Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / how come punk never really embraced the wah wah pedal?
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 4:58 am | Edited by: dan gerous

Seldom to I hear bands break out a wah wah for a solo...why not? Too hippie? They were quite popular in the 90's with the grunge bands but now, not so much.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:08 am

If you're playing fast there's no time to do it. Plus wah wahs remind me of jam bands and baggy madchester type bands.
Though listen to the intro to Swell Maps 'lets build a car' - that's played through a wah wah pedal left 'wahed' if you know what I mean. thats how they got that guitar sound. And its a great sound!
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:22 am

Wah-wahs are great as volume boosters. I use one on my bass to get that Albinified chain-link fence hit sound that the garage rockers just love. In other news, I bought a Big Muff today.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:40 am

A little wah never hurt nobody.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:44 am

In other news, I bought a Big Muff today.

I love those things. I'm gonna get one, one of these days. That, or a R.A.T. ...
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:44 am

Be careful with those Line 6 delays though, kids. They can be used for good or for evil. With great power comes great responsibility.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:45 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

...and as far as wah's go, a Vox was the only one I ever bought that was worth a damn. Wish I still had it.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:47 am

that Albinified chain-link fence hit sound

dude, you should trademark that phrase !
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:47 am

I love those things. I'm gonna get one, one of these days. That, or a R.A.T. ...

Yeah, I've been playing thru a Rat. It's pretty sweet, but I am stoked to hear what the Big Muff is gonna sound like. We played with my friends' band a few months ago and the bassist was just pulling such sweet tones and sounds from his shit. I looked down: Big Muff. Mental note to self finally paid off.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:49 am

dude, you should trademark that phrase !

I should trademark a lot of phrases! I'm a freakin phrase-shifter!
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:50 am

I think you'll be pretty happy with it. Big Muffs are awesome, and don't kill your low end much, unless you want it to, which is the important thing.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 5:51 am

I'm gonna get dork on you real quick, Heir ick; What's your rig?
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 6:25 am

Oh shit, man, it's like this Kustom PA head from the 60s or 70s and two big ass speakers in a cabinet, one of which was replaced and is really nice according to my friend who I bought it off of. I'm pretty bad with gear stuff and I can't remember the name of it. I play a shitty Epiphone bass thru a bunch of pedals (Rat, Danelectro 'pepperoni' overdrive, Boss dd5, and a Morley wah). Most bass players would probably laugh at me, but then again it's basically a noise band. I have this amazing bass my friend gave me that I've never seen one like before, but it's fucked up. I'm gonna try to get it fixed, but it might be pricey.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 6:32 am

I ain't laughin' at all! Sounds pretty cool, and if you can rock it, you can't knock it. I think that Big Muff will serve you well.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 7:37 am

the wah wah on the first ponys lp ruled
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 8:07 am

The wah pedal on the first Stooges record sounds pretty cool.....hippie, but so overboard that it's kinda punk. I guess I'm surprised more people don't use it, too. Again, not everybody will agree with me as to wether those long solos are cool or not...
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 10:04 am

there's wah in a lot of Stones stuff. jesper from endless boogie rocks one constantly and it doesn't sound hippie at all. just totally powerful.

thing about the wah is that you're out there having air sex in front of everybody, so you got to be in it to win it to pull it off. shy folks need not apply.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:16 am

I use both wah and a big muff. The muff actually needs to be rewired, just like my favorite distortion/overdrive, the marshall guv'ner. Guitar World forums dude.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 12:32 pm

Natalie used wah wah in the Tears.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 2:31 pm

I play a shitty Epiphone bass thru a bunch of pedals (Rat, Danelectro 'pepperoni' overdrive, Boss dd5, and a Morley wah). Most bass players would probably laugh at me

No way, dude - I play my bass through some stuff that sounds pretty funny myself. Those little Danelectro peddles are my friend. I like the octave distortion a lot (can't remember what it's called) because it keeps my low end but throws out this crazy wall of noise. (my description skills are less than par) And of course the big muff rules.

