Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / MLB playoffs anybody? Go WHITE Sox!!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:55 pm

Last year I predicted the WHITE Sox would win it all. Boy was I wrong. Well there looking pretty good now. They trounced the RED Sox the 1st game. White Sox vs Braves. White Sox will win it 6 games. How come these playoff games are during the day time? I wanna watch these games after work with a bag of peanuts and a 12-pack.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:57 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if the Red Sox played the White Sox? I think it's going to be the Red Sox and the Yankees again.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 9:10 pm

i'm hoping the red sox lose because baseball fans here are insufferable pricks. and not the fun kind either.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 10:32 pm

Anybody but the Yanks is fine with me.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 1:00 am

GO YANKS!!!! They are the home town team folks! Can't wait to attend the ticker tape parade in the "canyon of heros" down by J&R. WHOO-HOO! GO YANKS!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 2:19 am | Edited by: jblundell

RED FUCKING SOX!! no hometown pride picklepants? you should get Bronson Arroyo to put a tampoffs song in his bands set! you'd be in fitting company...stone temple pilots, bush, etc..the kings of alternative radio.

goddamn white sox are up 5-4 in game 2...fuck! nixon almost put it out. GO SOX!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 3:13 am

*Yawn.* Let's just get this over with.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 3:20 am

Anyone but the fucking Yankees. I wouldn't mind seeing the Cards or the Braves, but seriously, if the Yankees win i will give up on baseball untill the Giants become a winning team again. Gonna be a long time...
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 4:40 am

This is the only time of year that I think I am going to regret not having cable. The Red Sox/Yankees series last year was the greatest playoff series in the history of professional sports. I'm rooting for the Angels, but another Sox/Yanks battle would be fucking amazing.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 6:58 am

Baseball is the only sport I dig on the real, so excuse me while my non sports playing ass jocks the fuck out.

Team salaries from 2005, I'm rooting for the Padres, that's a lot of $ too but they're the underdogs.

1. New York Yankees $208,306,817
2. Boston Red Sox $123,505,125
4. Los Angeles Angels $97,725,322
6 .St. Louis Cardinals $92,106,833
10. Atlanta Braves $86,457,302
12. Houston Astros $76,779,000
13. Chicago White Sox $75,178,000
16. San Diego Padres $63,290,833

I love tv announcers and their never draining boner for the Yankees. Sure they're a good team, I wonder why. Anybody but the Yankees is such a cool rally for sports fans the world over.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 2:15 pm

White Sox won't win cause their hitting will fall through.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 3:17 pm

I'm going with Astros vs White Sox.

No other team can match these squads pitching.

Astros winning it all so I don't have to hear about the White Sox winning everyday in Chicago.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 3:19 pm

chisox hitting won't take them to the series. bosox pitching won't get them past the pale hose. yanks/cardinals, cards in 6.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:08 pm

you'd be in fitting company

is that a dig? daaaaaaaaamn, baby.

but yeah, i'm not from here (actually grew up a mets fan in the ny), so there's no hometown stuff. still rather see them advance than they yanks though. but after last night's blowing of a 4-run lead, i have my doubts.

but yeah, apparently having new york plates on your car here means you are a yankees fan and therefore need to be destroyed. the amount of dudes that try to pick fights with me over that shit is hilarious. it's gonna be even worse when i get the airbrush painting of bill buckner with the ball going through his legs on the hood of it.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:09 pm

oh, and hockey season just started last night for the first time in god knows how long, so all this baseball shit can eat it.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:15 pm

I became a Red Sox fan last year by proxy (Dana)... but it was a good year to become a Red Sox fan. Plus, Johnny Damon is HOT! Go on with your bad caveman self, Johnny...
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 6:15 pm

Johnny Damon needs a HAIRCUT. Somebody PLEASE give Johnny Damon a muthafuckin HAIRCUT. Or don't. With all that hair in his face, he won't be able to see the ball. Not that he could hit it anyway. Wearing that sucky Red Sox uniform and all.... I'm just sayin. You know. sucky Red Sox uniform.... GO YANKS!!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 7:21 pm

Saturdays game in NY may be rained out. That's ok.
Boy, I can't wait to go to that ticker tape parade when the Yankees win the series this year. It's gonna be great!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 7:30 pm

I'm thinking it will be Astros vs Yankees.

