Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / LIVE FROM THE SHATTERDOME
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 4:57 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

I don't know how it happened, but I'm in a suite right now at the Windsor Court, which would be like a $500/night room had our city not been destroyed. I'm not staying here but the night manager was kind enough to let me use her suite during the day.

The city is fuckin AWESOME. Total road warrior action. The first night we stayed at bateman's place, sans electricity. There was nobody around for blocks and blocks. We sat on the porch drinking warm cans of busch and killed a fifth of jim beam. The national guard rolled up at one point in a convoy of six humvees to check on us and see if we actually lived there. They just ignored our drunkenness, the beercans littered on the front yard, and the 45 caliber pistol on the porch. They shook our hands and told us to have a good night. A totally de-domesticated dog kept wandering around the street. It didn't even acknowledge us. We kept trying to give it food and water but it kept running away. Eventually it ate some chunks of summer sausage, but we had to throw them way across the street.

Everything is fucked up. There is not a single place in the city where you can stand and look around and not see any signs of destruction. Even in the neighborhoods that weren't flooded, probably half the buildings have roof damage. Signs = gone. Most traffic lights are totally mangled by wind. Tree debris is everywhere. Some houses have completely collapsed. This is uptown I'm talking about, where they want to start letting people come back.

Cops are driving around in these makeshift police cars, cobbled together from pieces of other cop cars that were destroyed. There are cop cars with no headlights, there are regular cars that just have "NOPD" spray painted on them. At the 2nd district police station there is a RTA bus with "POLICE" spray painted all over it in silver spray paint.

If we were third world before the hurricane, I don't know what we are now.

Here are pictures I've taken of the house, my neighborhood, and a couple other things:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_martel/sets/1039778

As soon as I can find a place to live I'm coming back. There is just too much weirdness to see, I can't stay away.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:10 pm

Brand New Pole In Backyard Survives!
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:30 pm

Do you think your appliances still work?
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:33 pm

Shit, its heartbreaking seeing that if you'd put your albums just one shelf higher they'd have been out of the water.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:40 pm

get to scrubbing there scrubby scrubblepants.
that dog is HOT!
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:41 pm

I think most of the records didn't take on water, actually, but they are all moldy and smell like shit now anyway. If I keep them I'll have to throw all the sleeves away.

appliances are most likely destroyed. the fridge is going straight to the curb without even attempting to turn it on- I am not going to clean that fucking nasty thing out.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:42 pm

From what looks to be the water line, I'm assuming the TV was completely under water, yes?
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:48 pm

the lines on the wall are interesting. the water was actually only knee deep, but the moisture somehow crept up the wall in a perfect horizontal line. So the chest-high line on some of the walls is actually just where mold has grown, and there was no water. it is totally surreal in there. and it smells like, well, mold.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:58 pm

Top Tip: Clean the LP jackets with anti-mildew spray on a scrubber. Spray the inside and leave them to dry. They'll be all fucked up but won't smell and wont have mould on. I did that to some of mine when I lived in a shitty damp house and the roof collapsed while I was away on holiday.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:58 pm

Posted: Sep 29, 2005 5:59 pm

I had to copy this to post on MySpace; I hope you are OK with that. Keep up the scrubbin'. Is there anywhere close enough with water/electricity to do laundry???
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 6:50 pm

I did laundry at bateman's place last night. Oodles of seersucker was spared a moldy demise.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 8:34 pm

i'm confused -- how did your remote controls and all that other stuff stay in place if it was submerged? jeez guy, sorry about your place.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 8:54 pm

The mold....scary.

The bed...scarier.

The fact that YOUR wardrobe, of all peoples, survived...scariest.
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 9:12 pm

I love you Norah.

Why so many photos of the 'Byrne' house, what/whose are they?
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 10:46 pm

david byrne....like duh!
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 10:48 pm

please tell me your black turtle-neck survived! i may be down there soon................tooooodles brah
Posted: Sep 29, 2005 11:27 pm

I did laundry at bateman's place last night. Oodles of seersucker was spared a moldy demise.

