Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Florida time warp
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 10:23 pm

I've spent the afternoon hanging up my photo show in Tallahassee.
I've heard just about nothing BUT NIN here (in store record play)...
however, last night in Tampa - it was classic punk rock - Clash, Pistols, Dead Boys, X....(in store record play)
Tampa, land of the fictional "Goth Talk" of SNL and home of "Edward Scissorhands" is musically more interesting to me than this college town.... PLUS, I'm getting GOUGED on hotel cost cuz of BIG GAME in town tonight. (eg: Motel 6 is $85 tonight. That's the LOWEST rate in town)

and its too damn sunny.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 10:38 pm

watch out for giant aligator eating pythons
if one of your prints winds up missing look for giant snake with huge rectangle in it.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 11:10 pm

Hey-

where is your photo show here? I live in Tally when and where is it?
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 12:14 am

rap music is punk as fuck
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 1:45 am

I used to go out with a guy who loved, and at one time live in, Tampa. He insisted on talking about himself as a "Tampon". I hate Florida.
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 2:43 am

"Tampon".
he sure does sound like a PUSSY
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 2:45 am

Yeah, that's the least of it.
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 7:50 am

Oh shit..I missed it...fuck.

How was the turnout in Tallahassee?
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 10:32 am

Tampa Bay sucks. Lots of hot goth chicks, though. Beats Bumfuck, Nowhere, or wherever else alot of people live. Jesus....what's up with Florida hate on these boards?
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 3:53 pm

I like Florida. I'll be in Coral Springs in November. Somehow, I doubt there will be shows, though...
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 5:12 pm

when i lived in tampa all the so called punk rockers were also rap fans.

i hate that shit from those scumfucks. what about country or blues?
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 5:46 pm

Florida hate? I don't like heat or the beach...that's about all there is to it. And, that "Tampon" thing just gives me the willies. Guys in loafers with no socks...don't like that look much either. I've only been to tourist places though, so I'm really not qualified to say much. I would like to go to the Everglades...what's left of them.
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 7:00 pm

Forget Boston and LA,This Is Talahassee Not Tampa!

Florida has no Blues or Soul. Lotsa Death Metal and the aforementioned Hot Goth Chicks though,i guess that counts for something but i'm not sure what.

If this is the Alisa i met during Goner Fest,i sez Hey!
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 7:14 pm

Florida has blues and definitely has a soul. It sucks to live there but there are fantastic things about Florida: Tarpon Springs, Weeki Watchee circa 1975, Calle Ocho, Cafe Con Leche, Tres Leches cake, The Keys, Fort De Soto Park, St. Augustine, amazing thrift stores and estate sales and last but never least...ICHNETUCKNEE SPRINGS STATE PARK.

I am a fan.

***Anyone in St. Petersburg who can tell me the name of that bitchen sushi bar/Japanese restaurant? It is out in the 'burbs area, big place, great sushi.***
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 8:00 pm

There used to be photos of my sisters at Weeki Watchee circa '71 sticking their heads thru Mermaid cutouts that i'm sure were destroyed by Katrina... sigh. We used to go see my Uncles that live there a lot back in the 60s,70s and early 80s before my Dad passed away. (RIP JoeP Senior)

FLA's OK. I've participated in generic Florida-bashing on here in the past but it's not that bad... i think i just like Louisiana,Mississippi and Western Tennessee better,color me biased. Coastal MS and ALA were both part of West Florida at one time and it shows. Jimmy Buffett has more to do with the Sunshine State than Paul "Wine"Jones does,that's for sure!

Any Floridians that can fill me in on any old Blues or Soul music (what i meant by that post) practitioners feel free to step in! While i may think F or Roach Motel probably knew the Blues and definitly had A soul,they don't technically qualify.
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 8:13 pm

I know what you meant, Joe, I just had to stick up for ol' FLA. It gets such a bad rap. I appreciate even the tacky stuff about it, but there are so many beautiful things there. Ever been tubing at Ichnetucknee? I have never seen truly translucent water like the rivers/springs in Florida. Unfortunately so much has been ruined by development.
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 8:50 pm

The sunrise and sunset in the Keys is superb. I can't wait to go back, actually.
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 8:53 pm

Florida isnt totally shitty but goddamn it's so fucking hot. I hate going outside and within 10 minutes, yer covered in sweat and wanting to take a shower.