I like a little wah if you don't get all silly with it. People just tend to get silly with it. It's actually kinda fun to get silly with it.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 2:45 pm

see this is tha kinda shit i'm talkin' about! is this what you fuckin' kids want? a buncha lamos sittin' around talkin' about tech shit??? the hand i'm disappointed in you. yer outta the band!
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 2:51 pm

Matt, you've never heard the Shit Dogs?

Quite a few punk bands have used wah wah especially for solos.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 2:57 pm

fuck.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 3:20 pm

thing about the wah is that you're out there having air sex in front of everybody, so you got to be in it to win it to pull it off. shy folks need not apply.

No kidding. Watched Danny Doll Rod "pull it off" last night.

Kim Salman has used the wah to excellent effect, but maybe you just gotta be a little more versatile than most "punk rock" guitar players to drop it in a song. Essential for all the Garage Soul stompers though.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 3:20 pm

COSMIC PSYCHOS
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 6:02 pm

dicks guitarist glen taylor used one and it was pretty awesome
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 6:38 pm

No kidding. Watched Danny Doll Rod "pull it off" last night.

something about those phrases should become pull quotes for the dollrods. so appropriate
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 9:00 pm

Wah wahs do amazing things to your feedback. They're also great when your guit. solo comes up and you just kick the switch, leaving it in the treble position to make your tone all piercing and blistering. Punks just got too caught up in the hippie association to realize what a tool it could be.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 10:22 pm

I agree with Lastname. Also, a lot of the guitar sounds Timmy Vulgar gets with Human Eye is done by going thru 2 wah-wahs. You can really get some crazy sounds that way. I need to get another one.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 10:38 pm

A re-post, but an excellent example of that Human Eye wah...
http://www.thesonsabitches.com/music/bs/goner2/humaneye.mp3
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 10:39 pm

Human Eye are probably the best example of modern-day scuzzpunk that uses wah-wah for the good of mankind. They prove that it can be all-out vicious instead of masturbatory. Shouldn't I be posting this at www.garagepunk.com?
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 10:40 pm

Uhhhh... Stooges???
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 10:54 pm

I thought someone already mentioned 'em. Anyway, eric o, can you break the last two threads off into a separate thread about the Stooges? I don't like this mixing up of topics and subtopics within a thread.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:04 pm

Internet OCD?
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:04 pm

Danelectro 'pepperoni' overdrive

I'm glad that sounds cool when used on a bass, because they sound like total shit when used with an actual guitar. Love Danelectro effects, but those mini-pedals have always sound like ass to me.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:07 pm

It doesn't sound that great, I just use it occasionally as an extra fuzz/overload sound on top of the other distortion.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:09 pm

Sorry guys, but fuzz/overload isn't wah-wah. We need to start another topic.

I'M TRYING TO MAKE FUN OF GARAGEPUNK.COM
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:12 pm

Where's Ned Hayden when you need him?

He's like God's gift to simpletons.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:15 pm

People need Ned Hayden? Weird.

Just kidding. I have no idea who Ned Hayden is.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:17 pm

He's sort of like Ned Flanders, but not as funny.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:23 pm

In that case, he deserves his own thread. Moderator, please separate the Ned Hayden portion of this thread into one of its own. Thanks.
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:33 pm

how is wah hippy? cuz hendrix used it? i mean, the reason there's even wah on the first stooges album is becaused they were hendrix obsessed. they admit it. nothing wrong with wah. i use it all the time live and a few times over the course of the dark skies album( there's one wah solo on the vegas thunder album as well).
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:51 pm

I wouldn't say wah is "hippy" so much as it is associated with technical guitar wankery. When I think wah, I think Kirk Hammet from Metallica....or guys of that ilk. "Enter Sandman" comes to mind....
Posted: Oct 31, 2005 11:51 pm

wah happen?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 12:19 am

wah? Nothing happened. Wah the fuck are you talking about?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 12:53 am

yeah, you gotta know how to use it. If you're making your guitar go "WAH WAH WAH WAH" like Rage Against the Machine, that's retarded but when kept in one spot or when used like a flanger like on "Let's Kill Ourselves" it sounds pretty awesome. You can also extend a solo a little bit without getting boring by poppin' in some unexpected wah. I've heard Mudhoney and Cheater Slicks do this.

