Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Another Homemaking Post--Lasagne recipe?????
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 2:35 am

I wanna make a good lasagna--they are always good, but anyone have a sauce recipe that they swear by? Or a crazy three cheese lasagna? Post away.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:30 am

I made a baked ziti last night. Sauce from a jar and recipe from the back of the ziti package. It was magnificent.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:31 am

Actually I added a layer of mozarella on the top that wasn't called for. Livin' dangeroulsy these days, ya know?
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:33 am

goat cheese and ricotta salata and fresh mozz-

believe me.

as for sauce- 2 10oz cans roma tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, and white wine. simmer for three hours.

oh yeah- homemade italian sausage,,,,,,,
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:12 am

What kind of goat cheese do you use--chevre? Do you mix it with the ricotta?
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:19 am

I think twinkle's advice is definitely worth heeding.

in addition, what I like to do when making it is to undercook the noodles when you're boiling them- they should be damned al dente. then make your sauce extra runny. if you do it right the noodles will finish cooking in the moisture of the sauce and impart extra flavor.

and always err on the side of moist. dry lasagne sucks. if it's too wet when it comes out of the oven that means the leftovers will be just perfect, so don't fret.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:39 am

Ask Garfield.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:39 am

oooh...good advice Martel. This is my last free week before I start a brutal new job and I am going to make some crazy foodstuffs.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:09 am

always throw an egg or two in the ricotta cheese, mix well. it makes the cheese fluffier and richer as well. if it's not too much of a pain in the ass get some fresh pasta, buy the sheets. make the whole lasagna and cook it for about an hour or so.
don't forget mozzarella on top!
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:15 am

you can also cook lasagne w/o first boiling the noodles - there's a kind of noodle made for that. cuts a step. you just have to make sure your sauce is really really wet

i mix ricotta cheese, chevre, shredded mozzarella (whole milk) w/ a bunch of herbs

we greeks make our "lasagne" two different ways - one w/ red sauce, basically indistinguishable from italian lasagne except for the amount of oregano (we over do it) OR ELSE we make a white lasagne w/ bechamel sauce and a hint of cinnamon/nutmeg; often spinach is involved. use feta instead of chevre here.

for the topping, i always mix shredded mozzarella w/ parmesano-reggiano and bread crumbs. the bread crumbs add some great crunch texture.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:22 am

wow, that's a great touch with the breadcrumb topping. i'mma have to try that.
fresh pasta is the best...it's so much softer; almost melts in your mouth. like stated above, make sure you have a runnier sauce and a lot of the time the oils from the cheese'll help soften it up.
after you assemble the lasagna throw a peice of plastic wrap over it, then foil. the plastic wrap helps keep all the moisture in.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:25 am

I am all about crunchy topping. Use the pan that gives you the most surface area! I think people like a deep lasagne, but I like a crunchy topping...
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:30 am

it's a great topping for homemade macaroni and cheese as well. toss a little breadcrumbs, olive oil and parsley and bake.
that's another great recipe to try fierydrunk...make some homemade 4 cheese macaroni and cheese.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:43 am

and use a pan with a large surface area!!! maximize crunchy topping

what's your fave 4-cheese combo?

cheddar / swiss / mozzarella / gorgonzola tends to be mine, although i am frequently replacing gorgonzola with pepper jack

i start w/ a bechamel sauce base.... do you? its really quite worth the trouble.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:57 am

for macaroni and cheese i usually go cheddar, mozzarella, fontina and parmesano-reggiano. i love fontina because it adds a little more bite than cheddar does.
the bechamel is always the way to go. do you add onions? that's the key...
fresh ground nutmeg a pinch of cayenne.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:37 am

mom always uses a crazy deep pan- about 6" with a nice layer of mozzerella on top that browns up well. not traditional, and nothing fancy, but days of oh my god good gooeyness.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:48 pm

decadent / important ingredients for baked mac & cheese (Uncle Ted's version):
truffles, sun dried tomatoes, breadcrumbs.

and if he's feeling generous, shredded sheets of paper-thin edible 18K gold.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:06 pm

I do add onions! Always. Onions and shallots wilted in BUTTER.
Cheese is a good thing.
I have been known to add hot sauce into the bechamel as it cools.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:15 pm

A teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes is nice, too.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:44 pm

fresh pasta question:
so i buy fresh lasagne, don't cook it, lay it in there with super wet sauce?

thanks for all the great ideas y'all...
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:46 pm

fresh pasta takes about 2 minutes to cook in boiling water - so yeah DON'T COOK IT before laying it into your lasagne. just use super wet sauce.