Not sure about blues/soul but Florida had some decent garage bands

Nightcrawlers
Little Willie and the Adolescents
Yo-Yos
Posted: Oct 9, 2005 11:02 pm

Thanks for wising me up about some of the finer points, guys. As I've never been farther south in Florida than the "Redneck Riviera" I know there must be more to it. But, the heat and the Tampon guy (who convinced me that Jimmy Buffett was the king of all things FLA - and loved this horrible, horrible "Florida singer" named Jim Morris) sure makes me want to hate it.

Hey Joe P. I would think that would be me! (?)
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 1:03 am

Tarpon Springs is pretty cool. I used to live right down the street from it. Slave graveyard, haunted mental insitution, haunted church.....fun stuff. The Tampa Bay area isn't really that bad, it's just really spread out and kind of boring at times.

Again, the main pull we have is upper-middle class people moving down here with their hot teenage daughters, hence populating the place with tons of hot chicks. Take that for what it's worth.....
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 1:47 am

I went to Tarpon Springs on a statewide tour of kitsch when I lived there (yeah, it was a long trip). It was the summer of the Atlanta Olympics and the place was very high on itself. There was a sign in a parking lot that read "GREECE! HOME OF THE ORIGINAL OLYMPIC GAMES!" Like we were actually in Greece. The food there is terrific as is the Sponge Diving Diorama.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 1:58 am

I must count myself as a big fan of Florida.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 2:00 am

well shit, to all of you floridians who might be on the record nerdier end of the spectrum....
anybody have the lp, or info about The Trend "The Trend is In" LP? i've been looking for that for a while...i know it's from florida and that's about it.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 3:15 am

http://www.dddnews.com/story/1108681.html

Looks like they were from MO, not FLorida....
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 3:17 am

btw- that's them hanging out with Sheryl Crow, before she was famous. Weird. Looks like good Knack-ish Power Pop.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 3:31 am

well shit...thanks for the inquiring! i thought i read that they were from florida..hmm....
they are a great band. they have 2 tracks on the mentioned 'yellow pills' cd and a couple on the teenline vol. 3 on hyped to death. great shit...i gotta find that lp.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 8:41 pm

Jeb Bush is a loser.
Glenda Hood is a loser.
Kathrine Harris is a loser.
John Tanner is a loser.
Bob Voegel is a loser.
Bill McCollum is a loser.
Mel Martinez is a loser.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 9:10 pm

Mr E Action - you can still see some pix if you are interested... Vinyl Fever 2256 W Pensacola St. A lot were sold, but a few remain. Sorry - haven't been able to get online so frequently as I travel....
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 9:24 pm

My best friend moved from Memphis to Tampa area, lots of toll bridges we quite new to him, he of course had no change. Two guys who looked like gangsters pulled up next to him as he was stopped on the side of the road (now in Memphis you are about to get robbed), so he is thinking crap this is going to suck, and then behold they gave him change to cross. Ahh the prejudies that become part of survival in Memphis.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 9:40 pm

i live in st. pete....too bad i missed the show. i do frequent vinyl fever. i have bought a shit of good records for 99 cents there, but until they just recently picked up the norton catalog, they were real lame. the next time you are in the area, try Star Booty, in downtown St. Pete. They seem to appeal to the (f)arty type.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 9:43 pm

I enjoyed myself in FLA - don't get me wrong.
I just found some time warp elements. There were really NICE and great people at both my openings. I understand that Ybor City has some kind of scene but I never made it - spent just 17 hours in Tampa - but ate great Cuban food!

Tallahassee was way too college-y for me, but the people I met were nice, and I also had a great Cuban meal there. THe Woggles were at my opening and then I went to their show at the college. Got a fair turn out and people eventually danced n stuff. It was an Electric 6 headlining gig, and those guys are also friends, but it freaks me out that they are earning their living on the stuff they're doing now rather than what i know they prefer... but whatever...

In both towns, I met some people who really knew their music and had some great chats about old times and compared notes w/ them about local scenes, etc.

