Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / GOOD beer thread.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:02 pm | Edited by: dale

Yeah, It's par for the course for us types to talk about the swag but what about the good beers?

It was Blue Moon for me most of the summer. The last week or so I've really been diggin these Blue Star's (Brewed by North Coast outta Mendocino County).
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:07 pm

fucking blue moon is not good beer. it's crap made by coors for chrissakes!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:12 pm

I've been dyin' to get some Molsen Golden lately. It's party beer!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:13 pm

And ledd filling than a fuckin' wah wah pedal.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:18 pm

I recently discovered Bell's Oberon. YUMMMMY!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:19 pm

Bazooks, mmmmm...Molson Canadian = da shiT! quash that golden stuff.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:20 pm | Edited by: Mr E Action

Blue Moon is great...and it's Belgian so I dont think Coors has fuck all to do with it.

also good is Amber Bock, Yuengling is decent, Newcastle Brown Ale is also a fave. And when I'm feelin like a yuppie, I like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

Never had Molson Gold, but Molson Blue sucks ass.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:21 pm

Molson Canadian is GROSS. but I drink warm Pilsner on a regular basis, so what do I know about good beer?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:23 pm

Winter is all about dark(er) beer for me. Lately I've been drinking Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:24 pm

When I make pot roast I use a pint of Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale for the gravy. Superb.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:25 pm

Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale

That stuff is awesome! And expensive!! I think I've drank it like twice and stopped before I got used to it...
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:27 pm

Duvel. It tastes like whipped cream.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:27 pm

Sam Smith's beers are fan-fucking-tastic. I like em all...Oatmeal Stout is my favorite.

Sam Smith's + gravy sounds like a match made in heaven to me.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:30 pm

Molson Canadian tastes good to me.
Who's had that chocolate ale?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:32 pm

Oatmeal Stout

Hey I fucked up. It IS the Oatmeal Stout. Sorry. Don't go usin' that nut brown unless you're posituve it will work. The gravy is a pint of oatmeal stout, some ketchup, a packet of onion soup mix, about a tablespoon of finely chopped mexican chocolate, and that might be it. anyway, bake your potroast in that for four hours and indulge in the richest flavor yo can imagne. It's number one on the meal request list at Casa De Bazooka. Hey! Muddy Spear had it when he was here. Where is he? He'll tell you.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:33 pm | Edited by: kermitthefrog

Blue Moon is great...and it's Belgian so I dont think Coors has fuck all to do with it.

the beer is a belgian style white brewed by a coors subsidiary created by adolph and friends to capitalize on the microbrew boom of a decade ago. just as not all pilsners are brewed in Pilsen, not all belgian whites are brewed in Belgium.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat used to be a favorite of mine, drank it all the time during football season when i lived in massachusetts. there was a place in ypsilanti, mi that used to have it and i'd get it whenever i was there but haven't had one in a couple of years. i thought maybe they discontinued it or something.

i'd been drinking newcastle for a while but when i was at gonerfest i drank nothing but crappy domestics and found that i could drink a lot more of it, didn't get out of control wasted, and had virtually no hangover.

best beer ever is harpoon brewery's winter warmer, but they don't distribute it west of pittsburgh. every year i write the brewery and every year they tell me to shit in my hat.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:35 pm

Sam Smith's beers are fan-fucking-tastic. I like em all...Oatmeal Stout is my favorite

That beer kicks ass. This weekend I tried Bell's Winter Wheat (I think that's what it's called) and it was pretty good.

I live and die by St. Sebastian. Cool bottles, too. Can't afford it, however. A 16oz bottle is like $7 or something stupid like that.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:35 pm

I honestly don't like "good" beer that much because I can't guzzle it like I can cheap, watered-down swill like High Life, Schlitz, etc. I don't drink beer because I like to savor the flavor.

But if I'm going to spring for the good stuff, I'll go with Duvel. It feels like it's shimmering in your mouth.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:46 pm

Stella Artois
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Pilsner Urquell
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:52 pm

I think Canadian only tastes good if you're not actually a Canadian.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:53 pm

Moosehead smells like pot to me sometimes. Canadian tastes so "exotic" in Memphis....
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:03 pm

yeay! I love beer.

my favorite new england beers:

Ipswich Harvest Ale
Ipswich IPA
Mercury Best Bitter (draft only)

who am I kidding, all the Ipswich Ales are fucking awesome. (I guess I have to admit, I work for those guys...)

