Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Top 102 punk albums
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:21 am

Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:29 am

74. Skanking Pickle - Sing Along With

this has always been my 74th favorite punk record.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:26 pm

well, with green day above london calling and any ramones records... may as well write this list off as something truly stupid
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:48 pm

The Stooges "Raw Power" was a runner up for #101 but was beaten out by Ben Weasle's solo album

Also, Dead Boys "Young Loud Snotty" almost made #102 (dead last).

Moron. I'd be willing to cut him some slack if maybe he hasnt been exposed to decent music... but this dude needs to be burnt at the stake.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:18 pm

...or, the 102 punk rawk compact discs I own ranked in order of my favorite to least favorite.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:28 pm

wow, i don't think i'll be looking at this.
Most lists like this are always fuckin' useless
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:29 pm

obviously not
at least the clash was number 3 but the rest was all wrong
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:30 pm

You should look, it's pretty funny.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 4:41 pm

30% off all copies of 19. At The Drive In - Relationship of A Command cds in stock- today only!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:15 pm

lagwagon just edges out the angry samoans and the saints in my book, too. in the 100 slot of course.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:22 pm

Moron. I'd be willing to cut him some slack if maybe he hasnt been exposed to decent music... but this dude needs to be burnt at the stake.

They say at the top that 4000+ votes were cast.
Looks like you'll be spending this week's paycheck on lighter fluid.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:24 pm

And for the record (ha), I counted three NoFx records above Singles Going Steady. Three.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:52 pm

The Cramps album included, Flame Job, is the Cramps at their worst.
What a wretched list. Surely there are better lists of punk classics somewhere on the godforsaken computer highway?
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 6:14 pm

They say at the top that 4000+ votes were cast.

Oh I see, it was a vote from a buncha random morons. Now it makes more sense. I mean... thats how Bush got elected.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 6:24 pm

No way dude. I don't know if you remember, but he wasn't exactly "elected."
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 6:48 pm

Back off, guys. He's had his copy of Milo Goes to College for ALMOST ten years, so you know he's serious.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:01 pm

"Rocket to Russia" is definitely a worse album than The Offspring's "Ixnay on the Hombre". Great list!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:02 pm

Back off, guys. He's had his copy of Milo Goes to College for ALMOST ten years, so you know he's serious.

AND it was the compact disc that came with the FAT ep, so it kinda has an unfair advantage.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:28 pm

Oh I see, it was a vote from a buncha random morons. Now it makes more sense. I mean... thats how Bush got elected.

hahaha. exactly.

when i looked at this list i didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:42 pm

Most of the reviews are stolen from users at Amazon.com. I'm lovin it! Of the 163 albums listed I have 31. What's stranger is that before reading this list I was sitting upon my throne reading the "Goldmine Heavy Metal Record Price Guide". Gla4cier. Kick Axe. Tucky Buzzard.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:51 pm

all those records stink!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:51 pm

out of 163 I have 34
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 9:04 pm

Too crappy to even comment, except that I own 27.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 9:06 pm

"thats how bush got elected"

nothing like an intelligent ass political observation. way to keep us enlightened.

Music lists are a retarded way to show how cool you think you are on some internet site. Hey lets make a list of good cd's!!! Thats gay. Get an Xbox and do something productive.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 10:08 pm

Like posting on a forum???
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 3:18 am

The Dwarves 'Young and Good Looking' is higher up than 'Blood Guts and Pussy'.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 4:36 am

keeps coming up as "cannot find server" on my comp. Somebody cut and paste this list in here, please.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 4:51 am

After all the voting and all the work, we have the punknews top 100 albums (actually the top 102). There were a load of surprises and even though it seems like everyone was complaining about certain albums getting through the fact is people were voting for them. The poll was just a little bit of fun and 4014 votes were cast and thanks to everyone who voted. Enough from me, here is the list...
1. Operation Ivy - Energy

This is it (apparently); best punk (yes I know, it's "ska punk") album. The energy, the emotion, and the musicality- nothing else even comes close. And unlike a lot of punk/hardcore classics, this hasn't dated or aged a bit. It still sounds incredible. And if, by some bizarre chance, you are reading this and you do not already own it, go and get it now. I mean IMMEDIATELY. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, just go. (Billy Pilgrim, Detroit from Amazon)

2. Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose

Against Me is like a four leaf clover. Not entirely different, yet completely unique. The passion that they play with is so rare to find and their blend of punk rock, almost folksy vocals and honest love of music will strike a chord within the truest of all music lovers.