I'm pretty sure Debris used it alot on Static Disposal.

didn't mean to get too technical. I just like the way it sounds.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 12:55 am

Whammy pedals are also a lot of fun.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 1:08 am

If you're making your guitar go "WAH WAH WAH WAH" like Rage Against the Machine

Very technical.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 1:11 am | Edited by: dan gerous

Also, I'm banned, blocked, restriced and caged from all that is garagepunk.com as well as every form of comunication with kopper. He's probably even got a restraining order against me...all because I took advantage of my moderating privilages. So, posting on that board is no longer an option. Sorry.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:08 am

what the fuck is a whammy pedal, btw? You mean a whammy bar?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:38 am

no whammys! no whammys!
(that's for you, earles)
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:39 am

Crazings! what the fuck does it do?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 5:06 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Check out some Halo of Flies for some cool wah wah geetar with a punk vibe. The Haze had all kindsa awesome sounds. Swell Maps are incredible, but I heard more fuzz than anything.

One of the best live wah wah bands was Screaming Trees during the Buzz Factory tour in 89'. The sound and vibe was heavy, twisted, and real intense. "Black Sun Morning" is a wah wah masterpiece.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:25 am

Monoshock went wah wah wah, think theys pulled it off pretty well too.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:29 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

[img]http://www.musicinstruments.it/processori/thumbnails/Pedale%20Dig iTech%20Whammy%20pedal%20WH4_jpg.jpg[/img] =
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:34 am

I dont know what happened with the ubb code...oh well...dont turn the lovely lovely signal of a rock and roll guitar into ones and zeros before it comes out of your amp...just dont.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 1:53 pm

i fucking LOVE Halo of Flies!!!!!!!!! goddamn guitar!!!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 2:11 pm

listening to a lot of halo of flies recently and a good portion did not stand up. some great shit, but A LOT of crap mixed in.
yeah, wah is hippie. why? because they were invented and used by 'hippies' in the '60s? i guess any amp or guitar made during that period is 'hippie' also.
forgot to mention billy gibbons.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 2:15 pm

I saw Screaming Trees in London in around 89, and they were AWESOME - for being half monster truck (the brothers), for being seriously ear-bleedingly loud, and fer covering The Small Faces' Song of A Baker as an encore!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:18 pm

More funk than hippie.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:33 pm

Depends what you consider "punk"... I could list a few wah-friendly bands.... but I dont want to get into a discussion on what is punk or not. I'm too old.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:33 pm

yeah, arman, I agree. but "singles going nowhere" album is GOOD. m.d. 20/20!???????? fucking A! and that "first show club dreamerz" is damn fine. and the song Headburn??? by the way, that drum intro is total little fury things.

fucking headburn, dude!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:35 pm

Mystery Girls use it, don't they? Doesn't 'Circles in the Sand' go wah wah wah?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:39 pm

The Sreaming Trees were a good band who used a lot of wah. I listened to "Uncle Anesthesia" just last night. Great, underrated record.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 3:50 pm

I disagree about Halo of Flies - pretty much the only AmRep band I can listen to and still dig in the same way as I used to.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 4:53 pm

I bought one a them whammy pedals a year ago...it does harmonies (plays your note plus one a 5th higher or lower or 4th, etc) and octaves (the note you play plus one octave higher or lower, or two octaves) it also detunes. It's cool but I never use the dern thing...I should sell it but I can never bring myself to sell music gear.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 5:56 pm

the only AmRep band I can listen to and still dig

cows? hammerhead? helios creed? melvins? lubricated goat?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:07 pm

Try the Big Muff. I am Jebe. Hear me rawr... "RAWR!"

http://guitarpedal.com/el-bigmuff.html
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:27 pm

"cows? hammerhead? helios creed? melvins? lubricated goat?"