I always try to drink local if I'm out and about, but Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my good ol' standby beer. Of course, if I'm at Charlie's Kitchen in Cambridge, then I drink a bucket of Hoegaarden for $5.

Girly beers I like:
Ephemere (light w/ a subtle apple flavor)
Lindeman's Framboise! FUCK YEAH! I wish I could mainline this shit...

Favorite Shit Beers:
Schlitz. It's the kiss of hops that does it for me.
Tecate (only in cans)

Sam Smith beers can be good, but most of the time they are way too old. I'd never pay for it. Try Ipswich Oatmeal Stout if you happen to be in Massachusetts/Rhode Island or Connecticut .

Favorite Chicago Beers:
Goose Island IPA and Piece Brewpub's Worryin' Ale.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:04 pm

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat used to be a favorite of mine, drank it all the time during football season when i lived in massachusetts. there was a place in ypsilanti, mi that used to have it and i'd get it whenever i was there but haven't had one in a couple of years. i thought maybe they discontinued it or something.

Well, they have it down at the liquor down in Floriduh so I assume it's not discontinued. Good shit.

Honey Brown is decent shit too.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:14 pm

dang, now i've gotta hunt down some cherry wheat.
c lotta, does harpoon still have events at the brewery? that was where i first had ipswich and sierra nevada (and catamount and a ton of other now defunct brews). those were a blast when i was young.
favorite chicago brew is goose island hex nut brown. good and cheap!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:25 pm

Sam Adams is horrible! Seriously, the worst "good" beer there is.

I didn't know Blue Moon was brewed by Coors. It was some tasty stuff this summer. It's not a Belgium Wheat anyways. It's Belgium "styled". Isn't Sam Adams owned by Miller SAB these days.

Bell's rule but are way overpriced. Goose ISland are freaking expensive here too. Molson is better than Labatt but I'd rather take a Bud over then anymore.

The New Glarus is are some fine beers too.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:29 pm

Been drinking a lot of Kirin Ichibin Japanese beer.
I wish I could get fresh Boddingtons here....the cream of Manchester.
It never survives the trip over the pond. Nothing like it fresh in a pub in Manchester.
You're right about all of the Samuel Smith brews.....great but expensive.....the Winter Warmer should be about ready to hit the stores anyday now.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the brew of choice when I got money.....when I don't, it's a 12 pack of Miller High Life....the champagne of bottled beers!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:37 pm

I like to wander down to the local brew pub to get my half gallon bottle refilled with IPA or their winter special "Lakefront Dark" for 6 bucks. That takes care of any evening pretty good.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:43 pm

Bells is fucking awesome but sadly they aren't always consistant. someone gave me a 6 pack of their anniversary ale last month and i thought it was quite nice. i heart bells two hearted.

anyone like three floyds? i love their alpha king! i'm a sucka for well balanced hoppy-ass beers, tho. (except dogfish head - it's just too much hops, not balanced and i hate that gimmicky shit) anyways, i heard 3 floyds are opening a brewpub? in indiana? i might now have a reason to go to indiana.

harpoon does still have events at their brewery....octoberfests and spring fests i think. i can't believe they would have served any ipswich products there. Ipswich IPA is way better then theirs, although I must say their munich dark grew on me when i had a pint of it on draft a couple weeks ago.

maybe you're thinking of beer summit? the guys at beeradvocate.com throw festivals - the new england beer fest was this past weekend and they had a fine selection of breweries.

we have informal open houses on friday nights at the brewery here in ipswich, ma and would be happy for any goners to attend....
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 10:51 pm

For good beer I like:

McEwan's IPA (my new favorite)
Boddington's
Guinness
Old Speckled Hen

There is a great Irish pub a block from my house where I get all the good stuff. They even have the Great Guinness Toast every year. I went to the last one. Shit was sweet.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:00 pm

who am I kidding, all the Ipswich Ales are fucking awesome. (I guess I have to admit, I work for those guys...)

Knowing this, I immediately propose that you convince your employers to sponsor a Gonerfest-type weekend so I can see a crapload of good bands while drinking nothing but good beer.

Victory's stuff out of PA just became readily available here about 6 weeks ago so I've been overloading on Hop Devil, Prima Pils and Golden Monkey---priced cheaper than lots of the better local stuff it's hard to resist. Sadly, my wife and I have almost finished all the bombers of Alesmith's Old Numbskull and various Stone brews we brought back from a mid-summer CA trip but they've all been great, particularly Stone's smoked porter. Lots of Ommegang stuff too of late---awesome beers for a really reasonable price.