Highlights of the album (for me) were definitely Walking Is Still Honest, I Still Love You Julie and Reinventing Axl Rose. Positively a band not to pass up! (Audra, Sheboygan WI, USA - from Amazon)

3. The Clash - The Clash

What an important band in the history of music. And of course the debut is amazing. True garage-punk, with poignant lyrics, and just great songs. With every note and word you're hanging on to see what's next, and with Joe Strummer's mumbled words you're hanging on even more to hear what he's saying. It's also a very interesting album. what i like to call advanced Punk. It's punk, but it's not. Either way this is probably the most essential debut ever, and maybe The Clash's best album next to London calling. If you're interested in the Clash don't buy the best of's; you must digest the albums individual. Start off with this one, you'll love it. (ďSalingerĒ Danny, Colorado - from Amazon)

4. Green Day - Dookie

Sure it was "Longview" and "Basket Case" that made this one a hit, but the band has a good sense of humour and melody that maintains itself throughout the CD. Trying to maintain a punk sensibility, they betray themselves with just a bit too much cleverness; It tends to soften the anger and impact of the songs. But it's just that humour that made Green Day standout among their peers. (J.Carroll, Island Heights, NJ - from Amazon)

5. The Clash - London Calling

This album and The Clash's debut album are the two greatest punk albums ever made. This album isn't merely a great punk album. There first album is true punk. This album, however, is much more. True, songs like London Calling, Clampdown and Guns Of Brixton are real punk songs along with many others on the album. Train in Vain, however, is very similar to a mainstream rock song at the time. Brand New Cadillac and Jimmy Jazz do have a punk sound, but they are almost classic swing songs with distortion. Rudie Can't Fail, Spanish Bombs and Wrong 'Em Boyo are close to being Pop Rock songs. And no, that isn't a bad thing. It could be, but here it is good. Everyone should own this album. It is not only a punk classic, but it is a Rock classic. (G. Scagnelli, Cape Cod, MA - from Amazon)

6. Descendents - Milo Goes To College

This has got to be one of my favourite punk CD's of all time-so many unforgettable songs to choose from. I went to the music store and brought this one pretty much on a whim-I figured I would get two releases for the price of one. I have probably had this CD going on ten years now and I can still listen to it and love it just as much as the first time I heard it. It is a complete classic-from the beginning to the end-it is so catchy, intense, and melodic. If this CD does not get you moving, nothing will. This is definitely a good CD to start off a punk collection with-highly recommended. (grnvk, TP, ILL, USA - from Amazon)

7. Minor Threat - Minor Threat (Complete Discography)

Whether this band really was responsible for the straight edge movement is irrelevant. This early eighties hardcore band from Washington DC were a major influence not only in their music, but in their standpoint from their local scene to people around the world. Fast and angry, their songs argue that they donít see why they should have to behave in the same way as other people. While I am not straight edge myself, I certainly agree with a lot of the points they convey in this discography set to an amazing score. (Andy)

8. Propaghandi - Less Talk More Rock

As stated, this album is re-freakin-diculous. Some of the best political punk Iíve ever heard. My one argument against it is its length. Ahhh, itís just over a half hour long. Needless to say there is some craziness in that half hour. A good addition to any music fan's collection. Go out and give them your money. (Skankin Forever, Orlando, FL - from Amazon)

9. Refused - The Shape of Punk To Come

When i got this disc, i was not only surprised, I was blown away... this band is amazing, hardcore to the extreme... but not your normal hardcore... an they are not punk either... they can simply be called refused... pick up songs to fan the flames of discontent also... itís heavier and amazing as well. (Rik Deakins, Ch, OH - from Amazon)

10. Descendents - Everything Sucks

While too short for my taste, there are just so many things that make it better. With awesome guitar playing and a good punk singer, I can listen to this CD over and over and over and over and over...you get the picture. I like the short interludes about Eunuchs and caffeine, which add some flavour to the album. I like the overall feel of the album. Go buy it, FOOL!!! (SLIM TIM, The Westside, USA - from Amazon)

11. Capdown - Civil Disobedient

This album for me, like many other people around my age, is largely responsible for my introduction to the punk scene. At the age of 13, going through the nu-metal phase of my life, this album gave me a relatively accessible sound but was totally different to anything I knew. It helped CapDown to get well on their way down the road to success and still to this date, tracks such as 'Ska Wars' and ''Cousin Cleotis' are favourites among CapDown audiences years on from their release. Despite slightly poor production and being the band's debut album; it is one that still appeals greatly to many people, even those who have moved on to smaller and more underground things. After its release in the earlier days of the ska-core genre, it remains a quality many other bands simply haven't been able to live up to - truly a classic album!

