| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I'm moving to the suburbs
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 5:17 pm

Next weekend.

Just saying.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 5:21 pm

there goes the neighborhood
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 5:41 pm

Berwyn? How are you gonna get to work?? hitching a ride from an albatross?
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 5:46 pm

roller blades!!!!!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 5:51 pm

You never saw my sweet ride? The 88 Ford Tempo.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 6:25 pm

norah, marriage AND suburbs? here come the babies!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 6:32 pm

haha... good, we need something to eat besides Ramen.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 6:33 pm

awwww............. awesome!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:15 pm

Berwyn's right next to the city, I wouldn't even call it a burb. Congrats on the new house! You gotta yard now, Norah? I think the cement geese come before the kids, though.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:28 pm

I know, it's gonna be awesome. The yard isn't huge, but it's big enough for a small garden and bbqs and for the dogs to get some exercise.

I'm a garden gnome gal myself.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:33 pm

Yeah, but you can't dress the gnome up like you can the geese.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:44 pm

wait a minute! albatross?? is that a Coleridge joke or an Iron Maiden joke? I don't get it either way
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:51 pm

I don't get it either, but the Son of Svengoolie was showing Clint Howard's 'The Ice Cream Man' the other day.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:53 pm

the best forehead in hollywood!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:59 pm

an albatross is a large bird that people can fly on, derr!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:06 pm

speaking of large birds, I had a hawk in my backyard on friday. no shit. I took a picture of it.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:17 pm

are you kidding? That's crazy. POST NOODZ.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:20 pm

also, I thought an albatross was a hinderance, or something, but I looked it up and its both a huge water bird AND a hinderance.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:24 pm

once again, we need DONKEY! No hiderance, norah. I think you're thinking of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" just like I was.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:25 pm

ADVERTISEMENT

Related ads:

Grumman Albatross

3 entries found for albatross.
al·ba·tross ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lb-trôs, -trs)
n. pl. albatross or al·ba·tross·es
Any of several large web-footed birds constituting the family Diomedeidae, chiefly of the oceans of the Southern Hemisphere, and having a hooked beak and long narrow wings.

A constant, worrisome burden.
An obstacle to success.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:27 pm

Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:37 pm

that Caprini Green or Cabrini Green ( whatever its called ) i hear is a really great part of town... nice place to raise your kids up, just like any Centreville!!!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 9:17 pm

I think there are really pricey condos around cabrini green now.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 9:19 pm

starbucks right across the street, too. And the Hecky's BBQ they just put in over there has "salad wraps" and veggie stuff (gasp!) that would NEVER be on the menu at the OG Heckys in evanston.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 9:41 pm

not only do the residents of cabrini green have a chance to work at starbucks, hecky's, dominicks and domino's pizza there is also a military recruiting office in the same strip mall.
honey #1 BBQ on western is pretty fucking awesome by the way.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:04 pm

it's "Cabrini" and it's disappearing. yeah Cabrini Green is now the "Gold Coast"(!!!!!) condos are 400,000+, but you get to look at the remaining crack ho's and you don't have to call Hecky's for delivery. When I first moved to Shitsville, I lived only blocks from there. that area is probably one of the best examples of red-lining anywhere. Anything to make the rich people feel richer. When we buy , it will either be in a weird corner of the city or a burb. who can realistically afford to buy here?
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:15 pm

Traci Trouble sure can! Yeagie, too. R. Lodge just did, also. Still easy to get a place for less than $5 G's down. Even ol' Karrie Fiegel and Casey are buying a place here when they move back this fall.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:34 pm | Edited by: messageboardbandit

actually I was talking about condos by Cabrini, but, well, good for them I guess. Buy them a house warming gift! Just cause I don't want to live in a closet that I will be paying for for the next 30plus years (which is what I think we can afford), doesn't make my decision wrong, it only makes it different. I think the area where Yeagle and R. Lodge bought places probably would qualify was a "weird corner of the city" I talked about, but who cares. We all get to call are own shots, that's the cool thing about free will, you don't have to rely on what your friends might decide to do and hopefully they'll not judge you and support your decission, but whatever.
Thats cool that Karrie and Casey will be back
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:48 pm

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:52 pm

that too
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:53 pm

We couldn't afford a place (non-condo) in the city that wasn't TOTALLY trashed, even though they were still pretty expensive. That's why we love Berwyn. Brett, join us!