As far as local stuff, Founder's Devil Dancer in bottles has been great---my attempt to hold on to a bunch for cellaring is going incredibly poorly. I can never have too much of New Holland's Mad Hatter and this time of year I always seek out a few bottles of MBC's pumpkin. As far as Bell's, the only stock beers of theirs I really like are the 3rd Coast Ale, Two-Hearted Ale and Expedition Stout, but both recent releases of Batch 7000 and the 20th Anniversary Ale were pretty good.

Trying to change things up a bit I had an Imperial Octoberfest from Avery on Sunday that was ok, but little more than that.

All that said, the only beer ever guaranteed to be in my fridge at any moment is PBR. In cans.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:03 pm

If I feel like a fancy beer, I like to go to d.b.a. in the afternoon and try a bunch of shit. Unemployment rules!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:05 pm | Edited by: No Big Thing

anyone like three floyds? i love their alpha king! i'm a sucka for well balanced hoppy-ass beers, tho. (except dogfish head - it's just too much hops, not balanced and i hate that gimmicky shit) anyways, i heard 3 floyds are opening a brewpub? in indiana? i might now have a reason to go to indiana.

What I've had has been good, but I've still never gotten my mitts on that Imperial Stout of theirs that everyone goes nuts for. Their brewpub is supposed to finally open in the next 7 day; if it does we may try to make a trip there prior to seeing the KK&BBQ/Black Lips/RCT show in Kalamazoo.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:29 pm

Ummm, Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout. Good stuff.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 11:38 pm

maybe you're thinking of beer summit?

no, they used to have an even in late spring/early summer called "brewstock" where they'd invite as many different breweries as possible. there were about 20 or 30 the last time i went which was almost a decade ago. i was in their newsletter once, me and some friends totally fucking shitty at their st. paddy's day event.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 1:52 am

Boddington's. yeah.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 2:46 am

Heineken tastes like stale Grolsch to me. I'll still drink it though.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 2:47 am

Brad X you come hang with me and we'll be swimming in Heineken. I promiise.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 2:48 am

Hey Nobigthing, try the Hefweizen at the Kraftbrau when you see KK&BBQ. Some people knock the beer there but that particular strain is great. Make sure you get a lemon wedge and say hi to me. Look for the shorter guy with the beard and curly hair, my name is Adam.

Speaking of Kalamazoo beers, I'm not a fan of Oberon (properly served with an orange slice), but I like the Bell's winter brews.

Anybody like Worsteiner? It's the perfect meal beer. Any red meat (steak, roast, etc), or some kelbausa, saurkraut, wienersnitzel + Worsteiner is good times.

The thing about drinking "good" beer vs. cheap beer that I've noticed is that I drink about 14-15 High Lifes and am pretty drunk, about half of that drinking some good dark beer does the same trick. It tends to even out dollar wise. Plus the tummy doesn't feel so foam loaded and gassy. But partying is usually more about always having a drink in your hand, so pros and cons, y'know.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 2:52 am

I keep drinking this shit; but for some reason I can't get drunk off it: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7485/336/1600/DONATION-CAN.jpg
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 2:57 am

Just got me some Gaffel Kolsh at the sto. Light and delicious.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:07 am | Edited by: tahrab bin urgez

I just wish I could get some heinies straight from the source. They is good and all, but I hear we get the skunky stuff (from transit).

A friend of mine was in Poland for a semester and got turned on to some local beer that was the equivalent to Busch or something over there (re: cheap, found everywhere). He comes back home and can only get it at the fancy liquor store for ten clams a six.

We need beer underground railroad
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:55 am

Molson Canadian is disgusting. I've never understood why so many people drink it.

My favorite beers are Labatt 50, Kozel, German Weisse bier, and Blanche de Chambly.

But usually I'm too poor for any of those so I get Pabst or Red Cap.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 4:13 am

Old Peculiar is a fave, although it isn't so easy to come by. Plus it's got a little guy on the label who looks like he's kneeling down praying to satan, or something.

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/LA/OldPeculier.htm
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:19 am

I've drank Kingsbury. It is up there with Old Miluakee, Red, White, and Blue and Schlitz for giving you the worst runs you have ever had.