12. Snuff - Snuff Said

Singing drummers and guitars going off on metal tangents in the early nineties was always going to be interesting for a London punk band. This album just blows me away with some of the best sing-a-longs I know, without being aware of most of the lyrics. Every now and then it veers off in interesting ways and not without humour too (Iím sure there are some Black Sabbath riffs in there). I cannot imagine being without this album in my collection as it is always comforting, getting back from the pub, putting this on, cranking the volume and see if I can sing these songs. (Andy)

13. The Ramones - The Ramones

The 1976 first Ramones album is my favourite punk album, and the Rhino Re-masters are great. The album starts with Blitzkrieg Bop, the most exploited song. If this is all you know by the Ramones, you might also like songs such as Loudmouth and Beat on the Brat. The Ramones made songs about things they really felt. They didn't get too trendy or faked anything. Their honesty and humbleness were great additions to the speed and high volume heard in the intense songs. My favourite songs are Havana Affair, which is an honest political satire song, and Chainsaw, an example of their enthusiasm for horror movies. Many fans of punk rock acknowledge the ramones without really getting into their albums. I believe that many people ignore the ramones because they stayed away from following punk scenes and stuck with their simple formula up until the final concert in 1996. I highly recommend the first album from one of the toughest bands, The Ramones. (J.Maracshky, Cleveland - from Amazon)

14. Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview/Losing Streak

This Cd is some of the best Less than Jake I have ever heard. When I first started listening to ska I was in love with this CD. I still am. What I think makes this CD so good is Less than Jake's use of their horns, which can make or break any ska. You'll find that Less than Jake uses them a little less than in some of their other CD's like in "Losing Streak" and "Pez Core", but it still sounds terrific. Unlike in "Borders and Boundaries", "Hello Rockview" uses the brass as more of the body of the music, which gives it a very full and rich sound (if you like brass instruments that is). Furthermore, Less than Jake uses both ska guitar and more hardcore guitar ina good combination, which gives it a more unique ska sound. If your thinking about getting a ska CD and don't already have this one, get it! This is a CD where every track is worth your money! (Alex, USA - from Amazon)

15. Dead Kennedyís - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Whenever I hear people talking about what real punk rock music is (these are the same people who listen to Blink 182 and love emo), I think about the Dead Kennedyís: a band who was, is, and always will be the definition of "true punk rock", and "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" proves it again and again with every listen. Vocalist Jello Biafra's politically charged, tongue-in-cheek, and sometimes hilarious lyrics fuel classic songs like "Kill the Poor", "Let's Lynch the
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 4:51 am

16. Capdown - Pound For The Sound

Capdownís first effort, Civil Disobedient, set a blueprint for a unique brand of ska-core but it was Pound For the Sound that signalled them really making that sound their own. It saw them claim the recognition they had earned honing their craft on countless tours plus the songs on it were finely crafted, intelligent, powerful and exciting. Probably the most successful UK punk band of recent years, Capdown have spawned many inferior imitators, but they had a sound truly their own on this record. (Rich)

17. Nofx - Ribbed

Ribbed marked a huge turning point for NOFX, both in terms of song writing and of popularity. Past albums were dogged with drawn out, unmemorable, uninspiring songs always sung irritatingly flat. This album was the first in their back catalogue to feature so many excellently-written, hugely influential songs that were only sung a bit flat. Itís by no means flawless but it marked the beginning of an attitude shift and a different direction for punk to be taken and its influence can still be heard in a million copycat bands. Many of whom frequent their very own records label. (Rich)

18. Adequate 7 - Songs of Innocence and Experience

Adequate Seven were at the forefront of a group of Household Name bands determined to inject some much-needed originality into a floundering ska punk scene. Taking some members from more traditional ska outfit Shootin Goon, AD7 combined a hard-edged punk sound with funk and soul inspired horns and breakdowns. Best of all the combination actually worked and they had great songs to back it up, making them a vital band amongst those that had neither their originality nor their song writing ability. (Rich)

19. At The Drive In - Relationship of A Command

There are few bands out there that have such a sound. At the drive-ins sound is hard to clasify, just raw power. The deafening sounds of the guitars, the unusual time signatures used, they all show a glimpse of what would become Sparta and The Mars Volta.

Between the raw guitar chords is an ever so sweet melody that is impossible to forget. Cedric's vocals are shouted with passion. There are no lack-lustre tracks here, this is not a collection of singles this is an album. All 12 tracks are unique and special in some kind of way.