I like that Todd left himself off the people who can afford in the city!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:54 pm

and choosing not to decide is actually what we are doing while we rent
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Not talking about the downtown area, of course. Surrounding neighborhoods, ya know. I was surprised that it only takes $1000 down to "own" a place here, but that doesn't mean you can't sell it in five years and make yourself some money.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:59 pm

It's not the best method of buying a house though.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 11:01 pm

You guys sound like old people.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 11:03 pm

bc...your place is too good a deal to give up, I'd say, at least for the time being. the porches, fireplace, and wild animals are what would seal the deal for me.

Norah, well, it's because i'm boring, duh! I'm pretty suprised I've made it this far as it is, aren't you? Now that I live alone, it will probably fall apart any minute.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 12:25 am

You guys sound like old people.

We ARE old, whippersnapper.

No roommate? Party at Todd's house!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 6:08 am

im 32 and drive my moms car.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 9:16 am

Dude.... I am soooo OLD! Yeaaaaa!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 2:25 pm

i think we may have had this conversation already but where in berwyn? is it near that awesome 24 hour laundry on cermak? we used to do our laundry there when we lived in oak park.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 2:38 pm

what did you get at Honey #1 BBQ? It's right around the corner and I just haven't made it in there yet.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 3:31 pm

rib tip/hot link combo. if you want ribs, it's best you call your order in well before hand. they super slow smoke them and run out pretty fast.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 5:01 pm

14th and ridgeland pretty much. In an area my hubby calls "NoCer" (pronounced "No Sir") because its North of Cermak. My friends call it "SoRo" cause its South of Roosevelt.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 5:12 pm

14th and ridgeland

i know that area, i used to live at washington and ridgeland pretty much. it's nice there i'm sure you'll love it.
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 5:19 pm

I love it. Its so fucking quiet!
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 6:39 pm

the cement geese

we had a cement goose, got it from Dana's boss...(some guy who was in love with his daughter worked at a garden store and every time they turned around there was some yard ornament or another on their porch.) Anyway, some idiot tried to steal it, and dropped it, and decapitated it (as far as we can tell.) It was just sitting, headless in our driveway, and one of my friends asked if she could have it. I said, sure. So everytime I go over to her house, there is our headless goose. It actually looks kinda cool on her porch. Sorta subversive.

We live in a post WWII area of Columbus our friends refer to as the suburbs, but it's not the suburbs. It's just a nice quiet old neighborhood with a suburban feel. Except when people are gettin' shot or dogs are running loose!~haha....

I'm just sayin'.
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 9:00 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

I love it. Its so fucking quiet!

You might start a trend and get the "in the know" crowd to venture back into the belly of the beast. I never saw any reason to get ripped off with a high rent/mortgage, deal with parking hassles, and have the annoyance of having stuff ripped off just for the pleasure of living two blocks away from a cool record store and coffee shop.

A popular thing to do in the late 90's in LA and OC was to find 40's-70's era tract homes with original fixtures and redecorate them with furnishings that matched the era it was built. I saw some of the bad ass Tiki dens that were fully restored.
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 9:02 pm

I am trying to get everyone I know to move there.
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 9:36 pm

a cool record store and coffee shop.

in my case that would be "fried fish take out and extensions/nail salon"
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 9:40 pm

i'm sure the video shop on the corner is cool. as soon as i learn polish i'll verify this.

the hardware shop, on the otherhand, is the coolest motherlovin hardware store in all of illinois. it's like they sell stuff they found or something.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®