Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / ROGER MILLER
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:42 pm

fans of this legendary and funny as HELL entertainer, check out the first-ever book on him, AIN'T GOT NO CIGARETTES. it's available on Amazon.

the book is a collection of interviews of many of Nashville and country music's regulars and greats--people on Roger's scene. i edited (extentively) all the material in the book and wrote much of the in-betweens.

working on this BLEW MY MIND. roger was funnier than everyone around him, talented as fuck, HEAVILY addicted to drugs--more so than Johnny or Waylon even, and--even though he wore a suit--truly one of the original punk rockers of Nashville. old footage of him on his own NBC TV show (which ran for only 13 episodes because he was too fucked up and unpredictable to keep it going), on Johnny Carson, the Flip Wilson Show, Nashville AM TV from the late 50s/early60s--will totally SLAY you. this guy was irreverent.

Dave the Spazz is going to interview the author on his show soon. i'll post it up.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:46 pm

That is GREAT! Can't wait to get it. Haven't been able to find out too much about him, so this is very exciting.

That old footage you speak of. Is that available compiled anywhere? I'd love to see that.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:14 pm

all that footage I saw at the Museum of TV and Radio here in NYC. It is NOT YET available, but that's why this first book is good--it should lead to a DVD (hopefully) and other things roger-related.

by the way, this book might well result in a lawsuit, so get a copy sooner rather than later. there was NO cooperation with Mary and Roger's estate--probably because of the drug revelations herein.

disclaimer: i worked on this for almost a year and then passed it off to a canadian publisher. the artwork is horrendous, a lot of photos were omitted, and not all the great material was included. but whatever. what's there should lead you to suss out other things.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:16 pm

excellent. will pick it up.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:20 pm

I gotta check this out.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:22 pm

I just went to Amazon, and it sez currently unavailable. Any retail outlets where I might have better luck?
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:23 pm

unavailable on amazon, but looks like mr. style has copies for sale on ebay.

is there really a foreword by toby keith? whoa.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:38 pm

yep, plus a dedication by tony joe white.

the publisher is canadian and has no US distribution at this point. they're just now getting copies to amazon. yeah, lyle put some on ebay, i guess. or you can backorder amazon.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 4:00 pm

who's the author?
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 4:12 pm

the moon is high and so am i the stars are out and so will i be...
prettysoon
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 4:22 pm

the "author" is lyle e style, but he really isn't the author 'cos there is no author. what he did was interview all these folks about roger. so, it's their words.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 4:40 pm

WILD, MAN, WILD!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:46 pm

I'll check out the book-Roger is beyond words. Caught a Flip Wilson show and Roger was on along with the Temptations. Good music- it is nowhere on TV, these days. My buddy, Mick Buck, curates the Country Music Hall of Fame and his next door neighbor is Roger's son, Dean.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:53 pm

I just got so excited I doo wacka a doo-ed myself.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:55 pm

i love roger miller, but saw THE worst tribute show to him a few years back on pbs(i think) and it was hosted by john goodman....JOHN GOODMAN! way to neuter those songs.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 6:40 pm

Why you no like the John Goodman, Arman?
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:11 pm

throw the ringer dude
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:51 pm

Did he ever reach for his revolver? Did it all get blown away?

anyway, whenever i'd talk to someone who knew him in Nashvegas, he would always comment on how quick witted he was.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:33 pm

sorry neil. i know how you feel about the big lebowski and all, but(t) fuck, it was cheesy as hell!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:45 pm

Jenna - thanks for the head's up on this book. I need this. So do some of my friends (Stagger, I'll be placing an order tomorrow)
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 9:46 pm

That I do not doubt. Was it the one with Marty Stewart doing "Dang Me?" And remember, JG does tons of VO work, so I reckon he'd say anything for a couple bucks. Don't hate the playa.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 10:21 pm | Edited by: jenna

ok, some of these didn't make the final cut, but this is the roster:

