Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Decorating on the (relatively) Cheap--help!
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 1:19 am

OK, I am ready to replace our sofa/couch and have no idea where to look for a decent and comfy sofa that doesn't break the bank. Any ideas? I am tired of buying crap from estate sales that you can never get the smoke out of, so while I don't mind used I would love a nice couch for the first time in my adult life.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 1:42 am

try macy's, or other big dept store, I'm sure they all have identical merch, since they're all owned by a few conglomerates. just got one for $529 w/free delivery to my home. same looking thing as one at ikea, but cheaper! believe it! plus warranty!
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 2:01 am

try ikea, if only for the cinnamon rolls.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 2:09 am

ikea has extremely uncomfortable couches.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 2:33 am

I think I am going the "Big Dept Store" route for all the amenities that margo mentioned, esp, free delivery. It is high time we splurge on something that we spend all winter perched on watching crime and sports, you know?
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 2:40 am

this cheap couch is very comfortable.

plus when I barf on it & the stains won't come out they'll replace it for free.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 2:33 pm

Check to see if there are any furniture stores going out of buisness. Like Rhodes here in Memphis. You'll have to deal w/annoying, desperate salesfolk, but might get a great deal.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:20 pm

I've got a $2,000 italian microfiber couch that you can have.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:13 pm

I have a couch from Ikea and it's very comfortable. It only cost $249 too.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:45 pm

Did it go through a huge flood?
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 4:47 pm

Don't buy real furniture from Ikea. Ikea doesn't make real furniture. They make laminated partical board monstrosities for wannabe home decorator types that think they're being kitsch and different by purchasing sleek swedish products. Same thing for Dania. You will be cursing for hours trying to understand their cute, pictographic installation instructions, that is if you're lucky enough to have found them after slicing your hand open on their cleverly designed, flat cardboard boxes, # 4 of 5 (where is that damn #5 - I need my dowells, stat). You might as well subscribe to Budget Living.

Seriously, I like Ikea for only two things - some kitchen gadgets and textiles. The rest of their shit is shit.

I think you're screwed for cheap and good. I just had a similar dilemma and spent the last nine months in passive/agressive coach search mode. Went to the Myer & Frank warehouse sale twice. They had okay things but I'm not into the new microfibre crap. Hollywood Dania had some nice things but they were a bit too expensive. There's that place that's at the foot of E. Burnside bridge, but it was always closed. I ended up getting something from City Liquidators, believe it or not. It was $500 and made, I think, from some local manufacturor.

My two cents, again, is that I've had two separate Ikea couches, both purchased because they were affordable, both sucked and were back breakers. I couldn't even give them to goodwill.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 5:08 pm

Don't worry--we aren't spending the gas to drive to Seattle just to buy an Ikea couch. We just want something comfortable and not disgusting looking. Meier & Frank may end up being the place. We can always buy a slipcover if the upholstery is awful.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 5:33 pm

Fiery, do you have Sofa Express out there? We got two couches from there, reasonably priced, very comfy, you can pick the fabric for free, AND they have free delivery. Lots of fabric to choose from, too. Good deal.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 7:11 pm

Seriously, I like Ikea for only two things - some kitchen gadgets and textiles. The rest of their shit is shit.

Generally agreed, but two exceptions (which happen to be the only two Ikea products I own):

- metal-framed platform beds: the welding is obviously done by Chinese children, but they're built like tanks.

- shelf for LPs: I forget the stupid name for this (Expedit?), but it looks like a series of cubes, all which happen to be 13-14" square. It holds 1000+ records for only $99. The documentation claims that each shelf can only support like 10 pounds, but load it from the bottom up, and you're fine. I just wouldn't risk getting the bigger/taller version of it. Just about every serious record collector I know has at least one of these.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 7:56 pm

I have the bigger taller version... the $149 one and it's loaded from top to bottom and is fine. I love it!! About to buy another one, because that one is full.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:03 pm

Did it go through a huge flood?

Well, yes. But the mold all over it means it's even softer!
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:16 pm

Just about every serious record collector I know has at least one of these.

I've looked into this, too, because they're not hideous and we've outgrown our current shelf in the last couple of months(two people with big habits in a very small apartment), and I keep tripping over the stacks of LPs leaning against things. The only problem with the Expedit things is that the frame is too large and they're a bit too deep. Our apartment is really, really small and they're just too big. Someday...