Picklepants, you should get Mike Blowers and Steve Balboni painted on the side of your van. 1990 Yankees ruled!!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 7:46 pm

I think this is definitely the year for the St-Louis Cardinals.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 8:10 pm

Picklepants, you should get Mike Blowers and Steve Balboni painted on the side of your van. 1990 Yankees ruled!!!

i was always a fan of the nekro brothers, but this sounds like a good idea. either that, or wade boggs' mustache on the hood made of some sort of hair with the rest of the car painted like his face. wearing a yanks cap, of course.

also, i doubt they do this in any other city, but last week during the sox/yanks series they didn't allow street parking in certain areas from 4 hours before the game to 2 hours after. i was a good 2-3 miles away from fenway and parked in front of the hotbed of riotous activities know as the fucking laundromat and my car almost got towed. this city is retarded sometimes.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 8:21 pm

this city is retarded sometimes.

thank those dimwitted northeastern kids.

i don't think the city wanted to take a chance on repeating the bad publicity they got for shooting that girl in the face last year. so much for the "less than lethal" ammunition, eh?
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 8:24 pm

that city is pretty retarded quite frequently and that's during the offseason. i still like it, oddly enough.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:15 pm | Edited by: Squarehead

the White Sox haven't even won a post season series since 1917, let alone a WS. But why would the sports media hype that up?! Oh yeah, Cause the Yankees haven't won since 2000 and the BoSox haven't won since last year. Hopefully after the Red Sox lose this series their fans will go on about how they won the series last year, then in 2 years all those goobers will have a new favorite team to put their emotions into every year and cry when they lose because they don't have the talent to win it. As for my picks this year:

NLDS
Padres vs Cards
Cards, nuff said. Peavy was the Pads only chance to win. And he sucked.

NLDS
Stros vs Braves
I'd love to say the Braves, but if the Stros keep the hitting up they'll win it.

ALDS
Yankees vs Angels
I think the Angels will pull it out, Honestly do. Johnson hasn't been the Randy Johnson of old and may fuck up. Plus the Angels got Colon back on the mound for this series, whereas Mussina is done.

ALDS
White Sox vs Red Sox
White Sox will win it in 3 maybe 4.

NLCS
Cards vs Stros
Too tough to beat the best team in Baseball, Cards in 7 with Clemens blowing it. AGAIN

ALCS
Angels vs White Sox
As long as Contreas and the bullpen can keep their shit together they should be able to get into the Series, give it 6 games.

WS
Cards vs White Sox
Sox will cool down in this series and start playing their post-allstar break baseball and get beat in 5.

Alas: St Louis Cardinals: MLB Champs.

thats just my take though.

GO PIRATES IN 06!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:19 pm

Also, seeing another Yanks/Red Sox ALCS will not be good. Everyone witnessed the best one last year. So why even try to let it compare. It obviously wouldn't.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 3:33 am

thank those dimwitted northeastern kids.

and those dimwitted BC, BU, etc kids. it's pretty alright here. but in the postseason you'd swear it were raining retards.

and as for that bad publicity... yeah, it didn't help that one of the cops involved was also involved in some incident where he smacked around some kid for no good reason a few years ago. but yeah, that sucked pretty hard. i used to live a block from where that happened. i'm glad i moved. half the street was on fire that night.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 12:46 am

jesus christ bosox fans....a sweep? not even close this year?? go anaheim....
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 2:31 am

good golly - get our yer brooms!
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 2:43 am

oh well. go anaheim, indeed!
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 2:43 am

oh well. go anaheim, indeed!
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 7:22 am

one more game jblundell....with the redsox and yankees our of the loop i can just sit back, stress free and feel good about whomever wins.
Posted: Oct 8, 2005 8:01 am | Edited by: mikesniper