Exactly!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 6:53 pm

truth: arman, do you really sit home today and listen to lubricated goat? i need to know this 'cos if so i'm making you a mix tape.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 7:41 pm | Edited by: Mr E Action

Hazelmyer used the wah-wah the right way. There are no crappy Halo of Flies songs....none..
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:01 pm

What's a good fuzz pedal that you would recommend?
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:08 pm

What's a good fuzz pedal that you would recommend?
It depends what you want it for. The Big Muff is great, but if you play a lot of chords, the notes are pretty indistinguishable (unless that's what you're going for). But it sounds great if you're only playing 1 or 2 strings at a time and want tons of tone.
I usually play my Fuzz Face more, though. The Big Muff is sometimes overkill...
But my NUMBER 1 favorite is a Roger Mayer pedal I have called Mongoose Fuzz (I don't know how easy they are to find or anything), but it's some smooooth distortion!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:20 pm

Pedals suck, period. Unless it's a stage tuner.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:28 pm

Pedals are fun. I even have a few of those little Danelectro pedals people were talking about (I got em for $10 a piece and had to get a few).
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:35 pm

The BEST of those little Danelctro effects (which granted isn't usually saying that much) is the Rocky Road Spinning Speaker! I sometimes use that just for some cool distortion and barely have the spinning speaker effect on.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:39 pm | Edited by: Crystal Lake

I have the Rocky Road for my electronic piano, but it's kinda annoying how much boost there is when you turn it on. There's some modification you can do that fixes it, but I'm lazy. It's kinda busted, too, since those little things seem to have a limited lifespan of a year or two before they crap out. Since it stopped working very well I've been using an Electroharmonix Pulsar tremolo thing, which is pretty nice. Dunno how it would be with a guitar, though.
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:47 pm

yeah electroharmonix! those dudes are motherfuckers!
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 8:50 pm

but it's kinda annoying how much boost there is when you turn it on

Definitely! And I'm definitely too lazy for the mod, too...
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:31 pm

My answer is, punks don't play well enough to use distortion pedals... they make distortion by sheer volume...

I love the Big Muff! My old bandmate had one that was still in the wooden crate, that I was playing with, and she felt bad about having had it for so long so she took it to San Fran with her and gave it back to the original owner... who had completely forgotten about it! But then she & my other old bandmate gave me another one for Xmas last year cus I was so sad it was gone...

Pedals suck, period. Unless it's a stage tuner.

But...Without pedals, there would not be the signature Dave Shannon sound we all love so much... although the Slicks aren't really "punk rock," the distortion is essential to their sound...
Posted: Nov 1, 2005 9:36 pm

I love the Big Muff!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the pedal, you mean...
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:04 am | Edited by: Uptight White

I love the Big Muff!

Not just the pedal. I came of age before landing strip became the gold standard.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:13 am

though I mentioned it earlier I gotta re-mention the Marshall Guv'ner. Anyone used one? AWESOME! It's like if a big muff and a ratt fucked! Gross!
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:35 am

I play through a "hot-rodded" sears silvertone tubed head (though that goes without saying) and a silvertone cabinet with two replacement celestion greenback speakers. I'm no gear head and I didn't do the mods, but I did trade my Fender Roc 1000 half stack (barf!) for it. I personally think I came out the weiner. Am I?
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:30 am

I play through an Alden amp that I won through a contest because I'm too poor to afford an amp. Wah!
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 10:29 am

Tommy Chong in Cheech and Chong. Maxed out long hair stoner.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:37 pm

Hey Brad, do you have a Bandit...that's what I got...not a bad amp at all.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 6:14 pm

do you really sit home today and listen to lubricated goat

not 'today', but yes i do.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 6:24 pm

arman, i'm tearing up on this one. you're delightfully old school, man, keeping it real! it's awesome.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 7:40 pm

Hey Brad, do you have a Bandit...that's what I got...not a bad amp at all.