There are few bands out there that can restore my faith in music, specially these days; At the drive-in is one of them. Five stars. (Music Worshipper, San Isidro, Lima Peru - from Amazon)

20. Green Day - Insomniac

This Album was the difficult follow up to Dookie, some say this is a poor album, but I think that song after song it has solid punk little numbers that compete with anything Dookie has to offer. The riffs are simple yet joyous and the vocals are raw. This is a perfect pop-punk record. (Durden)

21. 7 Seconds - The Crew

22. Nofx - Punk In Drublic

23. Ye Wiles - Fine Words Parsnips No Butter

24. Rancid - Lets Go

25. Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction

26. Black Flag - Damaged

27. Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material

28. Propaghandi - How To Clean Everything

29. The Filaments - Whatís Next?

30. Kid Dynamite - kid Dynamite

31. Bad Religion - Suffer

32. Figure 4.0 - Action Image Exchange

33. Pennywise - Full Circle

34. Rancid - ...And Out Come The Wolves

35. Nofx - White Trash Two Heebs And A Been

36. Bad Religion - How Could Hell Be Any Worse

37. Choking Victim - No Gods No Managers

38. The Offspring - Ixnay On The Hombre

39. Jawbreaker - Dear You

40. Nofx - So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes

41. Leatherface - Mush

42. Good Riddance - Operation Phoenix

43. The Clash - Give ĎEm Enough Rope

44. Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

45. Nofx - Pump Up The Valium

46. Jets Vís Sharks - Our Bodyís Our Anchors

47. Gumoll - Board Of Rejection

48. The Vandals - Hitler Bad Vandals Good

49. Misfits - Walk Among Us

50. Kid Dynamite - Shorter Faster Louder

51. Bad Brains - Rock For Light

52. Rancid - Rancid (93 Version)

53. Misfits - Static Age

54. Green Day 1089 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

55. Bad Religion - Against The Grain

56. A.F.I - Answer That And Stay Fashionable

57. Green Day - American Idiot

58. The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks

59. Dauntless Elite - Security

60. Sick Of It All - Scratch The Surface

61. Against Me! - Acoustic E.P

62. Bad Religion - No Control

63. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

64. Youth Of Today - We Are Not In This Alone

65. Sick Of It All - Call To Arms

66. All - Allroys Revenge

67. Rancid Life - Life Wont Wait

68. The Ramones - Leave Home

69. Strung Out - Twisted By Design

70. Gorilla Biscuits - Gorilla Biscuits

71. The Queers - Beat Off

72. Ghost Mice - Ghost Mice

73. Anti-Flag - A New Kind Of Army

74. Skanking Pickle - Sing Along With

75. Pennywise - About Time

76. Boris The Sprinkler - Sucks

77. The Dwarves - ...Are Young And Good Looking

78. The Lurkers - Fulham Fallout

79. Agnostic Front - Somethingís Gotta Give

80. The Ramones - Road To Ruin

81. Subhumans - Incorrect Thoughts

82. Husker Du - Zen Arcade

83. The Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

84. The Ramones - Rocket To Russia

85. The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

86. Bad Religion - Generator

87. Lagwagon - Duh!

88. Swinging Utters - Live In A Dive

89. The Dwarves - Blood Guts And Pussy

90. Dillinger Four Midwestern Songs Of The Alliance

91. Bad Religion - The Grey Race

92. Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts

93. Crass - The Feeding of the Five Thousand
(-). Billy Bragg - Back To Basics
(-). Against All Authority - Destroy What Destroys You
(-). Dag Nasty - Can I Say

94. Death by Stereo - Day of the Death
(-). Bad Religion - All Ages
(-). Nofx - Heavy Petting Zoo
(-). Screeching Weasel - Anthem for a New World
(-). Converge - Jane Doe

95. All - Mass Nerder
(-). Cocksparrer - England Belongs To Me
(-). Minutemen - Double Nickels On the Dime
(-). Suicide Machines - Destruction of Definition
(-). Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning
(-). Descendents - All

96. Sense Field - Building
(-).The Dwarves - Thank Heaven for Little Girls
(-). The Dwarves - The Dwarves Come Clean
(-). Youth Brigade - Sound and Furry
(-). Black Flag - The First Four Years
(-). Tear It up - Nothing to Nothing
(-). The Dickies - The Incredible Shrinking Dickies
(-). Pinhead Gunpowder - Jump Salty
(-). Social Distortion - Mommyís Little Monster
(-). All - Allroy Saves
(-).Strung Out - Suburban Teenage Wasteland