don't know about anyone else, but my bottom layer is always pasta - well, pasta over a thin coating of sauce (pasta will soak up sauce in baking)
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 7:36 pm | Edited by: elle

usually, i make a sauce by using fresh tomatoes, about a pound and a half of them. chop them up all to shit. dump in a fuckton of pressed garlic. i'm talking about maybe 6 or 7 cloves worth. i like garlic, so i abuse it. dump in some water (not a lot, maybe 1/4 cup), a little bit of olive oil, fresh basil, red wine (i'm partial to this), some oregano, salt, black pepper, and about a teaspoon of sugar. cook that shit. simmmmmmmer. (i'm horrible with times and measurements. this is all guessing to me. i just kind of like to throw stuff in a pan and cook and it works somehow).

fresh lasagna. yes. lay it in there with the sauce.

i also like to mix in a little bit of olive oil and an egg with my ricotta to keep it from getting gross. i sometimes add pesto if i'm in the mood. sometimes nutmeg.

i like to add in veggies - especially squash and zucchini to it. i also add roma tomatoes to the top of it.

my fav cheese combos - ricotta, asiago, parmesan, romano, mozzarella.

back when i did eat beef and pork, i would add in italian sausage, hamburger meat, pepperonis (the HUGE ones) too. worked out quite wonderfully.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 7:49 pm

if you want a little sicilian or greek touch, try adding blood orange juice in combo w/ red wine to your sauce. it will really BRIGHTEN up the taste of the tomatoes... esp. if they are from a can
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 7:57 pm

This is my new favorite thread. I've never made homemade sauce before but I sure will this weekend.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:00 pm

try adding blood orange juice

that's a really good idea. i'll have to try that out. i love blood oranges. love love love them. i made a salad earlier this year with arugula, blood oranges, bleu cheese, pistachios and a citrusy-vinaigrette. quite good stuff. i want to try a dessert with them. any suggestions?
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:11 pm

a little balsamic vinagar is a good touch to a red sauce as well. gives it some bottom end.
i always do three layers for lasagna: a little sauce on the bottom, pasta, some ground beef topped with mozzarella and oregano, pasta, ricotta filling, pasta, sauce, mozzarella/parmeasan cheese.
the great thing about using fresh pasta and just cooking it straight in the oven with everything else is you can't really overcook it (unless you leave it in there for a long, long time). it just gets more moist and soft...i'm making myself hungry.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:16 pm

blood orange granitas is easy to make
you just juice and freeze in a big pan, stir it up, re-freeze, stir it up, etc.
any recipe for meyer lemons translate well for blood oranges.
now that they're grown in FLA and CA, you can get them year-round instead of only in winter.

i like throwing a splash of blood orange juice on top of a martini glass full of iced vodka. mm that's amazing.

you can also make a blood orange syrup reduction kinda thing - lots blood orange juice, simple syrup (basically sugar water - oh please don't use corn syrup).... OR make caramel (ie: melt sugar in heavy-bottomed pan - stainless steel) and instead of adding milk (where you would get dulce de leche), add blood orange juice - and get something wild and syruppy

good over ice cream, pound cake, berries
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:19 pm

Ask Garfield.
just not today.
He HATES Mondays
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:23 pm

HAHA! That Garfield...
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:25 pm

Yeah, he's a nut. At least he doesn't terrorize the neighborhood like some other cat...
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:35 pm

i like throwing a splash of blood orange juice on top of a martini glass full of iced vodka. mm that's amazing.

hrmmm. i might try the granitas thing with some vodka in it. have an entire bottle of ketel one sitting in my freezer right now and need something to do with it. :)
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 9:51 pm

Another good blood orange thing is... beet salad!!

Some quartered beets, really good olive oil, some arugula, shallots, and blood orange sections. The oil, beet juice, and orange juice will mingle (it's good to let this rest for about and hour before eating) and make a super good "dressing." Be sure to throw in a little sea salt and some pepper.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 9:58 pm

And, there's always liquor!

My dad uses myer lemons to make his own limoncello, and it is the shit! You can do it with almost anything, and it goes like this:

Buy a gallon of everclear, or some other cheap, at least 90-proof, grain alcohol. Put in a bucket. Suspend whatever you want (lemons, blood oranges- dad sometimes even uses black walnuts) about an inch over the bucket with cheesecloth, and then let the whole thing hang out for three months.

