Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The party store is on the corner
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 8:43 pm

Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:24 pm

And while were at it. I think "party store" is a Michigan term for a convienience store. I've heard Wisconsinners refer to them as pantry or mini-market...Californians call 'em Stop-n-shops...Brits calling them package stores...
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:29 pm

I think they are called package stores in Atlanta, or even most of GA as well. I'm a Californian by birth n upbringing, and I refer to them as convenience stores or 7-11's - the way everyone in the South seems to refer to soda/pop/cola as Coke regardless of the actual brand or beverage. Since Stop N Shop is a chain I've seen in CT, I'm willing to guess them Yankees call "party stores" stop n shops as well
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:36 pm

convenience store
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:41 pm | Edited by: dale

Yeah...I always figured Stop-n-Shop was an east coast thing (Modern Lovers "Roadrunner") but I've heard some Cali folks call them that too (as well as 7-11).

I had some visitors from Pittsburgh here laugh everytime I refered to them as "party store".
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:49 pm

when i first started going to detroit and people told me to go to the party store, i was literally looking for the kind of place that sells balloons and pin the tail on the donkey games!
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:50 pm

In Massachussetts, they call liquor stores "package stores." ... I see Atlanta calls them that too. I never got that. Package of alcohol? Party store, now that makes sense. We call them "carryouts" and have a lot that you can drive through, so you don't have to stop drinking and driving while you're restocking... We had one on the corner when I was a teenager, they were getting ready to sell me alcohol when I was 15!! (I developed early)...but my older brother busted me out! It was probably a good thing he did, though, or I'd have spent more of my teens drunk than I did as it were, stealing from my friends' parents...

Dana worked at a Stop n Shop when he lived in Boston.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:53 pm

Oh...and I call it pop. Apparently Faygo had a lot to do with that tag (at least in Michigan).
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 9:56 pm

Technically a liquor store is a "package store", as defined by ISO standards. Every business has what's called a "SIC" code (for all manner of reasons), and liquor store industries are defined as "Package Stores".

Don't know about y'all, but down here we usually call convienence stores one of three things: "the store", "the Mapco" (regardless of business name), and "the gas station".
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:07 pm

The first band I was in back in high school had a song called "It's Called Soda, Motherfucker"....seriously it is. Fuck pop...
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:08 pm

stop n' shop is a huge grocery chain in boston. when my sister lived in brookline she used to do her shopping at the one mentioned in roadrunner.

package stores (or "packies") are liquor stores. so named because they sell "packaged liquor" owing to an archane law that in massachusetts a bottle of liquor or wine has to leave the store in a brown paper bag. nice repressed puritanical guilt. don't know if they ever got around to repealing it but it was still in effect the last time i was back there.

everything else is a convenience store, unless it's attached to a gas station in which case it becomes a mini-mart. no matter how big, no matter how small.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:13 pm | Edited by: clubber lang

I had some visitors from Pittsburgh here laugh everytime I refered to them as "party store".
blunt wraps, beer/liquor, ice, plastic cups, smokes, snacks......

PARTY STORE!!!

soda has a better ring to it than pop.
and calling a pepsi a coke is just inbred
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Incidentally, the SIC system was replaced in 1997 by the NAICS number. Package Store was changed to "Beer, Wine, and Liquor Stores".

everything else is a convenience store, unless it's attached to a gas station in which case it becomes a mini-mart. no matter how big, no matter how small.
What about travel plazas?
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:17 pm

My old band had a song called "Party Store". Whenever we played out of state people thought it was about balloons and streamers-not liquor and cigarettes.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:21 pm

we've always call them "Mood Fart(s)" 'cause Food Mart is funnier when you switch the first two letters.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:22 pm

What about travel plazas?

don't have 'em in massachusetts. only rest stops.
in new hampshire, just over the border on every interstate is the state liquor store. no tax booze on the highway. live free and die.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:37 pm

The first time I went to WI, everyone called ATMs "time machines." At first I thought it was some slice of unfortunate and dumb slang, but then I later found out that "time" was "TYME" -- some sort of bank-related acronym. There's still no excuse for calling a drinking fountain a "bubbler," though. Faygs.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:43 pm

I still don't get why everybody gotta call it an ATM "machine" anyway. The "M' already stands for machine. Fuckin' idiots.
Posted: Oct 25, 2005 10:58 pm

You tell 'em, Andy Rooney.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 12:03 am

I still don't get why everybody gotta call it an ATM "machine" anyway.

That's a huge pet peeve of mine.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 12:13 am

For the record, Chicago has TYME machines. It ain't just a Wisconsin thing... I also think "TIME MACHINE" sounds a lot cooler than "ATM"!

