Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / PAUL "WINE" JONES R.I.P.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 3:20 am

Paul died this mornin' due to complications w/ his digestive system. and it really sucks, cuz when i went to pick him up from Belzoni, Ms two weeks ago for that show we played w/ him here in Jackson, he was tellin me about how he was sick, but was gonna be better, cuz he was gonna get surgery for it that following Monday....
well, he went to get the surgery and doctors said it was "inoperable"
so...

R.I.P. PAUL "WINE" JONES

we enjoyed it.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 3:22 am

Posted: Oct 10, 2005 3:42 am

Damn. I was fortunate enough to be able to open for him in my old band....really awesome guy.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 3:46 pm

Wow. We are losing all the winners.

Jeez...
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 4:15 pm | Edited by: bvalentine

guess he had to go fuck it all up...

man.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 4:16 pm

SHIT. what a nice guy & his band was the rockingest of the Fat Possums still going... always smiling. dammit.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 4:17 pm

Whoa whoa wait! 48 YEARS OLD? Are you shitting me? That dude was only 48. Jeezz, I thought he was at least 65. Man, good living.

still sucks.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:03 pm

at his last show he played sitting down, but he was good. damn good. he said to the crowd "...alright, glad y'all could come tonight!....next time you see me , i'll be standin' up and we gone have a GOOD TIME!..." THEN he played GOTTA ROLL THAT WOMAN.
alls i'm sayin is...man still had a party in him. his funeral is this weekend in Belzoni. i'll be there...any of you Jackson turds wanna roll, let me know.

SHIT. what a nice guy & his band was the rockingest of the Fat Possums still going... always smiling. dammit

.....you got that shit right
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:59 pm

No fucking way!

That really sucks. I caught him only once, in New York about four years ago and he was the closest thing to Hound Dog Taylor that I've ever seen live. That guy was amazingly energetic in performing. His record was good too.
R.I.P. Wine Jones.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 9:13 pm

i just did the math, and by my calculations, he was 59.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 9:25 pm

just did the math

ok.. you are right. I was going by the above link:
http://www.fatpossum.com/artists/jones.html

but if you get on the main page: http://www.fatpossum.com it gives hi b-day.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:12 pm

Man,that fucking SUCKS! I really hate having to type that sentence so much this year,to once again offer condolences to family and loved ones about the loss of someone that means something to us even if we didn't know them personally,but that doesn't mean it's any less sincere... RIP .

And mike,it wasn't a cruel joke to offer to do that record right around the time this happened,i was serious. But i guess it can't happen now... FUCK 2005!!!!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:41 pm

I'd also like to apologize for name checking him on the "Florida Memories" thread yesterday too. Again, i had no idea.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 10:44 pm

one of the best dudes i'd seen at the chicago blues fest for sure
lame
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 11:16 pm

man, this is sad news.
he was a real sweetheart when we played with him, and damn good showman too.
if you got to see him, you were lucky and blessed.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 4:49 am

Joe, no worries. there's no way you coulda known, hell, i didn't even know until later that night after you sent the message.

i'll talk to fat possum and see if we can still do it. Paul said that we could have that song we do: "fuck it all up", but i'm sure fat possum will have something else to say about that. maybe they'll be cool about it.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 7:57 am

I remember helping Mr. Jones open a can of Spam. He ripped right into that shit! The funkest man on Fat Possum...RIP.
Posted: Jul 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Posted: Jul 22, 2010 8:52 am

What is up with trudging up these old threads? Man just start a new thread.

There's a funny story about T Model Ford knocking out Paul Wine Jones over some white woman they both claimed for themselves.

I missed Paul Wine Jones and 3 months later he was dead....I was sad.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®