97. X-Ray Specs - Germ Free Adolescents
(-).Farside - The Monroe Doctrine
(-).Jets To Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
(-).The Exploited - Punks Not Dead
(-).J Church - The Drama of Alienation
(-).Crass - Christ the Album
(-).The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
(-).Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
(-).The Cramps - Flame Job
(-).Guns And Wankers - For Listening and Dancing
(-).Spermbirds - Something to Prove

99. The Boys - The Boys
(-).Hanson Brothers - Gross Misconduct
(-).Adolescents - Adolescent
(-).Voodoo Glow Skulls - Steady as She Goes
(-).Poison Idea - Feel the Darkness
(-).The Newtown Grunts - Disgruntled
(-).No Means No - Wrong

100. Lagwagon - Trashed
(-).Tilt - Viewers like You
(-).Chain Of Strength - The One Thing That Still Holds True
(-).Lifetime - Hello Bastards
(-).Saints - Iím Stranded
(-).Adam Ant - Friend or Foe
(-).Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists
(-).T.S.O.L - The Black E.P
(-).The Buzzcocks - Same Noise, Different Kitchen
(-).Spermbirds - Nothing Is Easy
(-).The Pavers - Return to the Island of No Return
(-).Angry Samoans - Back to Samoa
(-).Cheery Reds - Fairy Tale of New York
(-).Adam And the Ants - Dirk Wears White Socks

101. Ben Weasel - Fidateyi
(-).J Church - Arbor Vitae (1)
(-).Cleveland Bound Death Sentence - Cleveland Bound Death Sentence
(-).Instead - What We Believe
(-).Quicksand - Manic Compression (1)
(-).Iggy And The Stooges - Raw Power
(-).Watt Tyler - Forever Blowing Bubbles
(-).Nofx - Liberal Animation
(-).The Dickies - The Dawn of the Dickies

102. F-Word - Live Album
(-).Husker Du - Metal Circus
(-).Anti-Flag - Terror State
(-).Dead Boys - Young Loud and Snotty
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 4:53 am

whoever voted on this is pretty retarded
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:15 am

That's funny, seeing the Bouncing Souls on this list.

Long time ago, before they moved to L.A. and decided to play whatever it is they play, they lived in central NJ and sounded for all the world like a Chili Peppers cover band.

But this is neither here nor there - just reminiscing.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:22 am | Edited by: razor shines

45 out of the bazillion listed I actually own. I also owned another twenty of the CDs on that list and sold them at one time or another. Didn't expect to see The Boys on the list. And what's up with Boris the Sprinkler ranking relatively high? Were 3000 of the 4000 people voting on that list even old enough to have read Rev. Norb in MRR cause that would be the only reason I could think of that people would even own one of their albums.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 7:07 pm

the adverts are no where on the list....'crossing the red sea with the adverts' is probably one of the top five punk records ever, top 10 at least. fantastic list overall
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 7:22 pm

Not to get picky on an already rediculous list, but isnt converge a hardcore band?
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 8:21 pm

about 90 of those aren't "punk" bands
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 6:53 am

I just stumbled upon "stumbleupon.com" and installed it on my browser, and when I get bored, I let it take me places ("punk rock" is one of my filters)
Here's a MUCH BETTER LIST (sorry if it may have made an appearance recently. it seems familiar...)

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-punk.html
its the 100 greatest punk songs. much better than the 102 lamest records ever
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 5:25 pm

The list is just as shitty....Fugazi...Rites of Spring....right....
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 5:36 pm

I've wanted to get into punk for years , now I have an idea of where to start.

when i looked at this list i didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

I'd say cry.
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 5:58 pm

The list is just as shitty.

its a LOT more punk than the 102 punk albums, however. you may not agree w/ it (and i don't) but its WAY closer than that other list. it had several punk records on it
Posted: Oct 18, 2005 9:41 pm

Yeh but it's still terrible.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 12:43 am

well, lists pretty much suck being as they are TOTALLY subjective. when i was at VH1, my boss completely editorialized the 100 Greatest franchise to suit the channel's needs.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 9:03 pm

How funny that Green Day's "Dookie" is sandwiched between two Clash albums at the top when it shouldn't even have made the list.
That's what I call a shit sandwich!
Unless you're "listing" in a boat at sea in a hurricane, lists are for bored nerds with no life, and certainly not for punk-rockers.
Posted: Oct 19, 2005 10:35 pm

lists are for bored nerds with no life
Yeah, lists are not for cool-guy, go-getters like us who hang out on internet message boards all day.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®