I didn't spend enough time in either place to form any solid opinion... although my jacket got lifted in Tallahassee ... I won't hold it against FLA because of that
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 9:51 pm

Sorry that was me. I sold the jacket for crack money...I apologize profusely.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 9:54 pm

I bet you didn't meet anybody in Tampa that knew ANYTHING, well maybe that fag thats into Trex from vinyl fever.... The only good shows in the tampa-st pete area are the old "reunion" tours like the dickies and damned and bands like x and the cramps...NEVER any good new stuff. When this dood Derrick from Seattle lived here for a while and he managed to get the black lips to play a tiny bar in st pete....15 people went, maybe....and that's it. NEVER anyone good. Can anyone argue this point? The Tim Version? come on? This area sucks ass for anything other than goth and hardcore. The only half way decent band from the area is a 2 piece combo called Arcade Inferno, and I'm not even sure if they're still around, I havent seen them in a year or so. Pink Lincolns are from here, but they don't really count anymore, do they?
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

people in both tallahassee and tampa told me that NO SHOWS come through there unless it seems expedient to routing - on that they were clear and totally bummed. i think that's why folks in tampa are so easily lampooned by SNL and its "Goth Talk" skit - cuz it seems that darkness is the way to rebel in that sunny clime.

people i met knew their music from the 70s. as for what they were CURRENTLY into... i didn't ask... i'm taking an "oldies" show on the road, after all! my most recent photo is from 1979

the people i met did agree that they don't get good tours coming through, and i do feel bad for them in that regard
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:06 pm

come to st. pete next time, this shit hole needs something exciting.... this city (area) is so much shittier than I ever thought it could be as far new music is concerned.....glad you had a good time, still really hot tho', come back in winter next time. ANYBODY.....please come play St Pete!!!!!!!!! There are really good venues here that pay touring bands.......
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:11 pm

Which clubs?
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:15 pm

the state theater, the masquerade, and i'm sure there are a bunch.....ask rj, i'm sure even as a local band they were paid...
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:16 pm

Ok, well set up a show for January.....

Thanks, nig.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:25 pm

PINK LINCOLNS
CRUMBS
RADON

And...
Miss Jeanie Peadon what more you want outta life?
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 10:28 pm

of yeah and barely pink, that 80's tribute band
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 11:05 pm

The Crumbs were from Miami...Pink Lincolns broke up a whiles ago and only released one good LP that came out in 86....Radon sucks...

Tampa sucks.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 11:58 pm

Yes the majority of people in Florida think of "punk" either as The Damned reunion tour/Warp Tour or some pretentious emo/indie/hardcore thing. Nothing discussed on this board is on the radar of more than 200 people in the state I would wager.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 12:06 am

The main thing about Florida is that there are a few people in a few cities that are into cool shit....it's just so spread out.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 4:00 am

florida's most punk? "My God Can Beat Up Your God"!!!!
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 5:26 am

Nothing discussed on this board is on the radar of more than 200 people in the state I would wager.

Then I met them all! All 200 people on this particular radar.

When I was doing the in-store in Tallahassee, I walked in to the clerk playing The King Khan and BBQ Show album. "Waddlin Around" was the selection. Next, they played the Reigning Sound - the LIVE from Goner CD (yeah, the store manager has it!) - various tracks all through the day. They played a TON of Reigning Sound during the day - not sure if they did because I was there OR because the clerks in the store are the 4 cool people in Tallahassee, but they were on my page and made my 3 hours there most pleasurable. I was SO THRILLED to hear BBQ that I immediately rang up Eric O to tell him.

I think I even caused the purchase of 2 copies of the King Khan/BBQ record, 4 copies of Time Bomb High School, 1 copy of Soul Food AND 1 copy of Greg Oblivian & the Tip Tops. People were asking me for recommendations and that's what I moved. I also moved 1 Woggles record. Yep, I was a pushy sales person. I put CD's into people's hands and walked them to the check out; I would not let them change their minds.

Other records played: Elvis Costello, This Year's Model; The Jam, This is the Modern World; X, first album; Gun Club, Las Vegas
That's all I remember. In Tampa, they played X, The Jam, the Ramones, Clash.

There was one kid there who was a HUGE Alley Cats fan, so I hipped him to River City Tanlines, and hoped that the completist in him would be drawn to the Alley Cats b-side...
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 7:19 am

I'm amazed Vinyl Fever in Tallahassee played that shit. I really wish I would have known about that show, I would have gone. Same with Mr. E Action, so that's too bad. Totally didn't realize until after.

