Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 8:27 pm

I am beginning to realize I've been comatose for the past 3 years and I know this band has been discussed on this board b4 but DEERHOOF, really? Saw these guys last night. what's REALLY going on?

lotta stuff out by these guys. anyone know where to start?
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 1:08 am

they blow
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 1:54 am

Mank-

Some day men of math will inherit the earth. You'll find me at Capn D's on Union.

Rosenthal
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 2:19 am

Great. thanks dug. Now everybody knows. Way to go. jeez

CApn Rosenthal, can you please order me a 2 piece fish dinner?

autumnee tonight!
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 2:50 am

I say give them a pass, Matthew. But then again, I am no longer "cool".
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 3:03 am

This band are treated as GODS round here. They played here three times in the last year. i vote them ANNOYING
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 8:01 am

very popular with coffee shop folks, they tend to like Joanna Newsome too.. Deerhoof= Math Rock. new age prog rock with a hint of Melt Banana.

im an expert, ya see.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 8:06 am

Straight answer from a fucking nut:

'Reveille'

'Apple O'

the new one's good and so is 'Milk Man' but these two are the, um, SHIT

like, even riffs garage rcokers would totally, um, enjoy?

um, HATE
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 1:38 pm

thanks Heir ick.

picked up Milk Man & AppleO. both good but not what I saw live.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 1:52 pm

btdubya fiery, sorry to hear yr not cool anymore. I work w. dug and I know he's got 'special needs.' and besides he went and saw the Drive by Truckers last night so what does he know.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 2:41 pm

My friend saw Joanna Newsome walk into a CRYSTAL SHOP!
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 3:05 pm

Joanna Newsom= tickle me Elmo, playing a harp and singing really bad folk
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 3:16 pm

elf music
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 3:17 pm | Edited by: Jay

the drummer has a degree in 20th century composition, which explains their fucked upedness. i'm a fan, but like you, didn't really give them a listen until almost a year ago. actually i guess it was this past may. whatever.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 3:55 pm

what about KITTY PAW?
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 5:24 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Yeah, I gave up on the "cool" thing about 3 years back. Actually, it is a huge relief. Kinda nice not having to know what the gratingly annoying elfin folk blues is when I crawl out of the house to get coffee. I guess I am still a little cool if you are over 30, but young shop girls at Buffalo Exchange call me "ma'am".
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 5:55 pm

My roomate listens to this shit. Joanna Newsom, White Magic, Arcade Fire, etc. It all starts to bleed together and sound the same after a while. I recently got her hooked on Reigning Sound, though, so now she plays that a lot, which is great.

But, yeah, that Joanna Newsom... she sounds like death.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 6:32 pm | Edited by: Matthew

ok stop.
for the record
Deerhoof sounds NOTHING like elf music, Joanna Newsom, or the god forbid the Arcade Fire(it pains me to even type this) That's all I have to say'bout that. freeassociate on.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 6:46 pm

Yep, they don't. They sound like pretentious art-school confidential boys with rote Japanese shrieking screechorama. Less annoying than elfin magic Newsom, but still they grate. I never saw 'em live though.

I have never heard Arcade Fire or the horribly named (shudder) Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah...describe.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 6:49 pm

I'm actually going to see Clap Your Hands, Etc. tonight. I've yet to hear them, but a good friend swears they're great, and already purchased tickets, so I can't really weasel out of it. From what I've read, though, they're just another Interpol/Franz Ferdinand type band.

Their name is really retarded.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 7:03 pm

Clap Your Hands
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Shout Out Louds
5,6,7,8's
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 7:10 pm

Sounds totally gay! I'm there!

Buy my perfume!
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 7:20 pm

White Magic is good.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 8:43 pm

Math Rock is an obnoxious term. This music is just as 'math' as a 4/4 beat. I like shit that sounds like it's being pulled apart and put back together again. this it does and does well ala US Maple and Don Caballero.

Based on one terrific live show I can say this...

So Deerhoof falls under this umbrella and If They sound like pretentious art-school confidential boys I'm not sure what to say except 'to each his own' or something like 'it takes one to know one'?...it's certainly subjective. If they sing with rote Japanese shrieking screechorama. it stands to reason as the singer is Japanese while the white boys in the band play 'pretentious' music that is well..pretentious and white. Sounds like a good time tested formula to me.

Arcade Fire? Don't worry about it.
Ever heard Polyphonic Spree? Don't worry about it.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 9:24 pm

US Maple = suck, Don Cab = swallow, Drive By Truckers = a limp dick
I only went because it was free to get in and free booze, and I wantes to try and fuck a midget.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 9:27 pm

If anybody wants to talk about good music, talk about the new Sons of Cyrus record Rock and Rollercoaster. Anybody have crap to say about them?
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 9:46 pm

They sound like pretentious art-school confidential boys I'm not sure what to say except 'to each his own' or something like 'it takes one to know one'?

OUCH!!!! Matthew!!!! I thought we were friends! But you are somehow right, wow. Or ow.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 9:48 pm

of course we are. it takes one to know one.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 10:14 pm

if that's the record that alicja's on (the sons of cyrus), it's good!
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 10:25 pm

yea it's the same one, her song is one of the best on the record.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 12:39 am

I just listend to Deerhoof for the first time. I figured I would like it because I went to college, but I didn't. Maybe the music is prejudiced against me because I'm fat.

Rat Traps: April should sing all of your songs in kitty kat mew meow voice and change band name to My Unhappy Birthday. Sweatervests in summer only, regular sweaters mandatory the rest of the year.
Posted: Oct 2, 2005 6:45 pm

for Fireydrunks goggles only.

I took a swipe at you with the ''takes one to no one."
Here's why...upon watching the band whose namesake is the title of this thread I thought to myself 'gee, these guys seem like a lot of fun. I really like what they're doing and they seem to be having a lot of fun w. each other. They even seem like the kind of folks I'd wanna hang around w. and stuff.' that actually went through my mind and lo and behold after hanging around w. a couple of em after the show, turns out they do seem to be a fine lot. That's why I took the 'pretentious' remark personally. If they are indeed pretentious it is in the same manner as you and I. That's why it takes one to know one.

Sorry 'bout the swipe.
Posted: Oct 2, 2005 7:03 pm

I like 'Apple O.'
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 4:24 pm

It sucks to hear bands learn how to play well and write interesting music.They should just stick to the garage rock formula that's already deemed cool by the unpretentious kick ass scene.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 4:55 pm

Matthew Goggles:

You know I hold nothing against you--I guess I was a snap too judgemental AGAIN. They are actually friends with a really great guy from PDX who is the farthest from pretentious. Just forget it and go buy me a donut.

Much luv up in the club.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:28 pm

picked up Milk Man & AppleO. both good but not what I saw livequoting myself but upon further listenings these are really good.

-forever buyin fierydrunkn donuts
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 5:53 pm

Yeah, the new one's pretty good, but it's way too long and there's some really "normal" shit on it. Make sure you get 'Revielle', that's probably my favorite.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 8:24 pm

forever buyin fierydrunkn donuts

Make sure to bring one the next time I am in NYC--we are thinking about coming out there in the Spring. Have you been to Queen's Hideaway yet? That is Ryan's fren's, Liza and Cari's restaurant.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 10:02 pm | Edited by: Matthew

Glad you reminded me,.,.,passed the place on my bike but haven't been in yet...assuming that's the one from the Time's article.
Posted: Oct 6, 2005 10:28 pm

Yup. Apparently it has gotten great reviews--I know the woman can cook her ass off.
Posted: Oct 7, 2005 12:29 am

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®