Thank tha lawd for that. Next on the list, save the leather in the home. And the weird clown doll.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 2:23 am

man, martel...this is so shattered. can the house be saved?!?! I spent a week in that house! I love that house. You seem to be taking it pretty well. please, please don't throw the records out. there's got to be a way. at least the 45's can be saved?!?! is bateman goin' back? I can't wait to see you all again. my boss at the opera wants me to come back and work. I asked "where the hell am I gonna sleep?" he said, well, either A. at the wearhouse, or B. at his place (which has no power, and is missing part of the roof...) WTF!?!?
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 2:31 am

Opera in Hell!

Swamp creatures attack patrons!

this is just like the original founding of New Orleans- fancy pantsed Frenchies wearing tuxedos and having dances in the swamp.

I'm afraid for Mr Goodbody lp.

mardis gras gonna be somethin else this year.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 3:47 am

You can stay with us. we can install a faux cabana under the skylight and I'll even give you your gin in a coconut.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 2:58 pm

hey blythe! are you in NOLA now? cuz i'm coming down to salvage what i can of Rocks Off (still got ta make that money ya'eard) on Monday.....i think, if everything falls into place. i will need a place to crash my brain. maybe my tuner didn't float away. i'm gonna need something to pawn for crack. life sucks die motherfuckers
Cjihad
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 4:50 pm

Hey man, GET A BUCKET!
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 6:33 pm

Wow, that's crazy. Nice photos. Good luck with all that weirdness.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 7:09 pm

A little off subject for a second,but by "signs=gone" i have to assume some of my favorite signs in the city (which were llocated by I-10) no longer exist and will probably not be rebuilt. I'm specifically referring to the Blue Plate Mayonnaise neon sign (actually not by i-10 but near Xavier and Channel 8 bldg.) and that Crystal Hot Suace billboard right off the i10 that i used to like to drive by when i took Acid on a semi-regular basis (that giant chef always freaked me out,maaan). Just thought about that on the way back out here to PDX.

Make no mistake about it,i'm coming back-- it just might take me 9mos. to a year. I gots to have enough $$$ to buy amps,gits and drum kits for everyone to use,and a van to haul everyone around in. I'll see what i can about getting there sooner,but for now that's a ballpark guesstimate.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 7:13 pm

joe, you left 3 silverking t-shirts, 2 hats, and the silver crown at my apartment. you want 'em back?

off topic: i took 68 empties out of my living room last night.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 8:02 pm

Blythe's in Memphis, going to school... j-dawg, batman, and martell are probably still down therrr. holla.
Posted: Sep 30, 2005 10:18 pm

actually, they're back up herrr now.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 12:21 am

Joe: Blue Plate Sign is missing the "mayonnaise." Crystal sign missing the "Cr" and a few other pieces. Those are right in my neighborhood. But I'd say 75% of business signs are gone, street signs got fucked up real bad also. A couple of my favorites, Venezia Pizza and Angelo Brocato got their signs fucked up bad, but they may be repairable, if those places ever go back in business.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 12:26 am

Also, WTIX is on the air!!!
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 12:34 am

wow... Chris... that mold... good luck with cleaning it up. what a surreal thing
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 12:39 am

personally I am very concerned about this sign: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_martel/35653064/in/set-788750/

it was in waveland, ms. one can only assume it was blown into 1000 tiny bits.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 2:58 am

I finally made it back on wednesday morning after sleeping in the back of a van outside of Baton Rouge while watching a trucker practice his bullwhip skills, terribly at that...am staying at my bosses house in midcity...no power...this computer is powered by a generator baby!

Mid-City is definitely fucked up, but not as bad as i would have imagined...rode around last night on my bike and had my first beers at Mollys yesterday afternoon...most bars are opening up...drank at balcony and rendezvous last night...almost got stranded uptown as well due to curfew...some guys gave me fourty bucks to leave them alone...and some other guy was trying to give me fifty bucks finder's fee if i could find a bag of coke...unfortunately i failed...its nice to see that everyone's spending their FEMA money so wisely...also apparently blackfire revelation is playing tonight at BrownEyedJacks....shits coming back pretty quickly...