In regards to the band Arcade Inferno from St. Pete, they were a two piece punk band that had a Dead Boys/heavy punk thing going on. Now they switched to a more Gainesville friendly indie rock vibe, and im not even sure if they still exsist.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 11:30 am

Like Guitar Wolf or something like that, Reigning Sound is pretty accessible to people who don't listen to everything else so that doesn't really surpise me. But I frequented Vinyl Fever in Tampa for years and never would have thought in a million years they would have KK & BBQ or anything interesting recorded after 1981.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 2:04 pm

the majority of people in Florida think of "punk" either as The Damned reunion tour/Warp Tour or some pretentious emo/indie/hardcore thing

I hate to break it to you guys... but that's pretty much conclusive of the whole country (even, and esp, Memphis). Except you can take out that Damned reunion b/c the majority of people at Warped tour dont know who they are either.

Check this site for the goods on FLA: http://www.floridasdying.com/
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Can't beat all those 99 cent deals at vinyl fever. As for Arcade Inferno, if they are still around, check em out live. Don't let LeRoy's enormous earlobe ring scare off any of you homophobes. But by all means avoid the split CD they put put with some other schlock rock band, I think the disc, which retardedly is packaged like a DVD (I was told they did that so they could include "all the artwork")...I think it was called Tonight St Pete Burns.... The Tampa area is not completly hopeless....I was buying a guitar wolf CD from the bargain bin at "The Sound Exchange" in Pinellas Park, and the Asain chick werking the counter informed me that B wolf had passed, like a day after it happened. It was nice to swap G-Wolf stories with someone that actually seemed interested. They also carry "SFTRI-Oblivians related" stuff. Nothing too amazing though. I wish I wouldn't have sold my copies of wolf rock AND missle me for 4 bucks each to Roy Oden, man I'm stoopid. I think I sold him the first 3 donnas 7"'s for 10 bucks total too, good thing Trent Machut (ex-Last Sons Of Krypton) sold me his 3 and the "why dont lesbians love me" 45 all for $5. If anyone has any other info about good stores/venues in the Tampa area, please let me know.......hey brad, if yer reading, is Trent on line anywhere? It was cool to see him and all the other local yokels at yer wedding earlier this year...... You guys need to make road trip.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 5:47 pm

I'm amazed Vinyl Fever in Tallahassee played that shit. I really wish I would have known about that show, I would have gone. Same with Mr. E Action, so that's too bad. Totally didn't realize until after.

I wish you could have been there too. I'm amazed myself that the Tallahassee store played all the music I like.... after all, the day before, when I was hanging pictures, I heard NIN all day long! It was a flashback to the 90s and seemed to me that was probably more accurate a reflection of the town....

I hope the people who bought what I recommended loved it and pursue a new musical road.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 8:14 pm

I hate Florida
Me too, especially since the 2000 "Election"...

he sure does sound like a PUSSY
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

I'm not a sun n' surf type of girl anyway so I don't have much use for Florida. I have only been there twice, that was enough. The only part I would go back for would be to see St. Augustine, since isn't it the oldest settlement in America or somesuch? Other than that, I hope the next hurricane swallows 'em up. After Theresa is back in NYC of course.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 10:42 pm

If anyone has any other info about good stores/venues in the Tampa area, please let me know

I don't know if it's still around but Ye Olde Record Shoppe in Clearwater on Drew used to have some decent old stuff (Velvets, Groovies, etc on vinyl for fair prices). I'm sure you've been to the Banana's warehouse.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 11:01 pm

are referring to planet grooves near Clearwater High? They used to be called Peter Dunns Vinyl museum.They changed names one last time before folding over a year ago. I did literally carry an armload of records out for $5. That old ladies record store in the strip mall has also been closed for years. Bananas is killer....they claim to have the world largest vinyl collection.....they now have two stores to hold all the stuff. One is a "barn" that could easily be named the "worlds biggest goodwill record collection"......literally millions of 99 cent vinyl and 25 cent 45's.... I think Brad X's ex-girlfriend Ann Blanchard, got the first Sonics record there for a buck. I never found anything that cool, but they have great finds if you got the time. i live about 2 miles away, so I frequent there often....the really good stuff is really expensive though....
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 11:07 pm