I grew up in NJ, so I'm a Yankees fan. I remember when Roberto Kelly was their best player after Don Mattingly fucked up his back and their best pitcher was Scott Sanderson. I'd prolly fucking hate them if I was from anywhere else, or just got into baseball. That being said, George Steinbrenner isn't the wealthiest owner in baseball, he just spends the most because he wants his team to win. I liked them more when they were almost all homegrown (Jeter, Posada, Williams, Riviera, Pettite, Soriano were all in the farm system) or good but not superstar free agents (O'Neill, Brosius, Chili, Tino). That all got fucked when they got Clemens then Giambi. A-Rod, Sheffield and Randy Johnson made it ridiculous. Steinbrenner fucked with it too much. The reason they won in the past was because he couldn't fuck with the team when he was suspended in '92.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 1:35 am

Lets go Yanks! Whoomuthafuckinhoo! I tell you what. It's gonna be Yanks & Cardinals at the series. Whaddaya think?
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 1:43 am

I think I'd like some of whatever you're smoking. Go Royals!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 1:57 am

Gimmee some 'o' that shit you've been sniffin! Yanks draw first blood in the 2nd! Go Yanks!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 2:27 am

You don't want what I been sniffin'. It makes you choke.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 2:29 am

I hope they have a tv at the Ghettoways show. This is too exciting!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 5:14 am

Yankees over Angels!

Been watching fr the bar(io)...doesn't look like it at this point...5-3 Angels when I left...need to turn the toooober on at home...not much hope....but I AM hoping.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 5:21 am

So much for the yanks....Go 'Stros, only team without a WS win....
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 5:52 am

Bye bye yankees..you are ALL being traded next year!
as i've told many of my friends, it's not the yankees i hate specifically, it's more their fans..in the same way i hate laker fans.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 5:54 am

Johnny Damon needs a HAIRCUT.
NEVER..!!! Go Astro's..!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 7:06 am

I understand hometown shit, but the Yankees are in a different league all together. If you're in Thailand fucking kids, one of them is going to be wearin a Michael Jordan t-shirt and a Yankees cap. Winningest franchise in all sports or something like that. I often refer to the Detroit Red Wings as the Yankees of the NHL.

People who don't like underdogs in sports or life, they can eat shit. Lakers fans? Check out the Clippers. Nah doot, they suck. Exactly. Their wins mean a little bit more. If I get drunk enough tonight I'll watch Hank Greenberg documentary in Bazooka Joe's honour.

go Astros!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 7:17 am

no Red Socks, no Yankees
yeah yeah yeah.
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 8:59 am

Yankees are coming back tomorrow . losers! You guys are probably like the METS! ......EEEEEWWWWW.......GROSS!! Orange & blue. & there catcher is Sam Champion's (yes, his real tv name!) boyfriend! He's the weather man on channel 7 here in NYC. Mike Piazza & sam Champion! Whodda thunk? Anyhoo, Yankees are gonna win tommorow, & the next day , & the next muthafukin day! They have to! $ twohundred & fitty million dollars for A-Rod? Needs to be hittin a homer EVERY TIME! Wait till tommorow losers! Were goin to Chicago bitches! WHOO-HOO! GO YANKS!
Yes I'm a little drunk after the GhettoWays show... Good time..hot girls in the audience!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 4:25 pm

DTRAIN! Throw them a loser's parade!
Posted: Oct 11, 2005 7:32 pm

I'm 4 for 4 (with the winners atleast)

The Pirates got a real baseball manager today. 2006 World Series Champs: Pittsburgh Pirates
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 3:27 am