I love Tucher.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:41 am

Kingsbury is THE KING.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 6:01 am

don't drink beer in the summer
at clubs, wearing sandals,
gettin' piss all over my toes -
cause three pints makes me wanna go.

a nice Porto and some Chocolate cake
or Jack on the rocks.

At Gonerfest I had a nice buzz from
a pint of overproof Old Grand Dad.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 2:58 pm

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome is the best beer ever.

Brooklyn Brewery makes some tasty beer including their IPA & Pennant Pale Ale.

Newcastle is an old favorite. Bass is the best of mid-level beers.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:10 pm

I'm gonna have to ask the guy at the party store to order in some of that Winter Welcome.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:27 pm

Winter Welcome looks like this

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_winter_welcome .html

couldn't make the url linky thing work for some reason
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:32 pm

Molson Canadian is GREAT!!! mmmmmm..the taste of Canadah
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:49 pm

has anyone heard of Booty? I found this review, but i'm not sure if they are using "Booty" in a flowery editorial way, or if they are the same beers.

BOOTY BEER
Peeling off a beer bottle label is a bored barfly's pastime. Fannie Beer takes this to another plane. This Belgian Pilsener has a cartoonish image of a woman lifting her skirt plastered to the bottle. Her underpants are made of the same kind of scratch-off material you'd find on a lottery ticket. Taking a coin to her undies reveals a bare set of buns. Sounds like a novelty brew, but there may be more to this beer than booty. It took home the first-place award at the Orlando Beer Festival in November. Although it's hard to find locally, it's currently available at Green's Package (737 Ponce de Leon Ave., Atlanta) and the Vortex (438 Moreland Ave. N.E., Little Five Points). Fannie Beer's official name is L'Alsacienne Sans Culotte, with the last two words meaning "without britches."
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:49 pm

oranjeboom is a dutch beer i like. i don't know why.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:42 pm

My beer economics 101:
Let's face facts, in times of desperation I'd drink fucking deer piss but these are what I prefer:

POORHOUSE: Black Label. I would gladly accept an ice cold Black Label even if I was swimming in Powerball winnings..."old man fishing beer" is not an insult to me. Miller and Iron City are OK as well.

WHAT MOST FOLKS CALL BROKE I CALL NORMAL: Yuengling Lager. Cans over bottles. State pride and great taste. Goes well with all occasions.

POWERBALL MILLIONS OR I JUST SOLD AN OLD WHITE STRIPES 7" ON EBAY: Guinness. It's sorta by default cause Yuengling is already at the top of my price range and I don't have much experience with the more costly stuff. Although Penn Pilsner and Hoegaarden are starting to win me over.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:50 pm

IPA is a seriously GREAT pint! Sam Smith's brown is kool, also, as it don't contain the amount of nasty chemicals that Newcastle does ... I digs Kozel, also, plus loadsa the other Eastern European beers we get in shops over here, as they come in biiig bottles, and taste clean but complex ...
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:56 pm

They don't call Budweiser King of Beers because it's number 2.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 6:52 pm

Newcastle fucks my stomach up....
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 7:18 pm

Budweiser is total swill...
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 7:27 pm

Four Peaks Brewery in Tempe Arizona makes a kickass beer known as the Kiltlifter. I wish that shit was available in the Midwest. Fucking racist fucks.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 7:47 pm

i haven't been fancy beer shopping much in a while, but for readily available good beer here's my choices:

Anchor liberty ale: simply one of the best balanced hoppy beers you'll find at a corner store
Singha: but they charge way too much for it around here
Rogue hazelnut: only for dessert
had some good beers in that fat tire line, forget who makes those but don't go crazy over the fat tire itself
love Bell's when i'm home, especially if my parents are buying

and just to throw it in, i found the best irish whiskey, or really just whiskey period. It's called red breast i think, and it's not that out of hand in price. i think it's like thirty bucks for a fifth which is more than i can afford, but every once in a while you gotta treat yourself. i swear that whiskey changes five wonderful times in your mouth.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 8:30 pm

Good deal Adam, I'll look for you on Sunday. I think I've had the Kraftbrau hefe before and remember it being pretty good.

Fat Tire is kinda like Bell's Oberon...not really all that special, but they sell so damn much of it it allows the two breweries to make lots of other good stuff they couldn't take the $ hit on otherwise.

