Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 6:05 am | Edited by: c lotta

i've never deep fried anything before and i have to bring something to fry to the new years party i'm going to. any easy-peasy vegetarian suggestions?

i have an idea to deep fry an ice cream sandwhich w/ cinnamon and sugar, but what can i use to make the good stuff stick to the sandwhich?
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 6:17 am

when i used to order the deep fried ice cream at mexican restaurants in LA, i found that they covered the ice cream with corn flakes before they fried it.

so, you would coat your ice cream sandwich in cinnamon & sugar and then roll them in cornflakes. you could batter your ice cream sandwich. batter is basically flour and water.... it might take away from the taste..

vegetables are easy to deep fry - that's tempura -- you can go to your local asian grocery and get the mix - its basically flour and seasoning. just add water, drip veggies in it, fry em, enjoy
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:48 am

cornmeal. sliced zucchinni. fry.

fried dill pickle slices are great, too.

cornmeal, though. THAT'S the key. CRUNCHY!!!
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 2:57 pm

Ryan got a deep fryer and does onion rings--yum!
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:04 pm

snickers bars. the little halloween size bites, use tempura. Whoppers would be pretty good too. Cheese maybe... I got a fry daddy a quite a few years ago and we raded the fridge and battered all kinds of things with tempura and fried 'em. Pickles would be pretty awesome.
Posted: Dec 31, 2005 8:20 pm

We did cod/blackfish and it was insanely great. We got the DeLonghi deep-fryer--highly reccomend it.
Posted: Jan 2, 2006 1:23 am

i like to make onion rings myself. but marinate them in hot sauce first before making them....holy shit it's good.

i generally like to deep fry in peanut oil. makes for some AMAZING fried chicken.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:17 am

nothing deep fries better than Twinkies.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 9:10 am

Make some bean burritos and deep fry those to make chimichangas. They're awesome. Just make sure the tortilla is closed well, otherwise the innards will splatter like a madman when they hit the hot oil.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 12:40 pm

Chicken livers in the Fry Daddy night before last, breaded with half cornmeal and half unbleached flour with lots of pepper in the breading. Crunchy and very tasty.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 4:27 pm

OOOH! Did you use egg as the binder? I am doing this!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 4:52 pm

Nope, no binder, fiery. They come in a tub (well, one pound cylindrical container) and are really "juicy" already. Put your pepper, cornmeal and flour in a plastic grocery sack and just throw them in there four or five at a time and shake it up to coat them. Don't throw a lot in at the same time, or they'll get sticky and nasty.
If they're frozen make sure they're COMPLETELY thawed.
YUM! Betcha can't eat just one...
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 4:55 pm

Wait, wait, wait, WAIT!!!

Chicken livers?
No. No, no, no, no, no.
Yuck!
I'd eat Souse again before that.

NO!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:00 pm

I don't know why I can eat chorizo, but not liver.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:01 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

You aren't for real, Jack. I can't smell a chicken liver without completely salivating and becoming obsessed.

Alisa, they do the whole "container" thing here, but I have been buying them from the "local/sustainable/organic" meat counter cos, well, I trust that stuff. They aren't as juicy when they are just being wrapped in butcher paper...but maybe they are juicy enough?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:05 pm

Chicken Liver is the Thin Lizzy of the meat family.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:27 pm

Fiery, I'd use milk instead of egg if you need a little stick to, though they may well be juicy enough just wrapped in butcher paper. You don't really want a heavy breading, or the extra body that egg adds...just a coating. Also, I've heard that milk "mellows" the liver (also catfish...I alway soak my catfish in milk before egg and breading).

What's wrong with you, Jack?
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:30 pm

Jack's civilized.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:43 pm

Well, maybe he needs to be up there in NEW YORK CITY with all y'all!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:44 pm

Stow it, Alice. I mean, West Coaster.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:45 pm

Vic Taybac was even in the movie!
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 7:19 pm

Stow it, Alice. I mean, West Coaster.

OUCH.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 7:37 pm

gus' soaks chicken in buttermilk
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 7:41 pm

All fried chicken should be soaked in buttermilk.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 7:52 pm

All fried chicken should be soaked in buttermilk.

fish too. takes out some of the muddy water flava
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 9:09 pm

Anybody have a good recipe for fried cauliflower? We have this restaurant that fries it with cheese and has an awesome breading, but they recently replaced their kickass jukebox with one of those piece o' junk downloading madonna bitches. I'm boycotting, but I have to have this stuff.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 11:42 pm

OUCH.
I haven't really been in touch with my feelings lately, fiery....
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 12:28 am

Temperature is the key to frying. Buy a candy thermometer, they can take the heat and be emersed n the oil. Keep the oil between 350 and 375 degrees. And be fucking careful. Use a vegetable oil, olive oil has a low smoke point (the temp when oil starts to burn and smoke). And use a pan that's deep enough to contain the oil and whatever you're frying. Don't crowd the pan and fry in small batches. While frying, preheat your oven to 170 and place fried iteams on a cookie sheet covered with paper towels or brown paper sacks. Season fried items when they are fresh from the fryer.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 2:41 am

Carney is really smart.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 3:29 am

Carney is really smart.

That's debatable.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 7:56 am

i illeagally deep fried a whole rottisserie chicken today at work, Flour and some some seasoning... not too bad for my first time..as long as that shit temps out at 190+ degrees,, its good to go! Making sure your food is properly cooked is a good thing, use thermometers!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 5:50 pm

Chicken livers?
No. No, no, no, no, no.

That would be my exact reaction EXCEPT (and I can't explain this) I really do like blackened chicken livers.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:03 am

Anybody have a good recipe for fried cauliflower? Pete at Heavenly Hoagie did fried cauliflower...can't say I liked it, but he knows how to do it.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 3:17 am

So I went ahead and deep fried twinkies tonight. and chicken wings. and then a snickers bar. and a nutter butter cookie. and finally a chips ahoy. Yum, yum, and yum.... think the chips ahoy was the best. the snickers just tasted like one that's been in my bag too long...and the twinkie, it was like a delicate doughnut. all this washed down with champaign and chimay grand reserve! whoooooo hooooo.

ughh....i think i'm gonna have a fried-hangover....
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 3:23 am

mmm
i want some fried chicken right now
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®