are soft but not losing their skin and then cook to your likeness with the recipe ingredients (say for flavored red beans and black beans recipes).
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 6:13 am

what she said.
soak em as long as you can/have time to

you can always use a pressure cooker, too.

its just really important to keep checking the water level to make sure it doesn't boil away and your beans are scorching in a dry pan
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 2:05 pm

I love my pressure cooker. But I still soak the beans. It just sucks to have to plan ahead that much.

I've heard that using metal on an avocado causes it to turn brown. Is this true? When I add tomatillos it never turns brown. I always use the pits, but I have no faith in this myth...
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 3:51 pm

you can always use a pressure cooker, too.

Reminds me of a snowboarding trip I spent with a bunch of vegetarians not used to cooking at altitude. I felt like sleeping in the garage.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 10:36 pm

tomatilloes probably have enough acid content to keep the avocadoes from turning brown. its just the exposure to air that discolors fruits & veg... they are organic matter and are breaking down

i doubt that metal touching avocadoes will turn them brown
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 1:01 am

I put lemon or lime juice (=acid) in my guacamole and it still turns brown--it is the direct exposure to air. The underneath will remain green.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 1:31 am

When I add tomatillos it never turns brown.

I recently started adding tomatillos or salsa verde made from tomatillos to my guac and I can vouch that this is indeed the case.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:48 pm

and the soaking of beans

You do not have to soak the beans. Period. They will cook slightly faster when soaked, but the end result is the same. If you add water to beans once they are cooking, use hot/boiling water, otherwise the skins will split. I don't add salt till near the end as it makes them stick more. If you do soak, discard that nasty ass water they were soaking in. I always rinse raw beans, I've found thousands of little bean shaped pieces of rock and dirt packaged with the beans.

Yeah, Jack my parents bought a restuarant when I was 13. Except for two years when I was in college on work/study and about 3 years of selling guitars, I've worked in kitchens. Till now, now I'm teaching kids the merits of Rock, www.schoolofrock.com. I'm the branch manager of the Austin school.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:53 pm

Thanks, Carney!

Womb Raider referred me to a recipe for Red Beans and Rice. The only thing it really mentioned beneficially for soaking beans was it cuts down on the flatulence factor (and where's the fun in that?). True or no?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:55 pm

Please post the red beans & rice recipe!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:59 pm

From Msr. Martel's internet kitchen...
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:36 pm

That's a good recipe. I'm too lazy to be draining the beans in step one. I just saute the vegetables with the pork products first, then add the beans and water. I add all of the seaoning except the salt, which goes in the last half hour-forty five minutes. Thyme and bay leaf are essential to the the red beans and rice. And Pork.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:39 pm

But the fart-restraining properties of soaking....
Yea or Nay?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:47 pm

There is also a type of seaweed called Kombu that you can cook in with beans that helps extract the gas from them. Only problem is that it gets kinda slimy when you cook it in and yo have to fish it out at the end or it looks like slugs in the beans.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:48 pm

Yo dtrain...i used to work forever in the kitchen with you at the old squash blossom. You still in New York huh?? You still totin that sax around witchya?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 6:50 pm

But the fart-restraining properties of soaking....

I think that soaking and or rinsing will cut back on the general fartiness, as long as you discard the soaking water prior to cooking. But what's the fun in that?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 8:33 pm

Jennifer Belz told me if you rinse the hell out of canned beans, the fart-factor is much diminished.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 8:40 pm

Eating beans without farting is like going to see Springsteen and not hearing "Born to Run."
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 8:55 pm

Eating beans without farting

Remind me not to eat any bean-dishes with you with this attitude!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:16 pm

The only thing it really mentioned beneficially for soaking beans was it cuts down on the flatulence factor (and where's the fun in that?). True or no?

You misread the page.. Rinsing after soaking is what cuts down on the flatulence factor. Supposedly if you use the soakage water to boil the beans it has some kind of protein or enzyme in it that gives you gas. Rinsing the beans off cuts down on that. I don't know how true it is but that's not the only place I've heard it- trained chefs claim it's true as well.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:18 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

Furthermore, my hypothesis on the tomatillos preserving the green in the guacamole is because there's so much water in tomatillos and there should be plenty of salt in a good guacamole, the water leeches from the tomatillos and coats the top of the guac with a thin layer of liquid, which prevents air from reaching down to the avocado flesh.

Face it, I'm brilliant.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 12:14 am

Furthermore, my hypothesis on the tomatillos preserving the green in the guacamole is because there's so much water in tomatillos and there should be plenty of salt in a good guacamole, the water leeches from the tomatillos and coats the top of the guac with a thin layer of liquid, which prevents air from reaching down to the avocado flesh.

Nope, its the acidity of the tomatillos. Lime juice has the same effect. while it will not keep the top layer of guac from becoming oxidized, it will prevent the rest of the guac from turning into a brown puss-like mess. For the top layer, plastic wrap is the only thing that will prevent brownage.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®