Sam Smith's Winter Welcome is really damn good. And I'd do just about anything to have Brooklyn Brewery stuff available here...
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 8:37 pm

They call Budweiser the "king of beers" because if they didn't have some high-falutin' name for it nobody would drink the shit!
It's offensive that so many hipster types started drinking domestics to be ironic or save money or whatever and now they've become actual fans.

Root Beer is where it's at.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 8:37 pm

Point
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 9:56 pm

Love root beer. Hate fancy schmancy beers. Spend lotsa money every week on the "swill" that I love. MMM-MMMM-MMMMM! Coffee is also for sissies and girls.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 10:09 pm

Coffee is also for sissies and girls.

Oh no you didn't...
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 10:57 pm

Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale

mmmm. i like that stuff. also a fan of stella. dig on some raspberry lambic, but that shit is fucking expensive and it's a little on the girlydrink side of beer. also, i like abita turbodog. sierra nevada ipa i like as well. boddington's is quite tasty. sam smith's oatmeal stout ist sehr gut.

i also like anything bosco's puts out here. in fact, going there tonight. must have their ipa. mmmm.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 11:12 pm | Edited by: Ladle

Posted: Nov 2, 2005 11:34 pm

Raspberry Lambic is the shit. It is kind of like a cross between beer and champagne. But your right it is way too expensive and kind of sissy.
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 12:54 am

i'd been drinking newcastle for a while but when i was at gonerfest i drank nothing but crappy domestics and found that i could drink a lot more of it, didn't get out of control wasted, and had virtually no hangover.

I'm the opposite. I can drink twice as much Bass as Bud and have half the hangover.
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 9:00 pm

Bhagwan's Best IPA and Scarlet Fire IPA from Big Time Brewery here in Seattle is awsome. Bridgeport IPA is also very good. Let's not forget Rat City IPA from Pacific Rim. Mac&Jack African Amber is really good from the tap. Hodgson's IPA and LaConner IPA are worthy as well. Big Time also makes Old Wooly a barley wine that is really 10-12% beer that they serve in little glasses; it's really popular this time of year. It will fuck you up!! Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 11:03 pm

mmmmm.... framboise!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 11:07 pm | Edited by: elle

framboise!!!!!!!!!!!!

have you ever tried the peach or the cherry kind? i haven't yet, but i'm curious...sounds like it may very well be good.

there is this new seasonal beer they have at bosco's right now that is raaaaaaaather tasty. kind of a toasted marshmallow/creme brulee taste to it. fantastic, not too terribly sweet either. it's called hopgod or something like that. but you'll only wanna drink one because the flavor is a little bit much. but definitely try. mmmm.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 1:00 am

i am a HUGE fan of the framboise! i did try the peach the other day, and must admit, it's not as good as that raspberry.... don't get me wrong, the peach is yummy, but not as panty-wetting good as the framboise. (yes, i typed panty-wetting)

are there any dudes out there who *luuuuv* the lindeman's framboise? or is it just for the chicks?

and attn dudes: win over yr gurl's heart with a bottle of framboise. c'mon, spicen' up the romance, go buy a bottle for her......
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 6:18 am

Happy Holidays
Happy Holidays

Christmas ale and Winterhook, every wanna be brewer has to have some heavy, friuty seasonal special, hate that as much as Starbucks' holiday drip.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 6:21 am

Duvel!
Tastes like whipped cream!

BUY MY PERFUME!
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 7:51 am

lindemans is aight for the ladies. belgian ales like CHIMAY are the best tho. 9.5 percent alcohol bra!!!
Joanna
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 10:18 pm

Chimey is where it's at. Monks brew it I think. Does that make it Jesus Juice? It sho is mighty tasty. Or shall I say, almighty tasty.
Posted: Nov 6, 2005 11:27 pm

Digging the Stella Artois and Kronenburg 1664 now that Memphis bars carry them.

drank the shit out of some weizens over the summer: Wiehenstefan, Paulaner, Flying Dog wheat.

Always down for some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

This thread is making me thirsty.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 12:23 am

Posted: Nov 7, 2005 12:26 am

Stella is indeed a favorite as well as Cafreys Cream of Ireland. But it's becoming near to imposible to find the Caffery's in NYC these days...
Joanna
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 4:26 pm

Stella kicks ass. Had it for the first time in Minneapolis this summer/ early Fall. Young Ave and Celtic Crossing both have it on tap. mmmm...
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 12:45 am

Top Five

1. Chimay
2. Duvell
3. Any Samual Smith
4. Any Rouge
5. La Fin Du Monde (end of the world)
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 12:56 am | Edited by: mikesniper

Deleriem Tremens, fucking great Belgian Beer.