Merle Haggard
Biff Adam
Mickey Newbury
Jimmy Dean
Bubba Brown
Mel Tillis
Mickey Gilley
Jimmie Rodgers
Roy Clark
Don Bowman
Tom Brumley
Jim Owen
Ronnie Prophet
Jean Shepard
Buck Trent
Buck Owens
Waylon Jennings
Tompall Glaser
Jeannie Seely
Bill Anderson
Buddy Killen
Marty Stuart
Bobby Braddock
Cowboy Jack Clement
Billy Burnette
Billy Arr
Scotty Turner and Ted Harris
Merle Kilgore
Thom Bresh
Sheb Wooley
George Lindsay
Buddy Emmons
Fred Foster and Glenn Martin
Kris Kristofferson
Jimmy Snider and Gordy Collins
Bob Moore
Manuel
Curly Putnam
Robert Oermann
Captain Midnight
Bobby Bare
Bobby Goldsboro
Randy Hart
Steve Bess
Ray Walker and Gordon Stoker, The
Jordonaires
Jan Howard
Rick Marcelli
Robert Shields
Chuck Blore
Rocco Landesman
Dick Clark
Mason Williams
Gary Mule Deer
Paul English
Willie Nelson
Harold Bradley
Lee Rollag
Ron "Iceman" Shumake
Larry Graham
Ken Stange
Marshall Grant
Harry Anderson
David Allan Coe
Denis Linde
Harold and Don Reid, The Statler Brothers
Bill Mack
BJ Thomas
Steve Wariner
Dr. Ossoff
Marc Durham
Charlie Lamb
John Byner
Larry Richstein
Dwight Yoakam

there is a lot of repetition ("Roger Miller was the funniest cat." "Roger was always up all night long." etc.) but there are also quite a few Nashville-style tales in the book--Tootsie's, the Opry, etc.--as well as LA stuff. The goddamn coolest thing I discovered about Roger was that he only wrote that hugely famous first LP record (in the studio for the most part, almost totally spontaneously) to get out of his Smash Records contract so he could leave Nashville and try his hand at acting in LA. But then "King of Road" and "Dang Me" went ballistic and that's it! He had to get out there and take the crown. He HAD to. I mean, my god. And he held the record for the most Grammys ever won (starting in '64, '65) until Michael Jackson's Thriller. yep.

here's a brief passage. can you imagine pulling that stunt on Haggard? and not only that, but falling down in front of a crowd of thousands in your intro for the night?? this dude was fucking awesome.

Biff Adam

Biff Adam has been Merle Haggard’s drummer off and on for the last forty years.

Biff: One of my favorite memories of Roger is when Merle was just learning to play the fiddle. He had this fiddle that I think Bob Wills gave to him and he was real proud of it. So we were doing a show at the Hollywood Bowl and of course Roger came out to the show. Roger had this old fiddle that he picked up at a pawnshop, and when Merle introduced him, he came out and stumbled and fell and broke that fiddle all over the stage! Merle could have died because he thought it was his fiddle. Roger was always doing crazy things like that. Everybody in the band knew he was going to do it but Merle. Roger came out and said, "Hey Merle, I got your fiddle here. Can I come out and play fiddle with you guys?" Merle said, "Yeah," and Roger came out and stumbled and the fiddle broke in a hundred pieces. Merle didn’t know what to do!

I remember that Roger used to rent a Lear jet. He used to send one back to Nashville to get them little bitty Krystal Burgers! He loved them. He’d send for about a hundred of them and fly them back to Hollywood and pass them out to everybody.

Lyle: Merle told me a little about you wanting to beat up Jerry Lee Lewis at the King of the Road Hotel. What happened?

Biff: Clyde Griffin was the biggest Jerry Lee Lewis fan in the world. Clyde asked Jerry Lee to play his favorite song and Jerry Lee said, "I isn’t gonna play that song!" and threw a shotglass at him. I was feeling pretty good at the time and went after him, but Jerry Lee’s bodyguard got him out the door. The drunker I got, the madder I got. I walked all over that hotel trying to find him because I was going to kill him, or whip his ass anyway.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 10:27 pm

Don Bowman is the shit! Ever see "Hillbillies in a Haunted House"? Genius!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 10:33 pm

I had no idea he was such a cool guy...I've been listening to him since I was in diapers.
"My Uncle used to love me but she died, chicken ain't chicken till it's lickin good fried."
Great Stuff...
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 8:05 pm