As a rule, though, anything from Ikea that is stuffed or nailed together is a piece of crap.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:49 pm

Good to buy new if you can find a design that you like and it's well built, but as far as not breaking the bank; you get what you pay for.
My girlfriend and I bought a kick-ass 50s modern couch and chair set a while back for 12 hundred bucks and while it's cool and all, it's already got holes in it because the upholstery is so old. I've taken now to just building my own furniture. It's worth it if you've got the skills.
Build your own.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 8:55 pm

Come build me a jungle gym.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 9:02 pm

You live on the east coast now. There are trees everywhere.
Plenty of friends for you too... in the Bronx Zoo.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 9:04 pm

I kicked it with a silverback gorilla there this year! He smiled at me!
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 10:21 pm

They do that when they're horny.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:28 am

Not that you are going to, but DO NOT buy a futon. Worst mistake of my life. Really uncomfortable to sit on, slightly possible to sleep in.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 1:26 am

Yeah, I fell into that trap when I first moved here. I fear that we are in for a really bad shopping experience for this couch. Wish us luck.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 10:24 am

Yeah, I fell into that trap when I first moved here. I fear that we are in for a really bad shopping experience for this couch. Wish us luck.

Just commit suicide.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 2:38 pm

I have had the 4x4 square Expedit from Ikea for a little while now and it's worked great for records. Good thing is that it doesn't have long shelves that will warp from the weight, but I guess I'll wait and see how long it holds up.
Got a chair with big cushions there too, although I'm not to happy with it so far. Very stiff and not very comfortable.
Never buy silverware from there if its made up of 2 pieces. Forks, knives, and spoons all fell apart within 6 months.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:14 pm

Yea I bought a couch from a friend for $75 a few months ago and I'm ready to kick it to the curb. But we don't have the money for a new one, so we are stuck with it 'til tax return time. At least it is comfortable. My friend told me it was "beige" but it's actually off white, so it's already stained and funkified from living in our house for a few months (cats, baby, we are slobs, I'll admit it...!) Value City Furniture is where we generally make our new furniture purchases but I don't think you will be able to find them outside of Ohio or the Midwest. We did have a '68 Kroeller sofa bed we got at the Thrift for $150, it was good while it lasted. It eventually self destructed.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:17 pm

Some friend!

Anyone ever bought anything from Norwalk furniture? Apparently you can pick whatever style you want and choose the fabric and they'll have it ready for delivery in 30 days. The closest one here is in Lake Oswego which might mean "too much money".
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:24 pm

You mean, Lake No-negros?
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:26 pm

You mean, Lake No-negros?

Yessir. We don't need your kind neither. (how did you know?)
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:33 pm

My uncle lives there. Apperently spics are ok.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:38 pm

Well, the spics across the hall fixing up the apartment need to fuck off. They are screaming and yelping as they use the nailgun. I think the landlord picks em up on Burnside every morning and drops them off here to "work". There are also these very tweaker-esque dudes who have been replacing the roof for about the last month & a half.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 9:42 pm

Just give 'em a pinata and they'll be ok. Get 'em one that looks like Kemp Boyd and hang it up with a noose.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:14 am

tweaker dudes doing roofing?

no way.

actually, me and jason did some roofing last night. fake fixed my garage roof that got tore up during Katrina! Hello FEMA!

but i don't think i was tweaky enough to do it right.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 2:31 am

There's that place West Elm that just opened in the Pearl. It's like a "slightly" more upscale Ikea. My brother bought a bed there, and has since moved, so I bought it from him, and it's held up and looks pretty cool. And I think he only paid, like, $300 for it brand new.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 3:32 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

I'll check that West Elm place too.

Well, I looked in that apartment and realized the tweaker/Mexican dudes w/o visas combo had TOTALLY ripped out the fireplace from top to bottom (1st & 2nd floors) and there is basically no living room wall on the south side of the house. I am afraid the whole house is going to fall down.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:11 am

west elm is a "cooler," more urban division of pottery barn. lotsa mid-century rip off stuff, some of it looks pretty good and for new stuff it can be the right price -- cheaper than crate & barrel but not as cheap as ikea.

I have a great iron frame bed from ikea. my leather couch came from the pottery barn outlet for around $500. no complaints (I've had it for 4 years) except that my dogs sleep and eat on it and it has a few stains, but it doesn't look too godawful since it's brown leather. very comfy and a great investment as far as I'm concerned.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:55 am

Yea I bought a couch

Yea though verilly I command mine feet to to wander t'wards the barter place, eyeing the bedding acoutriment proprietor, and, FORSOOTH! I rambled with dreary, forlorn, and weak with age'd eye down the cockswain to behold ye comforter and and post!

"Yea" should be "Yeah"

I have mentioned that I am a dork before, but, "Yea" vs. "Yeah" takes the cake.

Meanwhile, couches at Sears are affordable. If you hate the calico print, cover that shit with some fabric from Hancocks. Sears makes 'em comfy and affordable.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:03 am

I have mentioned that I am a dork before, but, "Yea" vs. "Yeah" takes the cake.

FINALLY, someone who's more of a vocab pedant than I am....
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 4:43 pm

We need a new couch too, but I think we are gonna get it from CB2, because we got a lot of Crate and Barrell gift certificates at the wedding.

West Elm is cheap?! I had no idea. I save their catalogs for project ideas but I never looked at the prices.