Good idea. 250million clams a year & they can't hit a ball with a stick. They deserve to lose. I'm so bummed out...stupid...baseball game ...grumble grumble.......
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 4:28 am

2 weeks until the new arrested development? stupid baseball, interrupting the funny
Posted: Oct 12, 2005 4:51 am

what team is Oral Hershiser on?
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 12:25 am

2 weeks until the new arrested development? stupid baseball, interrupting the funny

Thank god the season two DVDs finally came out to tide me over.
Posted: Oct 14, 2005 12:33 am

How long until the third season of Deadwood?
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 8:31 pm

White Sox Win!!!
White Sox Win!!!

That first 14-2 win over the Red Sox was a big ego boost for them.
That Pujols homerun in the 9nth against Houston was a good highlight and the Crosby&Sheffield Yankee collision in the outfield was another really good best of moment. I was really unhappy with some of the calls made. I can do without all those celebs in the crowd and please no more "God Bless America" for the 7th inning stretch. Enjoy the parade Chicago, you earned it. Cubs couldn't get it done; White Sox dominated the Playoffs. So much for the Killer B's. Houston sucks!! Now FOX can start showing us Arrested Development without interuption.
Bud Selig is a scumfuck!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:17 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

Although I think the Astros did quite well in the series, the Sox clearly dominated and deserved the win. However, This is a pretty shitty thing to do if you ask me.

And damn, fucking both Liz Phair and Lyle Lovett sucked balls singing. Gross.

damn link is screwy, here's the story

[i]Major league baseball orders Astros to open roof

BY JIM SALISBURY

Philadelphia Inquirer

HOUSTON - The Houston Astros were none too happy with Major League Baseball's decision to play Game 3 of the World Series under the stars on Tuesday night.

MLB rejected pleas from Astros management to play with the Minute Maid Park roof in the closed position.

"They're either (A) ridiculous, or (B) American League fans," Astros catcher Brad Ausmus said of baseball officials before the game. "What next? Are they going to fill out our lineup card?

"The bottom line is it's ridiculous for MLB to tell the Houston Astros how to prepare their stadium for the World Series."

Baseball has jurisdiction over stadiums in the League Championship Series and World Series.

Jimmie Lee Solomon, MLB's executive vice president of baseball operations, made the call to open the roof based on favorable weather. The game-time temperature was 61 degrees.

"It's a beautiful night," Solomon said. "There's not a cloud in the sky. Why not have the roof open?"

Teams with retractable roofs often prefer playing with them closed to contain crowd noise.

The Astros were 36-17 with the roof closed during the regular season and 15-11 with it open.

Astros officials cited fans' comfort, not their two-games-to-none deficit against the Chicago White Sox, as the reason they wanted the roof closed on Tuesday night.

Houston manager Phil Garner said baseball's decision showed "a disregard for the comfort of our fans."

Commissioner Bud Selig countered by saying: "It's a beautiful day. In Milwaukee, you don't get a day like this until the Fourth of July. We tell the clubs all the time, weather is a determining factor in (how to position the roof.) This fits the Astros' own criteria."

Some Astros players wondered if the Fox television network was behind the decision.

"If I see a blimp up there, I'll know why the roof is open," third baseman Morgan Ensberg said.

Solomon was adamant that the network had not been consulted.

Ensberg acknowledged that Astros players believe a closed roof is beneficial to them.

"When the roof is closed, it's loud," he said. "You won't be able to hear. It's a great home-field advantage. The crowd will affect (the White Sox) if the roof is closed.

"Obviously we're on the losing end of this. But we'll be men about it and play ball. I'm 30 years old. It's not like someone stole my dog. I can deal with it."

Rally goatees. Many Astros players had been wearing beards throughout the postseason.

After falling behind two games to none in the Series, players shaved off part of their beards and were sporting goatees on Tuesday night.

Clemens update. Houston's Roger Clemens threw in the bullpen before the game.