Roger is on Terre T on WFMU
Check it out!
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 8:13 pm | Edited by: jenna

no, that's roger miller from mission of burma.

but dave the spazz will have lyle (the interviewer of all these folks) on sometime around january 2, which would have been roger's birthday.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 8:59 pm

Yeah oops, yer right...That's so funny. I'm a dumbass.
Posted: Nov 21, 2005 9:00 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

Jesus, this is horrible...I'm listening for fun now. WOW!
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 10:45 am

"My Uncle used to love me but she died, chicken ain't chicken till it's lickin good fried."

got this album (words and music) this morning.
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 11:58 am

I will be purchasing this book.
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 12:01 pm

thanks joe for digging up this old thread btw. i just recently completed my roger miller $1 LP collection.... look out for the 2 on Camdem "S/T" and "The One And Only". Those are the early 60s RCA pre-King Of The Road recordings...
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 12:25 pm

Please post the photos of Roger roller skating in a buffalo herd. Thank you.
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Fav Rog lines:
"Apples are for eatin and a snakes are for hissin."
"Roses are red violets are purple, sugar's sweet and so is maple surple."

1 funny mutha
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 12:59 pm

sippin' on some surple
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Pull The Twine -
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm

i just recently completed my roger miller $1 LP collection....

How many pieces does that take? I'm well on my way, but have never considered there to be an end to them...
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 6:11 am | Edited by: jenna

"Through a quirk of deliberate or accidental genius, what Style has actually assembled is a living document of country music in its hootin’, hollerin’ outlaw heyday, when the D.J. Captain Midnight ruled the airwaves, Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge was the ultimate hangout and everyone, it seems, was on cocaine--even the mimes.”
--The New York Times Book Review

(shameless self-promotion)
um, that "accidental genius" was me.

for the NY dwellers, go to the museum of TV & Radio and mine the archives of his nbc show and old show footage. you got to look into his eyes to understand the man.
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 10:14 am

Ever see "Hillbillies in a Haunted House"? Genius!

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 2:25 pm

i just recently completed my roger miller $1 LP collection....

How many pieces does that take? I'm well on my way, but have never considered there to be an end to them...

i stop around 1970.
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 11:25 am | Edited by: jenna

for the lucky ones who bought this (or got a free copy from me), it's now going for up to $1500 on amazon.

unload it.
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm

I totally love Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic.

Kidding. I know it's a different Roger Miller.
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey Tom, how do you like your glasses?
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Lotsa! Thanks, Joe!!
Posted: Jan 17, 2013 2:52 pm

it's now going for up to $1500 on amazon

Holy crap! Wish I'd bought a copy.

WorldCat shows copies in 90 libraries so if you just want to read it you might be able to get it through Interlibrary Loan. Don't tell them what it's worth, though, or the owning library will put it in Special Collections.
Posted: Jan 19, 2013 11:42 am

WorldCat

Another Inter-Library Loan user! We need a separate topic on greatest ILL scores! Access to the Jackson Five Box Set booklet? Having a Cramps poster on your wall for an important 2 week stretch of time?
Posted: Jan 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Another Inter-Library Loan user! We need a separate topic on greatest ILL scores! Access to the Jackson Five Box Set booklet? Having a Cramps poster on your wall for an important 2 week stretch of time?

I'll miss Worldcat more than anything else in college after I graduate.

Waiting for Roger Miller book to arrive...
Posted: Jan 24, 2013 12:43 pm

I got Ricky Jay's "Cards as Weapons" threw Inter-library Loan....made a quality color copy of it cover to cover..

http://www.amazon.com/Cards-As-Weapons-Ricky-Jay/dp/0446387568
Posted: Jan 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Fantastic book, almost impossible to put down. The idea of him and Richard Pryor hanging out in Vegas blew my mind.

Also for the World Cat folks...the Syl Johnson "Complete Mythology" set is on there on LP!
Posted: Jan 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Oh you have read it? I stole a pic of some Kaiser's doing exercises for a TSOT flyer.

I realy do feel more confident walking down the street with a pack of cards in my pocket.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®