No I'm probably referring to that old lady's store next to the 7-11. Haven't tried to go there for years. Vinyl Museum used to be ok but sucked when it became that Planet Grooves. Banana's can be killer. The retail store in Pasadena is pretty lousy but the warehouse has good stuff. Can't believe anyone got original Sonics records for cheap. I thought they knew their stuff. My current record player came from there which I'm very happy about still. My best find there was probably the American Soul Spiders/Supersnazz split 7". Never would have expected to find that there.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 11:16 pm

yeah, bananas!!!.....if found some real cool supercharger 45's there, but I had to pay 3 or 4 bucks each for them....they have no clue when it comes to stuff like that. Pasadena does have 2 record stores...Asylum, the head shop/record store, and The Record Exchange. They sometimes have o.k. stuff, but nothing to brag about. where in the area do you live.....i seriously thought no one lived here.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 11:27 pm

I was talking about the Banana's that at least used to be in Pasadena. Asylum and Record Exchange aren't even worth discussing. I live in Orlando now but was born in St. Pete. Aside from a few month stints at my mom's house I haven't seriously lived there in almost ten years but cruise the record stores on occasion when I'm around. I'll go to a show there once in a blue moon but all my old friends listen to is indie stuff. I would have loved to see the Black Lips at the Emerald. My mom went to high school with the guy who owns it.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 11:38 pm

the Emerald is awesome....big glasses (20 oz, maybe) of busch on tap for $1.15. plus we know the bartenders, so it never costs my girlfriend and i more than $10-$15 to drink there. Bananas moved to St.Pete, its behind Ed White hospital now on like 16th Ave North and 22nd street.
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 11:52 pm

Yeah Mo would always take care of me when I went in there but it's been at least 2 years. I'm not sure where Ed White is but that sounds about like where the Banana's warehouse has been for a long time. It's on the dead end street where you walk up the shaky iron stairs to get to the entrance right?
Posted: Oct 13, 2005 12:47 am

Check this site for the goods on FLA: http://www.floridasdying.com/[/i]

I love Orlando! People think it's all Disney and shit (and most of it is), but thanks to those guys in the Hate Bombs I discovered there's cool shit there, and decent shows too.

Plus, Gatorland is there and I love gators!
Posted: Oct 13, 2005 3:08 am

yeah thats right about bananas.....monique and her twin sister crissy were best friends and roomates with my girlfriend, nice girls...nice tattoos. next time your in town we'll have to go drinking!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 13, 2005 5:41 am

I remember that place...got some cool pickups there.

Sonic Reducer 45
original pressing of the 1st Users 45
original pressing of Tapeworm(only $4...couldn't believe it)
original Funhouse for 6 bucks

that was a cool store.
Posted: Oct 13, 2005 9:22 am

Yeah Mo would always take care of me when I went in there but it's been at least 2 years.

I've spent many a drunken night staring at Mo and her sister. Barmaidens from heaven.......

Ye Olde Record Shop and Planet Grooves both closed down. Planet grooves is now a mattress store. Hot.
Posted: Oct 13, 2005 1:35 pm

RJ when are you coming back to town? Thanksgiving maybe? I haven't seen you since Roy was here. Do you actually live in Tallahasse, or just a dorm room? That time at Wet Willies was a riot.... (Brad that "booze flavored icee" you had in Memphis was most likely Wet Willies)........
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 2:06 am

monique and her twin sister crissy were best friends and roomates with my girlfriend, nice girls...nice tattoos. next time your in town we'll have to go drinking!!!!!!

I heard Mo had a twin sister but never saw her that I know of. I'm actually going to St. Pete (re: Seminole) this weekend but don't know if I'll be able to make it down to the Emerald. Banana's sounds appealing. Maybe I'll make time on Saturday. After that I probably won't be around til November. Reigning Sound is playing in Orlando next weekend. Had you thought of making the trip?
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 2:16 am

I'll probably get killed after posting this on the precious Goner Board...but Fuckboyz and Harry Pussy were awwwwwwwesome!!!!!!

One of the best live shows ever seen: Harry Pussy Jacksonville 1995.
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 3:39 am

Harry Pussy are great. I've seen videos of them.
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 1:33 pm

What day is that Reigning Sounds show? Unfortunatley I have plans next weekend, but if its Sunday, I can maybe do it....or possibly if its Friday night...Saturday is bad for me though. If you want some directions to Bananas left me know, it's kinda tricky to find....it's kinda hidden behind a hospital and on the side of 275.....
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 9:07 pm

Harry Pussy were an incredible live band!