Astros general manager Tim Purpura said he had no reason to believe Clemens would not be ready to pitch Game 5, should the series go that far.

Clemens had to leave Game 1 after two innings because of a strained left hamstring.

Clemente award. Selig and Robert Clemente Jr. presented the Roberto Clemente Award for excellence on the field and in the community to Atlanta Braves righthander John Smoltz before the game.

Smoltz and his wife formed the John and Dyan Smoltz Foundation in 1997 and have helped raise millions of dollars for the Kings Ridge Christian School, which the pitcher cofounded.
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:21 pm

the only problem being that the regulations submitted to mlb by the astros state they will play under a closed roof only if the game time temp is over 80 degrees or if it's raining.

so is brad ausmus pissed because the astros have to play by rules made up by the astros? i guess the roof was the reason why they went 1-40 in game 3 and couldn't score a single run last night.
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:31 pm

However, MLB didn't make the Astros open the roof for the NLDS or NLCS. Why did MLB wait until the World Series to butt in?
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:33 pm

It was a close series, but it never will be remembered as that since it was a sweep.
I'll go to the parade, just cuz I work downtown and I'm guessing that's where it's gonna be.
I hate American League baseball. There's a reason they call it the Junior Circuit. The DH is stupid and boring!
Funny thing is, you never thought White Sox fans could stoop any lower than running on the field and beating up an elderly coach, but then a Sox fan slaps Biggio's wife during Game 2. Trash!
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:35 pm

It seems like the Astros spent too much time thinking about the roof. It's not a big deal, Chicago didn't have a roof to hold in the noise.
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:37 pm

Kerm: I dunno. But since I'm new to enjoying baseball (thanks to my best GIRL Andra who schooled me on all the rules this past season, I have really enjoyed it), I think it's a cowardly strategy to walk someone. Walking Berkman EVERY time was lame…obviously it worked, with no score -- but, in my newcomer opinion, lame.

However. My game has always been football. And the Cowboys are doing great!! YEAH! I know how much EVERYONE all over the country LOVES this team more than ANY other!! Wait!!! Hold ON!!! ……………………gimme a chance to run before you throw!
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:42 pm

Why did MLB wait until the World Series to butt in?

because they hoped the 'stros would do the right thing? because they only wanted to intervene as a last resort? dunno why they waited but bitching because mlb is making the astros play by rules the astros wrote is stupid in my mind.
Posted: Oct 27, 2005 9:45 pm

think it's a cowardly strategy to walk someone.

yeah but like you said it worked. barry bonds was intentionally walked with the bases loaded because the opposition didn't want him to hit a grand slam. sometimes it's the best strategy.

that's one reason why i hope the bosox don't get rid of manny. he flakes the fuck out every july but without him batting behind ortiz, big papi is going to finish the season with more walks than hits.
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 1:40 pm

i wanna hear about chicago: was there any death and destruction to be had in the city after the sox won?
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 2:08 pm

surprisingly no.
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Posted: Oct 28, 2005 3:54 pm

I thiink I'm gonna go over to the parade today. I'm just a block away. anyone else?
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Headed over there too. Watching WGN live on the computer to see once they make it downtown. I think they got going kinda late.
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 5:52 pm

Can't wait to see the ticker tape party cannons!!!!
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 5:54 pm

dang, another reason to miss working downtown.
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 6:42 pm

q: what do the white sox and bobby brown have in common?

a: they both beat houston four times last week.
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 6:45 pm

Blahaaaaa! Damn. That's terrible. As in terribly FUNNY!
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 7:27 pm

Ticker Tape Parade was cool, as was the Parade Float that was too tall to fit under the tracks. I'm also a big fan of drinking in the streets during the middle of the day.
However, I've never seen so many boobs in my life at one time, and unfortunately, I'm not talking about the fun, girl kind.
Posted: Oct 28, 2005 11:42 pm

disgusting Belushi ish man boobs?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®