Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / hungry, again?
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 8:26 am

new week and I'm faced with the same old menu choices.

anybody got a baked hash browns recipe?

how about a tasty fry pan hamburger?

or what else you guys and gals thinkin' 'bout eatin' this week?
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 8:39 am

i'm hungry too and was gonna go get a bowl of cereal.

baked hash browns? you don't fry? if you boil or bake potatoes the night before (or if they are part of your dinner), the next day, when they are cold, they cut up better - you can use a box grater to grate them and then spread the shreds on a non-stick baking pan in the oven and get a sort of potato gallette

or you could slice them, or chop them and do it home-fries style, like in diners, with onions and perhaps green peppers, diced. they work better on the grill or skillet too.

using a pre-cooked potato will yield a crispy outside and tender inside.

if you grate raw potatoes, the moisture in them will have to be squeezed out and the potatoes will discolor as you grate them. you'd HAVE to fry them in a super hot pan, too.

always use cast iron skillets if you can. better heat distribution.

of course, you can always buy tater tots - they're good baked or fried.

my food this week? my lunch buddy returns from the tundra so i bet we'll go have some great mexican tomorrow! i'm still in TN, so i plan on sneaking in the guilty pleasure of cracker barrel before i head up north...
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 10:52 am

30-33 oz bag of frozen hash browns, thawed.
1 can of creme of chicken soup
16 oz of sour creme
1 onion diced
8 oz of graded chedder cheese

grease a rectangular cake pan

bake a 350 degrees F until top is brown and crusty

found this in one of those "red book" type zines.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:12 pm

bkondrak - those are better known as hash brown casserole or funeral potaters
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:15 pm

i made some green curry last night. lots of brocolli, jalapenos and tofu. lets just say i had an EXPLOSIVE morning.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:27 pm

i had 3 grilled cheese sandwhiches, half a bag of potato chips and water. i need to go to the grocery store in the worst way imaginable. i'm about ready to put some tobasco on my shoes and gnaw on them.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:34 pm

pan fry hamburger:

do this in a well ventilated kitchen, or outside.

make burger patty, prefer 1/2 pound of ground round. press it out so it's like 6 inches across. it will shrink.

heat CAST IRON skillet until very, very, very hot. throw burger in there. it will smoke like crazy. after maybe 90 seconds, flip it, add cheese. turn burner off. after 60-90 more seconds, remove patty. let pan cool a little. take bun, split open, and mash it face down on the pan, soaking up burger grease and getting a nice golden toastiness on the face.

dress burger to your liking. devour.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:55 pm

Had some homemade chickpea curry last night (lots of cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon and cloves!) with some samosas from the Indian grocer. We hit Trader Joe's in time for some free samples of pumpkin cheesecake.

You know that I love? That garlic-chili curry paste that's on the table in a lot of Vietnamese restaurants. That stuff kills!
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 5:37 pm

y'all are gonna laugh at me, but I bring in a Weight Watchers, Lean
Cuisine, or Healthy Choice lunch EVERY DAY. I'm too lazy to make a
decent lunch at home, and too cheap to buy lunch downtown every day
(not to mention, most of the sandwiches around here at 3x bigger than
they should be, for those of us who are weight conscious). About once
a week I treat myself to sushi or pizza.

Are these things going to kill me and leave a fabulously preserved
corpse? I eat pretty healthy other than these 5 meals a week.

Andrea
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 7:18 pm

For dinner last night I went French, I had fresh grapes and apples along with soft cheese and crackers. It was yummy, fresh and so easy.

This afternoon for lunch I had a roast beef on whole grain bead.

Tonight veggie lasagna.

I have come to believe that those dinners do nothing to help you control or lose weight, you just end up hungry.
My new plan is to eat off smaller plates, not stuff myself, go to the gym at least three times a week, and eat fresh food. Oh I am going to try to drink wine, not beer. I think I will drink in more moderate amounts and one beer is like eating a loaf of bread.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 7:27 pm

The Thing With Two Heads brought these local hot dogs back from PA a few months ago and recently brought them outta the freezer and have been eating them. They are called Seacrest (is that right 16?) and they're very firm and meaty and real. Superb dogs, amen.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 7:54 pm

I'm just about to go grab a piece of beer-battered halibut with chips from the marina near my office.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Chicken Salad with 'slivered toasted almonds & swiss' on pita from the OHSU Marquam Cafe. High-end hospital cuisine.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 9:34 pm

Arghallarghhhhhhh <drool>

Mmmmmmm....delicious possssst.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 12:44 am

had a great korean lunch today. had to calm the kim chee jones i couldn't calm whilst in memphis.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 4:44 am

m just about to go grab a piece of beer-battered halibut with chips from the

Did a home cooked version of the same last Saturday night, awesome.
Damn Halibut is the stuff, but if it's not on special it's at $12/lp, so I don't use the little fryer too often.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 4:47 am

had to calm the kim chee jones
Korean joints all over the place here in C-town.
like the places that bring out 4 or 5 little dishes
of tasties, then the main entre.

Used to have a place near me run by two old sisters
and would take the kid in on Fridays were he would have the tempura and I would go for the seaweed soup.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 4:59 am

There's a Kim Chee stew at Dok Suni on 1st Ave that cures the common cold. At least for a while.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 5:10 am

a little hint for ya'll burger fans....
throw an egg or two and toss it in the ground beef. makes it taste a little richer and gives it a softer texture
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 6:21 am

1/2 onion minced
1/4 celery chopped fine
1 and 1/2 T butter
1 can cream celery soup
1/3 milk
3 oz cream cheese
4 cups frozen hash browns
1/2 cup shredded chedder
saute onion and celery in butter add soup, milk and cream cheese cook on low until mixed.
mix with frozen hash browns.
pour into 10x7x1 1/2 baking dish
cover with foil
bake 1 hour 15 min at 350
remove foil, top with cheese,
return to oven to melt cheese.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 4:08 pm

Kim Chee in Memhis can be found. There is a place that is kinna south east memphis. I personally don't like the stuff, but the other food there was really good. And the people are super nice.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 4:10 pm

yr prob talkin that place winchester... good. cook food on the table shit. lotsa pickled whatever & spicy.

can buy the real deal closer to midtwn- krean market on summer... look for the weird non-jap characters... northside. BIG jar o' kmchee fr 4 buck!
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 6:49 am

weird non-jap characters
worked with a pack of south Koreans and when the ladies found out I dug Chee they would drop off their home canned versions after I lent them a hand with the sweat work. Nice peeps, hard working, but none wanted to talk Korean Zen with me.
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 6:53 am

next time anyone has a cook out - kim chee is amazing on hot dogs and hamburgers. try it. if you are in nyc, you can taste it from the hot dog guy on stanton/ludlow thurs-sat 11 pm onwards....

its the absolute best condiment.
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 3:45 pm

I am in South Korea right now and have been eatingmass amounts of kim chee, and I must admit it is kinda good.
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 3:56 pm

kim chee jones

didn't he ride the bench on some of those keith lee led memphis state teams?
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 3:59 pm

Just to make you all jealous, I'm headed to Bryant's in 1 hour and two mintues.......not that I'm counting or anything
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 9:28 pm

Always. Yesterday they bought us lunch, fried chicken from the place next door... yum. I swear they must fry them in bacon grease.
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 9:33 pm

I can still smell the grease on my clothes from lunch. Bologna, egg and cheese sandwich w/ grits on the side. Heavenly.
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 9:47 pm

bass urgez scott got some shark steaks for the weekend. Surfers revenge.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®