AND SODA CAME FROM SODA-POP DUMMIES! "POP" is more fun to say, but I usually say "Soda" :-(
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 12:29 am

You tell 'em, Andy Rooney. Man, you made my wife laugh over my shoulder.

Party stores I've only heard of in Michigan, and like Pony said, it's all about partying and getting fucked up.

Pop I used to say, then I changed to soda when I found out it was all northren learned. But, motherfuckers that order a Coke Coke, goddamn.

Can't buy alcohol here after 7pm on Christmas eve. Goddamn.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 12:31 am | Edited by: dale

Useless,

I believe they moved the alcohol on Christmas Eve in Michigan law up to 9pm.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 12:48 am

Yer just talkin' Manitowac, 'cause I don't know nobody who sez CRICK! And there are lots of Open Pantry convenience stores in Milwaukee w/ no gas.

Down south it's all about the BEER STORE!
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:04 am

Kellner says Pantry.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:14 am

I've never heard anyone in Chicago say "TYME machine," but then again, I've only lived here for a year and don't talk to anyone other than the same 10 or so people. My ma says "crick." I say "pop." I've also been told that I say "Ellinoy" instead of "Illinois." I think it's weird when people call the grocery store "the market" and I don't understand the "warsh" vs. "wash" thing, either.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:16 am | Edited by: paulyjerkface

Eric, I haven't either. But I did use a TYME Machine last time I was in Chicago... Hadn't seen one of those in a long time! You probably heard that "slang" from me... used to live next door to one, and whenever I needed money I was off to the time machine!

"WARSH" is one that that actually does kind of piss me off... Almost as much "IDEAR"! What's with that fucking shit?!??
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:21 am

I'm with ya Paul. "Warsh" really pisses me off too.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:27 am

Really? ONLY words do it for me.

I hate going to bars when there isn't a show going on, what a fucking bore. I also hate when people say "Let's go to the bars!"
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:42 am

I first heard the TYME thing from Trickknee and Richard, which is why I thought it was some sorta personal slang. (They kept calling pot "Hawkwind" -- something I'd never heard before that point, either).

I like going to the bar! It makes me feel like I'm doing something more important than drinking myself stupid when, in reality, that's all I'm doing, albeit somewhere other than my own apartment. Paying too much money for drinks and having to endure mostly people I don't like is retarded, but I can kid myself into thinking I'm social for doing it.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:47 am

I'm not, but thanks for your concern.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:53 am

The last thing I want to be is "social", so that makes sense.. Going to a bar is probably the least fun/important thing I could do... If there's a show, a friend is DJ'ing, or something like that of course it's different, but just going to bar to "go out" is something I rarely do, and it makes me happy.

I also think non-bar shows are a thousand times more fun.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:57 am

I tend to get social when I drink, but usually in a very stupid and annoying way, so it's fun. Basement/house shows are the best. I'm gonna go take my alcoholism to my friend's house now so I can finish the three beers I have in my fridge.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 1:58 am

And I AM an alcoholic... at least to some degree.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 2:05 am

Yep, in MI its party store. I used to say pop but now I say soda to sound less like a northern hick (and dale, you're right, the faygo company is responsible for northerners calling it pop, I believe they also introduced the world to red pop!!!)

I hear "warsh" especially from UP relatives. What about "sauve" for butter/margarine? Maybe ya gotta be from da Soo, heh? (in the Soo its "heh", across the border its "eh")

I 'bout haddit!
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 2:42 am

I lived in Chicago for-ev-ah up until 2 years ago. I never heard THYME but I must admit, I love the fayges and tyght shit like that.... (anyone reading this like Bible of the Devil?)

I don't mind drinking outside a bar, because bars can suck w/ their smokiness and horribly loud music. and, well, of course i have the luxury of working at a brewery and drinking good beer for free! (ipswich ale! yeay!) there's no party stores needed, yet i find myself a slave of soda pop sales. yeah, that's right, i sell soda pop.i actually prefer if you'd just go ahead and say "soda pop"...just spit it out.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 6:02 am

Dale, Goddamn right I can buy alcohol until 9pm on December 24th! Fuckin anti-semites. I wish Xtians would make buying chocolate bunnies illegal in April/March. The reason for the season.

Why is cold beer more expensive than warm beer in Indiana?
Why do you have to have a membership to drink at a bar in North Carolina?
Why do you have to buy a sixer as takeout at a bar in Philly?
Why is there 3.2% alcohol beer in Colorado gas stations and grocery stores?
Why can't I buy alcohol before noon on Sundays in Michigan?