Favorite signs: "FUCK FEMA FUCK BUSH I'M GOING TO TEXAS"
abd the washateria up the street is now the "SHATeria" brah!

Chad...answer your fucking phone and empty your mailbox...
my birtyday is on sunday so come on down a day early and hang...
well get fucked up...also i'm on welfare! exploiting the system rules!
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 5:54 am

wow. those pictures. I'm headed down by the 14th to help my parents clear out what they can.

They aren't staying and are planning to put the land and house up for sale when everyone starts wanting to move back. They might not have had the intense flooding. They live on a double lot over by Hayne Blvd- near the eerie dry area.

Hope to see some of you when I get down there.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 3:06 pm

matt muscle - find me an apartment.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 5:18 pm

Well WR,i'm glad to see those signs are at least in that much of an OK condition! At least they'e repairable so the assholes will have a harder time justifying their demolition.I bet that Pawn Shop sign is a goner (and pretty Goner aesthetically from where i'm standin' while it was up),as is 99.9% of Waveland based on what i've heard and seen... suxsuxsux.

I also have to shed a tear for the probably devastated-beyond-all-hope "Everybody Loves A Good Egg"( referenced in Down By Law!) and "Mr. Wedding Cake" signs,and i can only imagine there's no more Chicken In A Box or Cosimo Matassa's studio,as they were both in flood-ravaged Gentilly (I actually used to live in that neighborhood in the early90s). No more Gentilly Woods,Abandoned Falstaff Brewery or Luzianne building either i reckon. Not to come off like a namedropper,just a little thinking out loud thru this thread. Anyone that doesn't think these structures aren't as important to New Orleans's character as the French Quarter is a fucking tourist.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 5:22 pm

Oh,and before i forget- did you get a chance to talk to any insurance adjusters about your property yet,WR? I assume you're planning to sell if you're looking for an apt.

OK,no more questions!

Now i'll let you get back to your mold scrubbing... Best Of Luck on that!
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 8:24 pm

Hey Muscle....i've been trying to call you. all i get is your dumb message and the other phone is being picked up by alexis' brother. he seems nice. he said he would relay my message cuz you'd probably be back soon!!! hahahahadhadh. i will be there on monday...i'll try to leave sunday, but mama might not have it. i'm broke so save some FEMA for me. oh yeah and i haven't heard my phone ringalingling.
chad
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 9:54 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Does scrubbing really get rid of that toxic black mold???? I am hearing that once that shit gets ahold of you house, you have to tear it down.
Posted: Oct 1, 2005 11:40 pm

Muscle is probably already in jail down there.

I'm looking for an apt. because I can't live in my house right now. but I am going to fix that place up if the insurance will pay for it, which it better. then maybe I'll sell, maybe move back in, who knows.

falstaff brewery is fine and so is the sign on top. they better not tear it down. I don't think it's in any worse condition since it was abandoned. Dixie brewery, however, got flooded pretty bad. I don't think anyone's going to be drinking dixie beer for a while.
Posted: Oct 2, 2005 4:31 am

I drove by your place yesterday, Martel, and I saw that you'd been there, although I was surprised by the lack of debris in front of your house. You need to get that shit out of there asap if you hope to save anything.

We actually managed to save our $2500 bed (just the frame obviously) which was made out of some kind of Indonesian wood that apparently doesn't mind being submerged in piss & petrochemicals for days on end. Been busy cleaning out our house for the last EIGHT fucking days now. Progress is slow, although roughly 50% of our shit is now on the front lawn...so I see a light at the end of the fudge-tunnel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68094705@N00/48171249/

In between trying to clean & dry out the house in mid-city, everyday I've been commuting (3 fucking hours) to & from Baton Cocksucking Rouge --moving shit from here to our new pad on the 3rd floor of Daisy's Mom's house in Kenner. The Kenner house is fucking huge, and even the 3rd floor is 1500 sq feet, so it looks like we'll be living there full-time during The Rebuild. I can't imagine the reconstruction process taking less than a year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes two, so we bought 2 new A/C's for our new pad, a new mattress & box spring, and I've been scouting Loyd Price blvd in Kenner for potential coke connections.