I can't wait to have a workshop.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:30 pm

I looked at the West Elm site and it is pretty damn cheap and some of the stuff is indeed, as Andria mentioned, mid-century rip-off stuff, but as everyone is charging an arm & a leg these days for original mid-century stuff, I am not above a West Elm console.

What a sentence.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:51 pm

Yeah, I saw a really cool wood headboard that I want to copy. I am an uber cheapskate lately, so I probably won't be buying anything other than a refrigerator and a couch for a year.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:57 pm

I don't wanna sound like I'm pushing City Liquidators, but, the sofa I got was pretty good. It's a Stanton (can't remember the style/model) which is a company based out of Tualatin. I'm sure other stores in town sell their stuff too. I don't know what their whole catalog is but it was nice to be able to pick out the fabric and all that and then they make it for you. All the sofas I saw were in that $450+ range.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 5:59 pm

The word "sofa" has always bothered me.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:50 pm

We'll check out the "sofa" situation there. Yeah, I hear you, I always thought sofa was like saying "pop". I never said "soda" either until I moved to the West Coast, it was always "Coke".
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 7:53 pm

Now that's just dumb. Who calls orange soda "coke?" It ain't coke!
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:06 pm

I got's relatives on the east coast. They call everything "coke." Weirdos.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:07 pm

When I call my dealer I ask for orange soda.
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:15 pm

Is there any difference between a couch and a sofa or is just a regional thing?
Also, how does a davenport figure into the couch/sofa discussion?
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:15 pm

I always thought that was just a southern thing. My relatives from TX call every kind of soda "coke".
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:34 pm

Sidebar re: sofas - I just finished reading an advance copy of "Chasing the Perfect: Thoughts on Modernist Design in Our Time" by Natalia Ilyin (Blonde Like Me) She has an epiphany of sorts when (broke) she considers shilling for some happening young furniture designer in Manhattan. During their initial meeting he laughs about someone approaching him to design a sofa...Natalia "You don't do sofas?", to which he responds horrified, "People sit on them!"
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:46 pm

My grandmother calls a couch/sofa a "davenport".
Posted: Oct 5, 2005 9:04 pm

"Yea" should be "Yeah"

Oh, come on. (or should I say "O Come hear ye?")

That's cute.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 12:47 am | Edited by: hollis brown

Bazooka. It ain't dumb when all you ever drink is Coke. If I wanted to live wild, I'd order a 7-UP or Fanta Orange...but I'd just call em by their propah name. I'd never crave simply a "soda". It is a Southern thing. We have manners.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 12:52 am

and mine calls it a chesterfield. cultural differences!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 1:19 am

I got's relatives on the east coast. They call everything "coke." Weirdos.
In Britain we used to say lemonade for just about everything. Although my cousin has been known to order a fizzy orange when frequenting american diners.

And sofa was always settee.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 1:28 am

[Is there any difference between a couch and a sofa or is just a regional thing?
Also, how does a davenport figure into the couch/sofa discussion?

texture, volume, and color all play a part in the deciding factor...
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 2:40 am

i think a davenport doesn't have arms
that sounds like a punchline to a joke i don't understand...
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 3:51 pm | Edited by: kemp_boyd

Just give 'em a pinata and they'll be ok. Get 'em one that looks like Kemp Boyd and hang it up with a noose.

I'll make a fat pinata outta you, Sasa.....Goners, get on line !!
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:27 pm

I thought Ohio was the only place where people called soft drinks "pop"... the first time I went to NYC I told my friend I wanted a pop and she was like "WHAT?" And I said "you know, like Coke?" And she was like "You mean SODA." I later learned that most of the East Coast called it soda... I think.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:32 pm

I later learned that most of the East Coast called it soda... I think.

old timers in boston call it "tonic".
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:51 pm

I think the whole midwest calls it pop.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:23 pm

Yeah, I started calling it soda just to be understood outside of the South b/c I sure as hell wasn't gonna say "pop".

The first time I heard "pop" was from a Northwest Airlines flight attendant out of Minneapolis, "Wahnt some PAHP?" Ugh. The most disgusting accent known to man.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:28 pm

I think the whole midwest calls it pop.

We call it soda up here in Wisconsin.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:29 pm

The most disgusting accent known to man.

Once again I gotta give it up to the Dutch. It sounds like they smell.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 9:29 pm

Actually most people say sohh-dahh.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 11:04 pm

Posted: Oct 6, 2005 11:22 pm

I love you Donkey.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 11:22 pm

re: Norwalk - you can choose your fabric and sofa/couch style, but it is hella expensive. As I recall the cheapest one I saw was at least $2500. They may have a discounted style now, but that was way more than I wanted to spend.

For what it's worth: I ended up buying a Jetton which was about $1000, but comes with a lifetime guarantee on the construction and 5 year guarantee on the fabric. It was a big expense up front but is very comfortable and still looks brand new after 3 years.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 1:19 am

WHOA. No Norwalk for these people. We will likely have to wait until tax returns and then go to Sears or City Liquidators.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®