Blue Moon is "Belgian Style" beer made in America and not that great.

La Fin Du Monde is also Belgian Style beer made in N. America, but it's fucking good. So is Hennepin.

Even though I love it, not all Belgian beer is good, some of that bottom-fermented stuff is weird and almost more of a barleywine then beer. And I hate Stella Artois, that's like the Coors Light of Belgium.

If anyone has ever wondered why Belgium has such great beer it's because the German monks moved there after Germany passed a law in the 16th Century banning many ingredients from beer.

I have no problem with people who buy cheap beer, but when people look down on people buying better tasting beer and call them a priss or a snob should check the alcohol content of Old Style, Bud or Leinenkugel vs. a beer like Delerium Tremens or Trippel. Drinking one of those is the equivilent to drinking a 6 pack of cheap beer, for the same cost and less of a hangover.

Mid-range beer I like Guiness, Negra Modelo, and sometimes Sierra Nevada.

As far as the cheap shit goes, I guess I kinda like Miller High Life or Genuine Draft. Budweiser is made from RICE.
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 1:41 am

Jack Daniels anda shot of Jaeger.
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 3:51 am

Bazooka Joe only drinks soy lattes and pomegranate juice.
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 4:09 am

tryi' to live as lomng healty lifre.
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 5:31 am

From the way yer typing looks like you had some mega-soy in yer latte.
Posted: Nov 12, 2005 1:30 pm

Any Providence, RI beer-lovin'-goners out there? There's the great internation beer festival at the convention center today.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:11 am

There's a malt liquor out of the Phillipines called Red Horse that tastes really good, is about 10 bucks a 6 pack and starts to knock you ass down about the 4th one.

I swear they put morphine or opium in Duvel.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 12:29 am

I'm really into wine thesedays. Especially red wine. Two bottles gets one particularly cunted as fuck.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 6:11 am

Molson Canadian is GROSS.
you tryin ta put a Canadian black eye in the gang..?

man, i love Molson.. Gee Crystal.. i thought you were cool....
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 10:55 am

Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:05 am

Listen to the ramonesesque audio..." Fill my Cup".
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:09 am

Go to the downloads button. It will make you laugh. Tongue in the fucking cheek.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:36 am

if you're in Wisconsin (or can find them elsewhere) try Sprecher Special Amber or New Glarus Spotted Cow. i think i'm just getting off a 6 year - cheap beer kick and i've been drinking a lot of the good stuff lately.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 11:39 am

Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:49 pm

molson golden fucking rules!!! i drink it every day. it's an ale and a lager.
brewed with saskatchewan hops. north america's oldest brewery.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:23 pm

I add to Dusty's links...

http://www.capital-brewery.com
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 2:50 pm

Rolling Rock is my favorite and usual beer although I'll indulge in PBR, Dead Guy Ale, Labatts Blue and Molson Golden on a regular basis as well and I love traveling and drinking the local beers (Old Style in Chicago, Lone Star, Iron City in Pitt, etc.).

But c'mon, I love ALL beer and that includes one of my least favorites, Miller Lite, which they serve around here at EVERY public festival. If it's cold enough, any beer is passable as long as it isn't skunky. It's beer for fuck's sake. What are you guys dissing on other's beer for? Why would anyone argue about a beer being "shit"? It's fucking beer and ALL beer is to be celebrated. If you indulge, you're a friend and everyone has different tastes. Smug beer "experts" crack me the fuck up.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 3:47 pm

Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Style Ale - buck fifty for a can, 8% alcohol, as good as it gets.
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:17 pm

Zywiec!! pretty good stuff
Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:26 pm | Edited by: Uncle Spatula

Stellas make for one shitty hangover. Very dirty beers.

I hate micro brews and the whole culture around them, but if you were to put my feet in a washtub full of water and put hot jumper cabels to my nipples, I'd more than likely break down eventually and admit that I REALLY LIKE Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale. God, I feel like a shitball, chruncher, trustafarian just typing that.
Posted: Feb 2, 2006 4:01 am | Edited by: dale

Them Lithuanians brew some deadly freakin' beer.