For some completely different FL music available for free, go to:

http://www.floridamemory.com/Collections/folklife/audio.cfm

There are soundclips for the first "Music from the Florida Folklife Collection" --- be sure to check the Moses Williams cut. (You may know him from the first "It Came from Memphis" CD.) Killer one-string playin'.

Johnny Brown's "That's Alright" is another good one.
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 10:27 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Harry Pussy were an incredible live band!

Completely. We booked them to open for Sebadoh and all the indie kids had packed the house. The kids let us have it for months afterward, but it was all worth it to see a few 19 year old Jacksonville nerd indie rock boys standing in front of Harry Pussy, mouths agape. They started buying noise records immediately afterward. And likely taking a lot of drugs.
Posted: Oct 15, 2005 1:48 am

What day is that Reigning Sounds show? Unfortunatley I have plans next weekend, but if its Sunday, I can maybe do it....or possibly if its Friday night...Saturday is bad for me though. If you want some directions to Bananas left me know, it's kinda tricky to find....it's kinda hidden behind a hospital and on the side of 275.....

Reigning Sound is next Friday at Will's Pub. Detroit Cobras are headlining so I imagine RS will play around 11:30 or so? I can't explain how to get to Banana's but once I look up the address in the phone book I always know how to get there. Should I be scared to hang out with a crack nigger?
Posted: Oct 15, 2005 4:26 am

thanks bvalentine!

in addition to all things great about fla

....teddy and the frat girls!
Posted: Oct 17, 2005 10:17 pm

thanks for the info, I Hope I can make it up there....
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 2:21 am

Ahhh... Yes. The annual Goner Board Florida trashing. Don't let it ever be said that the Goner Board is somewhat redundant.

I realize I am a little late to this thread. However having grown up in Detroit and then moving to Memphis for eight years, I have had enough post-apocalyptic landscapes and racial tension. Don't get me wrong, I have a special place in my heart for both places. Memphis is still the weirdest place I have ever been. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. But a little sunshine and a nice beach trumps 6 month Winters and chain-link fences in my book.

My question is why is there so much contempt for Florida. Why not California? They are responsible for so much more lame as culture and music and they have nice weather and beaches.

I do hope to see a lot of Florida Goners representing this weekend in Orlando for Reigning Sound. I am driving down from Jacksonville.

BTW... Why is Reigning Sound opening for the Detroit Cobras? Shouldn't it be the other way around. The Detroit Cobras are just a cover band.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 2:29 am

I agree w/ your sentiments about the billing of the Cobras and RS, but the Cobras have sold more records and believe it or not, sell out bigger venues and command more money in their guarantees. Don't ever let it be said that merit counted for anything in this world.

As a CA native, I am hyper aware of the comparisons between the Sunshine states, east and west. CA has its fair share of bad culture BUT at the same time, we gave pop culture a LOT - the "California Sound" like it or not, is cultural short hand for pretty harmonies and pop music as well as a certain kind of Western Americana (ie: the Eagles - hey i HATE them, but just trying to point out what the masses like about CA)

I have always said:

FLA - CA
Hollywood, Disney, oranges, huge Hispanic subculture, places where old people go to die (Boca; Palm Springs), really crazy cult shit (Marilyn Manson types; Charles Manson - not the best parallel, but you get what i mean.), beach culture

both states really have 3 distinct identities, and ought to be 2 or even 3 states....
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 2:40 am

I agree. Both States have a lot of quirks. My favorite quirk about Florida is it is one of two states where serial killers end up. The other being Texas.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:00 am

It makes sense--the serial killers get all depressed up here, start murdering and then end up in the two places that they believe are really the polar opposites of the Pacific NW--Fla and Texas. Then they get depressed for entirely different reasons in those two states, murder some more, get caught and then they die...cos they went to Florida and Texas.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:52 am

Which is why we have the death penalty. Otherwise we would be overrun by serial killers... and the crazy women that love them.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 3:55 am

I said, I like Florida. Any shows or points of interest in Coral Springs or Ft. Lauderdale from Nov. 14-18?
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 4:07 am

Can't help ya that far South.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 4:24 am

Coolest thing about that trip is flying over the Everglades. Crazy landscapes and colors down on the ground flying in from ATL. Otherwise, Coral Springs is mall and convienience store city. Ate at Bonefish there, and it was quite good. Hard to get out on work trips, but, if there are wierd diversions or record stores in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd love to hear about 'em.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 5:27 pm