Then, make some siple syrup, and add it to the booze. The final mixture should be 50/50 syrup/booze. Tastes great over ice (or in iced tea) in the summer, and straight up in the winter.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 10:08 pm

you make absinthe almost the same way. need a tincture of wormwood, aged at least 30 days in everclear - w/ buncha other tinctured herbs, fruits, etc (anise - stuff like that) each tinctured discretely; mix w/ simple syrup, add green color. voila. you are arthur rimbaud; vincent van gogh or whomever.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 11:07 pm

Also- another good salad with blood oranges:

blood oranges, sectioned
avocado
oil-cured olives(minced)- NOT black olives, put something from spain or italy
REAL balsamic
olive oil
sea salt

It's good if you just sort of arrange the avos and oranges on the plate, toss some olives over it, and drizzle a bit of the oil and balsamic over the top, and then sprinkle with sea salt.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 11:18 pm

Who on this thread has ever had a Scroppino????

Scroppino (scropino)
Caconti's Scroppino Recipe Adapted from a secret Venetian recipe

* 1 pint lemon gelato or sorbet
* 1/4 cup vodka
* 1/4 cup champagne(sweet not dry)
* 4 tablespoons whipping cream

Pour all of the ingredients in the blender and mix well for 30-45 seconds, or until smooth and frothy. Serve and Enjoy!
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 11:24 pm

Scroppino????

sounds like another interesting drink concoction that i need to try.

and that blood orange/avocado salad sounds interesting too.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 11:24 pm

you're a scroppino.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:15 am

My dad's a huge food nerd, and he's always got some interesting recipes on his website- and if you're in Portland, he's got restaurant reviews galore.

www.realgoodfood.com
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:44 am

"Everybody Must Get Stoned...

Stone fruit that is"

Your dad is a funny guy!
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:49 am

Funny thing is, he DOES like to get stoned, in the hippie sense of the word.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 1:12 am

My dad too. He once asked me for blow. I'd never in a million years.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 1:23 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

The Scroppino, while a vaguely disgusting name, is a mighty good drink that will get you nicely toasted. It is really good for outdoor parties, but I like it any old time.

Thanks Joe for the link! YOUR DAD is THE Jim Dixon?!?!??!?! Wow! He's a bad ass. I bet you have all the good olive oil at your place, huh?
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 2:30 am

Yeah- that shit's like crack!

The salt, too.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 12:40 am | Edited by: clubber lang

scorch minced onions and garlic in olive oil only for a minute until they start to turn a little green. its like this secret hidden mario world level of flavor that goes away if you cook it too long. add that to your sauce marinade and simmer it all day.

i like spinach and proscuitto (sp?) layered thinly into the lasagna noodles.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:28 am

I bought fresh mozzarella for the top this time--should I beware of burning this? How could I prevent totally scorching the mozz? I also got fresh lasagne--tomorrow is the big night. This place Pastaworks sells fresh meats (inc. the sausage I bought for it), fresh pastas, fancy olive oils, fancy cheeses, salts etc.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 6:08 am

you prevent scorching the mozz by covering your lasagne with foil until the last 10 minutes or so of baking.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:42 pm

PERFECT--never again will I use anything but fresh pasta and fresh mozzarella for lasagna!!!!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:45 pm

How was the sauce? What did you decide on?
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 10:30 pm

OK, I cheated. I used a jarred Putanesca (sp?) but added garlic, onion and really good spicy Italian sausage. I used good parm, ricotta and slices of ovaline mozzarella for the top. I was most impresssed with the taste and texture of the fresh noodles, though the whole thing was sublime, really! I never want a gummy thick boiled noodle again!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 10:35 pm

Trader Joe's makes a pretty good jarred Putanesca for, like, 2 bucks.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 10:37 pm

Joe...do you help your dad at the Farmer's Market? I am going the next time he is there. Email me via the board and let me know.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 10:41 pm

Yeah, sometimes I do. I'll let you know when he's there next.
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 12:38 am

hello ms.Young,this is jeff gunn, I like to put basil leaves between layers,and always remember to salt&pepper the riccota-egg mixture! One time I did'nt cook my italian sausage all the way(this was a Hell of a long time ago)and everybody that ate it had a regergitation-diareah-puke your guts out -soiled underware party!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!! Poision Lasagne is Fun Lasagne!!!!!!!!! Next time I'll use raw chicken,or bird feces,Yummy YummyYummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 12:39 am

delicious
Posted: Oct 10, 2005 7:34 am

I wasn't hungry until I took a break from writing and looked at this thread. Now I'm starving. Who wants to come over and make lasagne for this malnourished young man with no money? Any takers?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®