I went to Molly's for beers Wednesday too, Matt. Found a little something something when I was there. You need to talk to the Mexican Clean-Up Crews. The ones I met claimed to be from Florida, and they told me 'They don't call it PensiCOLA for nothing, mang.'

Going back again tomorrow to lay some carpet in Kenner, and head back to mid-city to feed the stray animals in my neighborhood--and maybe start knocking out some walls. Call me on Daisy's cell if any of ya'll need anything.
Posted: Oct 2, 2005 4:58 am | Edited by: unfriendly1

Sorry. I meant LLOYD PRICE BLVD., of course...

http://www.history-of-rock.com/price.htm
Posted: Oct 2, 2005 7:20 pm

Gary, did you meet with your insurance adjuster already? I'm kind of reluctant to do a lot of work without at least talking to an adjuster first, and those motherfuckers haven't even assigned me one yet.

I'll be back down there on like tuesday to start doing the dirty work.
Posted: Oct 2, 2005 7:21 pm

the other problem is I have no place to store anything that is salvagable.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:13 am

I hear ya man. We haven't had any luck getting an Allstate adjuster to our house yet either, but neither has the attorney who lives next door to us, and he's already ripped his sheet-rock out...and all of his contents are out on the curb.

The rationale behind our action:

A) We've got TONS of photos of every concievable inch of our house, as well as pix of all The Stuff we lost--both before and after the storm.

B) We wanted to get the wet shit out of the house as quickly as possible so we could spray the walls and floors with bleach & water to try to retard the spread of mold. As a side-note, lemme tell ya, dragging that shit outside really helps with the odor problem. I mean, as recently as today we were finding huge (3'x4') plastic storage bins that were filled to the fucking rim with ass-water. As you might imagine, just getting that kinda shit outside really REALLY helps.

C) The insurance company will probably fuck us anyway, so why sit around & wait for them to make it official? This lawyer Daisy works with is telling us since we were flooded, and our flood insurance trumps our home-owners insurance, then NOT ONLY do we get fucked out of an obscene amount of our content $, but the cocksuckers only give you DEPRECIATED FUCKING VALUE on the shit that got wet. So, as an example, our fucking $6000 cental a/c unitl is 8 years old, so I'm sure they'll tell us NOW it's only worth 30 fucking cents, ya know? Everybody's insurance seems to be completley different though, and until we see how this plays out, we really don't know if we're going to get dicked or not, but from what I'm hearing from a lot of people around town, I'm bracing myself for a stiff one.

Good luck Chris, and give me a call on Daisy's cell if you need help Tuesday getting the heavy shit out of your house. I've got to meet an electrician in Kenner tomorrow, and then a plumber on Tuesday...and in a perfect world, I'll get the Cox internet people out on Wednesday or Thursday.

When all that falls into place, THEN I can move the fuck out of Baton Rouge and hopefully watch it burn to the ground one day soon from the comfort of my luxurious 3rd floor Kenner shit-hole attic apartment.
Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:22 am

Oh, and we got a call today from the dude's who did all the (initial) renovations in our house when we turned it from a double to a single. One of the guys is the head carpenter at the Audubon Zoo, and the other is the head electrician at the Aquarium. They just formed a business together, and they put us 1st on their list. They've got a crew of 6 dudes and they claim that they'll be at our house by Wednesday or Thursday of this week to put up a temporary power pole, and rip out the sheet-rock. I'm going to be a helper just to help cut down on our labor cost. I'll give 'em your name and address if you'd like. Just let me know.
Posted: Oct 4, 2005 5:57 am

Happy belated Birthday, Matt Muscle!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®