Nov 14 is my birthday...you can buy me some drinks.
Posted: Oct 20, 2005 10:58 pm

Great news for me....the weather is cancelling my previous plans and my girlfriend and I are gonna drive up for the reigning sound show tomorrow in Orlando....any Goners attending?
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 1:46 am

I'll be there. If anyone traveling needs a place to stay I have room. Close to the club.
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 1:25 pm

We got a room at the comfort inn about 3 miles away, we already paid for the room a couple days ago. Is this a cool venue? Do you think there will be a lot of people. I didn't think anyone liked punk rock in Orlando?
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 7:20 pm

It's a good venue. I'd expect at least 100 people there. Maybe 150. It's a weekend and RS and Detroit Cobras have at least a little buzz so there should be a good turnout. There's a ton more Goner type punk rock in Orlando than the Bay area. Rich does a good job though I don't think this is his show.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 6:57 am

Jack in lauderdale go to all books and records. freddy the bastard's store in hollywood should be open by then as well. Culture Room in FTL has most of the good shows. they are doing the ny dolls in a couple weeks.

For all the Florida bashing here, Memphis had the weakest turnout of Blowfly's entire year of touring the country. Not one person of color there either.

Florida Soul nonexistant you say? Ever hear of the miami sound you ignorant sods? Betty Wright? Clarence Reid? Lattimore? Little Beaver? Gwen Mccrae? Try this on for size: Sam& Dave are from Miami.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 7:56 am

Ever hear of the miami sound you ignorant sods?

alas, in the last 15 or so years, "miami sound" has come to mean Gloria Estefan
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 9:28 am

seeing how estefan hasn't even used the "miami sound machine"name in a decade, not quite.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 10:17 am

Gloria Estefan was hot once.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 11:23 am

I didn't think anyone liked punk rock in Orlando?

Orlando is getting its own little gayrage rock scene. I've yet to see it in person, but I guess alot of shit is going down there.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 6:42 pm

Last night the Reigning Sound AND the Cobras cancelled. We drove all the way to Orlando for nothing.....well it wasn't all for nothing, I did get a chance to meet the Florida's Dying guy....we were supposed to party at his house after the show, but we got really loaded and "lost" him. Maybe he noticed how drunk we were getting.......Fuck, I woke up puking all over the hotel room....too many Blue Moon's I guess. Thank god the hang over has gone away.... Wil's Pub was cool, kinda reminded me of the Cactus Club in Milwaukee.... Good vibe, we ran into some cool locals that offered to take us bar hopping. Saw some decent local acts.........We were so pissed that the Sound cancelled but had a great time anyway. Mr. Dying....post your email address and I'll get in touch about getting some of those Buttercups splits from you.....
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 6:55 pm

MARILYN MANSON is from florida...oh yeah...but he sucks...florida sucks to...fuck it.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 10:00 pm

MARILYN MANSON is from florida

actually, he's from Ohio and moved to FLA when he was 11.
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 10:11 pm

Hey Crack Nigger,
No I was too drunk to notice. Did you go by Lou's. my email is
mutinyprod@gmail.com also my website is
http://www.floridasdying.com
Posted: Oct 22, 2005 10:32 pm

I love florida. Orlando's a great town. There are alot of good bands and people. If anyone needs some shows in Florida email me. Come here I swear its worth it.
mutinyprod@gmail.com
Posted: Oct 23, 2005 9:53 pm

Crack Nigger,

I am glad to hear you got back to your hotel. You were pretty fucked up when I met you and your girlfriend. It was nice to meet you.

Tahiti,

I have to say I had a good time in Orlando. I drove down from Actionville (Jax). Aside from the show being cancelled, I had a really good time. I liked Will's and some other bars I went to. I definitely will be making more trips down there.
Posted: Oct 23, 2005 10:56 pm

Ah man sounds like a good time. I'm bummed I didn't go.
Posted: Oct 24, 2005 1:29 am

I got this email yesterday
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
at Sound Idea 113 East Brandon Blvd in Brandon (TAMPA) (813) 653-2550
NO SMOKING NO DRINKING NO MORONS

SAT OCT 29, 8:00 PM, $7 All ages
Regulations (From Sweden)
Control De Estado
Gross National Product