I loved to have me some New Glarus stuff right now. Maybe a visit to Wisconsin is due.
Posted: Feb 3, 2006 3:02 am

Pretty generic but here goes
1)bohemia
2)negra modelo
3)indio
4)shiner
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 4:40 pm

I drank 4 Busch cans last night. Gah! I feel sorta dragged today...after only 4! I hardly ever drink cheap beer anymore. GOOD beer hangovers are better than cheap beer hangovers.
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 6:35 pm

huber bock...any one seen that crap around at all..?
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 6:36 pm

I keep CD's in old Huber case boxes.
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 6:44 pm

I am partial to beer out of the Eastern Block. Zywiec, Czechvar, and Pilsner Urquelle (which I believe is distributed by Miller). I really like that after bite! Starropramen (sp?) good too. Czech Rebel is a good value cheap-o import. 12 17oz bottles at Surdyk's for a little over $14.
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 7:02 pm

PBR is now available at liquor stores in Vancouver, only it doesn't taste shitty like the stuff in the US, and has an alcohol content of 5.9%.
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 7:36 pm

Zywiec is a friend of mine.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 2:00 am

My faves:
Three Floyds Bubblegum Head
Fin Du Monde
Smithwicks
Brooklyn Ale
Lindemans of any flavour
Rolling Rock
Newcastle
Big Sky Brewery MOOSE DROOL!! The best best best
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 2:13 am | Edited by: Tommy Trouble

Boulevard Pale Ale, you sonsabitches!!!

Gotta go to West Memphis to get it. Makes me miss KC...
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 2:23 am

12 17oz
Actually come to think of it it's 10 17oz, but still a good deal...
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 3:31 am

there's a beer from colorado in cans: dale's pale ale. just had my 1st can of it in massachusetts a couple weeks ago....it was scrumptious. highly recommended.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 12:00 pm

Yuengling
I had a glass off the tap
at a cousins sports bar
plus a killer cheeseburger
and real fries with gravy
hmmmm hmmmm good
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 12:26 pm

there's a beer from colorado in cans: dale's pale ale. just had my 1st can of it in massachusetts a couple weeks ago....it was scrumptious. highly recommended.

I wish more good beer came in cans. For the last few years it seems like the industry has given a lot of lip service to cans being a good thing for good beer, but still not many breweries doing it. Is the equipment that much more expensive?
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 3:29 pm

Ever hear of this stuff?

http://www.bierbitzch.com/index2.html

My cousin owns it. It's actually pretty good (if you can find it).
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:10 pm

The got Stella Artois down at the corner store now. Dunno how it sells compared to the Steel Reserve and Busch 22's cuz I'm pretty sure I'm the only who who buys it there.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:11 pm

I get Stella 6'ers at my bodega. They're only 11.2 oz each! WTF???
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:20 pm

Hey...You're right. They are only 11.2! What the hell? The only other beer I've ever seen in that size were Old Vienna and a couple of the other Canadian budget brands.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:26 pm

Oh yeah-that Founder's is some beautiful tasting beer. Their Dry Hopped ale is amazing. I had some stuff from Williamsburg, Michigan called Manitou that was pretty freakin' nice too.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 7:20 am

I've now decided that next to Bell's-Victory brewing company makes the best damn beer in the country...and maybe the world.

Some day I will get a case of Dale's Pale Ale and walk around town like I own the place.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 4:51 am

DOG FISH HEAD 60 MINUTE IPA. I try other things but this stuff is like old faithful for me the past few months.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 5:41 am

I'm in Chicago for a couple weeks and drank a bunch of Old Style last night.....been pissin out my ass all day. UGH. The northwest has the best beer selection by far.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 1:51 pm | Edited by: No Big Thing

Founder's is some beautiful tasting beer

For sure. The most recent batch of Breakfast Stout just started hitting store shelves here a few days ago. Delicious.

Some day I will get a case of Dale's Pale Ale and walk around town like I own the place.

I'll say it again. More good beer in cans, please.

The northwest has the best beer selection by far.

Maybe as recently as five years ago, but not so much these days. At this point, the Midwest (but mainly Michigan) and the NE both easily rival what's going on in the NW. And there's some pretty amazing stuff in CA too.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:40 pm

Tonite it's Amstel!!!
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 1:44 am

Founder's is some beautiful tasting beer

For sure. The most recent batch of Breakfast Stout just started hitting store shelves here a few days ago. Delicious.