The answer is clear: Las Vegas.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 3:46 pm

This string just reminded me- the other day I saw this dude on the corner waiting for the light to change. He's got a 40 oz in a paper bag in his hand. He's got some little dudes with him (kids? grandkids? I couldn't tell, the guy looked pretty 'ate up' as my brother would say) and the little dudes have their SODAS (I hope!) in PAPER BAGS, too.... chips off the old block. Never seen anything like it.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:02 pm

papers bags must be like a ghetto coozy cup.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:06 pm

Here in the NW, well where I am anyway, it's convenience store, the plaid (Plaid Pantry), beer store-I think location & level of sobriety have a lot to do with it. I have always said soda pop. "warsh" has always pissed me off. Some family members of mine in "Warshington" say it all the time.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:22 pm

Masshole slang:

Liquor Store -- Package Store or Packie

I've seen lots of convenience stores called "SPAS" or "SUPERETTES". There used to be a place down the street from me called "Babe's Spa" and I always pictured a bunch of fat chicks in towels with mud masks on their faces ('cuz the TV "Babes" was on Fox at the time and it was about fat chicks).

Soda is "tonic". It's wicked gay.

I think the only local slang I use is "wicked" as a superlative. Once in a while I get the accent, 'cuz I am a townie, after all, but for the most part I don't sound like I'm from here at all. My folks, on the other hand . . .
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:23 pm

Erm, we don't call 'em "package store" ... Us Brits have a tendency to simplify things, so we'd just generally say "the shop", in the same way as any daily rag is refered to as "the paper", i.e. "I'm going over the shop for some beer", or "Where did you put the paper?"

I likes the mini-mart at Faxon/N McLean - funny guys! Excellent beer selection ... Also, the "package store" opposite RP Tracks carries PBR longnecks, good beef jerky, and black-packet American Spirits, which is my fave TV watching combo when in Memphis (plus some schwag, obviously) ...
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:24 pm

bodega
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:26 pm

Or, you may hear us refer to "the offie", which is short for "off licence", as in a place which has a license to sell beer/spirits for consumption off the premises ...

D'oh, shite day at work ...
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:47 pm

Yeah, never heard 'em called 'package stores' either. In Australia they're called 'milk bars'!
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:53 pm

When I was growing up in Green Bay, it was all about going to the OP and my mom going to the tyme machine (which she still says to this day, even though there are no tyme machines where she lives).
In Wausau, spent much time hanging out at KT (Kwik Trip) and in Minneapolis, people always going to SA (SuperAmerica). But these abbreviations were basically used for whatever gas station/conv store was closest.
Otherwise, it's always been going to the store, whether it's liquor, grocery, or convenience.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:54 pm

Once in a while I get the accent,

that's how my ex used to know when i was drunk, the accent would come back. the phrase "wicked pissah" was always a dead give away.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 4:57 pm

Yeah, when I'm drunk or angry, the Malden Townie-Bitch comes out!!!
I saw a great near-catfight outside a bar in Malden a couple weeks ago. Girls yelling "You don't KNOW me!" and "You fuckin' whore!" at each other. Brilliant.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 6:17 pm

Could've swore I heard a brit call it a package store. They had been living in the states awhile but that time though.

Party Store is still my standard though.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 6:25 pm

Dang it took a long time for a New Yorker to pipe in with "bodega".

The site below is good not only for Pittsburgh but much of the eastern Ohio & West Virginia slang & accents:

www.pittsburghese.com
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 6:32 pm

It's much more common to hear "deli" around here.
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 7:18 pm

Convenient store or store
Grocery store = HEB
Soda = because I got tired of people giving me shit for being raised to say COKE! And POP sounds gay as hell
I do warsh my clothes, ya'll, I'm from Texas [but we could go on forever with those]
Oh and Mike Combs ‘drawls’ his [awesome] pictures..that one kills me and

MY peeve is “Wanna go see the mariachi band?” --- uh yes, dumb-shit [from Texas, bordering state to MEXICO with appx 32% of [legal] Hispanic origin] -- I would like to go see the Mexican band band.
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 4:18 am

living in Dearborn these days I refer to them all as an oasis or thr carpet merchant
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 10:33 am

I like this response:

the only time i use pop is when i pop a cap in someones ass for calling it pop....its soda
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 10:52 am

Soder

Pimp Juice

Sugar - Water

fizzy drink

carbonated beverage

sweet drink

fizzies

polly pop

bellywasher

liquid crack

trash

sissy water

magic fizz juice

bubbles

fizzy lifting drink

fundango

dope

fizzpop

crack

bubble water

Bubble Juice

go juice

Refreshing Beverage

Cocaine

gutwash

squeeze

motor oil

tooth rot

sweet colored water

bouncy bubbly beverage
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 1:00 pm