I had a Bandit and they're pieces of fucking shit.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 8:41 pm

Call the wah-wahmbulance you crybabies.
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 8:47 pm

I wah wah wah wah wonder!
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 8:50 pm

Why?
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 9:13 pm

thanks jenna. now where's my tape?
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 9:17 pm

ScotchGuard makes a good wahwahwahwahwahwahwah pedal...
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 5:29 pm

a tank of freon is better. not ony do you get wah wah, but you drool like a drummer...i mean retard.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 1:49 am

What's a good wah anyway?
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 2:12 am

Vox. Hands down. Or model glue in a plastic baggie...
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 6:09 am

Anybody know how Chrome did all those crazy fading in and out guitar solo's? Sounds like wah wah-age, but through some really heavy delay or an echoplex. Or like it was all acheived through overdubs or post-production mastering or something.

I like the constant barrage of wah on Union Carbide Productions "In The Air Tonight" record.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 4:20 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Anybody know how Chrome did all those crazy fading in and out guitar solo's?

I examined (more like tried to reverse engineer) Helios Creed's rig during the Chrome tour in 1998 as well as his solo tour in 1999. Aside from the array flange and wah pedals, he plays his SG through a series of an analog and digital synths. They also did so much production on the stuff that I doubt anybody could really nail it again. "Anorexic Sacrifice" is an eerie flange/delay masterpiece.

Gibson Bros. also have a great contribution, one of my all time faves. A song so with so much wah that I figured they had to be some Northwest grunge band. "Dirt Preacher" showcased their pedal to the medal expertise on Dedicated Fool.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 9:32 pm

Hey at least I didn't say "I love my Big Muff"... oops I just said it!
Hahaha
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 8:25 pm

I saw Tony Joe White a few weeks ago, and man, when he hit that wah wah, EEEEE-YOW!! It was apocalyptic! He blew up his amp too, after joking about how it couldn't take all that swamp rock. The next Fender they brought out was actaully SMALLER, but seemed to hold up OK, although I think he may have turned down a tad.

The man is a master.

Skip Pitts, the Theme Fron Shaft guy, is right up there in the wah wah hall of fame too.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 8:35 pm

i love tony joe white! thanks to eric for turning me on to him. i just ordered a few other items from the greta sepia tone records.

tony joe wrote the dedication for my roger miller book.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 8:53 pm

I think it was James Arthur who told me one time that a Morley wah could be rigged so it runs in a loop and the sound is really out-of-this-world. Anyone else on here ever do that?
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 9:03 pm

i discovered tony joe white via ELVIS's rendition of "polk salad annie" and i have been obsessed w/ all things from the delta since then.
thanks, elvis!
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 9:32 pm | Edited by: Crystal Lake

I think it was James Arthur who told me one time that a Morley wah could be rigged so it runs in a loop and the sound is really out-of-this-world. Anyone else on here ever do that?'

Someone elaborate on this, please! My dad gave me a Morley wah a while back and I don't have the coordination to make it work. Less effort is good.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 9:33 pm

What's a good wah anyway?

Vox. Hands down. Or model glue in a plastic baggie...

Have you heard these, Robin? I picked one up not too long ago. It's pretty bad ass.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 9:37 pm

You know, man? I have not. I'll trust you on the sound, but Vox is super durable (played that thing forever and never got a sctatchy pot), is this one?
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 9:55 pm

Yeah, it is. Mike Fuller says on that page how he went about developing it. The Fulltone is basically a modern/more durable copy of the old Vox Clyde signature wah. The newer style Vox's (70's - present) sound a little different, but I think they're more durable. If you have one of those old 60's Vox's though, guard it with your life!
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 10:28 pm

I had a newer one. But I traded it and some cash for an effects processor.
D-U-M-B.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 10:36 pm

Redd Kross
Born Innocent

This is one of the best punk records ever made and there is wah all over it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®