I had one of these last year and couldn't find anymore. I mentioned this to my local beer vendor that it would be out soon for the season. He said he already had it on his list for me. We'll see if it comes in. It's fucking weird that I live in Michigan but sometimes have difficulty getting some Michigan beers....maybe I'll have to take a trip towards Detroit or the other side of the state if all else fails.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 2:11 am

The problem with the Breakfast Stout---and even more so with the even better (and harder to find) Kentucky Breakfast Stout is that Founders simply doesn't have the capacity to bottle all that much of it while still making their year-round brews. Last time they bottled the Kentucky Breakfast Stout, a whopping total of four cases made it to the entirety of the Chicago area (including suburbs). Retailers can order all they want, but almost never get their whole order fulfilled. "Favored" retailers will receive preferential treatment, and the bizarre and arcane alcohol distribution laws that plague most Midwestern states don't help much either.

For aged beers like the Kentucky Breakfast Stout, it's even tougher to produce sizeable quantities because they've only got so much space to spare for a bunch of beer to just sit around in bourbon casks for a relatively long period of time.

The good news is that Founders has secured some additional space and will be moving their operations in the next year or so. I haven't really checked up on the status of this in a while, so I don't have any real specifics on the timing.

I know it's a pretty good haul from Port Huron, but if you've never visited the brewery it's worth a visit. Get a few friends who are willing to take turns playing designated driver and you can make a nice trip down I-69/I-94/whatever state highway gets you up to Holland/Grand Rapids on a weekend and hit Michigan Brewing Co, Dark Horse, Bell's, Arcadia, New Holland, and Founders pretty easily. On your side of the state you could easily make a day trip and hit Kuhnhenn, Jolly Pumpkin, and Arbor Brewing. At pretty much all of these you'll be able to bring back some great stuff in growlers that never, ever gets bottled.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 2:27 am

I did that trip once during the summer am I'm due again. Gotta find a day or two when I can do it again...My shit job schedule isn't the most condusive for such road trips though. I can get a lot of that stuff over here but Founder's seems to be the most difficult. Haven't heard of Kuhnhenn before. Another Michigan brewmaker I'll have to investigate into.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 2:45 am

New Holland

I work 4 miles from this place and have never been. I guess I have lunch figured out for tomorrow.

Oh, and you're a Jolly Pumpkin.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 3:04 am

My faves are Stone IPA and Hale's Pale Ale.

Lately I've been hitting the Pyramid Thunderhead IPA cuz the store by my house has it for $2.18 a double-deuce.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 3:22 am

Hey...You're right. They are only 11.2! What the hell? The only other beer I've ever seen in that size were Old Vienna and a couple of the other Canadian budget brands.

All the Fuller's bottles are 11.2.

The London Porter is pretty rad and the ESB was my favorite beer for a long time and it was on tap at a place I used to go to when I lived in Vegas. This place used to have a special where all the beers were half priced from midnight to 6 and I very much enjoyed drinking good beer at 2.50 a pint.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 3:23 am

New Holland

I work 4 miles from this place and have never been. I guess I have lunch figured out for tomorrow.

Yes....New Holland makes some good stuff. As a matter of fact I'm off to a friend's house to shoot some pool. I'm gonna stop at the "good beer" store on the way up there. I think I'll pick up some kind of New Holland thing.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 3:54 am

I'm jealous. Besides beer, New Holland also makes and sells their own hard stuff. Technically it's classified as brandy so they can pull an end-around some goofy local liquor ordinances, but for all intents and purposes it's vodka. They've got a bunch of different varieties, but they didn't start selling it till I'd moved out of state, so I've never tried it.

you're a Jolly Pumpkin

Gobble, gobble. No, wait...
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 7:56 am

I hate to break the news to you, but the best commercial beer you've ever had was shit next to my worst home brew. I don't know if it's the ingredients (good beer ain't cheap), the lack of additives, or what the fuck, but you haven't had beer until you've had a good home brew. Beer is a lot like bread, ya know, the fresher the the better. Problem is, as lot of brew pubs cut corners on the ingredients, and sell it before its ready. Make it yourself, you can adjust the formula to your taste, and drink it when it's right. I don't brew much anymore, since the laws changed in Tennessee and you can actually buy decent beer now, but the best beer I've ever tasted was home brewed, by myself and others. Commercial beer is just a sham. frankly. I've never had a beer at any price that equalled the stuff I made myself. Bottom line, if you really want to have a transcendental beer experience, brew some at home.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®