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This show is at the Hardcore place in Brandon, I'm really suprised to see the Regulations are coming...you can read about them in various Savage magazines....sucks there is no drinking, but it might still be fun...I don't really know, I've never been to a show there....Anyone ever go there?
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 8:04 pm

actually, he's from Ohio

Lots o' freaks are from Ohio seems like...
Posted: Oct 26, 2005 10:16 pm

Regulations are playing FL...I actually might have to make it down to Tampa...
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 9:08 pm

No drinking though, I'm not even sure if we are going...I've heard nothing but exciting ever happens at Sound Idea. Bob the guy who runs it means well and is a nice guy but I can't possibly defend the fact there is no drinking, maybe it's because it's located in a small strip mall, or maybe he's straight edge, not relly sure. Mr. E, it might be worth coming down here to check out his awesome bootleg T shirts for $5. He's got some cool KBD band T's he bootlegs, like the Eat etc....
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 9:10 pm

oops....nothing exciting
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 3:00 pm

Pink Lincolns are back together (since 2002). They are playing The Emerald on Saturday (11/05/05) w/ the Pseudo Heroes for cheap. www.pinklincolns.com

also where is Bananas located? i've been to the warehouse once...a really long time ago
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 3:37 pm

yeah, we are going to see the Lincolns, at my favorite bar!!!! It will be the 3rd time in 3 years that I've seen them. It's kinda funny, the last time we saw them, there was hardly anyone at the State Theater, but the fuckin rocked...i don't care what anyone says about them, (they're old, blah, blah, blah)...PINK LINCOLNS STILL FUCKIN ROCK.....anyone in Florida should consider coming to St. Pete this Saturday....$5.....plus the Emerald is an awesome dive bar with real cheap beer!!!
Bananas......coming from tampa exit 275 ...get on 9th Street (MLK) go south to 14th Ave North take right....follow all the way to 26th street take right. north 4 blocks, left on 18th Ave North...
from Sarasota just exit 175 to 4th street...north to 9th Ave North, take a left. Follow to MLK, right. North 5 blocks to 14 th Ave, take a left...follow all the way to 26th street take right. north 4 blocks, left on 18th Ave North...
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 3:45 pm

any other way, the interstate will fuck you up. it directly behing the Home Depot on 22nd Ave North, but you have to go all the down to 26th street...then it gets real fuckin confusing....just try the directs above. 14th Ave North is the key...not many people realize it goes under the "I" system......
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 1:49 pm

thanks for the directions. can't wait to check out bananas. I'll be at the Lincolns show too. i'll be the guy recording the show. see you there.
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 6:53 pm

cool, cant wait
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 1:37 am

I missed hanging out with you at the non-Reigning Sound show Cracky. Maybe I'll go to this one. If I do I'll be wearing a Goner shirt.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 1:06 pm

It should be FUCKING BLAST! The Emerald is a very cool place to see a show. Kimmie and I will be there after we set up some banners for the hip hop show at the Tropicana Field. She works for some radio station(s) and they are giving us free booze and eats to help set up the VIP area. Last year I got so loaded on "Booty Beer" I grew balls enough to steal a Wade Boggs framed piece of artwork from the VIP lounge. Also met Luke Skywalker...not very interesting, but his 15 minute "performance" was shock full of "Yeah Mutha-fuck-as"....very funny. This year I might meet Lil Jon and Naughty By Nature (anyone remember them)...can't wait... Last year I wore a Eat tshirt, everyone else was in 3 piece suits, acting all ghetto fab...Gangstas! We should be in prime condition for the Lincolns, who always put on a GREAT show.
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 6:26 pm

I'm in Tampa Bay for the weekend, is that Pink Lincolns show at Emerarld tonight (Saturday?) I mights haves to goes checks that outs......
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 8:34 pm

yep its tonight RJ, I'm calling your parents house now....
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 9:35 pm

OK I'm going. Goner shirt.
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 5:41 pm

Is there anything ever goin on in/around West palm Beach/ Ft. Lauderdale area???
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 7:03 pm

wow the Lincolns show was great. I got totally wasted....thank god my hand isn't broken. during the first song, Chris jumped right into me, beer everwhere,....my hand got cut open pretty bad, and I was bleeding everywhere. Thank god we knew the bartenders and they didnt kick my drunk ass out! ....things were getting kinda out of hand. The Lincolns were taking requests and when they didn't hear anything they wanted to play, they simply walked off......great time....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®