Posted: Oct 27, 2005 2:19 pm

satin?
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 7:43 pm

Since I started dating a wisconsinite, my life is one big laff riot full of wacky miscommunications and different pronunciations!!! Within the last month or so, I've been laughed at for saying I had to go to the WASHROOM instead of the american style "restroom", pronouncing "DECAL" how it's supposed to be said (like "deckle", not "dee-cal"), and when using the letter Z, saying "zed" instead of "zee" (I think he though I was making that one up at first). THE WORLD IS GOING KRAYZEEEE!
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 3:27 am

i say dee-cal! of course i spent a good amount of my childhood up in winnipeg. could i have a serviette??? would about some nasty ass corn syrup on my flapjacks.
in canada, when yer in fourth grade yer a grade fourer, fuct!
i started in kentucky, stay some time on the great canadian prairie, now i'm at the mid-way point in good old small town michigan
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 5:11 pm

http://smashintransistors.homestead.com/02_-_Track_2.mp3

A really rough take from last night...Extolling the virtures of WORKING in a party store.
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 5:22 pm

Since I started dating a wisconsinite, my life is one big laff riot full of wacky miscommunications and different pronunciations!!!

Did ya ask him what a "bubbler" is?
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 5:25 pm

http://smashintransistors.homestead.com/02_-_Track_2.mp3

A really rough take from last night...Extolling the virtures of WORKING in a party store.

Oh...and this is the only "old" song my "new" band is doing (I realized I had already talked about about the song somewhere else in this thread.)

Yeah...Last night was the first night the 3 of us all got together to jam. Now looking for a second guitarist and/or keyboardist...
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 6:35 pm

One thing that used to drive me crazy in Chicago was how people would call Jewel "Jewels" and Dominics "Dominic".
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 7:29 pm

One thing that used to drive me crazy in Chicago was how people would call Jewel "Jewels" and Dominics "Dominic".

I remember my cousins saying something about shopping "at the Jewel." That's what my family all called it: "The Jewel." Is that a Chicago thing or an immigrant thing?
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 8:47 pm

dale, the brain has landed
I repeat the brain has landed
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 8:50 pm

Yep...He called me from there last Friday. Said he stopped off at the Roger Miller Museum in Oklahoma. You guys fuckin' partied down yet or what?
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 8:58 pm

I hung out with him last Friday at a Manic Hispanic show which I was working (and drinking) and he was merely drinking.

Was gonna call him today to see what was up?
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 9:03 pm

Has he been in a chipper mood? He was extra dark (I mean even for his usual gloomy self) before he left.

Tell him I think I REALLY AM gonna set fire to the store soon. Also, tell him it's fucking 15 degrees here, 30 mile wind gusts and 0 fahrenheit windchill (and yes there is about 2 inches of snow on the ground)
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 9:04 pm

I remember my cousins saying something about shopping "at the Jewel." That's what my family all called it: "The Jewel." Is that a Chicago thing or an immigrant thing?

i've noticed people tend to call it "the jewels" or rather "da joolz" which i find hilarious as "the jewels" was slang for testicles where i grew up.
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 10:21 pm

When I moved back from NYC I was still refering to them as bodegas. Sometimes refer to them as gypsy marts and people knmow what im talking about.
Posted: Nov 24, 2005 11:20 pm

Down south it's all about the BEER STORE!

In Ontario that's what they're actually called, THE BEER STORE. Which is what people always called them anyway, back when they were "Brewer's Retail". (Hamilton slang circa mid 80s - "Pop Shop", with liquor stores referred to as "The Hobby Shop")
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 12:56 am

people from NYC hate when you say "pop" they look at you like yer a
half-a-fag. soda is fer chumps!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 1:03 am

In Toronto they're called corner stores. In Montreal they're known as deps, which is short for depanneur. I don't know about the rest of Canada.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 1:42 am

Short order resturaunts in Michigan that call themselves Coney Island are a particular type. In Michigan a coney island is what we call a chili dog. Joints that specailize in chili dogs call themselves coney islands.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 1:44 am

...and some of my favorite greasy spoons in this state consider themselves a Coney Island place.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 2:45 am

You know it...plenty of Wisconsinners have ate at the downtown Port Huron Coney Island too.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 2:53 am

National Coney Island's are the best in MI!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 3:09 am

National's are right up there. Really, any place that uses Kogel's or Kolwalski dogs is usually on the right tip.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 4:01 am

i prefer "soda coke" bought at a "party n go" Hey Pony, gimme some Pepsi Coke... i want to mix it with my Old Milwaukee's Best (my favorite of all time)

fry skills vs. grill skills.
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 4:04 am

oh yea.. peopl still have a terrible time with "Melk" and "Pellow"..

IDIOTS..!!! i hate it when jerks say " i'll have a glass of melk.." or "I need a pellow to sleep on.." eat your basghetti and prentzles you fucks!!!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 4:05 am

This is so untrue. There is a built-in protocol down here for that:
"I'd like a coke."
"What kind?"
"A sprite, please."
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®